Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My biggest disappointment with knitting winning...

Isn't actually the fact that it won - I really don't mind it! It was my top choice for Arts and Crafts - some of the ideas seemed super cool, like being able to knit clothes and whatever.

No, my biggest disappointment is that people are using it to say that now their grandmothers or stay-at-home moms will finally have something to do. Look, I'm all for having more for our elders, but knitting? This is a stereotype at best.

I'm not saying I know everybody in the whole world, nor do I want to, but in my experience, I've never met somebody above the age of 40 who knits. My grandmothers certainly never did (one did, however, teach me how to use a cigarette lighter so I could light her cigarettes... at two). My mother certainly never knit when she was staying home from work. In fact, not a single one of my aunts or even the people I know who are retired knit.

The people I've met who knit have been some combination of the following: bored college kids, punk rockers, people obsessed with zombies, kids with ADHD, and the numbers are equal parts male and female.

Am I overreacting? Probably. It happens a lot. And if you only want your elders to knit, I guess that's your prerogative. But please let's not pretend that this pack should be overly feminine or just for elders or whatever - there are lots of people who could get good use out of this (and I'm secretly kind of excited because when I knit all I could ever do was make scarves). But let's think more Amy Sedaris in terms of styling and less stereotypical grandmother in cardigan on a rocking chair.

Anyway, here are some examples of what I'm trying to talk about:

medium_photo__7_.jpg
Mohawk hats!

6a0120a5968293970c01b7c6ec216a970b-800wi
blackpool-uk-10th-july-2016-showgirl-miss-informed-jenny-wilson-and-GD0KX4.jpg
Knitted lounge chairs!

sibling1.jpg
Whatever this is!

punkknit.jpeg
Also whatever this is!

joensuu-finland-11th-july-2019-finland-july-11-2019-russian-israeli-contestant-eva-performs-at-the-2019-heavy-metal-knitting-championship-the-first-in-history-held-in-joensuu-nina-burmistrovatass-credit-itar-tass-news-agencyalamy-live-news-W33YHY.jpg
Heavy Metal knitting competitions!

Skull_Crossbones_Pirate_Hat_Crochet_PDF_Pattern_2.jpg
8a417b0436e759bb815a26dab8f3be46--hand-knitting-knitting-sweaters.jpg
5794f6cedde75448e0aba1eb48bf8a0f.jpg
s-l300.jpg
Knitted shoes!

tumblr_onm2wvRGHa1rgc96jo1_400.jpg
il_1588xN.1473802226_hyo9.jpg
Knitted face masks for our burglers!

rodarte1.jpg
941cbf5e22452748af8ba7e2141541cd.jpg
7c43ac0fd12ca8196204f339e806281d.jpg

And finally, for those who want elders knitting:

8bd969b1d6137ac68de31b58f0d29e7f.jpg

I don't remember how to change my signature.

Comments

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Well I am disappointed that it is ONLY knitting when I wouldn't have mind other arts and crafts included...the whole reason I voted arts and crafts 2nd was so all lifestates could have something to do....I had no idea they were just picking ONE thing...
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Well I am disappointed that it is ONLY knitting when I wouldn't have mind other arts and crafts included...the whole reason I voted arts and crafts 2nd was so all lifestates could have something to do....I had no idea they were just picking ONE thing...

Sorry that you're disappointed in that - but they laid that out on the very first page of stuff pack voting that the top voted gameplay feature would be included and others might only if it fit the scope of the pack.

So let's talk about ways to make it fun for all life states! As I said, I used to knit back in college, and I have some students who knit so they have something to do with their hands (think fidget spinners) - I don't want this to be just old ladies in rocking chairs (nothing against them, but knitting is way more punk rock than just that).
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    I learned to knit from the mother of a friend of mine. My grandmother passed without teaching me (she was mad that we'd moved her up from Florida when she wouldn't take care of herself). My mom and great aunts crochet.

I welcome almost every image the OP posted. That's what I want to see in this package. Fun, punky wild stuff. It doesn't have to all be modern. A 60's or 70's vibe would be okay too. But I'm so disappointed by this limited view not only on who knits, but what people "of a certain age" can do. Because by what I've observed, people "of a certain age" do a heck of a lot more than knit or cook.

I get that thinking of Grandma getting into a video game or writing a program or painting a masterpiece might be weird. But so is realizing that Woodstock was half a century ago. That Mick Jagger is in his 70's (and let's not talk about Keith Richards.) People today IRL who are in their 60's, 70's and even 80's are the generation of Rock and Roll, the Summer of Love, and the early days of Glam Rock. The people who saw the first moon landing, and the explosion of modern technology.

