Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stuff Pack vote - Theme and gameplay results!

Comments

• RetroidRetroid Posts: 17 Member
    > @pkstracy said:
    > I cannot believe knitting won...really? Hope they do release Happy Haunts later on.

Exactly my reaction, i laughed slightly too like what the?! Especially after reading everything cool the other packs would have added. How boring is your game that knitting is going to make it so much better for you. I'm starting to feel like it's a wrong move to give us any say in the packs. The majority of players seem a bit unimaginative. I can imagine in a future vote if theres a choice between:
    - go to the movies pack
    - cars pack
    - 80's pack
    - bingo pack
    I can imagine people being like OMG bingo yes!!! I bet watching paint dry pack is not too far behind lol :D
  • LittlebearLittlebear Posts: 73 Member
    edited December 2019
    I honestly feel that if knitting wasn't a thing happy haunts would have had it in the bag. Knitting should have been in previous packs like Laundry day even the Parent Pack just anything. If I do ever feel like voting which I will not now that this had won as I am not interested in how this pack turns out nor would I be persuaded to buy it when it comes out nor am I commenting to start anything just expressing my utter disappointment.

I honestly can't see the value in this type of repetitive gameplay it will get old very fast seems so mundane and shallow.
    Same could be said for the newly offered careers in Happy Haunts not everyone likes ghosts I get it. And careers can already be repetitive Heck rl jobs are that way too so...true to life I guess

I am trying to see this from a true neutrals perspective (and boy am I struggling lmao I really wanted Happy Haunts)

But hey if you wanna sit there and watch your sims knit for countless sim hours while watching paint dry er... laundry dry. cool no qualms here not here to start anything :)

But I know I'm not paying for a pack that offers knitting

(I know someone will point out you don't have to buy it yada yada and I won't )

I'll save my money for the next pack. Because despite the results I still very much enjoy the game.

But I gotta ask .

Can we maybe have the option to yell at other sims to get off their lawn too? And peek through the blinds all paranoid like If elders were actually made more interesting and could make them grumpy maybe new walk styles hahah you know maybe a shuffle walk like I get that not all elders knit but if you're going to do knitting why not make the theme at least entertaining?

Why not a rocking chair? I might be persuaded then but I'm saving my money and my vote for something way more entertaining and original.

I'm just going to sit back and see what happens with a nice cup of Hot cocoa It's cold here in Canada.

and hope that there's still time to have a Grim Reaper career someday. Anyways just wanted to sign in say my piece and never sign in again lmao. Because I always forget my password and are too lazy to reset it. But were curious what people had to say about the results and for once I actually felt confident enough to say something hence my random appearance . I hope you all have wonderful evenings Or mornings where ever you are. <3
    Post edited by Littlebear on
  • janwearsbracesjanwearsbraces Posts: 53 Member
    Seriously? Knitting? :s I have nothing against knitting--I've done it myself--but how will this make for interesting gameplay?
    Spiral staircases please!
  • ElaineenicoleeElaineenicolee Posts: 95 Member
    I am pretty bummed about this since arts & crafts was my actual last choice. But whatevs, at least the community got what it wanted.

I just hope that this doesn’t mean we’ll never get the items that weren’t voted for.... A normal size telescope should have been in the game already (University would have been a great time for this, instead of the 5th easel in the game. Ok definitely tired of arts & crafts in sims....) And a grim reaper career would be cool. 😔
  • LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    edited December 2019
    I voted for knitting 🧶 and I‘m happy that it won. I’m glad to get something that we DO NOT yet have in game. Hope they include a rocking chair to make the stereotypical thinkin by some complete.
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I hope that by knitting, they mean yarn crafts.
    Given the current popularity of macrame and crochet, they'd be fools not to include them.
    Maybe they could also include tatting and bobbin lace...
    And cats-cradle, aka the game, for kids+

