Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Possibilities of a Knitting Stuff Pack

cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
i know there are people disappointed with the results but off the top of my head there are some real good possibilities to come out of this: even if its not what you wanted it can be more than just a knitting animation and boom - you get one sweater.

so some possibilities just off the top of my head right now:
1. return of the imaginary best friend: your adult-elder sim can now knit a stuffed animal that can be given to an infant or toddler. once the child grows up it becomes an imaginary best friend. so the little elephant stuffed animal or the dragon stuffed animal - whatever it could be - poofs into the imaginary best friend that was in sims 3. it won't be creepy this time around, hopefully, it will just look like a walking talking knitted stuffed animal.
2. rocking chairs: sims can now have rocking chairs back in their game, they can rock and read, knit, hold a baby (god, can we please get that baby overhaul?), or snooze.
3. fun cas objects: horribly made sweaters, horribly made socks, the range from poor to excellent quality would be a fun addition. sims with low knitting skills will create objects that...well, aren't very good. as they skill up the quality will increase and so will their clothes or things they create. i'm hoping that they will play with the emotion system with this, a sim wearing a piece of garbage knitted shirt will have an embarrassed moodlet. or a sim with a nicely knitted sweater will have a confident moodlet. who knows, it will definitely alter gameplay.
4. build and buy objects: if they do an elder focused pack, it would be nice to have some build buy assets that look like the inside of a grandmother's home. just as a funny joke, even though the item could be useless i'd love to see that blue cookie tin (you know the one) make an appearance. just some build/buy assets like these:

16425998_721231951363656_4164300724951646431_n-optimised.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg
1923695_orig.jpg

what other possibilities can you see happening in this pack?

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Augh! No. I don't want those sorts of assets in my game. If the pack goes that way, I may not buy it. Until you got to the "grandma's sitting room" aesthetic, I was with you, but no. Especially not that first image. (The last one isn't too bad, but still horribly dated. My dad had that in the 80's. By the time he passed (in his 60's) it was gone, and while the living room wasn't exactly modern, it wasn't as dated as that. His widow has a much more contemporary setup.)

I really don't want knitting to become a stereotypical elder pack, based on a stereotype that is fast becoming outdated. 50 years ago was woodstock. The retirement homes of today are as likely to have computer savvy residents listening to the Grateful Dead or the Rolling Stones (our favorite music tends to be the music of our late teens) as ones knitting while listening to Glen Miller. If we must go with a stereotype, I'd rather go with a Woodstock Generation one.

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    1. return of the imaginary best friend: your adult-elder sim can now knit a stuffed animal that can be given to an infant or toddler. once the child grows up it becomes an imaginary best friend. so the little elephant stuffed animal or the dragon stuffed animal - whatever it could be - poofs into the imaginary best friend that was in sims 3. it won't be creepy this time around, hopefully, it will just look like a walking talking knitted stuffed animal.
    ....I highly doubt it...this is a stuff pack...

Though I'm not keen on this idea...didn't like them in TS3
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    I'm not a fan of the imaginary friends either but I do like the idea of knitting toys for kids. I don't mind the old-fashioned items in buy mode but it depends what else is on offer. Chances are that I would take old-fashioned items over super-modern anyway.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Love the idea of the rocking chairs and fun cas stuff!! The imaginary friend would totally creep me. Out even if it's cute lol.
    The reason I'm so disappointed is because laundry day stuff was not what I expected. It's not that I didn't want laundry but I thought it wound be more detailed like having a better dirty clothes system, washing and drying the clothes, ironing them on an ironing board and putting them away after being folded. Laundromats. Running out of soap or detergent and making a trip to the retail store to purchase more, dumping the freshly dried clothes ok top of the kids so they play in it before helping to put them away. (That was like a family tradition 🤣)
    etc etc.
    That's why when I hear knitting I just think it's going to be knit sweater animation and boom a sweater appears, rinse and repeat.

Maybe they will surprise me. I want to add some some fun creative ideas here but nothing comes to mind. 😅
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I do love the idea of a rocking chair (or a few, from traditional to modern) and the different types of knitted goods.

