Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

suspicious...

KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
Like, they know everyone was goign to want arts & crafts, as well as knitting. Then, I feel they did that because we already have knitting animations included on Discover University, and that they wouldn't have to do anything new for this. I haven't realized that, but Molly posted this video and you can clearly see the knitting needles and textures, as well as animation. Its such a lazy job to manipulate the community to be able to reuse stuff already in game, I would rather have them export and convert assets from SIms 2/3 (which would be a new 3D model in Sims 4) than reuseing stuff. Stop adding recolors of old objects, and now... ANIMATIONS TOO? omg... If you did a knitting animation in DU, add the knitting skill in DU. Otherwise, use the budget you spent on this to add something University related and leave knitting for the SP or a EP. gosh... SOmetimes EAxis is so disrespectful to us.

UPDATE: There's a lot of knitted stuff in the Tiny Living SP, from clothes to objects. Isn't this another clue that they manipulated this pack outcome?
Post edited by Karon on

Comments

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    What concerns me is whether the 'win' was by majority (51% of vote or greater) or mere plurality (21% of vote or greater). If the second then we are getting a pack that most simmers don't want.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    I haven't even seen the action in DU yet, but I have wanted arts and crafts activities for ages.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    What concerns me is whether the 'win' was by majority (51% of vote or greater) or mere plurality (21% of vote or greater). If the second then we are getting a pack that most simmers don't want.

It was a ranking. So everyone who put it in any place other than last would've added to its final position.
    It might not be the majority of Simmers' first choice, but it's highly unlikely that it was the majority's bottom choice (which I would see as "don't want").
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I wanted happy haunts but i honestly believe they won this one fair and square.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited November 2019

Right....I'm still waiting for the Wedding Stuff Pack and an actual Eco Friendly Stuff Pack with solar panels.

It's a little suspicious how knitting won, since they already have the animations made in DU. They definitely already have the needle mesh.... we'll see how this pack actually turns out but it's looking a little bit like another rip off.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    Considering people have wanted knitting in the game since at LEAST Sims 2, not surprised at all that it won. I'm a supernatural player and a realistic player (but not THAT realistic) and even I voted for it. Of course, they also wouldn't let me vote for both Arts and Crafts and Happy Haunts as my number one choice - they were tied, not 1 and 2. Which I'm sure they were for many others. Maybe you're looking in the wrong direction for your conspiracy.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Eh, I do think knitting definitely won and no, it wasn't my first (or second choice). They've just announced that it was the top winner.

As they pull the pack together, I do think they should try to add more to it if they are able to pull from previously developed animations.

I agree that recycling too much is a fair criticism and complaint. That said, people want more hobbies and there was genuine interest both in arts and crafts as well as in knitting, specifically. I really strongly doubt that the vote was engineered.

It's a stuff pack, its role is to add a bit of gameplay but mostly Cas/BB items generally centered around a theme.

Last time around as has been mentioned, one of the gurus pushed for laundry though it was also clear that there was a very loud lobby of players wanting it. It was weird how the eco-living pack was co-opted but it looks like they learned from that experience by combining the theme and gameplay object votes into one.

There are a lot of people who want more to do in the game. Knitting was just the winner of the people with that sentiment likely for several reasons (stuff for elders, players who knit, family players, realism players, survivalists, historical players, etc). I have said on several threads that I think it would be a good idea to add a few of the other gameplay objects from a&c.

While TS4 has been incorporating elements from the previous versions, I really think it should move toward some new content as well.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited November 2019
    I think you've missed how many times knitting has come up in conversations about possible hobbies being added to the game, not just recently. It's been on my wishlist way before DU was announced or leaked and I'm certain I'm not the only one.

If the Grim freelancer career had been the winner would that also count as manipulated vote since we already have the reaping animations in game?

@darrenfroggy @simgirl1010 I'm actually not worried that we aren't getting something, but its kinda suspicious that they added the animation in the latest pack and days later put the most asked arts & crafts/hobbies feature in a poll as if it wasn't going to win. Yes, we are going to pay for new objects, cas and maybe knitted stuff from the knitting skill, but it is still frustrating to learn that they did that... I'm mostly mad cuz it took way a scope from the DU budget to develop those animations which could have been used to add more useful things for the Uni experience. I know it has been asked before, but why they included the animation in the pack if they weren't going to give it a useful purpose inside the pack. Decorating a random statue in Britechester isn't useful to me.

@WildIrishBanshee I also wanted both... actually, all of them... even the fitness one, but no doubt the arts & crafts was going to win, I was even surprised to see that Happy Haunts almost overthroned it (if the manipulated this, it would've been funny to see their faces in the backstages afraid that they would've to work on something else).