Macrame to decorate you home

73975fam_XXX_v2.tif&wid=480&cvt=jpeg
    71DRX76rJUL._SY550_.jpg

Crochet for ornate rugs
    PerfectlyProvincialWeddingBlanketAfghanSquareFreeCrochetPatternChicSheepYarn_Full_small2.jpg

and wedding gowns
    M22166_WeddingDress_300_small2.jpg

Tatting to drive your sims loopy
    magic%2Bsquare%2Bcolors.JPG

While they make perfect collar and cuff sets
    coats259_ct250.jpg?1381623984

Bobbin lace, so they can make the heirlooms of tomorrow...
    maxresdefault.jpg

And cat's cradle, because how long is a piece of string?
    house-of-marbles-cats-cradle.jpg

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • _Sandra__Sandra_ Posts: 135 Member
    So instead of playing the Grim Reaper Freelance career I can watch my sims ... knitting stuff. Probably while waiting for the laundry to be done ._.

I'm sad.
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    No pool table. No pool slide and a broken baby. Put we get to knit now. Awesome.
  • Phelix52Phelix52 Posts: 9 New Member
    I'm glad I'm not the only one outraged by another boring/ granny pack winning this what is wrong with people how could they choose arts and craft over happy haunts that had way more fun and exciting things you could do than arts and crafts did then out of all the options knitting was number one? Really? The worst of the 5 was picked couldnt at least voted for glass fabrication or sculpting the more interesting of the choices no we got knitting 😒 I love the sims even when they make decisions for the game that arent great but this time I'm with the others is seriously consider not getting this crappy pack even though I like to have them all but idk if I want this pack to soil my game
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I'm honestly not sure if I like any of those ideas :#

knitting/Arts and craft maybe
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Pinmat135Pinmat135 Posts: 346 Member
    edited December 2019
    Looking at the voting results I have to wonder if only females play it!

Excuse me, I'm sure that many boys enjoy knitting, and even a lot of boys that don't would buy this pack for the sake of their Sims' interests and not their own! Also, a lot of boys probably voted for Arts & Crafts and not Knitting. Girls are not the only ones interested in knitting or arts & crafts.

@Mr_MuffinTop I agree, especially on that last point. Why didn't they include Story Progression in Sims 4? It was already in the Sims 3. It feels like Sims 4 is a step back in many areas sometimes.
    Phelix52 wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one outraged by another boring/ granny pack winning this what is wrong with people how could they choose arts and craft over happy haunts that had way more fun and exciting things you could do than arts and crafts did then out of all the options knitting was number one? Really? The worst of the 5 was picked couldnt at least voted for glass fabrication or sculpting the more interesting of the choices no we got knitting 😒 I love the sims even when they make decisions for the game that arent great but this time I'm with the others is seriously consider not getting this plum pack even though I like to have them all but idk if I want this pack to soil my game

Let's be clear, there are a lot of people who enjoy arts & crafts irl. Happy Haunts was my top choice too, but Arts & Crafts was second. Everyone has different interests, you shouldn't say "what is wrong with people."
    Pinmat135 wrote: »
    Looking at the voting results I have to wonder if only females play it!

Excuse me, I'm sure that many boys enjoy knitting, and even a lot of boys that don't would buy this pack for the sake of their Sims' interests and not their own! Also, a lot of boys probably voted for Arts & Crafts and not Knitting. Girls are not the only ones interested in knitting or arts & crafts.

@Mr_MuffinTop I agree, especially on that last point. Why didn't they include Story Progression in Sims 4? It was already in the Sims 3. It feels like Sims 4 is a step back in many areas sometimes.
    Phelix52 wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one outraged by another boring/ granny pack winning this what is wrong with people how could they choose arts and craft over happy haunts that had way more fun and exciting things you could do than arts and crafts did then out of all the options knitting was number one? Really? The worst of the 5 was picked couldnt at least voted for glass fabrication or sculpting the more interesting of the choices no we got knitting 😒 I love the sims even when they make decisions for the game that arent great but this time I'm with the others is seriously consider not getting this plum pack even though I like to have them all but idk if I want this pack to soil my game

Let's be clear, there are a lot of people who enjoy arts & crafts irl. Happy Haunts was my top choice too, but Arts & Crafts was second. Everyone has different interests, you shouldn't say "what is wrong with people."

