Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

am i the only that thinks the sims 4 looks empty?

124...Next

Comments

• rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited November 2019
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    You may enjoy and that is good for you but maybe not for others.

Yeah, pretty much. Each to our own. I prefer TS4 myself over the TS3 because it's what I want and does everything well for what I want more so than TS3 and that is storytelling. I prefer the graphics and the Sims themselves in TS4. Some of the scenery in the TS4 is just really beautiful. All of this personally works better for me than TS3 for what I want out of the game.

However, I can see why others would prefer TS3 over TS4. One example is that the open world in TS3 was nice. It was really nice for people who want to play the game for gameplay rather than storytelling. It was fun just watching all the Sims wandering around and checking out what's going on. Another good thing about TS3 was it allowed us to create our own worlds. Don't get me wrong I'm perfectly fine and happy with the worlds in TS4 myself, and they offer everything I need, but for other players who want more worlds or worlds with more lots etc I can see why they would like TS3 more.

Anyways, it all comes down to our own preferences and everyone is allowed to like what they wanna like and dislike what they wanna dislike. In the end, I'm just glad EA and the Sims team are continuing on with the series. Whether it be TS4 or TS3, both games are a part of the Sims family, and they are both good games.

Post edited by rjssim on
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    For me, the major things that make TS4 feel empty are the lack of the ability to create your own world to play in, start a game with all worlds empty (without save manipulation and reserve saves), or add more lots to worlds; the lopsided emotion system; how poorly integrated traits are; and the length of time it's taken, on average, to add new supernatural content to the game.

All of these things make the game feel smaller by limiting replay value, making our sims feel far less emotionally complex than in TS2 and TS3, and severely limiting the storytelling options for supernatural players for insane lengths of time. Seriously, for two years, if I wanted a non-human sim, all I had was aliens and ghosts. Then, vampires came along and for the next two years I had a whopping THREE options for the NEXT two years (two in CAS, one from going through the arduous process of killing a sim [a real chore in this game without cheats], then re-recruiting them into a household!). TS4 has the best CAS and Build Mode, but content and gameplay wise it's...messy...
    I agree with this. I think it also explains why some love the game where others just can’t get into it (which, let’s be honest, was the same for Sims 3). It depends on what you want the game to be and for me, yes, you hit the nail on the head.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Not at all.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    rjssim wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    You may enjoy and that is good for you but maybe not for others.

Yeah, pretty much. Each to our own. I prefer TS4 myself over the TS3 because it's what I want and does everything well for what I want more so than TS3 and that is storytelling. I prefer the graphics and the Sims themselves in TS4. Some of the scenery in the TS4 is just really beautiful. All of this personally works better for me than TS3 for what I want out of the game.

However, I can see why others would prefer TS3 over TS4. One example is that the open world in TS3 was nice. It was really nice for people who want to play the game for gameplay rather than storytelling. It was fun just watching all the Sims wandering around and checking out what's going on. Another good thing about TS3 was it allowed us to create our own worlds. Don't get me wrong I'm perfectly fine and happy with the worlds in TS4 myself, and they offer everything I need, but for other players who want more worlds or worlds with more lots etc I can see why they would like TS3 more.

Anyways, it all comes down to our own preferences and everyone is allowed to like what they wanna like and dislike what they wanna dislike. In the end, I'm just glad EA and the Sims team are continuing on with the series. Whether it be TS4 or TS3, both games are a part of the Sims family, and they are both good games.
    Exactly and I love this. <3 Sims 2 still remains my favorite and love how it is part of the Sims family too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,426 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    It is empty. I haven't played regular in over 2 yrs. I just can't find a reason to open the game and play a session. I want to play, but every time I think I'll have a simming day....I just can't be bothered. And then I think...well maybe I'll just build....and then I think....why bother. I used to build to play it. In 1/2/3 90% of my time was spent in "live mode" on speed 1. Sims 4 offers nothing to me compared to the past. It's boring. The sims are boring. The AI, game, all of it. Boring.

