Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Arts & Crafts and Knitting have won! Let's discuss!

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @nerdfashion what can a stay-at home mother sim do because gardening, cooking/baking and doing laundry? We don't really have a lot of at-home activities for Moms to do if they don't have a job. I know people want more stuff for moms to do (like a real vaccum cleaner not the robo one from Cats&Dogs),

I dunno, stay at home moms can paint, write books, arrange flowers from said garden, write programs and apps. (hint, I'm a SAHM, and I did most of these, though I only have one and she's in college now.)

Don't get me wrong, I voted for Arts and Crafts and Knitting so that my sims could enjoy the same crafty stuff I do (though any of the Arts and Crafts gameplay would have been fine with me.) But don't sell SAHM moms short on what's available for them to do.

except writing books, painting, or arrange flowers or write program are not steryopic activities for SAHM Moms. (think 50s moms)

I guess I refuse to limit my sims to outdated stereotypes. (Even for a historical game, writing, at least, was something women have done for a very long time. I point you to the works of Mary Wolstoncraft just as one point of many. And flower arranging is very much something women with flower gardens have done as long as there have been women with flower gardens.)

yyou mean Mary Shelby's (aka Dr. Frankenstein's grandmother) Mother? But people want more household chores (ie: dusting or real vacuum cleaners not robovacums ) in the gamw

Yep. Granted, she's not a "typical housewife" but as I said, I refuse stereotypes. I also have all my spellcasters learn Scruberoo first off so they don't actually have to clean anything, since I'm not interested in my sims doing chores.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited November 2019
    babajayne wrote: »
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    Knitting - Eh.
    Do people still do this sort of stuff?
    Yep! I am knitting a very squishy brioche blanket right now! https://imgur.com/gallery/Iltoef1

I wear handknit wool socks every day, they’re the coziest. Wool wicks moisture away from your skin and there are natural antibacterial effects as well, so they don’t stink. I love fingerless mitts for chilly weather but where I need my fingertips to use my phone... And I have been much happier getting through cold weather with wooly accessories. They’re so much warmer than anything store bought I ever had. If any of these warm & fuzzy feelings can be done in the Sims, it’ll be a nice touch!

I feel like I learned a lot about wool in this post I didn't know before, thanks! 😊

To the OP: I'm not too mad about it personally, out of A&C, knitting definitely was my favorite. And frankly, it was somehow extremely obvious to me (and many others) that it would win. In fact, despite dreaming about nothing but Death Stranding for days now since someone's gifted it to me for me for birthday and I can't stop playing it, I still ended up dreaming knitting won the vote last night! I'm honestly not kidding.

So, I guess I'm a) not super disappointed about it, and b) if I had been, I'd have made my piece with it the very seconded we voted. ;)
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    And thank goodness for that. This game is severely lacking in normal, everyday hobbies for people to do in their homes and this entire year especially has been majority focused on actives that are either unrealistic or not done by most people in their daily lives; mermaids on islands, magic worlds, university which focuses more on robots than learning, overly expensive fashion. And all geared only to young adults.

I for one am relived that this pack will actually focus on a normal, technology free activity which can appeal to all ages, especially elders who have been lacking since the game's release. My only concern is that they'll try to say kids are too young to knit, and excluded them from any new gameplay. Arts and crafts is the perfect theme for toddlers and children, so hopefully they get some good new things from this pack since they haven't gotten any new gameplay since last year, whether that be knitting itself or something else.
  • JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    Arts and Crafts was my last choice...
    So, it’s not a surprise that I’m very disappointed; however, I’m not really shocked either. Just like the last Community Pack vote, my votes didn’t matter then, and I see that’s the case again.

I was really hoping for something unique and added some of that quirky sims humor like the grim reaper, ghost hunting, and psychic careers. Instead I can have sims that... knit?

Yay? :/
  • kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    edited November 2019
    Really not interested. 😅 I think I put arts and crafts 3rd on my list and knitting was at the bottom, the other activities sounded more fun than knitting. It just sounds so boring to me but it's clear we all play differently and the majority prefer a very realistic game...
    I haven't even bought laundry day because playing a game to do laundry does not appeal to me, at all. :D
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    I'm fine with the Arts and Crafts pack winning but I think knitting is kind of boring, I was hoping more pottery or stained glass. Or embroidery which is my personal favorite arts and crafts activity.

I do hope they include the ideas of Haunted Haunts in the future though, I just asked in the stuff pack discussion yesterday about supernatural themed stuff packs and there is a grand total of 1 (which is more Halloween themed than occult so it just barely counts)
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    One thing I forgot to add: I do hope this means we finally get functional scarves like the one in the Pufferhead SP, that would be awesome <3
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    One thing I'd hope for since knitting is the primary theme: a french knitter for children to use (obviously ideally they'll be able to knit normally but if they can't, a french knitter would be fun too).

I hope this is gonna be all ages. Most ages. I wouldn't trust toddlers with needles but yarn balls provide possibilities for play ;)
    Also, knit-bombing things for pranks. And making accessories was mentioned so functional scarves are top of my list along with unlockable CAS items.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited April 2021
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    One thing I'd hope for since knitting is the primary theme: a french knitter for children to use (obviously ideally they'll be able to knit normally but if they can't, a french knitter would be fun too).

I hope this is gonna be all ages. Most ages. I wouldn't trust toddlers with needles but yarn balls provide possibilities for play ;)
    Also, knit-bombing things for pranks. And making accessories was mentioned so functional scarves are top of my list along with unlockable CAS items.

