Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Now I'm Angry!!!

Comments

• AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    LDraconis wrote: »
    Aericia wrote: »

I had the same problem.
    If You send term paper or presentation before all classes is over, You will get bad notes, because its the end of this subject. So, after You send it ale Your classes and homeworks will be useless.

First - do homeworks, then study before all classes till You get blue moodlet „I know everything” or something like that (I don’t know but it might be useful), ask professors about Your notes (You can made friends with them and in the end ask for better notes - it works!) and THEN turn back excellent term paper or/and presentation!

Another tip: be careful, if Your Sim be late with presentation (till 4.30pm!) - for example walk too slow and arrived after 4.30pm - it will be marked as „done” but You do not get the points!

I think that people just start with presentation and the term paper because You can do it any time, but this is a huge mistake! The devs do not leave us clear info what should be done and when, so we must discover this by ourselves. :/

I do my papers or presentations just before the final class. After the final class isn't it too late? And yes, make sure you are in time and leave enough time, i.e. do not be doing your presentation so late that you miss the final class or worse, the final exam for a different class (although that should be pretty obvious advice :) )

And that was a mistake. You should do it in the end, because this will end all subject. After You turn back Your works You can’t study this subject and ask professors for info about Your notes. It’s done. :(
    It’s ok after the final class. It is something like an exam.
    Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl
  • LDraconisLDraconis Posts: 35 Member

I had the same problem.
    If You send term paper or presentation before all classes is over, You will get bad notes, because its the end of this subject. So, after You send it ale Your classes and homeworks will be useless.

First - do homeworks, then study before all classes till You get blue moodlet „I know everything” or something like that (I don’t know but it might be useful), ask professors about Your notes (You can made friends with them and in the end ask for better notes - it works!) and THEN turn back excellent term paper or/and presentation!

Another tip: be careful, if Your Sim be late with presentation (till 4.30pm!) - for example walk too slow and arrived after 4.30pm - it will be marked as „done” but You do not get the points!

I think that people just start with presentation and the term paper because You can do it any time, but this is a huge mistake! The devs do not leave us clear info what should be done and when, so we must discover this by ourselves. :/

I do my papers or presentations just before the final class. After the final class isn't it too late? And yes, make sure you are in time and leave enough time, i.e. do not be doing your presentation so late that you miss the final class or worse, the final exam for a different class (although that should be pretty obvious advice :) )

And that was a mistake. You should do it in the end, because this will end all subject. After You turn back Your works You can’t study this subject and ask professors for info about Your notes. It’s done. :(

But so far it has never ended the subject for me. If it ended the subject then the final class would not be available, yet it always has been. And so far I have had all A+'s, which seems unlikely if the final class was still available but was treated as a 'did not attend.'
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member

I had the same problem.

But so far it has never ended the subject for me. If it ended the subject then the final class would not be available, yet it always has been. And so far I have had all A+'s, which seems unlikely if the final class was still available but was treated as a 'did not attend.'

Same here - my Sim does his term papers and presentations before the first class, works them over until they are 'outstanding' and then turns them in. He does all his homework, goes to every class (I didn't know about the 'take notes' option, so he normally just attended 'normally'), and studies until he gets the 'confident' moodlet. He's had an A+ in every class, so far.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    Sunirose wrote: »
    For the record, I haven't used any University cheats or mods. And my sims are living off campus, so they leave the lot for every class. I don't know how much more thorough you can be than that.

I just meant the different ways you can cheat at college (plagiarize a paper, cheat on exam, etc) that are built into the game, not cheat codes or anything. I just almost hit one yesterday. Thought maybe you can get caught and lose grades.
    edited November 2019
    Hmmm, I don’t know really. When I send my term paper the option on computer or the prsychology book „learn” was „grey” and I can’t click on them. I understand, that was the reason of my bad notes... Now I do term papers and presentations after all my classes and the notes are A+... (in Polish version it’s 6). Now I don’t know. This can’t be random!
    Fun fact - my friend told me, that she separated two Sims students. She played one of them in the term and the second one was a NPC student and stay at home with animals. And the playable Sim had good but not the best notes and the NPC... all perfect, best notes. :disappointed:
    Random or bugged? :/
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member

I had the same problem.