I've tried, and tried, and tried to make unique, diverse, and different sims, but no matter what I do, they all feel the same. They play the same, act the same and it's the same game no matter what. And I always feel like I am fighting to make a different world than the one the devs think we want to play.

I haven't touched "parenthood" game play. Nor "laundry".

I've attempted JA, IL, ROM, Seasons, Pets, Vampires, Get Famous....

just every household I load up is the same. There's nothing unique in this game. And I think that boils down to the horrible AI and the emotions (lack thereof) and lack of actual personalities we can give this generation of Sims.
    Agreed. The general lack of attention to detail kind of roots from that the game was basically built on a budget-grade game engine.
    9d1z2m12k175.png
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    MMX wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »
    It is empty. I haven't played regular in over 2 yrs. I just can't find a reason to open the game and play a session. I want to play, but every time I think I'll have a simming day....I just can't be bothered. And then I think...well maybe I'll just build....and then I think....why bother. I used to build to play it. In 1/2/3 90% of my time was spent in "live mode" on speed 1. Sims 4 offers nothing to me compared to the past. It's boring. The sims are boring. The AI, game, all of it. Boring.

I've tried, and tried, and tried to make unique, diverse, and different sims, but no matter what I do, they all feel the same. They play the same, act the same and it's the same game no matter what. And I always feel like I am fighting to make a different world than the one the devs think we want to play.

I haven't touched "parenthood" game play. Nor "laundry".

I've attempted JA, IL, ROM, Seasons, Pets, Vampires, Get Famous....

just every household I load up is the same. There's nothing unique in this game. And I think that boils down to the horrible AI and the emotions (lack thereof) and lack of actual personalities we can give this generation of Sims.
    Agreed. The general lack of attention to detail kind of roots from that the game was basically built on a budget-grade game engine.

Exactly. I can't get immersed in the sims I create because of that. What's the point in a vet, or a doctor, or a policeman, or a shop owner....or anything? because when you go to those things, YOUR sims are not manning THEIR stores...

I can't create MY world. I can only play theirs.

Why do I care if my sim's lip quivers while eating if he/she is sad? Nothing in their lives made them sad...the game did...just so it could show off the quivering lip. But off to the next room they go to dance or troll the forum....
    They don't care about other sims in their lives. I think Sims 4 sims are narcissists. They are lacking in every way. (aside from the game programmed hugs)
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    You're definitely not alone OP. Some like or even love The Sims 4 but there are also those of us who just can't connect with it for a variety of reasons and lacks depth and feels empty are pretty common among those reasons. Even some of the players who love it have said it is lacking in some areas so it's not just some of us living in a land of nostalgia reminiscing over the previous games with blinders on to the faults they carried as well, especially when most of us actively play one or more of the previous Sims titles.

For me personally, @fullspiral hit the nail on the head with my issues with The Sims 4. All the sims feel the same so there are no unique or diverse sims beyond looks which is an issue I have. Surface level the game is nice. If all I cared about was looks I'd just go find some CC to change the sims skin and hopefully something to change nature and take screenshots all day, but go deeper than that and I just can't connect. There really isn't a point to different careers or even the different expansion packs they offer either if the sims all act the same and therefore are hard to connect with. To me it's that missing piece that no pack or feature can replace, it just needs to be directly addressed.

In Sims 2 and Sims 3 any sim I create I can connect with but not in Sims 4 and I've never had that happen until this game. Even the townies I make and never meant to get attached to I got attached to because it was easy to be drawn in by their personalities. Even the ones I made to be absolutely rotten part of me couldn't help but love. It's just something about putting time and energy into making these little animated people be perfectly who I want them to be inside and out that's so easy to get sucked into. They're exactly who I make them to be and in The Sims 2 and 3 nothing changes them unless I change them. In Sims 4 they change so much they all seem to share one personality.