He should actually ask himself that 🙄 Thank god not everybody has the same taste and is free of voting for whatever they like.

• pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    The reason I wanted it was so my sims could wear more things and craft decorations 🤷‍♀️
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
    > @janwearsbraces said:
    > Seriously? Knitting? :s I have nothing against knitting--I've done it myself--but how will this make for interesting gameplay?

Exactly my point, what is it actually adding to the game. The game doesn't have balloon making either, but what would that actually add to the game making a whole pack around a pack that should be cc at best.
    > @Queenarella said:
    > So instead of playing the Grim Reaper Freelance career I can watch my sims ... knitting stuff. Probably while waiting for the laundry to be done ._.

lmao well said. I can't believe i'm going to say this, but I trust EA's judgement more than the community's at this point. I think they should stop asking us to vote. They keep coming up with cool new content and one lemon, and the community chooses the lemon. Can't help but feel like some of the fans are kinda like michael bay fans, to use a movie analogy.
    After reading a few rants of people talking about actual knitting and how cool this is to be able to knit in the game. It seems like you don't get why people are annoyed and that no ones slamming actual knitting or your hobby, but watching a video game character doing it. You yourself aren't going to knit anything... Actually doing it yourself I'm sure is really rewarding, watching my granny do it however, while i sit there and pick my nose and watch her every move is not. Sure golf is an ok game to play, but who the hell wants to watch it on tv? With its incredibly slow pace, thats boring as hell. Whats next? Watch paint dry pack, after your sim manually paints paints your house. Some things just don't translate that well into a digital evironment as being interesting at all. Thats why theres no retirement village pack or accounting career. Usually some of the better ideas get made into cc and mods before they get an official EA pack, theres a reason why no ones bothered to make a knitting mod... just saying. Something to think about anyway, and for the next vote. Better to get more value and content for your money. Need to think more logically about these things. I think theres gonna be a lot of dissapointed players when they finally buy that pack.
    > @Mr_MuffinTop said:
    > No I dont need to ask myself anything other than why do I even bother voting and participating when people choose something boring like knitting over a grim reaper freelance career or ghost hunting career. You can knit in real life but you cant be the grim reaper and people can vote for what ever they want and I'm not saying they should vote for what they wont but I didn't realize how many boring granny's played the sims 4 🙄
    >
    > @Phelix52 You should vote b.c you got the spooky pack in 2nd place. Being in the top 3 shows EA what the community is interested in. Almost everyone who did not vote for spooky stuff admit to wanting the grim job. I really, really, really wanted that grim job, but I did not vote it as 1st place. I wanted something else, and while I also wanted arts and crafts glass making and embroidery, I did not vote arts and craft as my first either.
    >
    > EA knows people are interested in it, maybe they will drop it in a game pack.

I really wanted the ghost hunting career along with the VR tech game. Hopefully they'll release them later on. The knitting stuff is another toddlers pack for me, just pointless paying for content that adds nothing to gameplay.
  • Phelix52Phelix52 Posts: 9 New Member
    [quote="Retroid;c-17332782"]Better to get more value and content for your money. Need to think more logically about these things. I think theres gonna be a lot of dissapointed players when they finally buy that pack.[/quote]

Yes exactly thank you! You said it best because that's the point I was trying to make and how I was trying to vote not just what I thought was cool and fun but logically as well. 👍
  • MissyScabtreeMissyScabtree Posts: 81 Member
    Hmmm.

Knitting....wasn't something I'd like in a game/stuff pack. I hope there is a lot more to it than that. I personally voted for Happy Haunts and Self Care. I really wish the haunts won this time. A gal can wish right?
    "Silence is the most powerful scream."
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Maybe it's because I spent a few decades as a self employed crafts woman doing an art/craft show almost every week that I will never vote for a craft based pack. Maybe it's because I have laundry to do, cooking and all the other things you need to do to run a house that I'll never vote for a homemaking pack. give me the odd, the unreal, the mysterious and unusual for Sims. My Sims live soap opera lives, they get involved in murder mysteries,some are runaways or just homeless. I'll buy all the packs like Stangerville or Vampires that Maxis can churn out until they can make the game as interesting as TS3. Crafts, farms, homemaking or lawn care....nope. Sims are all about fantasy and make believe for me.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • L33tP33tNWL33tP33tNW Posts: 398 Member
    So instead of playing the Grim Reaper Freelance career I can watch my sims ... knitting stuff. Probably while waiting for the laundry to be done ._.

