Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University - things I've noticed, anyone else too?

Hey guys,

I got university, and have put one of my Sims through to graduation. Here are some things I noticed, just wondered whether they were happening for anyone else too?

So my Sims Mum kept appearing. At first it seemed like she would turn up for dorm parties, but then I noticed that sometimes she was just stood by the elevator for the dorm. This happened a lot. Why would your Mum just randomly show up at your dorm all the time? I'm wondering whether because my Sim was good friends with her, they treat that friendship as someone you'd like to see. But this is so unrealistic. You go to university, your parents don't randomly show up all the time. Really, no one should show up without you inviting them. That's the point of staying on campus and moving out. You get to control who you see.

I took too many classes - yep! My first semester I took all the classes, and there was hardly time to breath. In fact I found my first go with university a bit boring. I wanted my Sim to do really well. So I got him to study all the time and complete all the work. But even though he did that, one semester he got some C grades. Which meant he finished on an A- overall. But to get that he pretty much did nothing but work. There wasn't enough time for him to do anything else. I only found out how to join the debate club in his last semester. He never had a party, never did a keg stand, and I also wanted him to meet a girlfriend too, which he just managed to do at last minute. Which leads to......

Woohoo......there were no options for him to woohoo with his new girlfriend. No option for the bed and the showers in the dorm were too open. Yeah, you're not kidding too open, where are the shower curtains? Especially for a mixed dorm. Sometimes he'd get the embarrassed moodlet from showering, and I'm not surprised. I've never been to US dorm, but do they really have open mixed showers like that? This is university, you're on your own as a young adult, maybe for the first time. Surely there should have been more options for woohoo, or even making out. Maybe an option in your empty dorm room would be to lock the door for woohoo, or have a room mate walk in and then get really embarrassed.

So my Sim graduated. He's jumped forward in the attorney career but has to do a work from home assignment which is to guest lecture in law at university. It say's I can visit university and click on a classroom or do the task from my phone. But the only option is to visit the law class. I thought this might be it, but he's done it twice and that doesn't appear to be it. He's done it from his phone, and I got him to go in person and click on the classroom. I waited till 5pm to see whether he would have to do it within the guest lecture time, but no luck. I'm hoping the work from home assignments aren't broken like previous work from home jobs.

I did also report that when my Sim moved into his dorm, that he got bills for 3,070, which I had to cheat to pay. This seemed to only happen once luckily. But I have seen that others have reported this also.

So those are the things I've noticed so far, anyone have any others? :)

Comments

• TikaaniaTikaania Posts: 65 Member
    My sim is studying Law, which means that she is at Foxbury and she must be able to debate. But Foxbury does not have the debate guild only Britechester has. This makes no sense?
  • SparklyBeccaSparklyBecca Posts: 106 Member
    My Sim was also studying law @Tikaania but did it at Britechester. I didn't realise that teens couldn't apply for uni, because I was thinking of an 18 year old being a teen :-/ so I had plenty of time to level up his skills to get into Britechester.

That seems strange that only one university would have the debate guild. I'm guessing Foxbury isn't meant to be as 'prestigious,' but surely they could have a debate club if they have a law degree? The different university's could then debate each other and have contests.

I think you can still learn the debate skill without actually debating, just by reading the textbooks and studying. But it seems a bit unfair to not also have the option to debate other people. My Sim didn't actually join the debate guild till his last semester, as I hadn't worked out you could. But he was still able to get debate experience from debating others from the lectern in the students commons. Does Foxbury have the lecterns? I haven't had a Sim attend Foxbury yet so I'm not familiar with the campus.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited November 2019
    I had the issue with Mother’s visiting all the time. Very annoying and unrealistic.

Heard about the shower issue. I never had bills.
    Post edited by MidnightAura on
    @MidnightAura I know right?! Mum, what you doing here? Seriously, go home!!!!! hahaha :#
  • TikaaniaTikaania Posts: 65 Member
    Oh no I will have to switch over to Britechester.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    @MidnightAura I know right?! Mum, what you doing here? Seriously, go home!!!!! hahaha :#

She also called my sim out every night inviting her out to parties. Not once during her university career did my sim get invited out by one of her roommates. There was no college parties at all. The organisation ones don’t count.

