Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Arts & Crafts and Knitting have won! Let's discuss!

13...Next

Comments

• KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    I cannot express how happy I am with this. Finally something for my artsy sims to do besides painting and woodworking and flower arranging!
  • CheltsieCheltsie Posts: 2 New Member
    I can't remember which pack idea I voted to be the first, I think hobbies was my second, but I do remember thinking two things:

* Stained Glass / Glass blowing would be SO COOL (knitting was maybe my third choice on crafting)
    * We could really use more things for children and teens to do. (How cool would a spin off of the Scouts after school be? Actual or expanded tasks for the children to work on related to the requirements. Forts houses from sticks or snow for crafts, mini fire spits for kids learning to strike sticks for outdoors, kid-friendly dance offs for that activity skill, "cooking" sandwiches so kids can give back by making subpar family meals. Kids learning how to mix ingredients to make thier own clay or slime for science. I mean, there is so. much. thay could be done to build on it. Kids are cute and fun, give them things to do!) But, yes, that wasn't a pack idea. Ahem. Anyway....

I do like the idea of knitting, I hope it doesn't lean toward an elders pack though. The elder-specific animations annoy me enough that I usually send them out of my playing home immediately, at least if I plan to be playing with my sound on (and usually I do!).

That said, an elders pack with some vintagey items would be complete love. And...and yarn balls people (and animals!) drop on occassion and have to spend a minute or two rewinding could be cute, if not overdone.

It could be fun! I am curious to see what happens next.
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    I am happy that Arts and Crafts won. It was my first choice because I love creative hobbies for my sims and especially ones where there is something physically useful they can make. Like handiness here you can make tables and chairs. I am excited with how they explore this theme and what style they add with CAS and BB.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited November 2019
    I will get this pack if 2 things happen.

1.) Im bored.
    And
    2.) I end up paying <$3 out of pocket. Preferably $1.

Until then, next!

• ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited November 2019
    Eh, I'm happy that A&C won. I think I rated knitting third. I am fine with it having won but I really do hope that they incorporate the pottery and stained glass as well. I get it that it will be a knitting focused pack but I think the arts and crafts theme will do better if it combines a few different elements from the theme.

I accept that knitting will be the primary gameplay but how hard is it to add a few other tasks in order to make it a stronger pack?

I'm ok with there being a few gothic objects or colors but I wouldn't want it to be a pack just centered on that.

I want to have broad appeal including some attention to elders but not exclusively focusing on them. I like the idea of it being a "cozy" pack, but ideally with a few more activities.

I do think that we've really been needing more hobbies and realism. I'm fine with some content being for supernatural players but there's a large contingent that play more realistically and want more to do on a regular basis. I have absolutely no problem with seeing another pack based on Happy Haunts even if it isn't for me.
    Post edited by ChampandGirlie on
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    Eew. Another one I won't buy. It really fits into this folksy/nostalgia/rural theme in US culture. The past really wasn't that golden, you know.
    kittymeow wrote: »
    Really not interested. 😅 I think I put arts and crafts 3rd on my list and knitting was at the bottom, the other activities sounded more fun than knitting. It just sounds so boring to me but it's clear we all play differently and the majority prefer a very realistic game...
    I haven't even bought laundry day because playing a game to do laundry does not appeal to me, at all. :D

I don't think it's actually realistic. I think it's what they'd like to be realistic. It's nostalgic fantasy.
    DeKay wrote: »
    Hopefully our sims can put their knitted sweaters into the washing machine. LOL.

Just dreadful, isn't it?
  • DerellaDerella Posts: 765 Member
    edited November 2019
    From the people who voted for a pack devoted to laundry... We get a knitting pack. Watch your Sim sit! Wear sweaters! Talk about mittens! Upgrade your knitting needles! :s

I'm not surprised, tbh. There is a large percentage of Simmers who love mundanity. The next community stuff pack will be dusting, or ironing.

