Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[ ♦ ] Basegames: The Sims 4 (2022) and The Sims 1/2/3

Comments

• Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 784 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Question - how many people with kids have pool tables, go play pin ball, play yard games with the kids, etc, etc now a days compared to 15-20 years ago? The game actually reflects changes humanity made and really shouldn't include old fashioned ways as hey no one really does a lot of that stuff any more like we had when we were kids.

There are people who want "old-fashioned things" in their games. Why should we have to settle for drinking at bars/pubs/lounges/etc and ony playnig with high-tech gadgets? In Sims 1 and 2,there were a variety of things added to new packs,and I heard that Sims 3 was the same way. THey combined old and new so EVERYONE could enjoy playing. In Sims 4,we are limited to half-baked packs that focus on young adults,partying,high tech gadgets and drinking that is plunked into every pack EA turns out I'm hoping Sims 5 will be a mixture of 13 and better than Sims 4.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    Question - how many people with kids have pool tables, go play pin ball, play yard games with the kids, etc, etc now a days compared to 15-20 years ago? The game actually reflects changes humanity made and really shouldn't include old fashioned ways as hey no one really does a lot of that stuff any more like we had when we were kids.

There are people who want "old-fashioned things" in their games. Why should we have to settle for drinking at bars/pubs/lounges/etc and ony playnig with high-tech gadgets? In Sims 1 and 2,there were a variety of things added to new packs,and I heard that Sims 3 was the same way. THey combined old and new so EVERYONE could enjoy playing. In Sims 4,we are limited to half-baked packs that focus on young adults,partying,high tech gadgets and drinking that is plunked into every pack EA turns out I'm hoping Sims 5 will be a mixture of 13 and better than Sims 4.

What are the old fashioned things you are thinking of? dominoes? There's quite a lot of things to do but you have to buy more packs. They tend to split them up and not all together in one. eg., climbing wall, bowling, Meditation, Yoga, Massage, mudbaths, foosball table, chess, darts, karaoke, fireworks, basketball.....sandcastles........
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Felicity wrote: »

Hmmm, we do? I mean, we don't have a pool table (we go out to play pool) but the entire time my kids were growing up, we had all sorts of activities. Pinball, miniature golf, bowling, swimming, kayaking, skiing, sledding, movies, organized sports, organized music, unorganized music etc. etc. etc. Yes, the kids use their phones and play video games, but honestly, they're all more active than I was when I was a teen. In some ways, technology gives them more time to do other things. Like study groups -- it takes much less time to Skype your group than it does planning meeting in person.

And I don't think I was a exceptionally involved parent -- most parents I know were if anything more involved with their kids activities.
    Now those are activities I would like to see kids, parents, grandparents, and great grandparents do together. Sounds like you are a cool parent. Active things to do together. Nice technology has helped them in positive ways like that.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    Simburian wrote: »

What are the old fashioned things you are thinking of? dominoes? There's quite a lot of things to do but you have to buy more packs. They tend to split them up and not all together in one. eg., climbing wall, bowling, Meditation, Yoga, Massage, mudbaths, foosball table, chess, darts, karaoke, fireworks, basketball.....sandcastles........

The implication that a player would need to buy a bunch of packs to give there Sims something to do might be true (as you've pointed out), but that doesn't mean it isn't sad/annoying/discouraging, and it also doesn't mean that should be the way a game is designed. A base game should honestly be able to stand alone with its substantial amount of gameplay. Base game Sims have so little to do in TS4. And while anyone could sit here and list off things like reading or play chess or go explore the hidden world in Willow Creek, it's also like...okay yeah but they could have just given more activities in the game at the same time instead of forcing players into having Sims do the same handful of activities.
  • CemirrorCemirror Posts: 61 Member
    > @Lady_Ballora said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    >
    > There are people who want "old-fashioned things" in their games. Why should we have to settle for drinking at bars/pubs/lounges/etc and ony playnig with high-tech gadgets? In Sims 1 and 2,there were a variety of things added to new packs,and I heard that Sims 3 was the same way. THey combined old and new so EVERYONE could enjoy playing. In Sims 4,we are limited to half-baked packs that focus on young adults,partying,high tech gadgets and drinking that is plunked into every pack EA turns out I'm hoping Sims 5 will be a mixture of 13 and better than Sims 4.

Agreed, I feel like our Sims have pretty depressing lives when it comes down to it. And how many bars do we need?? *Especially* when in the Sims 4 the juice is like... literal juice that gives no benefits.

