March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are You Making Self-Imposed Restrictions?

I hope you are all having some fun with the Uni pack.

I was going to start imposing some restrictions on jobs now that we can send our sims to university - I thought, maybe, have no sims allowed to go into the following careers at all unless they have graduated: astronaut, detective, doctor, education, engineering, law, politics, science and possibly writer.

Is anyone doing the same sort of thing? Have a vote and then (if you want to) add details of which jobs you think fit the scenario.

Are You Making Self-Imposed Restrictions? 146 votes

Yes, my sims will only be allowed part-time roles unless they attend uni
8%
youilivefor92PlayerSinger2010SageRainWillowalexandreaJnyxzagboorulesPadfootMoonyProngsCynel1AquaGamer1212Simtown15Geralt_ofRiviaTheFlyingGentleman 12 votes
Yes, I have an idea or list of specific jobs they will have to go to uni for
37%
bshag4lvalan650111IceyJCabelle1863sillehbeerjhenn14LadyMeldaSimpatsyannWritin_Regsennawalestegteg87elanorbretonIrdiwenMariefoxprice83robyngravesCeres_MeirionaSjofnMysteriousConcludegothprincess4everSimChic1 55 votes
I don't know yet
19%
Simburiankeekee53Thunderbat87SimQueenie9Paigeisin5NivyxWinterKhirinHeavensent2010taydevblueyblueskyAdria22bixtersParmaViolet87Winifred_WillowBlueSargent300AineMDianaSimsRedShoe7MHsimsFanThePinkBookGirl 29 votes
No, my sims can have whatever jobs they want regardless of uni
23%
Kita5399Mi9shaoscarBoergeAarg61cchant86Glimmer50DaemonPawsDaB1gVBabykittyjadeLissyK9Lexington1988DoloresGreyEvaliynRedDestiny92caliposscoolsim9999999McFizzleShizzleCaityCupcakes10snarklesGrumpyGlowfishNindigo 34 votes
No, I tried uni and hate it so won't be sending any more sims there
1%
SusanaLeoteDijktafone 2 votes
Other
9%
CK213vancanuckfan86LaBlue0314SimmervilleDeathCoil13RebeccaThurstonSnowWolf58EnkiSchmidtSilentKittycalaprfyBleepbloopAtreya33Evie0602Sharonia 14 votes

Comments

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    Other
    I won't lock career entry and/or advancement behind university degrees, because in doing so I would force myself into a specific gameplay over and over. That's just not my playstyle.

But in the past I have played with job shortage, trade schools and hirering interviews, so, yes, I'm open to the concept of locking jobs behind whatever walls. What I'm planning to do is demanding "some college" for certain careers. The exact number of credits required will vary, at the moment I'm thinking five.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    I have sent several sims to college and right now just concentrating on getting them the best grades so they can excel at their respective jobs. I love the conservationist degree and so my ex-mermaid will be attending to get her degree and hopefully make more at work in Sulani.

I love the idea of Psychology degree obtained by someone who is "erratic." Seems to fit! :D

In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Other
    I'm still getting through uni. I've started a couple of different times but found things to be rather...well not to my playstyle, and ended up deleting the game saves. I have since started a new game save, but this time I'm going to take things much much slower. In this game save I have saved from a previous game save the robot and added him to the household with a teen witch girl. I connected the two as brother and sister. With them, I moved them into the starter home in the new town. From there they will eventually both be attending the uni but at a much slower pace. But after they gain their deploma's, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited November 2019
    I've got a list of restricted jobs, but it depends on the household and the specific sims. I had already been using my own "college" with degree requirements I made up myself and sent a bunch of students through it, so as I go through my rotation now I'm cheating on the appropriate degree and in some cases, letting them rejoin their careers at the higher level (the reward for going through college previously was the Connections trait, even though it only bumped up to level 3 for entering careers). Fortunately, most if not all of my fake degrees line up with DU ones, and I was already using the fake degrees as gateways into specific careers, or gateways into starting at higher levels. But not all of my sims do the regular careers, nor will they all need to go to university. That's good because there's so many of them I'd be doing nothing else which would get old really quick. :D
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    Zero's Sim 4 mods has a mod that you need university degree to get promotions in certain jobs
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    Definitely doctor and scientist, probably one or two others.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    I don't know yet
    I haven't even sent anyone to university yet as I've started a new save for it and sticking all my built lots and families in using motherload and freerealestate on a lot!