I kind of hope they make a knitting station that takes up 3x6 tiles and looks ridiculous.
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,939 Member
    I wonder if they'll use the knitting animation from DU. I won't buy it unless it's $5 or less. I voted for the glass blowing, knitting was 4 or 5.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    @nerdfashion We ALWAYS need more hobbies. Doing the same 20 things over and over isn’t fun at all.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Derella wrote: »
    From the people who voted for a pack devoted to laundry... We get a knitting pack. Watch your Sim sit! Wear sweaters! Talk about mittens! Upgrade your knitting needles! :s

I'm not surprised, tbh. There is a large percentage of Simmers who love mundanity. The next community stuff pack will be dusting, or ironing.

I kind of hope they make a knitting station that takes up 3x6 tiles and looks ridiculous.

I prefer to call it realism. And I'd be over the moon for a pack with more everyday household chores. Ironing, dusting, vacuuming, mowing the lawn, making beds, washing windows, etc. Along with a system that would give children and teens a separate allowance and maybe even a new active maid/housekeeper career.
  • g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,027 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @nerdfashion what can a stay-at home mother sim do because gardening, cooking/baking and doing laundry? We don't really have a lot of at-home activities for Moms to do if they don't have a job. I know people want more stuff for moms to do (like a real vaccum cleaner not the robo one from Cats&Dogs),

Why do stay at home moms need to stay at home? The game doesn't prevent them from going out just like in real life they aren't prevented from going out. And even if they do just stay at home, why can't they do what other real life stay at home moms do? They can do everything that non-stay at home moms do.
  • DenimChloeDenimChloe Posts: 58 Member
    I'm not too disappointed at the results. Arts & Crafts was in my top three, I can't remember which order I had the packs, but I am a little disappointed that the other two options I had picked are in the bottom two. Oh well. I am curious to see how this pack turns out. Maybe I will end up getting this pack anyways.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    @g01denswan I am talking about house-making stuff stay-at-home moms are expect to do (heck even non Stay at Home Moms are ALSO expected to do these same jobs despite working: taking care of the house-ie cooking, and laundry) aka what @simgirl1010 said before.. some people like "Realism" and except for laundry and and cooking (gardening is more of a man) there isn't any other other realistic "house-wifey" chores for Sim stay-at-home Moms to do.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Very disappointing, but that's democracy. The majority wins.

But, was it the majority? Have yet to see any percentages, only a ranking of the 5 contenders. A true majority vote means 51% or more of simmers voted for it. However, if it was by mere plurality then only 21% is needed for 'victory'. Thus we could be getting a pack that as many as 79% of simmers don't want. If that was the case (& the lack of numbers suggests that it is), then there should have been a run-off between the top 2. That way the winner would have a majority. As it stands, those unhappy with the results could very well have a solid case for complaint.
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member

But, was it the majority? Have yet to see any percentages, only a ranking of the 5 contenders. A true majority vote means 51% or more of simmers voted for it. However, if it was by mere plurality then only 21% is needed for 'victory'. Thus we could be getting a pack that as many as 79% of simmers don't want. If that was the case (& the lack of numbers suggests that it is), then there should have been a run-off between the top 2. That way the winner would have a majority. As it stands, those unhappy with the results could very well have a solid case for complaint.

I don’t understand this complaint. It was a ranked vote — simmers ranked the packs from most to least favourite, so the first choice had to win by more than a plurality. If they did it properly then as they eliminated the theme that got the least votes they would have counted those players’ second choices towards another theme and so on up through all the themes. So the top theme was picked not only because it had the most first place votes but also because it represented the most second and third choices of a number of players.
  • g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,027 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @g01denswan I am talking about house-making stuff stay-at-home moms are expect to do (heck even non Stay at Home Moms are ALSO expected to do these same jobs despite working: taking care of the house-ie cooking, and laundry) aka what @simgirl1010 said before.. some people like "Realism" and except for laundry and and cooking (gardening is more of a man) there isn't any other other realistic "house-wifey" chores for Sim stay-at-home Moms to do.

