Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help Choosing a Christmas Present?

My best friend's seventeen year old daughter plays Sims 3 on a laptop, and the only expansion she has is Pets. I'm thinking about buying her another expansion or a stuff pack for Christmas, one that won't slow the game down too much.

She plays like a virtual dollhouse. She's got as many pets and Sims in a house as she can, she builds them shapeless boxes to live in, but spends a ton of time giving them custom hair colors. She tends to let them run free and watch, as opposed to micro-managing.

I think World Adventures adds a lot of gameplay, but since she's on a laptop, I don't want to give her anything that'll push performance into "unplayable" territory, so I'm thinking about a stuff pack instead. Is there a stuff pack that adds a little gameplay? Do any of you play on laptops?
4TJdLHA.png
Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports

Comments

• PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    Sims 3 stuff packs don't add any gameplay. If you'd like to buy her some stuff that adds a little bit of gameplay, maybe you could buy her enough simpoints to buy a premium set or venue from the Store? The premium sets and venues are similar to like Sims 4 stuff packs in that they are mostly build/buy and CAS objects, but they also include one or two objects that add gameplay.

I love World Adventures myself, but I think it would be exactly opposite to what you described as her playstyle!
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    I think Generations is a must have because it adds more gameplay what with imaginary friends, school clubs and activities, graduation, more parties, etc. Ambitions is second to me if more jobs and ability to do laundry is a must.
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited November 2019
    I play on a laptop and have all expansions, stuff packs, store items and a boat load of CC installed.
    It honestly depends on the type of laptop she's playing on, mine is a Windows 10 acer gaming laptop.(expensive)
    so it was meant for gaming.

What kind of laptop does she have? That will determine what game to get.
    My laptop runs Wa just fine, but if you feel that her laptop can't handle it,

maybe go with Generations like @rubyskywalker mentioned, it adds like school clubs, field trips, sleep overs, kids can get grounded etc.

• SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    My best friend's seventeen year old daughter plays Sims 3 on a laptop, and the only expansion she has is Pets. I'm thinking about buying her another expansion or a stuff pack for Christmas, one that won't slow the game down too much.

She plays like a virtual dollhouse. She's got as many pets and Sims in a house as she can, she builds them shapeless boxes to live in, but spends a ton of time giving them custom hair colors. She tends to let them run free and watch, as opposed to micro-managing.

I think World Adventures adds a lot of gameplay, but since she's on a laptop, I don't want to give her anything that'll push performance into "unplayable" territory, so I'm thinking about a stuff pack instead. Is there a stuff pack that adds a little gameplay? Do any of you play on laptops?

Just knowing that she plays on "a laptop" doesn't say much since it all depends on what kind of laptop it is, an entry level/low end standard one, intended only for lightweight tasks, or a top class gaming laptop with super efficient cooling, dedicated graphics card, plenty of RAM and high level processor.

I have a few Asus ROG gaming laptops of different age, size and configurations with everything Sims 3 related installed on them, i e all EP:s, SP:s and everything from the Store, and they all run the game fine most of the time. I also have 2 basic non gaming laptops, and they seem to have enough to do with just running the base game.

I agree with the 2 previous posters, both Generations and Ambitions add lots of fun game play and useful objects, but Amb. also provides a new town, Twinbrook, with lots of beautiful scenery and interesting people.

Giving her some SimPoints to buy Premium Content from the Store, like PalmArrow suggested, is a very good idea too. :)
  • KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    edited November 2019
    All Sims 3 games are on sale on Steam until Dec. 3. $5 a piece.
    Generations is a good one and maybe Supernatural with fairies and witches? I guess young girls like that sort of thing?
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Supernatural offers a great deal to the game, and Ambitions is also terrific.
    Unlike the others, I don't care much for generations, and don't think it offered all that much to the game as opposed to the other two.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    University Life adds bowling which is a must for me. I don't like sending my sims to uni but always add a bowling alley to my towns.
    WA also comes with fun activities like MA and nectar making. My sims rarely travel but many of my athletic sims do MA and nectar making has some cute animations and the nectar can give some nice moodlets.
    Generations does add more for kids to do but, overall, is overrated IMO.
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    @Pary - To tell you the truth it doesn't matter which one of the EP:s you or the others suggest, I will agree with it anyway because I love all of them very much, <3 and the SP:s and the Store content too, I can't help it, ha ha, I admit I'm a bit obsessed, don't judge me... :blush::smiley:
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited November 2019
    SuzyCue72 wrote: »
    @Pary - To tell you the truth it doesn't matter which one of the EP:s you or the others suggest, I will agree with it anyway because I love all of them very much, <3 and the SP:s and the Store content too, I can't help it, ha ha, I admit I'm a bit obsessed, don't judge me... :blush::smiley:

