Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I have some questions about the genetics in the Sims 4

I have a nice couple, a woman blonde with blue eyes and a man brown haired with green eyes. They had two kids recently. And I thought their genetics would mix. But their daughter came out with blonde hair and blue eyes and their son came out with brown hair and green eyes. And of course cause the kids are toddlers they have a similar face shape to their daddy which is very round, while their mom has a longer/skinnier face shape. I have a feeling they'll take over their parents in looks in the future, the daughter will develop a face and body much like her mom's when her brother develops a face and body like their dad.

I'm not disappointed! Far from it. But I don't know. I guess I was eager to see if they would have mixed features. Like hair from mom and eyes from dad, or hair from dad and eyes from mom. But they came out with the genetics of their same sex parent. I don't know, maybe it's cause they were the first two the genetics didn't mix and be more unique. Or maybe the genetics don't mix in Sims 4.

I'm curious why they didn't mix, and do the hair from one parent and eyes from the other parent thing like I described above. Please be kind to me when explaining.

Comments

• MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    Hey, I think this may just be a coincidence for you. Unless it’s a glitch I don’t know about, I have had many cases of parents with completely different looks (eg - mom w/ light skin, red hair, blue eyes, and dad with darker, asian looking features) combine and have a child that looks somewhere in between. I have also had the genetics be separate, but more commonly for me they mix. If you want to test this, you could have two parents that are completely different (eg- a white mom and a black dad) have a child and see if the genetics are mixed or not.
  • AnitalifegurlAnitalifegurl Posts: 281 Member
    Hey, I think this may just be a coincidence for you. Unless it’s a glitch I don’t know about, I have had many cases of parents with completely different looks (eg - mom w/ light skin, red hair, blue eyes, and dad with darker, asian looking features) combine and have a child that looks somewhere in between. I have also had the genetics be separate, but more commonly for me they mix. If you want to test this, you could have two parents that are completely different (eg- a white mom and a black dad) have a child and see if the genetics are mixed or not.

Interesting results you got :smiley: And I'm sure your sim kid was beautiful/handsome mix of the two!

And well it's been a while after I made this post, and I gained 2 more kids since from the same couple. But these two are different :smiley: They are fraternal twins, one girl and one boy. The girl gained dad's hair and mom's eyes and the boy gained his mom's hair and dad's eyes just like I had described :smiley: I never thought they'd be twins tho when making this post lol. But they swapped some features from their other parent so they are like a mix of both of them.

It was an insane coincidence for me to gain twins of what I described I wanted to see happen with the genetics happen! :smiley:

And playing with the genetics is very fun in the game, so I'd be nice to welcome some more races into my sims' house and see what might happen lol.

Thanks for commenting! And I like the hair pieces in your sim's hair in the profile picture you have :smiley: I've never seen those in the game so it's probably from some expansion XD I only have the base game for now. And I never tried to change my profile picture on this site XD And I don't know which of my sims I'd make it :/ Hmm, that might be something for me to think about getting soon lol. :smiley:
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I think the genetics are random. I could be wrong, but there seems to be a 50/50 chance for everything.

I have a big save with plenty of differing family tree branches and generations of each one; I've experienced a good mix of everything with my Sims. I've had some share a perfect mix of their parents, others who took most of the features from one parent. It's all just chance.
    I think the genetics are random. I could be wrong, but there seems to be a 50/50 chance for everything.

I have a big save with plenty of differing family tree branches and generations of each one; I've experienced a good mix of everything with my Sims. I've had some share a perfect mix of their parents, others who took most of the features from one parent. It's all just chance.

That's cool :smiley: mine so far are the first generation lol. So it'll probably be a while before there's more mixed in. And I mentioned they had twins that was a good mix of their visual features :smiley: So I'm excited what they look like in the future of course. Hehe. :smiley: I don't mind it being random, it's fun and cool to see whenever there's a mix of genetics in sims :smiley:
  • DinowCookieDinowCookie Posts: 951 Member
    edited December 2019
    After a long time of playing Sims generation upon generation, I found that each feature in a child sim is random from either their mom or dad. What you had with the daughter looking like dad and son looking like mom's eye- and hair color-wise, should be a coincidence.

In twins, I think they're either identical, or they get (mostly) opposing features from their parents. So in twins, they either look the exact same or the complete opposite. 😁

Because of this, non-identical twins often look more like their other siblings, than like their twin.

Here's an example from my current played sims:

Left to right: Monty (dad), Kaylin (firstborn), Emma & Caroline (twins), Hallie (mom).
    Notice how Emma and Caroline have opposing hair colors, eye color, skin tone and so on.
    Caroline looks more like her older sister Kaylin, than like her twin Emma.
    (open in new tab to have a closer view)

wHEzwEt.png

The more you know \o/
    Visit me on the gallery! 😊
    EA ID: DinowCookie | No-CC Households & Rooms
    After a long time of playing Sims generation upon generation, I found that each feature in a child sim is random from either their mom or dad. What you had with the daughter looking like dad and son looking like mom's eye- and hair color-wise, should be a coincidence.

In twins, I think they're either identical, or they get (mostly) opposing features from their parents. So in twins, they either look the exact same or the complete opposite. 😁

Because of this, non-identical twins often look more like their other siblings, than like their twin.

Here's an example from my current played sims:

Left to right: Monty (dad), Kaylin (firstborn), Emma & Caroline (twins), Hallie (mom).
    Notice how Emma and Caroline have opposing hair colors, eye color, skin tone and so on.
    Caroline looks more like her older sister Kaylin, than like her twin Emma.
    (open in new tab to have a closer view)

wHEzwEt.png

The more you know \o/

Thanks that's cool! :D Lol, my first born Olivia is a teen now, and she's got a bit rounder body than her dad. XD Her dad is very skinny with some ribs visible lol. Her mom I don't think has that skinny of a body. Sorry, I derailed taking about body shape. I can't remember right now what her face shape is like XD Nor can I remember what her siblings face shapes are. It took 2 single babies to get the twins XD.

For the twins, they are kids right now, so I can't tell their face shapes yet. But currently they take after their dad cause the roundest of child face he still has. And they are still kids, so I'll have to wait until they are teens to get a more true look at their "final forms". But they seem identical, aside from opposing features. I don't think they look like their siblings very much cause they are kids still. But I can say Ben (second born) has the body built of his dad, ribs poking and all lol. But I think he gained a less rounded face since he became a teen.

Lol, I don't know how you got your collection of sims side by side like that (other than viewing them in the creator to get them looking forward and screenshooting it.) I'm not sure if I can with this forums rules. But next time I play, I'll try to get my sim family like you got yours here. So people can understand what I was meaning lol.

Genetics are pretty neat :smiley: