Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Discover University worth buying?

Seeing as we are some time into release now I am wondering if University is worth buying? The only EP I don't have yet are this one and Island living but I didn't buy that one because people say it's not that good..

Comments

• Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited November 2019
    I believe IL is on sale right now for 19.99. It doesn't have expansive gameplay that much like other packs. Highlight of the pack would be mermaids, odd jobs and a new career (which has interesting gameplay in a higher branch), sunbathing, more open areas for swimming, some local events, sandcastles, boats and using the new aqua zips and the Kava bowl. Locals will bring you extra food and can come if your lot has a fire to help. If any of that interests you it is on sale.

I've enjoyed Uni and don't regret buying it at it's release price. About what I would expect from any Uni pack and as per usual the majority of the pack pertains to that world that it comes packaged with. With your sims, you'll definitely be managing them and their time with classes, term papers and presentations. Organizations you don't really have to show up to or get penalized when you join thankfully, but I found it pretty difficult to find some time inbetween to join in. Joining the e-sports my sim was always tired inbetween and living off a lot of quick meals and/or pizza. :#

There are no active classes, but there are events on campus you can participate in as well as organization events.

Three new careers. Education, Engineering, and Law.

Two new skills: Research & Debate and a Robotics skill which wraps into making Servos.

The most interesting feature for me has been the roommate system. Since you can use it outside of Uni and your sim can just have roommates that pay rent to your sim. Put up an ad and potential roommates will come by or just ask a sim that you already know to be your roommate. Also your sim can go to school from home if you don't want them to live on campus so it's not just locked out to the world.

CAS has been real amazing. I really love the clothes for this pack.

I'd say it's worth it if you wanted to add another step for immersion for your sims to be going to school. Without it you have the roommate system, the careers, CAS and build/buy (which includes bathroom stall now, the keg, and juice pong table), and the two new skills.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    AshurayAshuray Posts: 22 Member
    Do you get to join your sim to work in any of these new carreers?
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Ashuray wrote: »

No.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

You can't join, but there are activities to work from home.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I really like the Conservationist career that came with Island Living as well as the build mode objects. I don’t care too much for the world but I don’t regret the purchase.

I am enjoying University so I would recommend it.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    My main disappointments with DU are no extra personality trait slot rewards and the value of working through University vs just going straight to work. If you keep aging on, it's not really worth it economically to me. Turning aging off, yeah it's very beneficial. I am playing more for the Uni experience though and I will keep aging off. So I can work around that part. And I have a plan for the way I will give out traits and reward traits that will give my sims more of a sense of personality/ability development from gong to University.

I have not played with Servos yet, but I did download one and I really dislike how they can just fall apart so easily.
    I was also hoping we could make human looking ones as the ultimate robot build, since we aliens and vampires with alternative appearances.
    You can make it look human with costumes, but I doubt that was intentional and it's limited and odd looking.

Despite that, I really like it.
    I like how our sims can live anywhere and still attend university.
    I think my fun is coming more from creative play. I played the pre-made dorms and did not like the experience much compared to my custom dorms. I am making over the dormie roommates and I enjoy having my sims socialize with them, discover their traits, and aspiration discoveries by making them over. I found one aspired to be a spell caster. My sim has the ability to create spell casters, so I helped her with her aspiration.

And I am not even playing my main sims yet.
    These were just test sims so I could try out game play and have them test my dorms.
    It should be much more fun with my true sims. I have a large group of them, and I thought they would find mates among each other, but looking at these made-over dormies, I think they will be finds mates outside the group.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    I will have Discover University in my hands sometime during the upcoming week, but from what I've seen it's a solid EP compared to Island Living, which doesn't have much gameplay "storywise", it's mostly landscape and taking your time with seeing the island and living next to the ocean.

One major disappointment with Discover University is that it didn't arrive with new traits and aspirations, thought there is a Mod out there that remedies this fact, if you like adding such stuff to your game. One thing I adore with Discover University is that our Sims can attend college while living off-campus. So many story ideas can come out of it. Overall, I would recommend Discover University over Island Living for sure.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    I will have Discover University in my hands sometime during the upcoming week, but from what I've seen it's a solid EP compared to Island Living, which doesn't have much gameplay "storywise", it's mostly landscape and taking your time with seeing the island and living next to the ocean.

