Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Possibilities of a Knitting Stuff Pack

2...Next

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    If we do get lots of crafts the Sims must be able to open a Craft shop, with knitted goods, glassware, etc., etc. As an elder myself I don't want elders to be seen as stuffy old Crumplebottoms. Most of my peer group are going on cruises and coach touring and even jogging.

PS I got rid of my own rocking chair because the rockers kept giving me bruised ankles if I forgot to give it a wide berth when walking past!
  • UnknownGamerUnknownGamer Posts: 77 Member
    Can’t believe knitting won out of all other awesome selections
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    TS4 Nursing Home Stuff.

Add being able to make stuff to sell in your own craft store, cats playing with yarn, and wills to write in the nursing home might make it worthwhile.

Happy haunts, glassblowing, or sculpting were preferable for me.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    MsTiquelle wrote: »
    I really really want cats to be able to play with yarn balls. And toddlers. Even if it's just a BB object that acts as a toy for cats and toddlers and isn't used for knitting. That would be amazing!
    Cats do watch laundry, so it's not completely out of scope either. I may be disappointed though. But it would make me so happy if that was a thing :).

I'm on team cats-with-yarn. I'd like to see that.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited November 2019
    I said this elsewhere but I definitely want a pack to appeal to all ages. Sure, it can work for elders but I think it should still have a fresh style and broad appeal.

I could tolerate a certain amount of "grandma chic" but I'd want to focus more generally on it being a warm woollen pack for all ages including the grannies. I posted a few photos on another thread of some general ideas involving more stylish knitting.

Done right, the pack could appeal in Selvadorada as much as Windenburg, Brindleton Bay, Willow Creek or as yet unreleased worlds such as a country theme and an alpine world.

I agree that it opens up options for layered clothing. There are also really a lot of cultures with knitting traditions.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    Is it really just old people who knit? Really? And is Grandma Chic really a thing?

A happy haunts pack (I wanted this one) could easily have been an elders pack, the nutty old Aunt who uses a spirit board, the Old Bloke who lost his son looking for reassurance in an after life. The Vegan Trait Nana who goes on animal rights protests or is a hunt saboteur. The eccentric old professor who invents robots, plays holo golf and knows everything about the stars. It worries me a bit because surely if we fit everyone into tiny little boxes n wonder the game seems boring. Sims 3 I had a punk Grandma who rode a motor bike, was covered in tattoo's and had the rebellious trait, she was great!
    However if we are going to get an elders stuff pack, please can we have in it interesting things like Strip Poker, Hide the Dentures pranks, Gross out Kids interaction, pretend to be asleep, experiment with interesting jellybeans an wet your pants to order. I mean if I'm going in a nursing home in the next twenty years and someone comes in with a "You're old, sit and knit mentality I fully intend to wet myself on command, it'll be my mess, their problem. Give embarrassing gift would also be good and yes, send grandchild x an imaginary friend toy simply because you know the amount of aggravation it's going to cause the parents. Also I'd like to see an option to befriend death in an elders pack, with the added benefit that you can ask him to reap someone early or visit them on Winterfest Eve to put the ghostly shifts of night into them. As it stands I can think of nothing more boring than playing an elder without any fun interactions in the same way I can think of nothing more boring than a young adult sim who does nothing but party all the time.
    There was a point I was trying to make here....I've forgotten what it was but then again, I'm over 40, what do you expect lol

Oh yeah that was it, I was hoping the glass work and the pottery would be the "thing" we got over knitting if the arts and crafts pack won. If ever the Sims 4 team brings out an "Elders" pack I'd like to think they'd be more imaginative with it than to make it a stereotypical knitting nana pack....but then we did have wash your socks day pack. Say no more.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited November 2019
    davina1221 wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    TS4 Nursing Home Stuff.

Add being able to make stuff to sell in your own craft store, cats playing with yarn, and wills to write in the nursing home might make it worthwhile.

Happy haunts, glassblowing, or sculpting were preferable for me.

I love crafting things in the sims and I did vote for Arts and Crafts but I wanted sculpting. I guess knitting could be an entertaining skill and hobbie for sims as long as they add some depth to it and make the craftables influence gameplay. Like knitted clothes giving off certain buffs/debuffs to sim's emotions.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    Bloosmoo wrote: »
    A happy haunts pack (I wanted this one) could easily have been an elders pack,
    Grandkids can call their grandparents back from the grave.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Guys, you don't need to be mean when someone shares their ideas. Everyone has cool ideas that could be good to play if implemented well in the game. Imaginary Friends were on the top 3 on the occults pool we had some time ago, if i'm not mistaken. So, most players want them in their game. Also, haven't you guys taken a look in the forums and youtube? Everyone wants the Knitting SP to be elder focused.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    I don't care if other people want it elders focused. I don't. But since I'm bound to loose that, I'm at least going to push for modern elders, not elders as defined by the stereotypes of the 1950's-80's. And I know some elders were (and are) really like that. Stereotypes aren't myths, they're exagerations and narrow definitions. There will always be examples that reflect the stereotype. That doesn't mean this pack has to play it to the hilt.

