Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Comments

• IzzabelleIzzabelle Posts: 153 Member
    I really appreciate the sentiment here and sincerely want to believe the team is indeed just waiting to put in content from

Starter Home Stuff, Arcade Stuff, Dangerous Stuff, and Wedding Stuff

But its been almost 2 years since Laundry Day dropped and the only thing I've seen come in has been "Off The Grid", which was actually just a losing part of Eco Living's theme. I think there might have even been an outfit from Arcade's concepts? (I don't have my sources on me atm)

I know game development takes a long time and the devs -- I think they said -- have 5ish years of content planned. So let's say Arts & Crafts wins this time around. When will we see Happy Haunts content? In 6 years? 7? And will it only be some random outfit or trait?

The optimist in me sides with believing in the Devs' good intentions. But I'm not holding my breath on seeing any content from the losing packs in this community vote when we still haven't seen losing content from the last community vote. As it stands, a vote for 1 pack is a death sentence for the other 4.
    ZU6MUcP.gif
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited November 2019
    She has good intentions, but she's just trying to keep everyone civil. As always, anything is indeed possible, but the likelihood of it actually occurring is so slim that even an eternal optimist like myself isn't going to put any of that change in my hope jar. I bought it the first time around when the dismal laundry pack won, I'm not buying that round of baloney this second time around. Actions speak louder than words, so guard your heart closely and manage your expectations appropriately.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited November 2019
    While it is nice of her to be an optimist, I think unfortunately that it is not that easy to just say "we can always add it in later" when it comes to game development. There are so many other factors involved.

But I also think they have already planned the upcoming years already (with the tight release schedule that they have they pretty much have to do it). They are most likely already working on dlc for 2020 and 2021. This community voted pack will most likely be a side project while they are working on other stuff. Which means that if they will not include any things from the community voted packs in their planned content (which is unlikely because that would add more content or remove existing content which in turn could lead to more costs in development time) then we can't really expect to see things from the packs that did not win until 2022.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    While I understand the skepticism about what Lyndsay is saying and when it'll come to happen, I'm glad she said it and I know it doesn't mean "immediately". She's also not saying that everything inevitably *will* be made eventually but if they do see interest in themes or items, they'll stay on the potential future content list.

When the Laundry Day voting was going on, they already had the upcoming 3 years planned out. So in order to include the 'losing' packs, they'd have had to either fit into those planned out (like the Off the Grid trait happened to) or reshuffle their plans. Since none of the themes have returned in this vote and we're about at the end of those 3 years, I'd say we might end up seeing those things in packs next year.
    Same with this vote. Whatever doesn't win will likely not happen anytime soon after the winning pack because of the rolling 3-year production planning.

Put another way: when they were finalizing the first community stuff pack, that's when the decision was very likely made to do another one, but it took this long to get the ball rolling on it and have time allocated to make it.
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    That's good to hear. I do feel like I want the entire Arts & Crafts list as a game pack in itself, rather than as a stuff pack.

Also, from what I've seen of the build/buy in DU, it does actually look like some of the starter home stuff - if you look at the concept art pic for it (here), the bookshelf on cinder blocks, the palette coffee table and the tall thin bookshelf I believe are all in DU. Plus all the ikea-like stuff in DU (bed, desk, shelves, etc.), I think they have actually covered a lot of that stuff that would have been in that pack, which gives me hope that they do actually listen to the community as to the what packs get voted in like second/third.
  • GeminiChickGeminiChick Posts: 16 Member
    (Please know that I am not trying to be rude or offensive. I’m just trying to be honest without sugar-coating.)

I would like to believe that these ideas circle back around, but it’s difficult considering the last few years of the game. It seem, to me, that the packs and expansions contain less and less and but still cost the same. I know it’s not the talent of the team, as the work produced is great.

I feel that the proposed Haunt pack should have been part of the ROM pack. I was surprised that ROM didn’t have tarot reading or crystal ball, etc., as these things are synonymous with magic. I wish ROM had been the expansion, a little more fleshed out with the Happy Haunts pack. Although, like IL, part of the kitchen build items are missing (I.e. matching kitchen cabinets).

Island Living felt more like a game pack, than an expansion. I like the buy/build, but I just don’t feel the gameplay is everyday. It’s more like a vacation spot, which is how I use it.

I saw in the recent update notes that the HipHop station was removed from a pack and made base game. It’s annoying that items that were pack exclusive are being removed and put as base game, with color swatches becoming the pack exclusive. It doesn’t feel like an equal exchange.

Some of the stuff proposed for the Science and Health packs should have been part of earlier packs or added as a free update to the base game. The microscope and such should have been part of University. The vegan trait and smoothie maker should have been in Spa.

I love Sims 4, don’t get me wrong, but it’s frustrating, especially with the cost of each pack staying the same, but with shrinking worlds and fewer items.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I would imagine this sentiment will probably largely apply if the vote is a close thing. For example, it's looking like Arts and Crafts and Happy Haunts are the main winners so she could be hoping to assure those who vote for each that there's still a really good chance of both happening at some point, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen straight away. It makes sense, they can't promise a thing but at least letting us know they can clearly see there are two really popular and much requested themes available, both of which would sell very well if released. a030.gif
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited November 2019
    it doesn’t mean we’d never touch ghosts again.

Oh, Ghosts GP, my little heart melted. Thanks for reassuring me, Professor Pearson.