You really can't create your world, at least I don't feel like I can, and one of the things I love about The Sims is the control as a player that one could have over that. The sandbox is one of my favorite parts. We all don't play alike so having the tools, options, and therefore the freedom to adjust the game more to my liking was great. Seeing how other players used the sandbox in ways I never would've dreamed of was great. I hated in Sims 3 when they started tightening the reins or confines of the sandbox so to speak like with the attraction system with no options to choose what my sims were or were not attracted to for example, but they reined it in even more in The Sims 4. And justification of shortcomings in places because of growth in a fewer other places doesn't cut it for me.

I know sometimes people say, 'Well in The Sims 3...' or 'This isn't even the first Sims game that...' but just because they did or didn't do whatever before doesn't mean we players who prefer those games thought it was acceptable or right and are suddenly picking on the current game just because. You'd think they'd do better overall by now.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    kaylin205 wrote: »
    Also for double the price, they aren't done milking the cow just yet.

Well they have a long way to go to catch up to Sims 3 - I own everything made by Maxis for sims 3 and It comes to 3600 dollars and that is just things I bought - not including content I was gifted. Now was that milking too - and I don't regret anything and love all the choices I have. I enjoy using all my Sims 3 content, and Sims 2 content and Sims 4 content. Keep in mind no body but each of us makes us buy anything. So a bit hard to call it milking when we are the one who decides to buy the content. Maxis doesn't even go out of their way to show us how much we should want this stuff or need it - so really we decide for ourselves we have to have it. That's not milking where I come from. No one is forced to buy anything. Be glad they make it - it is our choice to buy it or not.

Oh and not double the price Sims 3 eps were 39.99 and sps were 19.99 when the game was being developed and we almost never had all the sales Sims 4 gets. Even one of the sps in Sims 3 was 30.00 when it came out. I bought them all because I liked them - it was my choice - and I never considered that milking either.

The store isn’t essential. And lots of people got items for free through watching ads and registering expansions. I’ve never paid for store content and I have a lot.

Try playing sims 4 without any stuff packs. It will be boring. Sims 3 is playable without store content.

Sims 2 expansions for me were £19.99
    Sims 3 expansions are 29.99 (even now)
    Stuff packs are 12.99 when I bought mine.

Sims 4 expansions are 34.99
    Stuff packs are cheaper but game packs are 17.99. I have all dlc for all three sims games and just missing two or three packs from sims 4 and it’s is the most expensive to date if you own it all, that’s a fact.

Well I guess it depends on where you live but the prices I gave is the prices I paid at Origin or Amazon. I did not care much for most of the rabbit holes that were not essential so I bought the working businesses from the store. They are a lot of fun and you can physically go into them and make stuff and buy stuff. If you preferred rabbit holes then I guess you didn't need the store. I also love the Unique worlds in the store - the game had very few like them - so I bought them as well - if you didn't like them well I see your point in not paying for them either but my choice was I had to have them. Back in those days I had less time to be here and less time to watch ads for tiny bits of money for hours. I did get some good deals in that machine they had that would finish a package if you had part of it, especially furniture and clothing sets. Eventually I had the whole store. But the prices I gave are the prices I paid in the USA.

You say Sims 4 eps are 34.99 but my husband just pre-ordered and pre-paid for Discover University and paid 42.99 for it - that includes taxes of 3 dollars. That's what I paid for every Sims 4 ep that I have bought. I have been gifted some as well. Thank goodness seeing I don't have the kind of money I had during Sims 3 days - illness like mine takes care of that. But I am not missing any packs and enjoy them all. I do not find the game empty or boring - believe me it is a good thing as it keeps me smiling and my mind busy when other wise I couldn't do anything else between treatments. Maybe I have good reason to like it because of my situation - I can't say - I just know that I do and it just makes me happy.

I have all the worlds, I bought three and the rest I got with sim points. I was gifted Lunar lakes. I have the toy shop and the bistro too. The latter which I admit I don’t use too often, I do really enjoy of the sets but I wouldn’t pay for store content other than the worlds I paid for. I played the game for years without.