Same here - my Sim does his term papers and presentations before the first class, works them over until they are 'outstanding' and then turns them in. He does all his homework, goes to every class (I didn't know about the 'take notes' option, so he normally just attended 'normally'), and studies until he gets the 'confident' moodlet. He's had an A+ in every class, so far.

This has to be a bug with you guys. I am playing a new game, with no mods (but buttload of cc though) and I have never waited with turning in either term papers or held a presentation until last day. When the term papers and presentations are of highest quality they get turned in/presented immediatly as possible. Even on the 1st day of term (monday) as I have sometimes finished at least one term paper or a presentation over the weekend before terms start.

Term papers and presentations that are turned in on wednesday or early thursday, is to me LATE. My Sims have managed to go to class for the rest of the term and finished with A+. I also rarely never have them study at all.

Just finish their homework and make sure they go to class and either take notes or listen attentively. At middle of term (wednesday or thursday) I have my Sims email their professors in each course and I generally find out that they are on a good way to get good grades.

When their graduation is near, I do have them study a bit to get skill increase as I know now that having incrementally increased skills are very important and I have gotten a feedback from the professors' email that my Sim(s) have to study more, especially in the last 2 terms, which I do and that helps.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Glad to see so many helpful discussions on how to handle this issue.

And astonished that some people seem to think that the University pack is there to build skills for your Sims. If that were true, then there would be no point at all in buying a "college experience" because the actual skills can be built without all that expense and time spent, far better, by simply skipping it. But the fantasy, rather than the reality, is why we love TheSims franchise. So the bubble is safe from puncture, in the game: college can be just for the fun experience, and your Sims won't suffer the crushing realities that having a $100,000 mortgage on their future before they even get a job, represents.

There seem to be two main competing modern canon for the purpose of college: That of Learning For Its Own Sake, and the newer College As Work Certificate.

The first definition was always limited to the social elite, because although luminaries are born in every social class, only the elite can afford, and afford leisure for, the making of their potential in an open-ended sense. Therefore the potential of the majority of born human luminaries never gets fulfilled, due to social class striations that persist and are protected and maintained by the existing structure.

The second competing canon, sprang from a more 20th-century version of the older canon, in which the social and economic advantage of a degree was seen as a limitless resource rather than part of a closed system. From that point of view, give everyone a degree, and suddenly everyone has the advantages of a degree! Simple minds thought that would be a solution to social inequality. But when everyone has one, the value of one drops precipitously. The more sinister problem with this is that the years spent (arguably the most energetic and potentially productive years of life, both in raw physical ability to do work, and in intellectual productivity) cannot be recovered, and the decades of debt incurred in most cases, drags down the social and economic stability of the degree-holder. Throw in the widespread human desire to have and raise their own children at some point, and you have a trainwreck in slow motion playing out across several generations, in which quality of life for everyone involved, tanks.

There are still very sound justifications for college degrees for many professions: If you plan to become a pharmacologist, you need a deep understanding of organic chemistry, IUPAC nomenclature, biochem, etc. and therefore a degree, or hypothetically, an alternative way to demonstrate having mastered the same material.

Career instability threatens even this model, however, if lateral career moves (that come with their own ongoing and increasing "continuing education" requirements) become more and more likely to be necessary. Having to be flexible and credentialed for lateral moves many times in your working life, erodes the safety of the vertically invested career path.

New degree programs created just to turn more jobs into things that require a degree, and the general deflation of a degree's value respective to jobs, is adverse to social equity and economic stability. That's a different subject, and so far, most people are still drinking the kool-aide on that one.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    I've been sticking with two classes per term for my family of four sims at college, and actually do homework for both of their classes on Saturday to start the term. Then I do any term papers and presentations on Sunday, and turn them in asap. It doesn't end anything; all options are still there. The simplest way I've found to keep track of homework is to just have them do it for the class they just came home from right away. Other than lateness from the buggy go to class early, this all seems to work pretty well.
  • kusurusukusurusu Posts: 971 Member
    Hmmm, I don’t know really. When I send my term paper the option on computer or the prsychology book „learn” was „grey” and I can’t click on them. I understand, that was the reason of my bad notes... Now I do term papers and presentations after all my classes and the notes are A+... (in Polish version it’s 6). Now I don’t know. This can’t be random!
    Fun fact - my friend told me, that she separated two Sims students. She played one of them in the term and the second one was a NPC student and stay at home with animals. And the playable Sim had good but not the best notes and the NPC... all perfect, best notes. :disappointed:

