Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My sim's degree didn't help with her job

My sim just got a distinguished Literature degree with honors. She started at level 4 from having the Connections Aspiration reward in the Law field. The Lit degree is supposed to help with becoming a Private Attorney, but there was no signing bonus, no special level advancement. Nothing. What am I doing wrong? This is a new save started after downloading Uni.
42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

Comments

• DaB1gVDaB1gV Posts: 684 Member
    Private Attorney should be a job in itself under the jobs offer. Like, you don't press Law, you scroll down to Private Attorney which should be its own entity.

I had this same issue!
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I scrolled through all the available jobs again, but it's not listed separately.

• Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    I scrolled through all the available jobs again, but it's not listed separately.

That's weird, but you may have to wait a week before you can find it. The message says something about only being able to claim the bonus once a week. It worked for me though because I just did this last night.
    You're Breathtaking!
    I wonder if the Connections reward trait bugged it.

Ah! I got it now. I had to quit my job in order for it to show up.

• popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Glad I stumbled across this post @SageRainWillow! I was having the same problem and it was driving me nuts!
  • analiseanalise Posts: 2 New Member
    I also have had a problem with my Sims degree working. I sent two of my sims to University from home, they graduated at the same time (with honors). One got a degree in Drama, so when she joined the acting career she received a bonus and bumped p to level 7 in her career, but when my other sims joined the business career (he got a distinguished degree in economics), he got no bonus and is starting at level 1 of the business career. Does my other sim have to wait a week to bump up in his career just because my other sim got her bonus? I would find that silly if that's the case.
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited November 2019
    @analise - hope EA can fix that if your supposition is correct. The bonus should work on a per-sim level, not a per-HH level! Anyone know if there's a bug-report for that over on the bug-report forum? (I don't have DU & won't be getting it until it's half-off, but this is something that ought to be fixed, if possible.)

edit: if there is such a bug-report & someone adds the link, it'd be helpful, analise, if you'd follow such a link and hit the 'me-too' button. EA tends to fix the bugs that get a LOT of 'me-toos.' :wink:
  • kusurusukusurusu Posts: 971 Member
    @analise you have to join the career branch (investor/management) directly
    My SuperSim Collection: Rosetta Stone · Sona Ali
  • analiseanalise Posts: 2 New Member
    @kusurusu , I know, but how am I supposed to do that when it starts me at level 1. the degree is supposed to put me at a higher level?
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    analise wrote: »
    @kusurusu , I know, but how am I supposed to do that when it starts me at level 1. the degree is supposed to put me at a higher level?

She means that it list it separately from the regular career on the choice list
    So my Sim's son just went through University. He got the same degree, but he wants to be a Writer. Private Attorney is listed separately, but Level 8 of the Writing career (Fan Favorite) is NOT listed separately. Joining the Writing career only gave him Level 3 with a distinguished Lit degree. The way they have obtaining a job is annoying and confusing as all get out.

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    edited November 2019
    How about sims who are already having a career? Adults and elders can go to Uni too, will they need to quit their jobs and apply for a job again after graduation? If being a full time student that might make sense, but what if you take only a couple classes per term, aside of your existing job? Won't the old employer give you any boost when you've got the Uni diploma?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    How about sims who are already having a career? Adults and elders can go to Uni too, will they need to quit their jobs and apply for a job again after graduation? If being a full time student that might make sense, but what if you take only a couple classes per term, aside of your existing job? Won't the old employer give you any boost when you've got the Uni diploma?

I'd like to know this too. Thanks
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited November 2019
    I'm having this issue now. My sim graduated with a distinguished degree in computer science but when I apply to engineering or tech guru, he starts at level 1. I saw in this thread that the boosted up career options are listed separately from the normal ones but I can't find them on the menu of "find a job".
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    Try having your sims quit their current job and see if they now have an option to join the branch directly.
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Try having your sims quit their current job and see if they now have an option to join the branch directly.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately it didn't work :(
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    Make sure to get your job right after the degree, without changing households, moving out... I had that issue while switching households in the time between graduation and job apply.
  • kusurusukusurusu Posts: 971 Member
    edited February 2020
    EgonVM wrote: »

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately it didn't work :(

Then check your trait panel for any degrees. If there's none your sim didn't graduate properly.
    Post edited by kusurusu on
    My SuperSim Collection: Rosetta Stone · Sona Ali
    Thanks for the answers. I moved him back home after graduation and waited for a couple of days to get him a job. I wanted him to enjoy his family a bit before getting into his career.
    As suggested I went back to the stadium Justin case but no interaction related to the diploma showed. He is indeed graduated but didn't attent his ceremony.
    On the UI, in the job part, you can see he graduated with a B-, it says it all, the uni, the degree, etc.
    Now that I read about not moving the sim until you find them the job I'm scared to go to my other households.
    I had 4 Sims graduate together and then sent them to separate lots back in Windenburg. I fear now none of them will get any benefit whatsoever from their university diplomas...
    If this is a bug, I hope it's fixed soon because and if it's a feature I hope they reconsider. I guess it's a bug because it makes no sense that your diploma is not valid unless you get the job straight away and from the lot you graduated from.
  • KatasticKatastic Posts: 1 New Member
    I had the same problem. My Sims met in College. I had my active sim get a job and then his wife moved in. She has a B- and is not receiving any of the bonuses. Nothing was listed separately in find a job either. I had to use cheats. I'll try again in a sim week to see if she can fully benefit from her degree in computer science. This is annoying.
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    Yes they have some polishing to do, especially considering they force some sims like the merfolk to become students, in addition to their playable premades. Even if all finish with the default B-, they should still be able to reap the fruit of their university labor.
  • LehmanLegacyLehmanLegacy Posts: 176 Member
    So it was pretty easy for me to navigate through, but for any Sims that complete Distinguished Degrees their “boosted career starts” will appear as a seperate job they can apply for when you are looking at the job page.

So say you had a Sim complete the Fine Arts DD, and they were going to be Master of the Real, there will be a second widget underneath the Painter Career specifically titled Master of The Real and will have a bolded descriptor explaining that this job is a result of the Distinguished Degree.

Hope this helps everyone! 😌
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    My surgeon (already a surgeon before uni), attended university (biology DD), while still working as a surgeon (I took a lot of vacation days to manage lol). He was making 240$/HR before he graduated.

When he graduated ("A-" gpa, w/o honors) he was still working the same surgeon position, but I noticed his pay automatically increased to 300$/HR. He also got a picture of himself in his graduation robes and a diploma; similar to his diploma from GTW when he became an RN.
  • DURHAMDJDURHAMDJ Posts: 1 New Member
    This is really annoying. It’s definitely a glitch.

For this to not work really makes this overwhelmingly unenjoyable. I’ve spent a lot of time creating sims with rich histories and family trees and now a whole generation of my sims have college degrees and are starting at level 1.

I want to break my computer right now. Sims 4 has been such a massive failure from sims 3 it’s just embarrassing.