I’m really glad you enjoy the sims 4 and I hope you love university.

Don't forget that TS3 also has the FREE Create-a-World which gives TS3 players even more worlds to play with for FREE! Also CASt and Create-a-Pattern to change the look of everything giving TS3 players even more decorating and clothing options! There's so much you can get for TS3 for FREE! You get so much more out of TS3 for your money! I hope TS5 will be that way too!
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    We are not supposed to have pro and anti iteration arguments on here and I've played all of them in turn and enjoyed them all.

The basic game is quite empty I agree but EA/Maxis are taking the long road trying to make Sims 4 last until a Sims5 is ready (if in the works) and if you have all packs, as I do there is plenty to do. I agree about the expressions largely and do miss the graveyard, mausoleum and suffering periods of Sims but otherwise as a builder I'm enjoying building and the gradual release of more features in Patches.

I've seen some new games coming in at over £60 (UK) so £34.99 for an expansion pack seems reasonable to me as I will be playing this game for several years and those others might either be too difficult for me and never finished or don't last a month with me.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    If you look at purely just TS2, TS3 and TS4 base games and what those offer, TS2 wins hands down for the most value for your buck. You got so much stuff with that base game. They've added onto TS4 over the years but it's still half what TS2 was. TS3 was the start of the down slide, still a lot more on offer at the base, but I think it's when they realized they could hold a lot more off and put it into packs and the store. That said though, they actually had a lot of things crammed into the packs to make it worth the $40 asking price. Now it's like they don't even try to put it in a pack. TS2 had simple things (that likely weren't so simple to make) but simple actions that made it more endearing too. Like opening a drawer to get a spoon when cooking. Going to the store and having a shopping basket with shopping appearing to be in it! TS4 everything just poofs in and out of our sims hands and they poof themselves off to work. Even TS2 had them getting in a car or helicopter even to go to work.

TS2 was great, I agree, especially with greater detail of sims behavior and animations but TS3 had a lot of great things going for it as well that was also a lot of value for your buck. I honestly don't think it went downhill during its entire run, even to the last EP, Into the Future. When I first played it, I was wishing that it had the finer details of TS2, but I also realized back then, that it was very ambitious about its open world at a time when the computers didn't have as much power and capacity that it would need to add those finer details.

But the computers out now can handle so much more! I'm really hoping that TS5 will combine everything we love about TS2 and TS3 together: finer details of TS2, with the flexibility and open world of TS3, plus favorites from TS1 and TS4!

PS - I agree with the OP that the Sims 4 looks and feels empty, so not alone at all on that opinion!
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    If you look at purely just TS2, TS3 and TS4 base games and what those offer, TS2 wins hands down for the most value for your buck. You got so much stuff with that base game. They've added onto TS4 over the years but it's still half what TS2 was. TS3 was the start of the down slide, still a lot more on offer at the base, but I think it's when they realized they could hold a lot more off and put it into packs and the store. That said though, they actually had a lot of things crammed into the packs to make it worth the $40 asking price. Now it's like they don't even try to put it in a pack. TS2 had simple things (that likely weren't so simple to make) but simple actions that made it more endearing too. Like opening a drawer to get a spoon when cooking. Going to the store and having a shopping basket with shopping appearing to be in it! TS4 everything just poofs in and out of our sims hands and they poof themselves off to work. Even TS2 had them getting in a car or helicopter even to go to work.

TS2 was great, I agree, especially with greater detail of sims behavior and animations but TS3 had a lot of great things going for it as well that was also a lot of value for your buck. I honestly don't think it went downhill during its entire run, even to the last EP, Into the Future. When I first played it, I was wishing that it had the finer details of TS2, but I also realized back then, that it was very ambitious about its open world at a time when the computers didn't have as much power and capacity that it would need to add those finer details.

