Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Once again Mods impressing me...(Kids doing magic,cooking, riding bikes)

Look at this mod, kids can do magic, ride bikes, gardening etc.

Once again the mods picking up where the team slacks off...

https://youtu.be/jsKsSgYqOuc

Now that this has been done, please team tell me again why this couldn't be done?!

Comments

• LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    Yoga seems like a odd thing for kids to do. Much as I like mods the animations are always pretty janky when the skeleton stretches. Can see why a few skills are locked out for kids, but it's always been like that with children being locked out of majority of things throughout sims games anyway. Nothing new.

Not like it can't be done it just 'hasn't' been done. Gonna wait til they definitely have more children sized bicycles and would like to see that easy bake oven item for kids return from S2. Always really liked that.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Now that this has been done, please team tell me again why this couldn't be done?!
    Because a mod is acceptable with wonky animations made for the adult skeleton, but official gameplay would need new animations (aswell as kid sized objects like wands and bikes), and that's where they most like to cut corners.
    Or everyone in the dev team has the "hates children" trait.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited November 2019

How about watch the whole video, then ask again? Not that it couldn't be done, anyway, but the official team would need more resources and time to do it right. As much as I want kids to ride bikes, I don't want that buggy mess of a mod in my game. I really detest the stretching bug...
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »

How about watch the whole video, then ask again? Not that it couldn't be done, anyway, but the official team would need more resources and time to do it right. As much as I want kids to ride bikes, I don't want that buggy mess of a mod in my game. I really detest the stretching bug...

still it should have been included in the first place...I refuse to believe the excuses they give...there is NO reason why kids can't do these things...at least ride bikes and do magic if not anything else...
    edited November 2019

still it should have been included in the first place...I refuse to believe the excuses they give...there is NO reason why kids can't do these things...at least ride bikes and do magic if not anything else...

There's always something that somebody feels 'should have been included in the first place.' This is a University pack. They chose to focus on teen thru elders since they are the right age to attend Uni, and are also the same size and share the same animations. Kids are not.

Now, the developers are aware that we also want kids to ride bikes. So either deal with the buggy mod or be patient and wait for EA to add kids riding bikes.

There's always something that somebody feels 'should have been included in the first place.' This is a University pack. They chose to focus on teen thru elders since they are the right age to attend Uni, and are also the same size and share the same animations. Not kids.

Now, the developers are aware that we also want kids to ride bikes. So either deal with the buggy mod or be patient and wait for the official feature to be implemented.
    I am not talking about University, I mean the whole game...Magic everything...not just university.
    Even with magic, that was a game pack, not an expansion pack. Game packs are smaller in scope and have a smaller budget so I was not suprised that kids couldn't do magic. I'm sure that kids would have been included if it were an expansion. However, just because a feature wasn't included in a pack doesn't mean it won't appear in the future. Maybe they'll change it with enough complaints.
    Even with magic, that was a game pack, not an expansion pack. Game packs are smaller in scope and have a smaller budget so I was not suprised that kids couldn't do magic. I'm sure that kids would have been included if it were an expansion. However, just because a feature wasn't included in a pack doesn't mean it won't appear in the future. Maybe they'll change it with enough complaints.

...Parenthood was a gamepack too?
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I actually feel like my mod folder is about to explode especially since RoM and Univerity released.
    edited November 2019

...Parenthood was a gamepack too?

Yes. Except Parenthood actually focuses on toddlers, kids, and teens. There's still so much more that can be added for kids, though. EA did a poll on Twitter about life stages and although teens won, all life stages will improve over time.

• FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    I’m glad that others can find enjoyment in those mods, but i personally hate the stretching, weird animations and overall wonkiness, plus i wouldn’t use most of the features anyways.

The only thing i wish kids could do is riding bikes, but it’s not really a big loss for me.
    Star Wind Flower Sun
    Faberries wrote: »
    I’m glad that others can find enjoyment in those mods, but i personally hate the stretching, weird animations and overall wonkiness, plus i wouldn’t use most of the features anyways.