@Sigzy05 I really wanted the Eco-Friendly and the Wedding one too... The arcade one would've been perfect in DU, but I guess they lost the opportunity as they were busy animating knitting for a random statue in the university campus.

@ChampandGirlie Yes, I agree. Like, recycling can be good in a way, like... In Realm of Magic we have a counter thats basically a base game counter that was recoloured. IF they added this as a new color swatch to the existing counter, as well as a new counter... It wouldn't be a problem. But... they did it in the bad way.
    I don't want to me mean to the gurus/devs, i know its hard to code and animate, and I'm sorry if I sounded like that. Its just that some practices can be offensive to us. If there was a plan for a knitting pack, why did you use the budget of a pack that's not even hobbies related to half-bake the knitting theme? Look at the plumbots... It could've used some personalization that we had in Into The Future, and its not even actually a University related activity. You could've added another career, or a new animation for kids riding bikes... I hope my criticism helps the bright future of this franchise I have grown up with. I want to play Sims as long as its good.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @Karon The gurus themselves did mention that the vote isn't as much "this is the only theme we're doing" and more "this is what we're doing now. So I think there's a pretty high chance all the themes are something they want to add eventually and this vote was a way to gauge which one to start with.
    The repo man animation is likely one that would be reused in the ghost hunter career so that's another one that they added in Uni before the vote. I understand seeing the possible connection but I think it's far from being a conspiracy or manipulation of the vote.
  • Mr_MuffinTopMr_MuffinTop Posts: 131 Member
    > @Karon said:
    > Like, they know everyone was goign to want arts & crafts, as well as knitting. Then, I feel they did that because we already have knitting animations included on Discover University, and that they wouldn't have to do anything new for this. I haven't realized that, but Molly posted this video and you can clearly see the knitting needles and textures, as well as animation. Its such a lazy job to manipulate the community to be able to reuse stuff already in game, I would rather have them export and convert assets from SIms 2/3 (which would be a new 3D model in Sims 4) than reuseing stuff. Stop adding recolors of old objects, and now... ANIMATIONS TOO? omg... If you did a knitting animation in DU, add the knitting skill in DU. Otherwise, use the budget you spent on this to add something University related and leave knitting for the SP or a EP. gosh... SOmetimes EAxis is so disrespectful to us.
    > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J42_WZV2Gg&feature=emb_rel_pause

The only influencing that went on was most of the youtubers telling people to vote for arts and spooky. Like a bunch of politics influencing people to vote they pushed the idea to the masses old and new, to pick spooky or arts. But I can't really blame them, most arguments made were based on longevity of the pack.

In all honesty, spooky stuff feels like it should just be in a game pack release. Drop some warewolves or fairies or whatever, and introduce those 3 new jobs.

I don't think EA did that, they most likely planned to add it in a soon to come pack and knew players would most likely vote for it. Sure they most likely expected youtubers who saw the knitting in DU to push the idea, but that is just business.

The only thing I feel insulted about, is how EA will deliberately cut out features from $40 and $20 packs making them feel like an incomplete game (looking at you island living), just so they can make a stuff pack. As if stuff pack ideas are scarce and hard to come by. (cough) love pack that introduces crushes and unrequited love (cough) travel pack that introduces planned vacations to any map (cough) there are so many players dropping ideas, and mods catering to those wants, I feel they should pick a rated T idea and stop doing everything in such a minimalist way.
  • UnknownGamerUnknownGamer Posts: 77 Member
    I feel like knitting could have been part of a bigger hobbies game pack. But that’s just wishful thinking
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    @Karon I'm definitely not going to defend excessive recycling. I've noticed it and I do think that in too high a frequency relative to new animation content, it's a problem. It's not so much a problem to recycle if the result is something fun that people want but I agree that in a game that is likely generating a lot of revenue, spending a bit more on bringing new animations in would go a long way in terms of energizing players.

If TS5 is some sort of branding reboot into which you can bring your sims through the gallery or if there is some sort of TS4 branding reboot, it's true that adding more new animations centered around different themes (realism, supernatural, family, YA play, etc) would go a long way to keep interest.

This is part of why I've said that romance needs an overhaul. It's great when new stuff is added even when that draws from recycling but could we get some new animations as well please? That's also true for other themes.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    @Karon The gurus themselves did mention that the vote isn't as much "this is the only theme we're doing" and more "this is what we're doing now.
    Wish this was the case with the wedding and arcade or even dangerous theme from the last community vote so much more interesting than any of these current options.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Why is that video 15mn long and shows nothing ? I fast forwarded to see the animations in-game but the only thing shown is the game paused on a still image. That was a waste of the 30sc it took me to skip through it.