But the computers out now can handle so much more! I'm really hoping that TS5 will combine everything we love about TS2 and TS3 together: finer details of TS2, with the flexibility and open world of TS3, plus favorites from TS1 and TS4!

PS - I agree with the OP that the Sims 4 looks and feels empty, so not alone at all on that opinion!

TS4 should have been that game, TS2 and TS3 combined with the best from both games. Maybe they will do it for TS5. TS4 feels more like it should have been put in between 2 & 3. 2.5 with less options and detail! There's things that I do like about TS4, it's just that it is pretty empty and even with packs, they keep me busy for a day or two then it's all same old. :/

I'm still playing TS3 and discovering new things. TS4 has very little surprises left for me, (I still play it, but there's not so many "wow" moments and in TS3 they still keep coming, 6 years after the game is finished). I'm sure I'd still find things in TS2 too, if I could be bothered to try to get it to run on Win10. I know I didn't play that enough before diving into 3.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
    edited November 2019

While I fully see and appreciate sims in Sims 2 have more personality and animations are more detailed, I still favour Sims 3. Also after playing 2. Because too much detail becomes grinding for me and too much personality can block my own imagination. I don’t like no personality, but too much of it, that’s also not my cup of tea. I need room to interprete and Sims 3 for me just has the perfect balance in that respect somehow.

Plus CASt plus open world for me are essential features to enjoy the game as well, I felt a bit limited, caged, when playing Sims 2. We just all have our own personal reasons to favour one over the other. Someone once explained to me Sims 3 for her in fact was too open, she preferred the ‘cage’ where for me it’s a downside.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • clouddefilerclouddefiler Posts: 4 New Member
    I waited a long time to put in money towards Sims4, after I played the trial and found it disappointing. I finally did this month and the verdict is negative. Yes, it is bleak, barren and very restrictive in many ways. Place a house in the world on a lot of your size choice? Nope.
    Rotate or resize a lot in their restricted pre chosen build slot? Nope!
    Add additional houses or building spaces to fill out the population with sims you want to interact with? Nope.

I was really looking forward to the new 'World' when I picked up the vampire pack on sale. What I got were a few houses and a bleak empty park with a couple of chess tables. No interactive graves, no Grim... no nothing. It was not even worth the sale price.

So, I thought I would pay for an actual expansion.... island living. Small restrictive town, same resizing restrictions to available lots. Few interesting to No interesting sims and becoming a mermaid had 0 depth. Go explore a cave find some kelp, end of story. Least they could have done was have a mermaid friend drag you under the water and impose an offer of change, but Nope, despite the animation already existing. Laughably, some of the dolphin interactions happen in water so shallow that most of the dolphin is below the sand. Ruins any sense of immersion for games based in this day and age.

My instinct on this game was to not waste the money and for years I stuck with Sims3 and I even have a great deal of Sims2. Those older games could have used 'some' of the qualities that Sims4 has, but sadly, Sims4 needs a serious injection of the creativity used in it's predecessors. Major need for a more open world for building up your towns 'worlds'.

With Sims4 they lost sight of in depth creativity and went for the quickest path to a dollar payout. Yes, I get they are on an EA determined time table to release content so they get a pay check.... but, this is quality graphics for a Sims game paired with bad execution of minimalist content.

To be clear, I have Jungle Adventure, Get to work, Island living, Cats and Dogs, Seasons, Dine out, Vampires, and some stuff packs. I consider that well invested in trying out the game as a whole, not a half hearted attempt at giving Sims4 a chance. P.S. I am also a modder of other games, as in know what it takes to create 3D models, texture, bump map, etc. It 'is' hard work, difficult at times, even monotonous, especially coding, but then these guys are paid to make a good product and should make every attempt to do so, not let a gaming staple fall apart due to lack of devotion. Lets also mention the keyhole pandering they are doing with a few of the ideas being presented in Sims4, that were a little present in Sims3 but not to this extent.
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    Essentially, five years in, I have more and more the impression of... you know, do like the kids in the sims 4 and playing dolls at the dollhouse. Much like those dolls, TS4 sims do things because they're told to, but don't really feel things. They are content to simply fill their needs and that's all they do. No memories of anything, no real long term goals, pedestrian whims acting as 't's what I wanna do, just because'. I wonder if, at this point, we can talk of a simulation game, or a glorified 'tamagochi', with cool anims and cute graphs.