The only thing i wish kids could do is riding bikes, but it’s not really a big loss for me.

Yep. I almost downloaded the bike riding part of the mod, but I just can't deal with how bad it looks. I can wait for EA, lol.
  • HayleeSimsHayleeSims Posts: 124 Member
    Whoever did the mod for kids to do magic did a great job cause the animations are flawless. It's quite annoying when modders offer better content for free while the Sims 4 offer lackluster content for $40.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member

Out of curiosity, have you ever worked with posing 3d figures in Poser or Daz Studio, or Maya, or Blender? I work in Daz Studio all the time, and even for still images using canned poses, it can take forever to get it right as I adjust for the various positions. And from what I can tell, posing with Poser or Daz figures appears to be easier than with Sims figures.

Animations are even more time consuming and fiddly, as you need to eliminate (or at least minimize) clipping, and try to get everything to flow as smoothly as possible from one keyframe in the animation to the next.

Despite the excellent work done in these mods, the animation issues in each example aren't just "a bit of stretching" - things are out of place in their hands, there are various places where they hover and float without that being the intention, and bunches of other minor issues that wouldn't fly if we were to get them from Maxis, but we're willing to let slide from a modder doing it for free.

I want more stuff for kids too. And these are fine looking mods. But this wasn't a simple fix, and, with the arguable exceptions of magic and gardening, still a fairly glitchy one. Maxis simply had other priorities for their resources. An argument can be made if those other priorities were worth it or not - though I believe that answer is in the eye of the individual simmer - but if these had been included, what would you have cut? Because something would have had to go. Possibly a lot of somethings. Likely something else that you would then feel "should have been included from the start" if it were to suddenly go missing for these animations.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Gardening, guitar, wellness, fitness and cooking are the ones I want in my game. The animation issues with those five don't seem as severe as with the bikes and ping pong. And I can overlook a couple of funky animations if that means my Sim kids have more to do, and skills to level up. Being a scout is fine, but the kiddos need more to do that will have an impact on them later when they age up to a YA. Having a certain kiddo max out his gradening skill in his teens rather than as an adult, would make life for him much easier, and would add a lot to his storyline. The same goes for the fitness and cooking skills. With this mod my Sim kids would have a goal and his own storyline from early childhood, rather than rushing him to grow up so his story can begin. Sim kids with their own little gardens, kids fixing meals for the family because Mom and Dad both work. A kid who loves soccer can work on his fitness and be ready to join the pro teams as soon as he graduates from high school. And if those skills are maxed out, promotions will happen a lot more quickly. Going into a career won't seem so grindy if all he has to do is a small task after work every day. Until Maxis finds a way to change things for the kids, I will happily use mods like this that adds more of what I want in my game. And thank you @KaeChan2089 for taking the time to post that video.
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    Gardening, guitar, wellness, fitness and cooking are the ones I want in my game. The animation issues with those five don't seem as severe as with the bikes and ping pong. And I can overlook a couple of funky animations if that means my Sim kids have more to do, and skills to level up. Being a scout is fine, but the kiddos need more to do that will have an impact on them later when they age up to a YA. Having a certain kiddo max out his gradening skill in his teens rather than as an adult, would make life for him much easier, and would add a lot to his storyline. The same goes for the fitness and cooking skills. With this mod my Sim kids would have a goal and his own storyline from early childhood, rather than rushing him to grow up so his story can begin. Sim kids with their own little gardens, kids fixing meals for the family because Mom and Dad both work. A kid who loves soccer can work on his fitness and be ready to join the pro teams as soon as he graduates from high school. And if those skills are maxed out, promotions will happen a lot more quickly. Going into a career won't seem so grindy if all he has to do is a small task after work every day. Until Maxis finds a way to change things for the kids, I will happily use mods like this that adds more of what I want in my game. And thank you @KaeChan2089 for taking the time to post that video.

You're so welcome <3