If only Happy Haunts had won...
    ID: L33tP33tNW
    she/her
    AKA Doggers123

pJYI4la.png
  • annalephantannalephant Posts: 98 Member
    edited December 2019
    talk about throwing your toys out of the pram when something doesnt go your way. :(

First off, i cant help but thinking that a LOT of people misunderstood the voting in this round. So many of you are talking about Happy Haunts as a theme like you were going to get ALL of the game play suggestions if happy haunts had been chosen. YOU WERE NEVER GOING TO GET EVERYTHING. One thing. one new aspect of game play, per theme.

Now clearly, Happy haunts has REALLY caught people's imagination, and EA arnt stupid, they are going to have seen the opportunity here to develop it as a potential game pack, where all or almost all of the suggested game play features and some really cool CAS and B/B objects could be drawn together to comprise a really fleshed out pack that would be really fun for supernatural players. But you have to understand that supernatural game play is not everyone's cup of tea. And i think that is why at the end of the day Arts & Crafts and Knitting won.

If i am limited to just one new game play feature that is going to expand my game play as much as possible i would, and did choose knitting and this is for many many reasons.

1) im going to put my hands up now and admit, I AM A KNITTER!!! all of you who are moaning about it being boring and something only old people do are so very very wrong. Knitting is a great fun craft that can make really fun or stylish MODERN clothing and accessories. It is not something that only grannies and yummy mummies do, there are so many young people out there in this world, both women and men, who are knitting and are knitting from a young age too. I started knitting in my early 20's and yes some of my friends thought it was a bit weird back then but now im in my 30's all my friends are knitting too or at the very least wishing they could knit. I like knitting socks, thats just my thing, but there are so many things beyond sweaters, scarves, hats and mittens that you can knit. So please, put your assumptions to one side and approach this with an open mind. If you care to, take a trip to www.ravelry.com and see what projects people have made, what latest patterns are trending and you might just be a little bit shocked just what the knitting community is up to, compared to what you have pictured in your head.

2) If i am limited to just the one new aspect of game play, i think knitting has the best potential to bring benefit to the most areas of game play. we are short on hobbies for our sims, particularly things for elder sims to do. and in creating garments with our knitting we are able to hit areas of the game that are short on CAS- babies?!?! toddlers & kids and even perhaps some specific elder outfits. But i think its important to have new clothing options for teens, young adults and adults too because...

3) KNITTING IS A GREAT APOCOLYPSE SKILL. For anyone who loves playing off the grid, rags to riches, end of the world type scenarios, being able to create clothes for your family to wear, to have another item that can be sold on a stall or worked as a freelance job or stocked in a retail lot, is really useful game play. This is not at all about sitting watching your sim knit... ofcourse that is boring in the same way watching time pass by whilst your sim jumps in to a rabbit hole to go work as the girm reaper.... you need to think out of the box a little and see just how much extra game play can come from having a new skill that creates sellable items. Look at how much game play you could get out of the moschino stuff pack. People dismissed it at first as a fashion stuff pack and were dissapointed by the lack of CAS items that actually came with it, as a fashion pack... but it was all about the new photography game play and the massive range of new play that came with it, both from the official freelancer career but also for sims just wanting to dip in to it as a hobby.

3) There are so many way's we could style this pack, but it really does give us an opportunity to flesh out CAS items for kids and elders. There have been some fantastic CAS items in recent packs for our young adults, teens and adults, really on trend and high qualify rendering etc. But the same cant be said for our kids and our elders. we have an opportunity here to flesh it out.