I like the world though and moved a father and son into the town. That free lot can be tweeked into a two bedder with a little wall moving.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    I don't like restrictions and rules in my games. For example if I want to let my Sim become a doctor without graduating from University, that's what's going to happen. Having said that... I will most likely send almost all my young doctors to Uni.

Sometimes I will start playing with new Sims and I'm sure I don't always want to go through the whole hassle of going to University (which will be nightmare without any skills) before I can actually start playing the game that I created those Sims for. I have about 50 saves and hundreds of played Sims, I'm pretty sure I will get enough of University after a while. If I just want to have some nice and relaxing game play and put my Sims on whatever career I want to without the stress of Uni I will do it.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    edited November 2019
    I'm definitely going to start doing this. Not with all careers, but definitely ones you couldn't typically climb in real life without an education.

I can see myself maybe avoiding actively attending university for Sims that I've created and want to give a jumpstart to in order for it to make sense regarding tying in with the rest of my Sims (like Sims my own are marrying, for example) but typically in those cases I'd probably cheat them a degree so it's not like they jumped the ladder with no help.
  • sennawalessennawales Posts: 192 Member
    I think they can get into the jobs, but only at the entry levels, because interns are fine without degrees. Before they hit a branch, they can go to uni to continue.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    There are some interesting different ideas in here, thank you all for contributing.

I love having variety in my game, so there will be plenty of sims in my rotation who will have non-uni jobs too, but I like the idea of having some hard working study sims who will go to uni and get a good job at the end. Of course, there will also be some who go to uni for the social side and barely scrape through with a grade :)

Sadly, I have to put it all on hold now though as my computer blew up last night :'(:'(:'( I am hoping to be able to rescue my saves from the hard drive when I get a new one.
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    I like the idea of my sims having an office in their home with their diploma and grad pic on their office wall showing their expertise in their chosen career. Also, i'm working towards related degrees for my sims. For example....

One of my sims will be learning a degree in "Fine Arts" to be a musician. Plus, I will add to her education the "Communications" degree because it also deals with social media.

Because of my complaint about the professor" degree (see different thread) i've decided that one of my other sims will be studying "Psychology" degree to become a professor, then the "Computer Science" degree to decide ... professor of Computer Science. Teach a few days a week in the professor career, and build robots/create video games on off days for extra money. Both ideas relating to the sim's earned degrees.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    edited November 2019
    Other
    I wasn't planning on this but after reading this post I kind of like the idea for my played households. I am however happy this is not forced into gameplay because I will still use any job for the neighbours and relatives I create for my played households.

For played households I will make 3 categories
    - require the specific degree : doctors, scientists, lawyers, engineers ...
    - require any degree : education, economics, astronaut...
    - no degree required : florist, style influencer, entertainer, actor, mixologist ...

I will try to make a complete list by the time I get my hands on Discover University, probably around Christmas.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    I don't have the pack yet, but I already know I won't restrict my sims' career selection, and I'm glad that the game isn't doing it either. TS2 actually did that, and I found it ridiculous that you needed a degree to become an artist, but everyone and their mother could become a doctor or a secret agent just like that. Whether or not an individual sim goes to uni will depend entirely on them, which I think is a great way of distinguishing between them.

Someone who just wants to make robots for fun and a bit of a living will become a mechanical engineer without a degree, another engineer who is supposed to be above-average intelligent and educated will certainly get it, and the future leader of a robot empire will even graduate with honours, whereas a completely different sim might get a degree that has absolutely nothing to do with the job they'll be taking, just like in real life. Countless possibilities!
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    There are some interesting different ideas in here, thank you all for contributing.

I love having variety in my game, so there will be plenty of sims in my rotation who will have non-uni jobs too, but I like the idea of having some hard working study sims who will go to uni and get a good job at the end. Of course, there will also be some who go to uni for the social side and barely scrape through with a grade :)

Sadly, I have to put it all on hold now though as my computer blew up last night :'(:'(:'( I am hoping to be able to rescue my saves from the hard drive when I get a new one.

Noooo! I'm so sorry. :( I totally feel that loss. My harddrive destroyed itself a few years ago, lost everything on that thing entirely.

