Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are You Making Self-Imposed Restrictions?

2...Next

Comments

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    Other
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I wasn't planning on this but after reading this post I kind of like the idea for my played households. I am however happy this is not forced into gameplay because I will still use any job for the neighbours and relatives I create for my played households.

For played households I will make 3 categories
    - require the specific degree : doctors, scientists, lawyers, engineers ...
    - require any degree : education, economics, astronaut...
    - no degree required : florist, style influencer, entertainer, actor, mixologist ...

I will try to make a complete list by the time I get my hands on Discover University, probably around Christmas.

As long as you keep in mind that the terms and workload could be a bit too tedious or take an extra long time depending on how many Sims you have going to Uni at any given time. That's why I voted for them to have any route they want to take for any career. You'll see what I mean when you get the actual game. Now, It would be great if they allowed for Sims to go to at least some classes on their own when not being played! Or get some required classwork done.

I actually like the idea of university being challenging. I will probably be sending only one or two sims at a time to university.
    I don't do big rotational saves, just one or two played households in a save. So I guess I will manage. As for all the other sims in my save (unplayed neighbours, friends, relatives,...) I will just pretend they have the appropriate degree.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    Other
    I don't have this pack quite yet, but previously I set a line for level 5 of most careers. Sims having a job better than level 5 would need to be rich or smart or whatever. Say, I have a DNA string for all my sims showing how intellectual they are, and those in the "dumb" group would not be allowed to climb very high ;)

With Uni I will probably add that levels 6-10 requires a graduation. Might need to make exceptions for those already having a higher ranked job, I can't find time to educate all my existing 230+ sims... so this will be from now on.

Uni graduation will also give a few extra points come my next big election for the Region 12 Council. It will still be possible for jusrt anyone to become a councilor, but a grad will give a benefit, as lots of other qualifications already do.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • BlueSargent300BlueSargent300 Posts: 24 Member
    I don't know yet
    I actually hadn't considered doing that before, but I think I might once I download the pack and have time to check it out a bit. I was wondering whether or not I wanted to do get the pack now or wait. However, after reading all these posts and comments about it, I think I have to!
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Yes, I have an idea or list of specific jobs they will have to go to uni for
    With a lot of the careers I basically promised myself my sims will ONLY be able to get certain careers unless they went to Uni.

Jobs, odd jobs and freelancing is completely fine to make money until they make enough to go to Uni or just making it inbetwewen. Had my sim move into an apartment since she definitely didn't have enough for a home yet. (Had to removed that 20K the game gives her when removed from the household)
    5vJrxmT.png
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    No, my sims can have whatever jobs they want regardless of uni
    I wasn't planning on this but after reading this post I kind of like the idea for my played households. I am however happy this is not forced into gameplay because I will still use any job for the neighbours and relatives I create for my played households.

For played households I will make 3 categories
    - require the specific degree : doctors, scientists, lawyers, engineers ...
    - require any degree : education, economics, astronaut...
    - no degree required : florist, style influencer, entertainer, actor, mixologist ...

I will try to make a complete list by the time I get my hands on Discover University, probably around Christmas.

As long as you keep in mind that the terms and workload could be a bit too tedious or take an extra long time depending on how many Sims you have going to Uni at any given time. That's why I voted for them to have any route they want to take for any career. You'll see what I mean when you get the actual game. Now, It would be great if they allowed for Sims to go to at least some classes on their own when not being played! Or get some required classwork done.

I actually like the idea of university being challenging. I will probably be sending only one or two sims at a time to university.
    I don't do big rotational saves, just one or two played households in a save. So I guess I will manage. As for all the other sims in my save (unplayed neighbours, friends, relatives,...) I will just pretend they have the appropriate degree.