What tooltip do you get when hovering over the greyed out ineraction? Is your sim in a bad mood or does it tell they've completed the course?
    My SuperSim Collection: Rosetta Stone · Sona Ali
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    crinrict wrote: »
    There does seem to be a bug involved with the term papers not counting properly as they should: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-DU-Bad-grades-despite-sending-in-term-paper-not-recognized/m-p/8436417#M110137

Thats good to know but my sim already failed baking when I turned everything in for her.:joy:
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
    kusurusu wrote: »

What tooltip do you get when hovering over the greyed out ineraction? Is your sim in a bad mood or does it tell they've completed the course?

They are focused because I made them „home club” with focus moodlet. They are happy because they drinking magic potions from RoM (one of my Sims is skilled mage and I made over 200 potions).

The tooltip was something like „you finished the course” but I’m not sure. I will try to find in my old saves and maybe present a screen. :(

Maybe there is bug - sometimes putting a term paper automatically ends the course, even if you can then normally go to class and do homework?
  • SuniroseSunirose Posts: 460 Member
    First, my apologies for being so critical of the Sims 4 Devs. I reacted out of, well, anger. I do believe they try their best and they indeed deserve much credit for the amazing sims 4 game. I admit sometimes i'm in awe of some of the things I observe in game and think of the amazing creativity and talent of the sims 4 Devs.

To recap some things, my sims attend all classes, or at least I assume they're attending classes. They do all homework assignments. They go to class with all needs fulfilled. They also go to class with focus mood. They do all their projects. I noticed some people say don't do the projects until the very end of the semester, which I don't get why it would make a difference when you send in your project, as long as it's done. Because I always do the projects at the beginning and yes, then I submit them. Also, their research and debate skills are maxed.

In reflecting on the suggestions you all have made, I thought about what might have triggered these failed grades and probation. I don't know if this is the reason for the situation, but I did rotate to another family on the weekend that there were no classes for my University sims. When I returned to my Uni sims, in time for class on Monday morning, the messages appeared that they failed their classes and were put on probation.

Regarding the ping pong table, my sims will just stand in front of it for quite awhile, waiting for another sim to join, which most times never shows up and then messages appear saying the ping pong session was cut short due to lack of participation. And the ping pong drinking game just seems rather "lackluster". Also, I don't get what the point of a keg drink is. It just seems to be the same effect you get from a bar drink, which is a little moodlet.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Have you checked in with the professors during office hours? I think that's also part of the grade or attendance or general performance that helps.

I've never had to do that. I think it's the same as checking your progress by phone or computer. Shouldn't affect your grade, it only gives you an idea what your grades are.
    edited November 2019

You never start new sims? Or only start new sims with maxed everything?

I start new sims but don't play them. Most of the sims I play were started near the beginning of the sims 4, almost 5 years old.

But since University, I've been preparing to start playing new sims.

I had the same problem.

I don't believe this is true. I often turn in my papers and presentations early. I've never noticed any issues with it ending the class.
    edited November 2019
    Ok, I can’t find a proper save (maybe I just do not save it and leave without save) but I just wrote a term paper and turned it back in the first day of my course. And I have all oportunities on my computer now... so, maybe it is a bug.
    Very sorry guys if my advice was useless. I just tried my best because since I started play this way (turn back my works just before end of the semester) my notes are excellent, so I realized, that this was a reason. :(
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited November 2019
    @Sunirose - I would definitely attribute the failure to the act of rotational play during the term. This is unfortunate because it sounds like they met all their obligations and the skill levels sound like they were more than high enough since they were maxed. Thank you for mentioning this because I did wonder what would happen during rotational play under the most perfect circumstances. I wish the developers would rethink this. It seems the only way around it, and still play rotationally, is to put sims through 1 term at a time and not enroll them immediately, then play a different household, then return and enroll the student again. That’s not very intuitive for the many players who love to play rotationally and a lot of time and effort will be wasted, with bitterness felt towards the heavy handedness of how this is dealt with. I don’t blame you for getting angry. Hopefully you can revert back to a previous version of your save and finish the term before you rotated away.
    edited November 2019
    babajayne wrote: »
    @Sunirose - I would definitely attribute the failure to the act of rotational play during the term. This is unfortunate because it sounds like they met all their obligations and the skill levels sound like they were more than high enough since they were maxed. Thank you for mentioning this because I did wonder what would happen during rotational play under the most perfect circumstances. I wish the developers would rethink this. It seems the only way around it, and still play rotationally, is to put sims through 1 term at a time and not enroll them immediately, then play a different household, then return and enroll the student again. That’s not very intuitive for the many players who love to play rotationally and a lot of time and effort will be wasted, with bitterness felt towards the heavy handedness of how this is dealt with. I don’t blame you for getting angry. Hopefully you can revert back to a previous version of your save and finish the term before you rotated away.

