Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Arts & Crafts and Knitting have won! Let's discuss!

The results of the first community stuff pack poll are in and we have our first 2 winners! I voted for Arts & Crafts and sculpting was my number one with knitting as third I believe?? Thoughts?

Comments

• JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited November 2019
    If I'm honest I'm a little disappointed. I wanted a new career, like the reaper one. The reason I'm disappointed is because I think I tricked myself into thinking it might actually happen based on how people talked about Happy Haunts here on the forum, I thought it might actually have a chance.

Edit: My phone spelled disappointed as dissapointed... Amazing
    Post edited by JackOnYourBack on
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Knitting - Eh. I use to be into needlepoint, arts, and crafts, and knitting was something that I just did not care for. But at the moment I'm going to hold off on my judgment. Do people still do this sort of stuff?
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I'm not surprised, really. It seemed inevitable. We do need more domestic crafts, even if it's not something I personally want.

But this means I'm comin for the devs for a Happy Haunts game pack! ;)
    #Team Occult
  • FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    It was my first choice so I’m happy. I just hope it will be more elder focused, since i desperately need more things for my elders to do and wear
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    I know it steps a bit on Laundry Day's toes, but if it ends up an elders pack (And Arts and Crafts and Knitting aren't just for elders - just like Elders can do all the things YA sims can do...) I'm hoping for a Ageing Hippy vibe. Macrame and pony beads, Peace, love and Rock and Roll. (Alternately Woohoo, Herbs, and Rock and Roll). Painted denim, tie-dye, little round glasses like John Lennon wore... perhaps a bit of Grateful Dead psychodelia... You know, stuff from the youth of the people who today are in their 70's... Woodstock was 50 years ago, after all.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I'm very disappointed. Knitting? Really? I've seen people's reasoning for it, but... We don't really need more hobbies. I can think of over 20, I'll post them right now.
    1. Cooking
    2. Baking
    3. Painting
    4. Writing
    5. Mixology
    6. Programming
    7. Video Gaming
    8. Handiness
    9. Singing
    10. Acting
    11. Dancing
    12. Photography
    13. Pet Training
    14. Flower Arrangement
    15. Media Production
    16. Robotics
    17. Herablism
    18. Wellness
    19. Archaeology
    20. Pipe Organ
    21. Piano
    22. Violin
    23. Guitar
    24. Fitness
    25. Bowling
    26. Fishing
    27. Gardening
    28. there's more, but I think you get the point.

I just... I cant...
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    😴😴😴😴😴
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    @nerdfashion what can a stay-at home mother sim do because gardening, cooking/baking and doing laundry? We don't really have a lot of at-home activities for Moms to do if they don't have a job. I know people want more stuff for moms to do (like a real vaccum cleaner not the robo one from Cats&Dogs),
    6adMCGP.gif
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    Knitting - Eh.
    Do people still do this sort of stuff?
    Yep! I am knitting a very squishy brioche blanket right now! https://imgur.com/gallery/Iltoef1

I wear handknit wool socks every day, they’re the coziest. Wool wicks moisture away from your skin and there are natural antibacterial effects as well, so they don’t stink. I love fingerless mitts for chilly weather but where I need my fingertips to use my phone... And I have been much happier getting through cold weather with wooly accessories. They’re so much warmer than anything store bought I ever had. If any of these warm & fuzzy feelings can be done in the Sims, it’ll be a nice touch!
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    Very disappointing, but that's democracy. The majority wins.
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    Knitting - Eh. I use to be into needlepoint, arts, and crafts, and knitting was something that I just did not care for. But at the moment I'm going to hold off on my judgment. Do people still do this sort of stuff?

There's a series of books by Debbie Stoller (title is Stitch n' Plum - but that gets caught by the filter) put out relatively recently. Plus websites like Ravelry. Lots of people of all ages knit.
  • CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    This was round 1 of voting, so will round 2 actually determine the activity (activities) within the arts and crafts pack?
    CaprianaB wrote: »
    This was round 1 of voting, so will round 2 actually determine the activity (activities) within the arts and crafts pack?

Part of the vote was a vote on the primary gameplay element, which Knitting won. Next up I believe is art style based on the post here

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/969573/community-voted-stuff-pack-2-information-and-useful-links
  • IzzabelleIzzabelle Posts: 153 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    Thoughts?
    Because it comes at the expense of Happy Haunts; I may end up hating this pack even more than I hate Laundry Day. So that's something.
    ZU6MUcP.gif
  • JnyxJnyx Posts: 273 Member
    Meh boring.
    We'll get to watch our sim move their hands a little bit and then poof a sweater or something appears.

