Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My biggest disappointment with knitting winning...

Comments

• SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Cheekyimp wrote: »
    And because I know you are here, Ravellers sound off! :D

:wink:
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited November 2019
    Koteyka wrote: »
    I want more cozyness in the Sims.

@Koteyka 👍🏽 TS4 is really missing “cozyness”!
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Yea, I felt that a lot of people sounded ageist saying "something for my grandma to do" when knitting won also :grimace:
    My maternal grandmother was a teacher and hobby Baker, and my paternal grandmother spent time judging people since she was a snob 👀 :joy:
    Both of them don't knit, never knitted

The only ones I found knitting at all was the same age groups you have as well, majority being college students trying not to snap lmao
    I do get that everyone's probably tired of day drinking party grandma by now though lolol

Anyway, I hope knitting unlocks a lot of neat CAS-exclusive items
    Maybe they'll change it into a sort of clothing pack and give us sewing machines too
    Since I'm pretty sure they're not going to throw in sculpting in there...
    ... Which would be a weird combination, but hey, I'm down

I originally wanted sculpting again anyway 😔
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    I believe a lot of film stars knit or knitted on set waiting for their turn and crocheted as well. Very calming. It would be nice to have a list of celebrity knitters!

Some even play Sims 4 during takes to pass the time.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    @Simburian I know that in early days of Hollywood a lot of actors had to do secondary jobs like making costumes, etc themselves
    6adMCGP.gif
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Love this post!! I'm a knitter in my early 20s and everyone gives me grief because I'm such a "grandma" which isn't bad in and of itself but it's the stereotype it makes about knitting, who knits, and what they're capable of. Personally I really love socks and hats but haven't branched out to super complex stuff yet. But if you look around at the patterns floating around Ravelry (knitting and crochet pattern site) you can see the beautiful and intense creations some people do. And quite a few people my age and younger I know knit. There IS a nice group of older ladies that visits where my mom works sometimes and they DO quilt and knit but they make beautiful work....and donate yarn they aren't using to me😊
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @Simburian I know that in early days of Hollywood a lot of actors had to do secondary jobs like making costumes, etc themselves

They were lucky if they got jobs like that too. That reminds me, we want the sewing machine back as well and Sims could make their own costumes up to level 10!
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Ah yes let's advocate for the life stage with 90% of the gameplay to have yet another pack made with them in mind.
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    Ah yes let's advocate for the life stage with 90% of the gameplay to have yet another pack made with them in mind.

YA - Elder? So you want this to be exclusively for what, toddlers?
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    @happyopi elders have 0 content to play with Only YAs keep gettting no stuff to play with
    6adMCGP.gif
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    Several of those pictures are crocheted items, not knitted. ;) I love the idea of having a variety. If they can only make one or two things, it'll be really disappointing. Like Simburian, I'd also like to see the sewing machine make a comeback.

I crochet. I also know how to sew, weave, make baskets, and lots of other things (and I'm 40 and not a grandma). My mom is a pretty crafty person, and taught my brother and I both lots. I never did learn to knit though, that was the one thing she didn't know how to do. Lol.
    My sister and a friend of mine both know how to knit though, and are in their 30's.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    That's not one life stage, that's 3. Don't act like the past packs had anything elder-specific, and not just by-products of YA mania.
    It's not ageism it's content drought, if elders don't get a pack for them now with that theme, when will they ever ?

But yes sure let's made a knitting pack about people under 40, they absolutely need it.
    happyopi wrote: »
    That's not one life stage, that's 3. Don't act like the past packs had anything elder-specific, and not just by-products of YA mania.
    It's not ageism it's content drought, if elders don't get a pack for them now with that theme, when will they ever ?

But yes sure let's made a knitting pack about people under 40, they absolutely need it.

I can see you're not willing to listen, but I'll try to explain what I said one more time:

I don't mind if elders have something to do, but if we go the stereotypical ageist sexist route where everything is just for little old ladies in rocking chairs, I likely will not buy this pack. If it's just elders making hats for toddlers or whatever, who cares?

Lots of people knit. This pack should incorporate a variety of styles - if you look towards the pictures that I posted, that's what I'm calling for - a variety of different styles that aren't just hats and booties and whatever. Knitting is very versatile. If you only want your elders to knit, fine. But in my experience, all the knitters I've known have been quite young, so saying that it should only be a pack for female elders is as disconcerting as saying that a laundry pack should only be for females (I don't have laundry day but the point still stands) or that City Living should only be for single YAs. I just want a variety of cool styles in the game and while I likely won't mind if the majority is focused towards elders (and let's be real, teens through elders can all use the same stuff so saying that nothing is geared towards them is a mischaracterization of the game), what I don't want is for the pack to be all about elders knitting for their grandchildren in rocking chairs and making basic, boring stuff when there are a lot of possible options for what they could include. I'd love mohawk hats and knitted dresses and beard hats and all sorts of cool stuff that I feel like we'd miss out on if this pack is set in the 70's.
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    Several of those pictures are crocheted items, not knitted. ;) I love the idea of having a variety. If they can only make one or two things, it'll be really disappointing. Like Simburian, I'd also like to see the sewing machine make a comeback.