One major disappointment with Discover University is that it didn't arrive with new traits and aspirations, thought there is a Mod out there that remedies this fact, if you like adding such stuff to your game. One thing I adore with Discover University is that our Sims can attend college while living off-campus. So many story ideas can come out of it. Overall, I would recommend Discover University over Island Living for sure.

Even if DU did not introduce new traits, it actually do a good job on the traits side, that many simmers seem to have ignored! We finally get good use of some of the odd traits that can be purchased in the reward system. My "not needing so much sleep" sim was able to use the nights to study, when everyone else in their residential dorm were asleep, she had full access to their computer etc. It was very useful not needing to focus as much on her homework and term papers etc during the day. There are also traits like "night owl", "quick reader" and more that should be very helpful to students. So - the traits system definitely gets an impact from this EP :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    You can get a lot more traits by moving around on your aspirations. For example if you go to the gym put aspiration to athlete, or if you go to geek con put it on computer geek, or if dating put on serial romantic or soulmate. You get the idea. The hard part is remembering to keep changing it to whatever your doing. My sim racks up sooo many points doing this.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited December 2019
    Seeing as we are some time into release now I am wondering if University is worth buying? The only EP I don't have yet are this one and Island living but I didn't buy that one because people say it's not that good..

Island Living is one of my favorite packs. It adds boats and swimming in the ocean and you can also use the boats in Britechester which is the DU world. It also adds a lot of build and buy items related to an island theme and of course you can make your own mermaids or befriend npc mermaids like Nulani.

I recommend DU cause it has 3 swimmable lakes which if you have mermaids they have another place to swim,lets you use boats,comes with bicycles which are exclusive to this pack but can be used in any world,dorms and roomates,fun objects like pong tables,kegs etc,shower woohoo which is exclusive to this pack and of course your sims can get an education at college. Lazy Gamer recommends this game.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Behappy1st wrote: »
    You can get a lot more traits by moving around on your aspirations. For example if you go to the gym put aspiration to athlete, or if you go to geek con put it on computer geek, or if dating put on serial romantic or soulmate. You get the idea. The hard part is remembering to keep changing it to whatever your doing. My sim racks up sooo many points doing this.

@Behappy1st I do that too. Great minds think alike.
  • Options
    KHS12KHS12 Posts: 3,023 Member
    edited December 2019
    I think its pretty similar to the Sims 2 Uni pack with a mix of Sims 3. Britechester looks so much like the TS3 town and a lot of the activities required to succeed are similar to TS2. There are a lot of small details sprinkled throughout and I personally feel that its worth buying. Its definitely one of the better packs they've released, although that isn't saying much lol.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Recommend looking at the University is annoying thread over in feedback before deciding one way or another. Pack is the usual mix of interesting features and greatly frustrating bugs/glitches. Another thought is how much of the pack content is relevant in the other worlds?
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    edited December 2019
    If anyone makes up their mind to actually buy DU, it's on sale at Target for $19.99, physical copy version only.
    (not the digital code/email version.)
    O0gNC7A.png
    and...
    Amazon
    :D
    QX1f5bY.png
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    LatteCrab wrote: »
    If anyone makes up their mind to actually buy DU, it's on sale at Target for $19.99, physical copy version only.
    (not the digital code/email version.)
    O0gNC7A.png
    and...
    Amazon
    :D
    QX1f5bY.png

Thank you!!!!! I wanted to buy this but wasn't willing to spend $40. I just ordered it, and I even got a it cheaper with my Target RedCard. I've been waiting for a sale forever. :):)
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Discover University is definitely worth buying in my opinion. I've barely done anything with it, but just bicycling, ping-pong, and online classes have been wonderful!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    TheFlyingGentlemanTheFlyingGentleman Posts: 116 Member
    [quote="Rouenpucelle;c-17338001"]Discover University is definitely worth buying in my opinion. I've barely done anything with it, but just bicycling, ping-pong, and online classes have been wonderful![/quote]

online classes?