In short, Elders IRL aren't the elders that most Simmers seem to be pushing Elder Sims to be, and I find that rather sad.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited November 2019
    My disappointment is that now I can't have my sim be the grim reaper without mods (which is broken anyways). I want sims to interact more with other sims and have their lives affected more.

But if we are stuck with this, don't want it just for elders please and give us a variety. There are not just modern and traditional knitting, there is knitting for geeks, goths, punks, kids, etc...the worst part is there are different styles but most likely be ignored because of elders (which I am not even playing).

I'm sorry; but most of my grandparents died long ago and never got to know them, so they didn't teach me anything so I don't have that connection and it makes me feel isolated as it is just another thing I can't relate to. I do know that age didn't always limit people. Some rockstarts are past their 70's and still doing concerts, isn't it just limiting people restricting knitting just for elders and not having elders do other things or have different tastes and style?

Also hope they don't forget about male sims as they are already lacking. Make some knitted stuff for them as well.
    Post edited by XxAirixX on
    @babajayne That blanket is SO COOL! And that sweater is amazing, I love the color on top of the design.

@XxAirixX I totally agree! I mean, I do play elders and some I might have knit (if I get the pack obvs) but I don't just want modern/traditional/stereotypical knitting. I'm all for crazy designs for all sorts of sims to use, regardless of age.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    I say those of us who want knitting but don't want stereotypical Elders band together with the Happy Haunts crowd and push for Goth Knitting as the aesthetic theme. :smiley:

Anyone with me?
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    its not that i don't think that other people outside of elders knit, cause they certainly do, but its just that there isn't much for elders in this game. if we just have more assets that are modern and for young people, cool, but that's just adding on more assets for lifestages that are already rather fleshed out.

we're not asking for it to be restricted to just elders and teen-adult can't knit, we just want more assets and stuff for them cause there's always more ideas and stuff packs and gamepacks to add in modern things but not so much for dated furniture and cas assets that aren't as instagrammy.
  • kristenleighwhitekristenleighwhite Posts: 226 Member
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    its not that i don't think that other people outside of elders knit, cause they certainly do, but its just that there isn't much for elders in this game. if we just have more assets that are modern and for young people, cool, but that's just adding on more assets for lifestages that are already rather fleshed out.

we're not asking for it to be restricted to just elders and teen-adult can't knit, we just want more assets and stuff for them cause there's always more ideas and stuff packs and gamepacks to add in modern things but not so much for dated furniture and cas assets that aren't as instagrammy.

Completely agree! I'd like the option to make a "grandma" sim who after a nice nature walk and cup of tea, sits down to do some knitting...or am I confusing this with my life now...?

I totally understand where you're coming from (or at least I think I do, and if I get it wrong I do apologize) - I was trying to be very careful with how I worded my original post, but I know I may have had it come off poorly.

I really don't mind if elders can knit. That's fine! But when everybody is posting stereotypical pictures of grandmas in cardigans in rocking chairs, and a lot of the comments I've seen is that finally their elders and stay-at-home moms will have something to do (I realize this is an oversimplification, and not everybody is saying that, and so on and so forth) - and it feels vaguely icky to me, because lots of people can knit, and it's more than just elders teaching their grandchildren how to do it (and that would be an awesome feature!) But I don't want that to be how knitting works - I want my grandma in her modern furniture and my college sim with his dated furniture and my punk rock merman knitting as he waits to go to work in the morning.

I want to want this pack - and if it's designed entirely with elderly females in mind because it's a knitting pack, then I'll have a problem - because that's way too narrow a view of who knits and who enjoys crafting in general.

Completely agree! I'd like the option to make a "grandma" sim who after a nice nature walk and cup of tea, sits down to do some knitting...or am I confusing this with my life now...?

I also want this. But I also want the option for my broke college student to realize he can't afford new clothes so he makes some of his own to keep him warm from the upcoming winter (aka how I got all of my scarves in college).
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    @superkyle221 Thank you for the lovely compliments 😊

Although, I wouldn’t consider knitting a way to save money - but I suppose it can be if one is a wise spender (I’m not! I’m a yarn snob). I’m hoping The Sims makes it faster and cheaper than it is IRL!
    edited November 2019
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I say those of us who want knitting but don't want stereotypical Elders band together with the Happy Haunts crowd and push for Goth Knitting as the aesthetic theme. :smiley:

Anyone with me?

I would be more than o.k. with this. If I can't play as the grim reaper, I can least create items for sims to wear at goth clubs or at vampire and witches hangouts. I crocheted a cape with spiderwebs and skulls, maybe can knit something similar. I also want a ripped sweater with stripes, bats or crosses like patterns I seen or a vampire pillow and scarf.

Knitting isn't just for elders and elders can do more than just sit around. I saw an elderly lady rocking out singing to AC/DC. She looked good and was having a blast. Times also changed so even traditional styles changed over the decades.