We already have the various levels of quality for woodworking items so having knitted ones in a similar way would be awesome: low skill produces a misshapen item with dropped stitches and holes, high skill produces items of good quality. The moodlets could also be related to who made the item: a Sim wearing a sweater that was gifted to them and made by a family member could get a "warm and fuzzy from loving gift" moodlet.

I hope we get wearable knitted accessories and clothing that can be knitted by Sims and then unlocked in CAS.

As for aesthetic, while I do see the appeal of making this a "Granny" pack, I'd rather see a mix of older and cozy with contemporary. Hopefully a yarn stash shelf, a spinning wheel (decorative, likely) or yarn ball winder, baskets with yarn balls, possibly a pet/toddler toy use for single yarn balls, a project bag as a decoration, french knitting for toddlers and kids...

We already have the kinda aesthetic that I'd love to see for this in Cats&Dogs and the Laundry pack (wicker furniture, clothing styles) so I'm not sure what direction I'd prefer they go. Guess we'll see what the concept art is like.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    All of those are great ideas. Hopefully the team will incorporate some of it. There's so much they can do with knitting.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    No... This made me feel worse... I'm sorry, but elder stuff is a large part of why I didn't want knitting...
    funny-gifs20.gif

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    No to imaginary friends and granny furniture.

Yes to knitted items improving with higher skill.

Here are some of my hopes:
    Hats, layerable scarves, gloves, socks, sweaters and cardigans in many designs (and weird holey misshapen items with low skill).
    A variety of knitted toys that can be cuddled and carried around, will sit on the floor, dressers and end tables and can be cuddled in bed (and seen in bed).
    Knitting for kids upwards.
    Option to use knitting pins or a knitting machine (the machine being more expensive but faster results).
    Sims being able to show others how to knit.
    Knitted items being sellable in retail stores etc.
    Knitted blankets and throws that can be added to furniture, like appearing on a sofa or over a bed.
    Knitted items able to be gifted.
    Dolls that can have little clothes knitted for them and then played with (with an option to change outfit if they are knitted more than one).
    Sheep to provide the wool (lol that's never gonna happen).

I'm not expecting these things, just dreaming.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I'd love to see rocking chairs come in our elder knitting pack but I just don't see that coming in a stuff pack the budget for this game is just to small it has to be a main feature in a expansion like bathroom stalls and a lounge chair sadly.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Enhancing elders yes
    making them old fogeys, dated, bland and bleh NO

I'm not one for knitting, I've been crocheting the same throw blanket for the last ten years. I like the concept of knitting and would've preferred more of a fabric art spin @SimGuruNinja with dry and wet (nuno) felting, tapestry, weaving, knitting, crocheting, embroidery, and cross stitching. Depending on the sims esthetic they can make modern/contemporary art/clothing or traditional styled pieces. They can make tapestries, wall art, rugs, scarves, jackets or even create the family tree or shield.

But, a simple animation where someone is sitting in a rocking chair knitting with kittens near by playing with yarn and simmers harping oooo an elder pack NOPE.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited November 2019
    @elanorbreton yea; it’s be cool to be able to knit blankets or throws that can be added to furniture. I hope they add new item functionalities like that as opposed to just knitting up a bunch of reskinned collectibles.

I also hope any “knitted” CAS items won’t be available in the game unless they are created through working on the knitting skill.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Hmmm perhaps we can knit our own patterns in a sense? Then that make me cool...or knit clothes we can wear
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    If I can't knit ripped sweaters or spiderweb cape with skulls (I do have something like that) and have grandma's become rockstars ( I've actually seen a video like that and she was having a blast. They don't just all sit in rocking chairs), I have feeling it will just be really boring or limiting.

If they want it to appeal to people, they need a variety and make it for kids and up. It isn't just for elderly women, men, kids and teens also knit. There is modern, there is traditional, there are books with patterns aimed for towards fanbases, goths, punks, etc...I knitted before but because I wanted a cool gothic illusion knit and vampire inspired items (I crocheted more though as it is easier and more flexible).

But the chances of getting these things are slim to probably none. I am already disappointed I can'y play as the grim reaper, so why not give us some dark or unsual knitting? It's not just for grandma's and times have changed so even now, the styles aren't the same as back in 1800's and before.

Also there are different cultures which have their own styles, designs and techniques. There are even patterns aimed towards men.