Oh, I'm sure you do. The point I was making is that you might want to careful of how many Sims you send because of the workload (not that it was challenge, just tedious, ex. redundant) and it sounds like you are taking my advice. So happy gaming!
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    I still don't own the pack and feel like dying, but as my vote option suggests, I've got a general idea of what jobs I'll almost never touch until my Sims get the "required" degree for them. Other than that, it will depend on the save file and if I want to make my Sims rich or not.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I don't know yet
    I don't know yet. I don't have the expansion yet because I refused to pay 40 bucks because they did not think about rotational players when making the game. I will be getting it mainly for the hairs and a few other things I want.

Anyway, I was thinking about possibly restricting Engineer, Lawyer, Education, Doctor, Scientist and Astronaut. The rest of the careers can be done without Uni. This all depends on whether or not I can figure out a way to make Uni work with my rotation.
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    I don't know yet
    I'm not sure as I've not really played with the idea yet.

I can imagine some jobs would require a degree, especially a doctor. In many others though, I think you can just climb the ladder with experience.
    giphy.gif
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Yes, my sims will only be allowed part-time roles unless they attend uni
    And whaddya know? Thanks to mods, my sim got pregnant with quadruplets, and neither she nor her partner have gone to university! :s
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    There's degrees & courses that aren't specific to a certain career which I like.
  • AyrthwilAyrthwil Posts: 59 Member
    I confess that I'm using a mod that slightly restricts careers and forces me to get a degree because I hated the way expansion works. So at least I force myself to go study. :D
  • vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Other
    I probably won't lock entire careers for university as a lot of the careers have entry level jobs that you wouldn't necessarily need a degree for. However, I'll probably lock levels of careers for if the Sim has a degree or not. For example if my Sim wants to become an astronaut or higher I'd force them to have a degree to get to that level but I'd let them become a lower level (Module Cleaner, Technician, etc.) without a degree. If that makes sense.
  • LadyMeldaLadyMelda Posts: 111 Member
    I've imposed some new rules, but I haven't set anything in stone.
  • LehmanLegacyLehmanLegacy Posts: 176 Member
    I personally think it would be a neat idea to set a guide for my Sims on what fields they could go into based on their education but I know I won’t stick to it if I feel strongly about a particular career for a sim.

From personal experience you don’t necessarily need to go to university to get where you want to be, there’s always alternate routes, so my Sims may also adopt this mentality too. That being said, I am still going to have a my Legacy family expect all their offspring to attend university because it will be great to have all the cousins attend uni together.
  • SnowWolf58SnowWolf58 Posts: 382 Member
    Other
    None of my sims work -- ever. However, I do like having college educated sims -- so many of them will go and earn a college degree just for the status of being a college graduate. :)
    Ryzen 1700X • 16GB • RX 580

INFJ -A/-T
  • ArialisimsArialisims Posts: 120 Member
    I don't know yet
    I hadnt thought of it before reading this but it sounds interesting and more realistic. I'll probably do it with main save file, I like the idea.
    VbXPSzu.png
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited November 2019
    Other
    Most if not all of my sims will go through University.
    I am more bothered by the lack of additional traits that I expected to be rewarded like past University expansions.

I am now thinking about putting restrictions on traits my sims earn up to becoming a young adult.
    One trait will be their core personality trait that will be with them for most of their life.
    Another trait will be a temporary trait that leans towards immaturity. And the third trait might be be a negative trait. It will be temporary as well.

Upon graduating University my sims will be rewarded with 1-3 aspiration reward traits.
    These traits will be from aspirations that I don't plan on playing for my sims, but would like the reward trait.
    I will simply cheat through the aspiration tasks. The reward points earned will be used to buy potions to give my sims a set of new traits that best reflect their journey through life thus far.

This way I can have some growth and development of sim personalities with University being the catalyst for personal development.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I can't imagine doing so. Be rather redundant as most of my sims will probably be getting degrees anyway, as University is required in my game (when available) so they will all have access to every job anyway.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Other
    I downloaded Zero's mod that makes it so careers require a degree for promotions. To me it seems more realistic that some careers would require higher education in order to progress and do better in them.