She also called my sim out every night inviting her out to parties. Not once during her university career did my sim get invited out by one of her roommates. There was no college parties at all. The organisation ones don’t count.

Yes, now you've said it that was true for me also. My Sims Mum would call all the time wanting my Sim to go out with her. But not once did a roommate do the same. The only people who would call would be Sims that my Sim knew before going to university. Even people he didn't know that well.

There seemed to be a couple of dorm parties when my Sim first moved in, but nothing changed about the dorm so you didn't even realise they were happening. No one did anything different. Also, why did other dorms not have dorm parties? Surely you should be invited to other parties in other dorms. Even if you didn't know the Sim hosting, it shouldn't matter. People at university just turn up to parties because there's one happening, not because they the people in the dorm.

My Sim never hosted a party because he spent so much time studying there was never any time in between classes to actually have one, not if I actually wanted my Sim to finish with decent grades. He also didn't get chance to meet many people, hardly spoke to anyone in his dorm, and didn't meet people from class.

I feel like the normal rules of the Sims shouldn't apply at university. That you should automatically meet more people without having to do a lot extra, that there should be more parties and social events without your Sim actually having to arrange them. I noticed there were some gatherings that would happen, but they were always at inconvenient times when i had to get my Sim to do two lots of homework, study, eat, shower etc

It felt like my Sim was always hungry, always dirty, always needing the toilet as well as needing to study. Then his social would be really bad, well I'm not surprised!!!!!

• sennawalessennawales Posts: 192 Member
    Did your sim give her a residence key? If so, take it away. Residence key brings sims to your sim anywhere in the world, even the GtW/GF lots when you're at work or when you're on vacation.
    sennawales wrote: »
    Did your sim give her a residence key? If so, take it away. Residence key brings sims to your sim anywhere in the world, even the GtW/GF lots when you're at work or when you're on vacation.

Nope, no keys given out. Before he moved to dorms they lived in the same house. But it was always his Mum that would show up, no one else, not even his sister.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    My Sim's parents also visit him. I don't mind it too much, I think it's actually kind of nice to have family visit. But the times that they come are so random and unusual. Like, they'll either show up early in the morning before he's even awake or going to class, or they'll come late at night when he's doing homework or getting ready to go to bed.
  • ElectraRaiElectraRai Posts: 99 Member
    For me it was suprising how much my sims put on a weight. She was eating garbage food true, but woah! Did they changed the way calories are count while using minifridge? xD
    My Sim's parents also visit him. I don't mind it too much, I think it's actually kind of nice to have family visit. But the times that they come are so random and unusual. Like, they'll either show up early in the morning before he's even awake or going to class, or they'll come late at night when he's doing homework or getting ready to go to bed.

Mum, Dad, hold up my legs whilst I do a keg stand :D
    ElectraRai wrote: »
    For me it was suprising how much my sims put on a weight. She was eating garbage food true, but woah! Did they changed the way calories are count while using minifridge? xD

Right?! I noticed that too. It happened when my Sim was showering and he had back fat! It happened so quickly. And the problem is it's so hard to get decent food there. You have to rely on either the food that Sim's leave out, which was mostly cookies (the occasional lobster thermidor, wth?!) or the mini fridge which I kept getting the unhealthy moodlet for. A food stand did appear one day at an event and they were selling salads and falafel, but why couldn't there be a permanent place we could get that. The commons only had food at certain times and I didn't want to have to send my Sim there several times a day for food because it would take so long, and also the selection was poor :/
  • Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    I put a grill in my sim's personal inventory before he enrolled in University. He's in the 4-sim dorm at Foxbury and he is able to place the grill on the lot when he wants to cook. He also brought a firepit (from Outdoor Retreat) that he can use to roast marshmallows, hotdogs, and fish. That gives him a lot more choices for food. There are also some grills by the river in Foxbury that anyone could use.