I crochet. I also know how to sew, weave, make baskets, and lots of other things (and I'm 40 and not a grandma). My mom is a pretty crafty person, and taught my brother and I both lots. I never did learn to knit though, that was the one thing she didn't know how to do. Lol.
    My sister and a friend of mine both know how to knit though, and are in their 30's.

So I'll be honest and I can't really tell the difference between knitting and crocheting when looking at the final project, but hey, maybe that'll be another added gameplay feature?

I learned to knit back in college when some of my friends needed a fifth person to start a knitting club, and while it's been a few years since I got out my trusty knitting needles, I really only ever made scarves, and they usually ended up horribly misshapen because I would either drop a stitch or lose count on the rows.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Speakings of clubs I really hope knitting will be a club activity. I'd love have an arts and crafts venue where club members could meet and work on their projects.
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    Hand dyeing wool with the pets color wheel and stencil system. Throw in sheep based on large dogs. That would be interesting. But watching a Sim knit kinda sounds like watching paint dry.
    Also, here's an interesting article on how spies would use knitting to send code, often relying on the stereotype of the old woman knitting... but the only picture is of WW1 soldiers knitting.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-wartime-spies-who-used-knitting-as-an-espionage-tool?utm_source=pocket-newtab
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    And I knit. Badly.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    We all come from different backgrounds. Nothing's right or wrong. But we may feel something is right or wrong.

The only one in my family who knitted was my grandmother. Not my mom and not me. The people I have in my life now don't knit except for my mother-in-law who is above 60 (for the grandkids). None of the males in my family knit or know of any males knitting. To me, knitting is either an outdated woman's hobby or a thing for people with a particular fashion interest.

Knitting baby socks and hats or whatever for my Sims is just not something I'm gonna do. I skip the baby stage altogether and dislike playing with toddlers. That rosy red family stuff is not for me. If I can find a knitted piece of clothing in CAS, then I'm happy. Also, I don't play with elders at all, as I don't do generational play.

But I'm gonna buy the pack nevertheless, 'cause I collect Sims 4 content. My OCD will not allow me to leave anything out. Just hope I will have some fun after all. I do support the game and what offers as a whole. But yeah, knitting was last on my vote list.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

We are all arguing before we even get to second survey. I wonder what we'll be like after the last! :D>:)
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    We are all arguing before we even get to second survey. I wonder what we'll be like after the last! :D>:)

Probably a bloodbath :(

I've been hoping for more crafty things for a while but there is so much bad feeling here that I almost wish something else had won just because the reactions are going to make it a poisoned chalice for those of us who do want knitting specifically, and more crafting in general. I think the situation has been handled a little better than last time, since we all knew what the possible features were whereas Laundry Day was presented as one possibility and turned into something entirely different due to the way the votes were handled.

I wish that there weren't so many assumptions that the same people voting for knitting/crafts are the same people who voted for laundry, because I 100% did not vote for laundry. I don't even have the laundry pack yet - I only decided a few months ago that I will get it next time it's 50% off on Origin.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited November 2019
    Both my grandmothers used to knit when they were still alive. As did my great aunts (their sisters). I remember receiving a new pair of knit socks every year in the mail from one of my aunts, and I still have many of the sweaters etc that my grandma made me when I was young (my daughter wears them now) as well as a bunch of doll clothes my other grandma knit me (that my daughter plays with).

They tried to teach me, but I wasn't interested. Now I wish I knew how haha

(PS Not saying others can't knit too, I have a lot of younger friends that do knit (though quite a few fall in that stay at home mum category), but just that a lot of elderly woman do/did knit too. It's not just a make believe stereotype.)
  • kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    If our sims are able to make cool new clothing with it then I'm all for it but I don't think that will be the case. I can't wrap my head around watching my sims knit, I just can't...

I play this game to escape real life, I want fun, adventurous and out of the box kinda stuff.
    I'm happy for those that wanted it but that doesn't mean I'll ever understand why it is wanted. :D the glass making sounded so much better imo.
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    I keep seeing posts that elders have nothing to do but can't they basically do everything YA's can do? I agree, I don't like this stereotype that elders sit around and knit all day. My grandma used to kayak and was a party animal.

Knitting wasn't my first choice out of the crafts but I hope we get crazy scarfs, knit sculptures and stuffed animals if we can't have glass making or ghost stuff.
    kittymeow wrote: »
    If our sims are able to make cool new clothing with it then I'm all for it but I don't think that will be the case. I can't wrap my head around watching my sims knit, I just can't...

I play this game to escape real life, I want fun, adventurous and out of the box kinda stuff.
    I'm happy for those that wanted it but that doesn't mean I'll ever understand why it is wanted. :D the glass making sounded so much better imo.

The reason I ranked knitting as my first choice in arts and crafts was because it said we could make clothes and I hope that remains true!