I hope you are able to rescue your saves and get a new computer soon! Best of luck.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I won’t set rules for specific jobs, mostly because Uni is difficult to handle in my rotation save. I will however make it a rule for all my legacy heirs to attend.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited November 2019
    I’m the opposite I prefer having my sims have full time jobs usually the jobs are before level 5 whilst at uni as i find it more of a challenge if they were to have a full time job. I would find the uni experience so boring if they were to have no jobs as all my sims with full time jobs have come out with at least an A- and they all have their own homes too
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Other

Hm... for me it depends more on what type of gameplay I am interested in when I am playing.

There are some careers that I have done so many time that the first few levels hold little new but I seldom let my sims get to the higher levels because I do not want them to become too rich. With Uni I thought that I would change it up a bit. The careers that I do very seldom or have not tried before will be done from level 1 and up and the ones I know well will get Uni in the beginning instead.

Also, I am going to raise the bills quite a bit. Uni costs too little but if the bills are worse there might be more monetary incentive to get a higher lvl job and a raise. Will see what is the right lvl for me.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Yes, my sims will only be allowed part-time roles unless they attend uni
    I actually just downloaded a mod that makes it so you have to have a degree in order to get a full time job. 💙
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Other
    I have the pack but am determined to stick to my rotational play, meaning it will be a while before any sim will be in a position to be sent to university. But patience is a good thing as I'm learning things through Let's Plays and perhaps bugs will be addressed come the time.

I always randomise traits so I don't fall into the trap of creating the same kind of sims over and over plus it adds a challenge. I am currently trying to devise a restriction on who attends university. Maybe only those with the moodlet traits (creative, active, genius, etc) perhaps? I only allow sims with the good trait to join the scouts for example.

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    @DevilNDisguise awww thanks for the sympathy, I needed that! Nobody I know irl understands what it's like to be simless.

@SilentKitty that's a good point about the careers, I have played many at low level and never got further so uni will be a good opportunity for change.

@calaprfy another good idea with the traits! I never thought of doing such a thing.

I love coming to these forums, people play in so many different ways it's great to get some new ideas and opinions.
  • RebeccaThurstonRebeccaThurston Posts: 234 Member
    Other
    It will depend on the sim and the life plan I have for them. I won't send sims to university that are already masters of their chosen career paths. However, any teenagers, toddlers, and children in my game now or in the future all have a high chance of being sent there. But like I said, it depends on what plans I have for them. Some just won't need to go. For instance, I have earmarked a certain toddler sim I have now to grow up and become a comedian. She might not go to university because it's the kind of profession that doesn't need university education to work out well. I have another sim though that is going to university because she has the archaeology aspiration and wants to go into the environmental management branch of the conservationist career. Makes sense for this sim to go to university.
  • MrSunshineMrSunshine Posts: 99 Member
    Because sims with high school diploma is only able to get level 3 job max, I just pretend that they take vocational high school.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited November 2019
    I'll likely base it more on the individual sim.

I feel like Ambitious sims would want to go for the big career boost and Genius/Knowledge sims would want to go for academic reasons, regardless of future career choice.

Party animal/social sims could go either way, but if they went they wouldn't primarily be there to learn, unless they were also Geniuses etc. I think sims with the Insider or Bro traits would particularly like to found/join Greek Houses or other university clubs.

Sims that are due to inherit the family retail business would have no practical reason to go because they can't learn the retail skills. They might choose to attend for other reasons though. E.G For backstory reasons you might want an art dealer to have an Art History degree or a baker to have studied Culinary Arts.
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I wasn't planning on this but after reading this post I kind of like the idea for my played households. I am however happy this is not forced into gameplay because I will still use any job for the neighbours and relatives I create for my played households.

For played households I will make 3 categories
    - require the specific degree : doctors, scientists, lawyers, engineers ...
    - require any degree : education, economics, astronaut...
    - no degree required : florist, style influencer, entertainer, actor, mixologist ...

I will try to make a complete list by the time I get my hands on Discover University, probably around Christmas.

As long as you keep in mind that the terms and workload could be a bit too tedious or take an extra long time depending on how many Sims you have going to Uni at any given time. That's why I voted for them to have any route they want to take for any career. You'll see what I mean when you get the actual game. Now, It would be great if they allowed for Sims to go to at least some classes on their own when not being played! Or get some required classwork done.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self