@MissyHissy Besides the fun-tech theme, all of them I would be crazy about buying. I hope it don't just apply to the 1° and 2° place.
  • LishacakeLishacake Posts: 296 Member
    That's reassuring to hear. I really think the ideas they've suggested for these packs would be fantastic additions to the game, so I'm glad that there's a chance they'll still be added later on down the line.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    If only they said the same thing back then because arcade dangerous and wedding pack from the last community vote have been completely ignored and those packs could have added so much more than a watch and a vegan trait.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    edited November 2019
    Really great to hear, but I will also add the following as something even more important to consider than adding any more packs: please give us our game back:

1) Please give us an option to turn random townie generation off -- let us assign our own sims if we choose to. In my mind, it'd be better to have an option show up on an "empty" or unattended espresso bar, juice bar, DJ booth, etc. that allows me to assign any of my pre-made sims. The randoms just don't stop and with such an amazing clothing/CAS system already in place, you'd think we'd reap the benefits of that. Doesn't happen with the randos.

2) What is up with the special/career/locked outfits? This is my game, right? A simulation where I am the SIM GOD, correct? Do you know how many times I've gone through each sim giving them five different outfits for each of the clothing categories -- talk about a time sink! But, I figured, no big deal as when it's done, it's done. Plum, was I wrong! The first time my sim went out on a date they changed into some random outfit that was, shall we simply say, nothing like any of the ones I had assigned. Why is this type of out-of-control, take-away-power-from-the-Sim-Gods, even IN the game? Ruins what I try to do -- my plans for my game. What is the point of all those clothing categories?

2a) Slightly related, please give us the ability to copy outfits/makeup/accessories/hair/etc. between clothing categories in CAS. If this is already in place (without mods), please please someone enlighten me (many thanks in advance)!

3) Make relationship interactions meaningful. Moodlets don't cut it. Traits need to be fleshed out more to greater effect and, really, more than three would be good. Personally, I'd like to see a trait/favorites system similar to TS3. Different categories of traits could help round out the characters (though TS2 nailed it with the astrology and likes/dislikes -- every sim was actually different in that old game!). Whims are too generic (probably because the moodlet and trait system is so underdeveloped/limited. I remember actually playing according to my sims' desires/wants/fears in TS2 because each one wanted or fear different things.

Maybe all of this could come in a game pack called, "Actual Sims?"

Until the above happens, TS4 will always be a bit "empty" to me. I hope I'm the only one who feels this way though. Maybe, just maybe it's me?
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    SAEldarin wrote: »
    Really great to hear, but I will also add the following as something even more important to consider than adding any more packs: please give us our game back:

1) Please give us an option to turn random townie generation off -- let us assign our own sims if we choose to. In my mind, it'd be better to have an option show up on an "empty" or unattended espresso bar, juice bar, DJ booth, etc. that allows me to assign any of my pre-made sims. The randoms just don't stop and with such an amazing clothing/CAS system already in place, you'd think we'd reap the benefits of that. Doesn't happen with the randos.

2) What is up with the special/career/locked outfits? This is my game, right? A simulation where I am the SIM GOD, correct? Do you know how many times I've gone through each sim giving them five different outfits for each of the clothing categories -- talk about a time sink! But, I figured, no big deal as when it's done, it's done. Plum, was I wrong! The first time my sim went out on a date they changed into some random outfit that was, shall we simply say, nothing like any of the ones I had assigned. Why is this type of out-of-control, take-away-power-from-the-Sim-Gods, even IN the game? Ruins what I try to do -- my plans for my game. What is the point of all those clothing categories?

2a) Slightly related, please give us the ability to copy outfits/makeup/accessories/hair/etc. between clothing categories in CAS. If this is already in place (without mods), please please someone enlighten me (many thanks in advance)!

3) Make relationship interactions meaningful. Moodlets don't cut it. Traits need to be fleshed out more to greater effect and, really, more than three would be good. Personally, I'd like to see a trait/favorites system similar to TS3. Different categories of traits could help round out the characters (though TS2 nailed it with the astrology and likes/dislikes -- every sim was actually different in that old game!). Whims are too generic (probably because the moodlet and trait system is so underdeveloped/limited. I remember actually playing according to my sims' desires/wants/fears in TS2 because each one wanted or fear different things.

Maybe all of this could come in a game pack called, "Actual Sims?"

Until the above happens, TS4 will always be a bit "empty" to me. I hope I'm the only one who feels this way though. Maybe, just maybe it's me?

Why they need to offer more choices - I am sure it is not just you as Sims has always been about choices and now it more one directional. There are two types of artists in this game - the designers of the game and the players - but the designers seem to now just design for them selves and leave no doors of creativity for the players. That is why it feels empty to you - you have your creativity stifled because the place to be you is not fully open to you - it is blocked by the present design. They need to get back to doing both. You need the creative outlet the Sims has always provided - now it is sort of multiple choice, and none of the choices is the players. At least that is what I see.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    edited November 2019
    @Writin_Reg This makes sense. I was so reluctant to leave TS2 for TS3. TS4 took me even longer to warm up to. I remember first hearing about TS4 and how the sims were going to be full of emotion. Sounded great. But then I saw that sim's emotions would be heavily influenced from their surroundings, including down to the color of the room! No thank you. My first thoughts were that I didn't want my sim's room design to determine how I played him/her.

Quite simply, I wanted my sims to experience the game based on choices either they or I made, including their relationship to each other. Then, I heard they weren't including toddlers. I just didn't get it. By the time TS4 rolled around, the game had evolved and changed, but here was a loss -- an omission. Maybe it didn't matter to a lot of players? I truly don't get these types of decisions because it feels like a step backwards.

But, I also don't want to be so negative. That's not my intention. I'm actually hopeful from this thread and what @SimGuruLyndsay shared. I enjoy TS4 for what it is. And because of how beautiful TS4 is, going back to TS2 is like playing with cardboard cutouts. I guess after simming for so long now, a sim game that holds the best from each game while pushing boundaries for new development and improvement is what I had thought TS4 would be. Maybe someday it will be.