Yarn bombing is already a prank option in Discover University.

And the knitting animation (for the hands/arms at least) already exists. :smiley: (The English Simmer focused on it when she did it in her University let's play.)
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

Yarn bombing is already a prank option in Discover University.

And the knitting animation (for the hands/arms at least) already exists. :smiley: (The English Simmer focused on it when she did it in her University let's play.)

Oh I know, but this pack will open up the possibility to extend that prank to elsewhere in the worlds.
  • Winifred_WillowWinifred_Willow Posts: 423 Member
    Arts & Crafts was my second choice. I'm not super excited about it but we will see. I do occasionally knit irl and like it well enough but it's not something I would consider adding to the game but I know that there are others over the moon about it and I'm glad for them. I would have been more excited about a new career and possible Happy Haunts items.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I'm very disappointed. Knitting? Really? I've seen people's reasoning for it, but... We don't really need more hobbies. I can think of over 20, I'll post them right now.
    1. Cooking
    2. Baking
    3. Painting
    4. Writing
    5. Mixology
    6. Programming
    7. Video Gaming
    8. Handiness
    9. Singing
    10. Acting
    11. Dancing
    12. Photography
    13. Pet Training
    14. Flower Arrangement
    15. Media Production
    16. Robotics
    17. Herablism
    18. Wellness
    19. Archaeology
    20. Pipe Organ
    21. Piano
    22. Violin
    23. Guitar
    24. Fitness
    25. Bowling
    26. Fishing
    27. Gardening
    28. there's more, but I think you get the point.

I just... I cant...

The best part about Sims is the skills and most fall under the hobby category. I hope we get A TON more hobbies and skills in the future. I use skills and hobbies to add character to my Sims. I wouldn't want to keep repeating the hobbies with every one of my characters.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I seen SimGuruNinja say it was a "Knitting Stuff Pack." so there is no other arts and crafts....so.......yeah if that's the case...very disappointed.
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    They always said they'd most likely only take the top result, and maybe add in some additional features if there was space/time. It may not even be the other options we could vote on, but other stuff related to knitting?
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Grateful that something normal won, though went for pottery as 1st for activity. If I remember correctly there is a possibility that some of the other activities may be included, the 1st choice being the only one guaranteed. Time will tell.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Besides having my dreams of playing as the grim reaper being crushed because, need more realism apparently, I am worried it will turn more into stereotypical elderly lady sims pack when you can give it a lot of variety that can appeal to more people.
    -Allow children to knit
    -make it social so they can talk and teach
    -allow stuff inspired by subcultures and not bright and colorful items
    -include designs and styles from around the world
    -don't neglect male sims this time.

I might actually get it and like it if they have a lot of variety. I don't have all the stuff packs as they aren't my priority when it comes to sims games, so it is turns out to be limiting and stereotypical, I will probably pass on it or least for a good awhile (I still don't have that first party stuff pack along with a few others).
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    I found the results to be incredibly depressing. We have a plethora of hobbies in the game but few careers by comparison. Maybe a modder out there will mod the knitting needles with death reaping capabilities so my sim can run around reaping townies with her knitting needles. Knitting is not a feature that even remotely interests me in The Sims. :/

The only saving grace for me is that at least it's just an SP. I've passed on others in the past, and I'll just add this one to the list. Laundry and Knitting are my newest non-swear swearing words in the real world now. LOL

Someone cuts me off in traffic, I'll be screaming "#$*%&*$^ Knitting!" LOL
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Happy Haunts was my preference but hopefully this pack will be worth something
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member
    Hopefully our sims can put their knitted sweaters into the washing machine. LOL.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    If I'm honest I'm a little disappointed. I wanted a new career, like the reaper one. The reason I'm dissapointed is because I think I tricked myself into thinking it might actually happen based on how people talked about Happy Haunts here on the forum, I thought it might actually have a chance.

Well, it was second so your hopes weren't misplaced - there just weren't enough players liking that topic to carry it to the first place.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I had a Great-Grandma that was very good at Knitting Slippers, Throws & Sewing Patched Quilts.
    She had 14 children & lived to be 103 before she passed away.
    She was a very good lady.
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    That is so disappointing.. Was hoping for a new set of careers knitting is a pain in real life anyway. Guess our elderly sims will finally get something out of it? Still is disappointing.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• PoppyErstwhilePoppyErstwhile Posts: 29 Member
    I admit it: I am disappointed. Even though the Arts&Crafts was my second choice, I was so certain that Happy Haunts would win! I was already looking forward to a new career and more paranormal stuff! Now I am not sure if we'll ever see a new occult pack, which is pretty depressing (I want ghost hunting so much! and werewolves! and fairies!).

But that's life - the majority has decided and I am sure that the Knitting pack will be a welcome addition to the game. I am a fan of knitting myself and I can see a lot of potential it can bring to the game. More sweaters! More scarves (are there any currently?)! Knitted hats! Mittens and finger gloves! Knitted toys, new skill (hopefully for all ages!) and maybe some lovely homely objects to go with it!

Congratulations, Arts&Crafts voters, you won fair and square! :)
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    If I'm honest I'm a little disappointed. I wanted a new career, like the reaper one. The reason I'm dissapointed is because I think I tricked myself into thinking it might actually happen based on how people talked about Happy Haunts here on the forum, I thought it might actually have a chance.

Same here, to be honest. I really did like the Arts & Crafts ideas, but a Grim Reaper career would be absolutely fantastic!