Imo, Sims 1 sims were already more complex, due to both their genealogy, and their role as 'customers', always telling you how they felt about their home. Sims 2 sims pushed that to the next level with their memories, and also their roles as 'witnesses' when something out of the ordinary happened in their vicinity.

Since then, the live mode has taken a huge slap. Those new sims have no astrologic character, 2 to 4 traits less than TS3 sims (with a much more shallow pool to chose from), no memories, no feel for their home, no real items they naturally feel attracted to, no real long term desire that drives them... making them, in my opinion, the bleakest of them all, on a 18 year long series.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Dijktafone wrote: »
    Essentially, five years in, I have more and more the impression of... you know, do like the kids in the sims 4 and playing dolls at the dollhouse. Much like those dolls, TS4 sims do things because they're told to, but don't really feel things. They are content to simply fill their needs and that's all they do. No memories of anything, no real long term goals, pedestrian whims acting as 't's what I wanna do, just because'. I wonder if, at this point, we can talk of a simulation game, or a glorified 'tamagochi', with cool anims and cute graphs.

Imo, Sims 1 sims were already more complex, due to both their genealogy, and their role as 'customers', always telling you how they felt about their home. Sims 2 sims pushed that to the next level with their memories, and also their roles as 'witnesses' when something out of the ordinary happened in their vicinity.

Since then, the live mode has taken a huge slap. Those new sims have no astrologic character, 2 to 4 traits less than TS3 sims (with a much more shallow pool to chose from), no memories, no feel for their home, no real items they naturally feel attracted to, no real long term desire that drives them... making them, in my opinion, the bleakest of them all, on a 18 year long series.

IMHO, live mode is the worst portion of the game within The Sims 4. CAS developers did a good job, build/buy left a bit to be desired, but live mode was an entirely big disappointment. There is little to no innovation at all within the gameplay, and the multitasking/emotion systems they banked on rebuilding an entire Sims game and DLC for are a nuisance at best.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
    @clouddefiler (I agree) Curious: what's keyhole pandering? (googled but to no avail ;))
    5JZ57S6.png
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    adamzaid wrote: »
    comparing the sims 4 to sims 3 in content the sims 4 looks almost barren which is why i dont really like the sims 4 as much. it lacks depth and i feel other than san myshonu , delsol valley and sulani (sorry if i butchered the names XD) look great and detailed. but when ever i play the sims 3 i always feel overwhelmed by the amount of stuff i can do!

i just wanna know other people opinions on this

I don't get this empty theme that is floating around the forums.

What does FULL look like to you?

wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
    troshalom wrote: »
    comparing the sims 4 to sims 3 in content the sims 4 looks almost barren which is why i dont really like the sims 4 as much. it lacks depth and i feel other than san myshonu , delsol valley and sulani (sorry if i butchered the names XD) look great and detailed. but when ever i play the sims 3 i always feel overwhelmed by the amount of stuff i can do!

51Olfd34%2BCL.jpg

ltocvkcdku001.jpg

6397a0da84abfb342bb719205c761072.jpg
    5JZ57S6.png
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

51Olfd34%2BCL.jpg

ltocvkcdku001.jpg

<3
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member

51Olfd34%2BCL.jpg

ltocvkcdku001.jpg

Even boxes are more complete than the TS4 ones.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member

51Olfd34%2BCL.jpg

ltocvkcdku001.jpg

I missed boxes with discs :disappointed:

Last time I ran to a store was in September 2014. And my feeling after playing TS4 was to burn that box! I dindn't make it because thats stupid but I think you know that feeling Im talking about!