Don't forget that your sims can go to other worlds. You can buy food from bars on many community lots, including the local bar in Britechester. There are foodstands in San Myshuno (CL) and Sulani (IL) that sell a wide variety of foods. There are seasonal food booths in most of the other worlds if you have Seasons. If you buy your sims the Always Welcome reward trait, they can also cook at other houses without anyone objecting.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Carl (the Sims guide Carl) made a video in which he suggested buying seeds via the computer and eating fruit. It’s a great solution for quick food on the run without adding to any bad moodlets and it won’t make your sim gain weight.
  • SimskristaSimskrista Posts: 175 Member
    When I picked which university to attend all the degree programs were backwards. Law was at foxbury and robotics at britechester. It was odd
    babajayne wrote: »
    Carl (the Sims guide Carl) made a video in which he suggested buying seeds via the computer and eating fruit. It’s a great solution for quick food on the run without adding to any bad moodlets and it won’t make your sim gain weight.

That's a really good idea. I presume you just plant them anywhere outside?
    Sketch793 wrote: »
    I put a grill in my sim's personal inventory before he enrolled in University. He's in the 4-sim dorm at Foxbury and he is able to place the grill on the lot when he wants to cook. He also brought a firepit (from Outdoor Retreat) that he can use to roast marshmallows, hotdogs, and fish. That gives him a lot more choices for food. There are also some grills by the river in Foxbury that anyone could use.

Don't forget that your sims can go to other worlds. You can buy food from bars on many community lots, including the local bar in Britechester. There are foodstands in San Myshuno (CL) and Sulani (IL) that sell a wide variety of foods. There are seasonal food booths in most of the other worlds if you have Seasons. If you buy your sims the Always Welcome reward trait, they can also cook at other houses without anyone objecting.

Yeah, I just found it quite time consuming to visit other lots at university when trying to study and get involved with everything. Plus my Sim was ALWAYS hungry :s:D

• babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    babajayne wrote: »

That's a really good idea. I presume you just plant them anywhere outside?
    No, just eat them from inventory. There’s no difference between seeds and produce so buying “seeds” is really like buying the actual fruit/vegetable/herb. If you get flowers you can just sell those. You can buy fruit seed packets specifically, but I think you need a certain level gardening first, so a beginner is probably stuck with seasonal packets.
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    You can also make a sack lunch if you have parenthood.
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    I had the issue with Mother’s visiting all the time. Very annoying and unrealistic.

Yes, I don't have the game myself yet, but I've seen many people complaining about Sims' parents visiting the dorms all the time... Let's hope these little nuisances get fixed in an upcoming patch.

Yes, I don't have the game myself yet, but I've seen many people complaining about Sims' parents visiting the dorms all the time... Let's hope these little nuisances get fixed in an upcoming patch.

Yes, I'm hoping it gets fixed too :) I'd rather they only came if you physically invite them by phone.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,657 Member
    I found that when one active sim is on another lot, I can remotely instruct those sims left at home to build skills and even select what skill they shall work on :) I can't remember I saw that before, it's in their bottom line image, similar to telling a student in class to "take notes" etc. Makes it less troublesome going places with just one sim when you actually know the others won't waste their time.
    Simskrista wrote: »
    When I picked which university to attend all the degree programs were backwards. Law was at foxbury and robotics at britechester. It was odd

You can in fact take all 13 degrees at both universities. When accepted, in my game they first list what degrees my sim was accepted for, then they list distinguished degrees, if any at all. I normally get only 3 or 4 of the latter one, but have only played "old" sims with plenty skills this far. Maybe that lower part (DD) can be empty if you send a brand new sim with no skills?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • EdieApplebyEdieAppleby Posts: 134 Member
    Sims will go to class on time if they don't live on campus. It sometimes takes my Sim the entire class time to get to the building and then they miss the class. And bicycles make no sense at Foxbury. My solutions have been to teleport the sim or to miss the class even though my sim has an A+ average and moving on campus just ruined that, and yes, I'm just venting at this point.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited November 2019
    ElectraRai wrote: »

Quick meals were always more fattening than other types of food in the game. That's why so many students are getting fat, because ovens aren't allowed so we're left with quick meals.