I know what you are talking about. I have to ask though: who expects non-employed moms to only do household chores? I want realism too. But realism isn't limited to only household chores. Real life non-employed moms don't just stay home and do household chores. I'd prefer that we get more fun things for our sims to do regardless of if they are non-employed moms.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member

I don’t understand this complaint. It was a ranked vote — simmers ranked the packs from most to least favourite, so the first choice had to win by more than a plurality. If they did it properly then as they eliminated the theme that got the least votes they would have counted those players’ second choices towards another theme and so on up through all the themes. So the top theme was picked not only because it had the most first place votes but also because it represented the most second and third choices of a number of players.

1 Simply asking a question, not a complaint as such. Yet.
    2 They really ought to release numbers as that would remove all doubt. Keeping things secret implies there is something to hide, something they don't want us to know.
    3 Am not one of those unhappy with the results, actually voted for it, but trust EA as far as I can throw the Empire State Building.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited December 2019
    And thank goodness for that. This game is severely lacking in normal, everyday hobbies for people to do in their homes and this entire year especially has been majority focused on actives that are either unrealistic or not done by most people in their daily lives; mermaids on islands, magic worlds, university which focuses more on robots than learning, overly expensive fashion. And all geared only to young adults.

I for one am relived that this pack will actually focus on a normal, technology free activity which can appeal to all ages, especially elders who have been lacking since the game's release. My only concern is that they'll try to say kids are too young to knit, and excluded them from any new gameplay. Arts and crafts is the perfect theme for toddlers and children, so hopefully they get some good new things from this pack since they haven't gotten any new gameplay since last year, whether that be knitting itself or something else.
    Yes, my youngest daughter started sewing and crocheting when she was still a child, she made dolls and clothes and crochet clothes for animals, she also sewed fancy pillows. And I have to say, she was much
    better at sewing than I ever was. So I hope children through elders can knit. I do have a grandmother in my game that I would love to be able to have make stuffed animals and dolls for her granddaughter and be able to give them as gifts. I also think edible art, and embroidery would go well with this pack, although I voted for pottery second.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    If I'm honest I'm a little disappointed. I wanted a new career, like the reaper one. The reason I'm dissapointed is because I think I tricked myself into thinking it might actually happen based on how people talked about Happy Haunts here on the forum, I thought it might actually have a chance.

Same here, to be honest. I really did like the Arts & Crafts ideas, but a Grim Reaper career would be absolutely fantastic!

I would like to see a psychic career, but have no interest in a reaper career.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited December 2019
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    If I'm honest I'm a little disappointed. I wanted a new career, like the reaper one. The reason I'm dissapointed is because I think I tricked myself into thinking it might actually happen based on how people talked about Happy Haunts here on the forum, I thought it might actually have a chance.

Same here, to be honest. I really did like the Arts & Crafts ideas, but a Grim Reaper career would be absolutely fantastic!

I would like to see a psychic career, but have no interest in a reaper career.

With an array of psychic tools for telling the future with, such as a tarot deck and a crystal ball! And maybe palm reading as well. Im more interested in reaping, but I wouldnt say no to sims peering into a crystal ball and predicting misfortune.
    Post edited by InuMiroLover on
  • ShannonMarie_76ShannonMarie_76 Posts: 46 Member
    Can we not have packs that are actually useful?! There have been many items people have wanted for so long and no one listens.
    A few examples are
    - bunk beds
    - L/U and spiral stair cases
    - Ability to build apartments
    - Ability to home school
    - Pool activities other than floating/tanning like volleyball
    - Hanging plants
    - Sectional couches
    - Tiny homes
    - Cars
    - farms

Just to name a few

Instead we get knitting 😡
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    edited December 2019
    The psychic career has more value to me as well. I might use the reaper career occasionally if we got it, but I wouldn't want to use it a lot.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    I just love your blanket @babajayne it is very beautiful. I knit and crochet as well, learned how to knit socks last year and worked imroving my fair isle knitting.