I play rotationally and the only time my sim got bad grades was when I did not complete the homework and projects throughout the week. I've discovered that it's safe to switch to another family after all that is done and only the finals remain. I can also switch repeatedly between class time, coming back only to do the assignments.

I'm starting to wonder if some of those failing are only completing the homework once in each class? Homework resets and has to be completed again before each class session.

And everyone keeps mentioning skill levels, which may help performance, but your sim continuously learns these skills when going to class, studying and doing homework. So if you take a sim to Uni with zero skills, they will graduate with new skills.
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 997 Member
    My sims have only had problems with elective courses. They do all their homework and whatever associated stuff comes with it, upgrading their term papers and presentations until they are outstanding level and they only need to do this once. They hand the presentations in when ready and it usually involves a trip to campus. They press the submit button for the term paper and they don't rotate away during the term. They go to classes on time but they don't bother asking the profs or using the tool tips or doing extra studying. They get consistent A+ grades for all their courses except for the two sims that took elective classes they only got a C. I think the elective classes are bugged.
    edited November 2019
    rudolpha wrote: »
    My sims have only had problems with elective courses. They do all their homework and whatever associated stuff comes with it, upgrading their term papers and presentations until they are outstanding level and they only need to do this once. They hand the presentations in when ready and it usually involves a trip to campus. They press the submit button for the term paper and they don't rotate away during the term. They go to classes on time but they don't bother asking the profs or using the tool tips or doing extra studying. They get consistent A+ grades for all their courses except for the two sims that took elective classes they only got a C. I think the elective classes are bugged.

I was referring specifically to the homework needing to be done more than once, not term papers or presentations. Do you also complete homework just once per class? It's probably still possible to pass even then.

I do feel like I've had more trouble with those electives classes. Though I still usually manage to get all As.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »

I was referring specifically to the homework needing to be done more than once, not term papers or presentations. Do you also complete homework just once per class? It's probably still possible to pass even then.

I do feel like I've had more trouble with those electives classes. Though I still usually manage to get all As.
    How tips because my sim failed baking she turned in everything. Then she had to take one more class to graduate because she failed baking. :joy:

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • LDraconisLDraconis Posts: 35 Member

What are their skill levels with the electives? Similar or lower?
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 997 Member
    The skill levels are identical - it was the same two students who got the C's in the same term they got A+ for all the major classes. As far as homework goes since I play the full term, I always do homework more than once, because it seems you get homework to start off and after each class. Didn't count the times perhaps about 3?
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    @IceyJ - I’ve seen other simmers say they’ve done all the homework, classes, paper/presentation/final and still didn’t ace the class, and sometimes did poorly. It was found to be because the skills weren’t high enough. I’ve played through the same scenario and improving the skill related to that class gave me better results than relying on all the rest of the stuff (I had to quit without saving and redid the end part of the term to come to this conclusion). It’d be nice if the UI indicated what skill level they’re expecting for each course. It definitely matters less in the beginning classes, and the further they advance at uni, it’s a higher skill that will be required.
    I also had similar (good) results that you describe when rotating sims at uni during their term, but after the first term I wasn’t so lucky. But I just feel better when I know I’m in control.
    babajayne wrote: »

It's interesting that you should mention putting sims through 1 term at a time. Because when I was playing one sim and enrolled him in one course at a time, and then rotated on weekends, I had no problems. It's when I had two sims and enrolled both of them in 4 courses in one week, then rotated to another household on the weekend, that this thing happened where they got F grades and put on probation.