Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How long does University take in Real Life?

SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
I'm having lots of fun with this pack. Still pondering a bit regarding how my play routine shall be, especially how many years my students shall spend taking their degree. I know it can be done in different numbers of terms, but how long should a
term take?

I was thinking 1 term per half year, like 1 Spring term, and one Fall term. With 4 terms, that seems to be my normal, it will take a student 2 years to get a degree. Is this how long it would take in real life? Somehow I think it's a bit quick.

Alternatively they could have just 1 term per year, taking 4 calendar years to get a degree... which might be long, but would actually have a bigger affect on their family back home - their room will actually be unoccupied for a while, and I might hav more time to "miss them". I play on rotation often with just one simday per house per year, and when playing a student I don't really think I must play their family back home at a minimum.

What's your thoughts? How do your terms relate to real life years?
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
Post edited by Simmerville on

Comments

• Options
    LDraconisLDraconis Posts: 35 Member
    In real life, most undergraduate degrees (Bachelor's degrees) are 4 year programs with two semesters per year. It can take longer if you are taking a light course load or as little as 3 years if you are taking summer courses as well (although summer semesters normally have reduced offerings so you may not get everything you want). Master's degrees (which do not seem represented in game) take another 1 to 2 years depending on degree and doctorates take an additional 5 to 7 years beyond that.

In game everything is offered every semester and you can have your degree in as little as 3 semesters, so in 3 weeks....
  • Options
    LDraconis wrote: »
    In real life, most undergraduate degrees (Bachelor's degrees) are 4 year programs with two semesters per year. It can take longer if you are taking a light course load or as little as 3 years if you are taking summer courses as well (although summer semesters normally have reduced offerings so you may not get everything you want). Master's degrees (which do not seem represented in game) take another 1 to 2 years depending on degree and doctorates take an additional 5 to 7 years beyond that.

In game everything is offered every semester and you can have your degree in as little as 3 semesters, so in 3 weeks....

Thanks! Then I'll definitely go for my alternative 4 years plan as a standard. And then there will probably be some students needing 1 term/year extra. This means I'll play just 1 term/7 days per calendar year (56 simdays), which suits my rotational play even better.
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    If you're going for a semi-realistic timespan then 4 years is quite appropriate. Where I live most bachelor's degrees take 3 years and it's often followed by a 1 year master's degree.
    What I've done in my game so far is have my sims take 2 courses per term and none during the Summer, so it takes them 2 years to complete a degree. But at least they'll have one Summer holiday in between, which adds some realism.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited November 2019
    I'm having lots of fun with this pack. Still pondering a bit regarding how my play routine shall be, especially how many years my students shall spend taking their degree. I know it can be done in different numbers of terms, but how long should a
    term take?

I was thinking 1 term per half year, like 1 Spring term, and one Fall term. With 4 terms, that seems to be my normal, it will take a student 2 years to get a degree. Is this how long it would take in real life? Somehow I think it's a bit quick.

Alternatively they could have just 1 term per year, taking 4 calendar years to get a degree... which might be long, but would actually have a bigger affect on their family back home - their room will actually be unoccupied for a while, and I might hav more time to "miss them". I play on rotation often with just one simday per house per year, and when playing a student I don't really think I must play their family back home at a minimum.

What's your thoughts? How do your terms relate to real life years?

Generally, most degrees take three years - four depending on the degree as well. Master degree takes 5 -6 years or instead, generally, 2 more years after you took the bachelor degree. 2 semesters per year.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    It also depends where one studies. The "Oxbridge" system in England is an undergraduate degree in three years. I am letting my Sim go with a very, very light courseload - one core class and one elective per term. At 2 terms a year, for 12 credits over 6 terms, that's a three year degree. So taking it easy, you can still make good time. Then again, no one ages until I permit it, so he HAS time.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2019
    Depends on what degrees you go for. my brother has several Master degrees in real life and has 12 plus years in Universities. I went 4 years - and then several times through life went back to Universities for other degrees - a year or two here and there. Usually they were degrees connected to the work I was doing at the time and required by places I worked. Sometimes you need to go back just to update your credentials - other times new ways of doing things require you to update things in your job/ career. - especially in field of science, medicine, technology - lots of things change so much some times you have no choice.

I'm not playing my game like that though - but I am making my Sims earn all the Distinguished degrees at both Uni's - just for the heck of it. LOL. She has her own house there - and as soon as she graduates from each one - I sign her up for they next one. I only let her take 3 parts at a time so she enjoys some of Uni life besides just studying.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I'm in the UK. My BA took 3 years, my MA 1 year.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    LDraconisLDraconis Posts: 35 Member
    I'm in the UK. My BA took 3 years, my MA 1 year.

Is summer a full semester in the UK, equal in offerings to fall and spring semesters??
  • Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Depends on what degrees you go for. my brother has several Master degrees in real life and has 12 plus years in Universities. I went 4 years - and then several times through life went back to Universities for other degrees - a year or two here and there. Usually they were degrees connected to the work I was doing at the time and required by places I worked. Sometimes you need to go back just to update your credentials - other times new ways of doing things require you to update things in your job/ career. - especially in field of science, medicine, technology - lots of things change so much some times you have no choice.

I'm not playing my game like that though - but I am making my Sims earn all the Distinguished degrees at both Uni's - just for the heck of it. LOL. She has her own house there - and as soon as she graduates from each one - I sign her up for they next one. I only let her take 3 parts at a time so she enjoys some of Uni life besides just studying.

Oh my! That sim will surely become the most educated sim in the whole SimNation!!! Would be worth a story! :smile:
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    Most students do either 2 years or 4 years. 2 years are for more simple things such as massage, cosmetology, and culinary. 4 years are your more complex majors.
    I spent 4 years pursuing my bachelor degree. I even changed majors a few times, but I made it. My college was pushing the master’s program (cha-ching!) but I decided against it.