Anyway if some animations are already in the game and reusable, that might free up some resources to add another feature, like they said they would. That's could potentially be a good thing, I need sculpting back.

The one thing that sold me on knitting though was "knitted stuffed animals" (even though I voted otherwise because I knew Arts&Craft would win). I want normal-sized interactable customizable teddy bears more than I want the activity itself.
    That's the low low bar I set for this pack.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    @Karon The gurus themselves did mention that the vote isn't as much "this is the only theme we're doing" and more "this is what we're doing now.
    Wish this was the case with the wedding and arcade or even dangerous theme from the last community vote so much more interesting than any of these current options.

maybe they're going to add those things into a game thats why they didnt add it back into the poll? cause just cause it hasn't come out now doesn't mean it wont ever be.

like the wedding concept art would be great in a country living/farm expansion, like some assets have been used so far just not in stuff packs.
    edited December 2019
    @Karon I'm definitely not going to defend excessive recycling. I've noticed it and I do think that in too high a frequency relative to new animation content, it's a problem. It's not so much a problem to recycle if the result is something fun that people want but I agree that in a game that is likely generating a lot of revenue, spending a bit more on bringing new animations in would go a long way in terms of energizing players.

If TS5 is some sort of branding reboot into which you can bring your sims through the gallery or if there is some sort of TS4 branding reboot, it's true that adding more new animations centered around different themes (realism, supernatural, family, YA play, etc) would go a long way to keep interest.

This is part of why I've said that romance needs an overhaul. It's great when new stuff is added even when that draws from recycling but could we get some new animations as well please? That's also true for other themes.

@ChampandGirlie If they spent DU budget developing a knitting animation, than I wouldn't be mad if they added a new spinning spindle, a cotton plant a lot of exclusive stuff that we could make with this new activity. But I doubt... Our sims are probably going to take wool out of nowhere and use it to knit clothes we already have in-game which will dissapear before we see the results without any customizations.
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

Me too @ChadSims2 ... Like, they could've added the wedding ideais in Island Living. The arcade one in DU... But they didn't.
    happyopi wrote: »
    Why is that video 15mn long and shows nothing ? I fast forwarded to see the animations in-game but the only thing shown is the game paused on a still image. That was a waste of the 30sc it took me to skip through it.

Anyway if some animations are already in the game and reusable, that might free up some resources to add another feature, like they said they would. That's could potentially be a good thing, I need sculpting back.

The one thing that sold me on knitting though was "knitted stuffed animals" (even though I voted otherwise because I knew Arts&Craft would win). I want normal-sized interactable customizable teddy bears more than I want the activity itself.
    That's the low low bar I set for this pack.

@happyopi It just makes me mad they use their DU budget to develop a new animation just to profit from it AGAIN later. Also, I doubt they are going to make small stuffed animals. We are probably going to be stuck with a knitting skill to knit thigns we already have in-game without a single customization. Its a SP from Sims 4, afterall.

@cheescaeks maybe they are planning to add the wedding stuff in the farming EP, but I would rather have them focus on Farm stuff like farm animals, new crops, canning, etc... They can make a proper romance pack later, maybe even a Expansion Pack with a lot of the major stuff we have been asking for like wants and fears, likes/dislikes/ turn on/turn offs, horoscope, etc...
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    I guess it all depends on how in-depth they make the stuff pack, how much is added.

I was miffed when I found out about the knitting in uni after voting for this pack, but I will reserve judgement until I see what they do with the pack.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    Looking at the forum polls arts & crafts and knitting were most popular. I agree it's not surprising that they won, but there doesn't need to be a conspiracy behind it.

It seems relatively unlikely that any one theme would get 51% of the vote with five contenders, but I would guess that a good share ranked arts & crafts first based on the community chatter, with ghosts just behind - probably a close 35-34 split, with the rest going to the other choices. Knitting itself was getting quite a bit of enthusiasm from players.

Considering that ghosts are already in the game and do the same things other Sims do, it seems to me that would have been the cheapest pack to do, if TPTB were trying to game it toward least amount of effort required.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    Looking at the forum polls arts & crafts and knitting were most popular. I agree it's not surprising that they won, but there doesn't need to be a conspiracy behind it.
    It seems relatively unlikely that any one theme would get 51% of the vote with five contenders, but I would guess that a good share ranked arts & crafts first based on the community chatter, with ghosts just behind - probably a close 35-34 split, with the rest going to the other choices. Knitting itself was getting quite a bit of enthusiasm from players.
    Did Arts and Crafts officially get 51% of the vote? If it did it really would not surprise me the polls for which pack people wanted on the forums Arts and Crafts ended up at 46% that would just mean there is a higher % of supernatural players here slightly inflating its numbers on the forum vote.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"