I like them all to.The OP was asking for games that could run better on a laptop and not knowing what kind of laptop, I suggested generations because its probably a lighter load than Supernatural.

Generations wouldn't be my first pick for an expansion; but for a weak computer, its probably better than my favorite expansion, which is Island Paradise.
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited December 2019
    I don't know what kind of laptop it is, but it's just used for basic school stuff and occasional simming. It's not a gaming laptop, and it's not new. It's safer to assume that it's weak.

I used to run Sims 3 and most of its expansions, so I love them all and I know how slow it can get when you have everything. I'm not as familiar with the stuff packs. If they're all just clothes and furniture, I guess I could just pick one, but I wasn't sure if one came with something like a hot tub or some other object that has its own gameplay.

I'm familiar with the store too, and I'd rather just give her a gift. I'd hate to buy her SimPoints and have them just sit there because she doesn't take the time to pick through the tons of content on the Store. She's had the game for a long time and never bothered to get any other expansions. However, Sims is an interest we both share, so I thought adding a little something wouldn't be overboard.

She likes animals (note that she only owns pets) and is very much an outdoors, tomboy type.

It looks like the expansions and stuff packs are all the same price on Origin, but $5 on Steam sounds really good. She doesn't have to have Steam, does she? *goes to look*
    4TJdLHA.png
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
  • rileyandjacobrileyandjacob Posts: 42 Member
    I recommend Supernatural or Ambitions for gameplay. :smile:
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2019
    Thing is this player already has Pets, the EP with the highest potential performance impact out of all of them, and it sounds like the game is running fine for her. I wouldn't risk adding Seasons to that unless we can learn more about this laptop's specs, as that's the one that comes in second place, but it sounds to me like adding one (or two) of the lighter weight ones -- WA, Ambitions, Generations, maybe Late Night, would be far less likely to overload things. The remaining ones fall somewhere in between.

For outdoorsy stuff, besides Seasons I would think of WA and maybe not necessarily the linear tomb exploration quests which are not requirements anyway but having her sims stay in the base camps and hike around, check out the marketplaces, and camp out in the various foreign worlds might be a lot of fun for her. She may also enjoy nectar making, proper photography with the upper end cameras, and martial arts, all of which come with WA. IP is also very outdoorsy both on and off the water, with the understanding that the included Isla Paradiso world needs some fixing up first before it is really playable although its content can be used in other worlds, and that one does land more on the heavier impact side short of Pets and Seasons.

The only gameplay item, sort of, I can think of that a Stuff Pack adds is the Vehicle Enthusiast trait that came with Fast Lane. But it's not exactly much of a game changer, many players regard it as a nuisance even if they do like the fancy cars, and I believe the trait was eventually patched in for everyone else anyway.

On the Steam question, the player needs to have the Steam client program and the Steam version of the base game (so another $5 or whatever you are seeing it on sale for) in order to obtain but not install the Steam version EPs. They throw in Origin codes for each at no extra charge, again revealed in the Steam client even if none of this is actually installed through Steam, so that EPs obtained that way can be added to an Origin based game by way of code redemption instead of used on a Steam install if the player wants to stay on Origin.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    If she like dressing sims up then Diesel stuff adds clothes and some furniture.
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Thank you all for your input!

I gave it a lot of thought and decided to go with Ambitions. I'll point out the joys of becoming a Stylist, and she can go around giving the entire town makeovers, for better or worse.

:)
    4TJdLHA.png