If they can at least compromise and give us a wide variety (lets face it, stuff pack is mostly CAS items with a few build items, not much interactions), I will be more o.k. with this.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    was on reddit and saw a comment that i was thinking about earlier today at school:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/comments/e2q5ii/career_idea_for_the_upcoming_arts_pack/

basically its an etsy freelancer career with knitting. i would really like this!
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    It's a stuff pack. It won't be fully fleshed out. And rocking chair animations with knitting animations at the same time is a tall order so I doubt that's happening.

The only way this pack is gonna be fun is if we can "yarn bomb" objects but doubt it. It wasn't in the description.

Theres probably going to be a huge focus on CAS so I wouldn't expect a lot of build/buy at all tbh.

This is why knitting should have been saved for a hobbies EP.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Thinking on it in the shower... (as one does)

I think what I'd like is in addition to the new CAS items, there to be 3-5 knit recolors of existing base game CAS elements for each body type (Toddlers, Kids, Male Teens-Elders, Female Teens-Elders) that we can unlock via a "pattern book" that our sims can learn the patterns in.

The reason for the pattern book is that it could then (hopefully) be added to via mod the way the spellbook from Realm of Magic was (and I love that mod, even if I haven't grabbed all the spells others have made). This would, in theory, allow other modders to create "patterns" that added knit recolors to other CAS items from any pack (and/or Custom CAS). I'm not sure what sort of programing this would require or if it would be possible, but if it's possible (on a Stuff Pack budget) I think it could be a nice way for people to add new items and expand the use, and allow for different styles of clothing beyond whatever aesthetic eventually wins - Punky, Boho, Goth, romantic, stereotypical "Granny", whatever.

I'm not hoping for much Build/Buy wise. A couple new chairs, a bit of clutter, the toys that have already been mentioned, and maybe some blankets that can be placed across the foot of beds or across the backs of certain couches (full dynamics is beyond what the Sims can offer, so I'm not expecting it to be available for all couches/loveseats.)
    It's a stuff pack. It won't be fully fleshed out. And rocking chair animations with knitting animations at the same time is a tall order so I doubt that's happening.

we already have the knitting animation, it came in discover university when you can prank yarn bomb the university statues. so asking for a rocking chair animation isn't much to ask for tbh.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    @cheescaeks hahahaha good call on “already having the knitting animation.” I didn’t even think of that. It’d be cool and insightful if a diligent person would go through and name all of the existing animations that would’ve been reskinned for all of the proposed packs. Were we all actually fooled into thinking we’d get something “new”? I’m sure an EA intern was assigned with creating the potential pack themes based on pre-existing animations.

I haven’t seen the new repo man yet, but if the animation is similar to previous games, I’m sure that would’ve been used as some kind of “ghostbuster” in one of the new Happy Haunts careers.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    A Char Sim singing "if I can turn back time" while wearing her old hippies outfits.
    Groovey.
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    I really really want cats to be able to play with yarn balls. And toddlers. Even if it's just a BB object that acts as a toy for cats and toddlers and isn't used for knitting. That would be amazing!
    Cats do watch laundry, so it's not completely out of scope either. I may be disappointed though. But it would make me so happy if that was a thing :).
    MsTiquelle wrote: »
    I really really want cats to be able to play with yarn balls. And toddlers. Even if it's just a BB object that acts as a toy for cats and toddlers and isn't used for knitting. That would be amazing!
    Cats do watch laundry, so it's not completely out of scope either. I may be disappointed though. But it would make me so happy if that was a thing :).

i think it would be an easy thing to do! they can recolor one of the toys and reuse the animation of playing with them since its already in game. i hope they do do that cause cats playing with a yarn ball would be adorable.
    I haven’t seen the new repo man yet, but if the animation is similar to previous games, I’m sure that would’ve been used as some kind of “ghostbuster” in one of the new Happy Haunts careers.

i posted video of the repoman on reddit :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/comments/dx1gli/everyones_favorite_repoman_is_back/
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    Maybe we'll get pet dragons patched in, and the knitting SP will let us make clothes for it to wear.

: >
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    Maybe we'll get pet dragons patched in, and the knitting SP will let us make clothes for it to wear.

: >

Totally works for me!
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    TS4 Nursing Home Stuff.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1