And I can't imagine any aesthetic this pack might have that would be different than the laundry pack or anything we have already.

I won't be buying it, not worth it.
  • CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    CaprianaB wrote: »

Part of the vote was a vote on the primary gameplay element, which Knitting won. Next up I believe is art style based on the post here

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/969573/community-voted-stuff-pack-2-information-and-useful-links

Thanks! Looks like there will be several more rounds of voting.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I am still confused...while Arts and Crafts was my 2nd choice, I didn't realize that KNITTING would be the ONLY thing...and IF it is...very wasted opportunity
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @nerdfashion what can a stay-at home mother sim do because gardening, cooking/baking and doing laundry? We don't really have a lot of at-home activities for Moms to do if they don't have a job. I know people want more stuff for moms to do (like a real vaccum cleaner not the robo one from Cats&Dogs),

I dunno, stay at home moms can paint, write books, arrange flowers from said garden, write programs and apps. (hint, I'm a SAHM, and I did most of these, though I only have one and she's in college now.)

Don't get me wrong, I voted for Arts and Crafts and Knitting so that my sims could enjoy the same crafty stuff I do (though any of the Arts and Crafts gameplay would have been fine with me.) But don't sell SAHM moms short on what's available for them to do.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    I am still confused...while Arts and Crafts was my 2nd choice, I didn't realize that KNITTING would be the ONLY thing...and IF it is...very wasted opportunity

We don't know if knitting will be the only thing, but a stuff pack has certainly not 5 themes. That is the drawback of these surveys - they give us 25 mouth-watering choices and at the end we get almost nothing.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

We don't know if knitting will be the only thing, but a stuff pack has certainly not 5 themes. That is the drawback of these surveys - they give us 25 mouth-watering choices and at the end we get almost nothing.

Well, if I had known that....-facepalm.- Thought this was an good idea..now it just seems not as much

I dunno, stay at home moms can paint, write books, arrange flowers from said garden, write programs and apps. (hint, I'm a SAHM, and I did most of these, though I only have one and she's in college now.)

Don't get me wrong, I voted for Arts and Crafts and Knitting so that my sims could enjoy the same crafty stuff I do (though any of the Arts and Crafts gameplay would have been fine with me.) But don't sell SAHM moms short on what's available for them to do.

except writing books, painting, or arrange flowers or write program are not steryopic activities for SAHM Moms. (think 50s moms)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I disagree the game doesn’t need more hobbies, dancing for one is very limited. Sims dance the same to all music genres.

I’m not surprised knitting won. I don’t think it’s comparable to laundry. People had been clamouring for laundry for some bizarre reasons for months before the first stuff pack announced, sim guru Graham had said he would love to make a laundry stuff pack and to make some noise if we wanted it. Laundry could have been paired with a kick a pixelated kitten theme and it would have won regardless- it hijacked eco living and left us with laundry.

Knitting is a hobby at least, enjoyed by people. My neighbour knits and I have a friend who does something similar. No one wakes up in the morning and thinks “Woohoo it’s time to do laundry!” I think the game needs more hobbies not gimmicks.

I voted for arts and crafts because while I like the sound of happy haunts the sims 4 would make it very childlike, sims hardly die so it would be wasted. The self care sounded dull, and the tech one sounded like they planned to charge us for smaller microscopes. The arts and craft ideas were something we didn’t have in the game in some form.
    edited November 2019

except writing books, painting, or arrange flowers or write program are not steryopic activities for SAHM Moms. (think 50s moms)

I guess I refuse to limit my sims to outdated stereotypes. (Even for a historical game, writing, at least, was something women have done for a very long time. I point you to the works of Mary Wolstoncraft just as one point of many. And flower arranging is very much something women with flower gardens have done as long as there have been women with flower gardens.)
    edited November 2019

I guess I refuse to limit my sims to outdated stereotypes. (Even for a historical game, writing, at least, was something women have done for a very long time. I point you to the works of Mary Wolstoncraft just as one point of many. And flower arranging is very much something women with flower gardens have done as long as there have been women with flower gardens.)

you mean Mary Shelby's (aka Dr. Frankenstein's grandmother) Mother? But people want more household chores (ie: dusting or real vacuum cleaners not robovacums ) in the gamw
    6adMCGP.gif

you mean Mary Shelby's (aka Dr. Frankenstein's grandmother) Mother?

Yep. Granted, she's not a "typical housewife" but as I said, I refuse stereotypes.