4) Build buy items.... again this could go one of several ways- are we thinking end of the world apocolypse theme, arty crafty bohemian look, aged hippies or granny chic? there are so many ways this theme could be developed and i honestly wouldnt mind any of them. I think going granny is maybe a bit obvious, but if that's what people want in their games then it is what they want! Are we going to get some build buy items that represent other crafts even if they dont work as functional items? (spinning wheels, knitting baskets etc)

6) Are we going to be limited to knitting alone or do we think we can lobby for the top 2 options and bring pottery in to this as well. Pottery, just like knitting is another fantastic end of the world skill that can be sold. This is one skill that doesnt come with the granny connotations and just think of all the B/B decoration items that could be unlocked through game play as you skill up. Just those 2 skills alone would be fantastic additions to the game in their own right. I'm having visions of having my own little artists commune, living off the grid, with an artist, a knitter and a potter, maybe even a wood carver or florist too, selling their wares to passing tourists.

7) There are lots of opportunities to tie this in with other future packs. If we do ever get our farming expansion pack it would be perfect. Sheer your sheep, spin your yarn, dye it (using harvestables like onions) and then either sell it as a commodity in it's own right (it could be sold at each stage in the process, but processing the wool fiber would add value, just like i dunno... butchering your meat would add value compared to selling a live animal!) But if you have the arts and crafts stuff pack you could then use the wool to knit your own items.

So can you see all the ways in which knitting, as a single game play item could effect your game play... depending on who you are and the way you want to take it. Yes you can have your granny in her rocking chair knitting a patchwork blanket, your pregnant mum-to-be-sim furiously producing as many baby hats and booties as she could, but you could also have your avante guard arty sim creating political knitting (google the pink 🐸🐸🐸🐸 hats against trump!) and conceptual art pieces or your survivalist sim living in their eco hut off the grid making practical every day items to keep themselves clothed and to make some money.

This gives far far more scope than one career as a grim reaper would bring to your game. Yes it's fun and I WANT IT IN MY GAME TOO! But for me, if i can only have just the one game play element right now, i pick knitting because it has so much potential to develop my game. Happy haunts is too good to waste on a stuff pack, where 1 game play element is used and then the rest get put away and dont get used because "we already have loads of supernatural packs". Let happy haunts go for now, because you know it is destined for bigger things. There is no way the sims team havn't noticed how excited people are about the ideas that were being put forwards in that category. It would be stupid for them to ignore what is quite clearly a VERY popular concept for a game pack. At the very very least you know that the grim reaper career can and will become part of a free base game update if they decide for some silly reason not to develop it in to a game pack. And we will ALL have fun with that when it happens. So please dont be sour and salty about the fact that your personal favourite wasnt everyone else's first choice.

But, dont write knitting off because its not something you enjoy personally in your life. Give it a chance, be creative with your ideas and think outside the box. Its got tons of potential to add some really fun elements to the game... although i think we might have to have a rocking chair for our grannies for nostalgia if nothing else!

Also, I think we also need to add death to the game- having personally impailed myself on a knitting needle and scissors in my time, i think death by knitting needle needs to be a new thing. xxx
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    @annalephant
    To be honest I wholeheartedly agree with everything You said here. :D
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    Although I did vote for knitting, I‘m not so sure what all can be knitted. Knowing EA by now, it might just be mittens, knit cap and scarfs (if ever). Hopefully more than that. Lets wait and see.

• tayllahtayllah Posts: 8 New Member
    it literally took me like 20 minutes to decide whether happy haunts or arts and crafts were gonna be my #1, in the end it was the latter.

i think it was mostly because i could implement those sorts of skills/hobbies into my gameplay more than the occult jobs. plus i'm more of a family player than an occult player - so i'd rarely use the pack otherwise. i am, however, really apprehensive on the "main gameplay" aspect. i wasn't under the impression that knitting would be the main focus, and i'm hoping that's the case.

also, i very much doubt that happy haunts will make a comeback later - i'm still waiting on wedding day/arcade/dangerous stuff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top