Give me snow birds who jog and practice yoga, give me hippy grandparents and aging rockers. Give me something that isn't striped chintz and oversized florals covered with plastic. Or cracked vinyl "leather" couches, for that matter.

Maybe it's because I'm now looking 50 in the face, but I basically don't want this pack reflecting the houses of elders from when I was a kid... or my great aunt's house, for that matter. My grandmother was a crafty type, but I have very few fond memories of her decor - except for her crafts and while she knitted, I have clearer memories of her shell framed bible verses and things like the repainted spool that was the patio table than I do of her knits. She did a lot of what would now be called found art.

Because if we do get a pack made up of 50's grandma stereotypes in aesthetics for CAS and Build/Buy, I'm probably not buying this pack. Not out of protest, but because I don't want that aesthetic in my game, and the gameplay elements are going to have to be stellar to overcome that.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Give me snow birds who jog and practice yoga, give me hippy grandparents and aging rockers. Give me something that isn't striped chintz and oversized florals covered with plastic. Or cracked vinyl "leather" couches, for that matter.

that's the thing: you can already do that. make an elder with the spa day pack who does yoga. use the basegame assets and make an elder with a mohawk and a leather jacket. use movie day stuff for the hippies.

we don't have anything like what you're trying to fight against in this game, but we certainly have the stuff you keep asking for.

older people who fit that stereotype exists, i want to make the grandma who knits and rocks in a chair and has a tacky ugly floral couch, a huge 🐸🐸🐸🐸 tv that hasn't been updated, and a blue tin that looks like it has cookies inside but doesn't. you not wanting that doesn't mean anything cause its a $10 stuff pack, that the team knows because of the niche themes it doesn't fit everyone's games or wants, there's plenty of people who want an elder stuff pack that fits more into the stereotype who will buy it.

besides that, those assets will fit a starter home sort of niche too, people have been wanting 'normal' looking couches for a while outside of the one that typically pops up in city living's flea market that is an unlockable and needs cheats to access. dated furniture is stuff we need, and it could certainly still be used outside of the stereotypical elder niche by people who dont necessarily want modern homes and couches that look like it came from IKEA.

the stuff you keep asking for well, just wait until the next dlc cause i'm pretty sure there will be lots more modern stuff being released for this game.
  • Skyoasis22Skyoasis22 Posts: 44 Member
    > @KaeChan2089 said:
    > 1. return of the imaginary best friend: your adult-elder sim can now knit a stuffed animal that can be given to an infant or toddler. once the child grows up it becomes an imaginary best friend. so the little elephant stuffed animal or the dragon stuffed animal - whatever it could be - poofs into the imaginary best friend that was in sims 3. it won't be creepy this time around, hopefully, it will just look like a walking talking knitted stuffed animal.
    > ....I highly doubt it...this is a stuff pack...
    >
    > Though I'm not keen on this idea...didn't like them in TS3

This is giving me ''Calvin and Hobbes'' Vibes
  • IrishsongIrishsong Posts: 1,754 Member
    As a knitter myself, and someone who works in a craft store, there is so much more fun you can have with knitting than old lady stuff! Knitting isn't just an old lady craft anymore, a ton of young people are getting into it. Which means there are oodles of colors, designs, and projects to choose from. I think they should also add crochet to it if it's going to be yarn based, but I'm still hoping it's going to be more arts and crafts.
    jzZP0sJ.png
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I don't care if other people want it elders focused. I don't. But since I'm bound to loose that, I'm at least going to push for modern elders, not elders as defined by the stereotypes of the 1950's-80's. And I know some elders were (and are) really like that. Stereotypes aren't myths, they're exagerations and narrow definitions. There will always be examples that reflect the stereotype. That doesn't mean this pack has to play it to the hilt.

Because if we do get a pack made up of 50's grandma stereotypes in aesthetics for CAS and Build/Buy, I'm probably not buying this pack. Not out of protest, but because I don't want that aesthetic in my game, and the gameplay elements are going to have to be stellar to overcome that.
    A lot of what you said IS already in the game your elders can jog and do yoga if you have Spa Day but there is nothing to play an elder like many are looking for and when/if a band pack comes you can play your hippy Rockstar granny decked out in leather and tats but there is no real alternative game play to counteract that life style now seeing as this game has catered to the young adult life stage since release.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 439 Member
    I made my log in just to say I want:
    1. Rocking chairs
    2. Leather recliners (Laz-y-boy style)
    3. Knitted INFANT wear - hats & booties
    4. Knitted Dolls & Animal Toys
    5. Knitted Mobiles and Infant decorations

It's grandma stuff, BUT also baby stuff, and I like it.