Lets band together for the dark arts (and crafts)!

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    I guess with knitting I can make a mini Hagrid sim and a Molly Weasly sims (We know both knit in the HP univerise)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • ponyfhtagnponyfhtagn Posts: 17 Member
    > @DaWaterRat said:
    > I say those of us who want knitting but don't want stereotypical Elders band together with the Happy Haunts crowd and push for Goth Knitting as the aesthetic theme. :smiley:
    >
    > Anyone with me?

Heck yeah!
    I hope no one is suggesting that the entire aesthetic for the pack be goth... just an option, right? Because I want a variety of styles and I’m sure I’m not the only one.
    babajayne wrote: »
    I hope no one is suggesting that the entire aesthetic for the pack be goth... just an option, right? Because I want a variety of styles and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

I'm with you! I want as wide a variety as possible (while still realizing this is just a stuff pack)!

Why not? We always have bright color stuff and we already had our dreams crushed, they told us the vote and you told us not to be rude, so allow us to vote for what we want at least.
    XxAirixX wrote: »

Why not? We always have bright color stuff and we already had our dreams crushed, they told us the vote and you told us not to be rude, so allow us to vote for what we want at least.

Good luck with your voting 👍
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited November 2019
    yes there should definitely be many types of knits
    not just grandma stuff not just young ppl stuff

especially would love some ''funny knits'' type patterns myself since they're rather popular here
    and sims got all these logo things that could be used for it
    like grilled cheese knitted mittens?
    surely something my sims would knit
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited November 2019
    Huh. Well, I'm glad I voted Arts and Crafts down lower. I think that accurately expresses how excited I am about knitting versus being the Grim Reaper. :( Arts & Crafts was fourth on my list, I believe. Happy Haunts was first. I knew the science-themed ones were never going to win, but I honestly rated them highly. I would have loved the Void Critters search thing. And Legos would have been awesome. Erm, sorry. "Building blocks" would have been awesome. :)

It seems like this vote really came down to supernatural fans versus realistic fans, and the latter is just a bigger group. Plus, a lot of people who don't like supernatural really, really don't like it. I'm guessing it came out last on a lot of people's lists, whereas I doubt there were many people who hated the idea of Arts and Crafts.

I really, really hope the pack includes pottery as well, and not just knitting. ("Crafts" implies multiple kinds, right? *wishful thinking*) That and glass blowing were the only two things in the Arts and Crafts category that really appealed to me. But looking at this thread, I would get more excited if there's a variety of designs like people have suggested.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @babajayne oooh, Celestarium! That's on my future project list though I'm not yet brave enough for it ;)

OP, I love all those pics and hope we do get the art style option of something quirkier than the expected "granny chic". Hopefully the devs peek in here for the variety of ideas that would fit with knitting (hey, tiny hint: add a new video game based on Unravel?).

We do already have the homey, country aesthetic in other packs, so something different would certainly be welcome. Hopefully even though it's "only" a stuff pack, there's going to be room for variety.
  • KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    edited November 2019
    I don't know... Call me weird but I would honestly love to be able to play with a typical grandma that bakes cupcakes and knits and possibly tortures people who fall for her sweetness in her basement but that's a totally different story and does other stuff considered stereotypical.
    Don't get me wrong, obviously I want my teens to knit toys and sell on Etsy, my adult dad sim to knit sweaters for his daughter, but sometimes I just want to be able to create a bland old-school family living on a farm that do boring stereotypical things. A business father, a woodworking grandpa, a knitting grandma, a stay-at-home mother and their four little children who will grow up to move out in the big city and become rebellious. It's just something I'd love to play around with.
    I would also be very happy if this stuff pack had a rustic old-school vibe to it. Not because "it's gunna be an eeeelders pack, they're all old and wrinklyyy" but because I want more cozyness in the Sims. Is that really too much too ask?
    I also want my grandpas to knit. My grandpa knitted socks IRL. They turned out fabulous.
  • CheekyimpCheekyimp Posts: 124 Member
    Thats my concern, its such an outdated stereotype that just the elderly knit because they have nothing better to do, and its all old fashioned and out of date and no one wants that, argh! Of course its good to have some else for elderly sims to do (not that they don't have the option to do literally every thing else in the game, ok exercise carefully but they still can!) and its fine if you want that for your sims, I'm just concerned that people see knitting and think old person and thats it, and its just not true, it can be trendy and cool and plenty of people in other age brackets enjoy it too.
    And because I know you are here, Ravellers sound off! :D
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    It would be a cool idea if the gurus reached out to those on here who said they knit and chose the best projects by them to include in the actual stuff pack as something we could knit. :)