Elders in the Sims 4 get seemingly no attention. I have no idea what my Sims are going to do when they become Elders.
    @Cemirror

The fact that the Nightclub, Lounge, and Bar community lot types are more or less the same thing serving the same purpose...
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

The implication that a player would need to buy a bunch of packs to give there Sims something to do might be true (as you've pointed out), but that doesn't mean it isn't sad/annoying/discouraging, and it also doesn't mean that should be the way a game is designed. A base game should honestly be able to stand alone with its substantial amount of gameplay. Base game Sims have so little to do in TS4. And while anyone could sit here and list off things like reading or play chess or go explore the hidden world in Willow Creek, it's also like...okay yeah but they could have just given more activities in the game at the same time instead of forcing players into having Sims do the same handful of activities.
    I'm convinced that if a Sims basegame is complex and thorough where it comes to personalities - all life stages being fleshed out - and interactions (and consequences), it will be fun to play. Those are aspects that shouldn't have to be improved or fixed later.

5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I'm convinced that if a Sims basegame is complex and thorough where it comes to personalities - all life stages being fleshed out - and interactions (and consequences), it will be fun to play. Those are aspects that shouldn't have to be improved or fixed later.

Honestly, I completely agree.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member

Well there is two things we need unpacked here .

A. It really doesn't matters how many people still do does things with kids. This is a game and not reality .No matter how old fashion it is .We should at least get some things .I miss newspapers and buying books from the bookstore . Like we can in sims 3?

B. I don't know about you. Why its true kids do play video games. They still play tag, swim,go minigolf. We still have arcades well stops like Dave and Busters.

My brother,son,and me do a lot of stuff . You want a representation of what kids do? Here s what my nephew wanted for Christmas. Why he wanted a Nintendo switch light . He also wanted a nerf gun, and ninja light swords for Christmas.
  • sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member

I prefer bars that have pool tables and darts. I prefer arcades (nowadays “barcades”) with pinball. I don't have kids (yet), but I follow my sister's stories with her little 2-year-old. The little guy normally plays outside all the time (but now, during COVID-19, it's a little different).

These are not old-fashioned ways. Wake up and look around you: Even in 2020 now (your comment was from 2019), these activities flourish!
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • Leahmiller2006Leahmiller2006 Posts: 354 Member
    I was expecting to get a pool table with the "Get Together" pub themed objects.

Or city living. Apartments would be perfect with them

Let Your Smile Change Your World, But Don't Let The World Change Your Smile.

5K Mud Run For Cancer Research, 14 July 2018.
    Sims 4, 25th December 2014
  • Leahmiller2006Leahmiller2006 Posts: 354 Member
    Actually even TS1 have pond tools.

But what I missed the most about the previous three games is CARPOOLS

Same! I miss them going to work an hour before. My sims are always late!
    Let Your Smile Change Your World, But Don't Let The World Change Your Smile.

5K Mud Run For Cancer Research, 14 July 2018.
    Sims 4, 25th December 2014
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    Cemirror wrote: »
    > @Lady_Ballora said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    >
    > There are people who want "old-fashioned things" in their games. Why should we have to settle for drinking at bars/pubs/lounges/etc and ony playnig with high-tech gadgets? In Sims 1 and 2,there were a variety of things added to new packs,and I heard that Sims 3 was the same way. THey combined old and new so EVERYONE could enjoy playing. In Sims 4,we are limited to half-baked packs that focus on young adults,partying,high tech gadgets and drinking that is plunked into every pack EA turns out I'm hoping Sims 5 will be a mixture of 13 and better than Sims 4.

Agreed, I feel like our Sims have pretty depressing lives when it comes down to it. And how many bars do we need?? *Especially* when in the Sims 4 the juice is like... literal juice that gives no benefits.

Elders in the Sims 4 get seemingly no attention. I have no idea what my Sims are going to do when they become Elders.

The same sort of things that they did when aged 30, 40, 50. Believe me that's what I do, or would do if I'm allowed out in Scotland in the next couple of months! Being old is not another country! :D
  • motdkmotdk Posts: 208 Member
    edited August 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »

One of the reasons I loved The Sims was because I could play my imagination. There was a bear rug, medieval furniture, some sword decor, etc. in basegame. And the 'CAS' Sims had a lot of medieval outfits and heads. I didn't have to play modern day like we have to play now. That's only one reason I love sandbox, because The Sims didn't limit my mind to play their way, but my way. The Motto used to be 'Challenge Everything' :) .

I loved when the game said, " challenge everything" that meant they where going to work on anything that was not a normal or boring thing. But sadly we don't have Will Wright and his team who made this game to began with. They were the part of EA that Challenged life. Not this new team. I want a game I can love and play, well this is not it. Too many bugs, too little game play, so much money for less, and sims that are too shallow for words. I WONT TO LIKE THIS GAME BUT I CAN'T. I shouldn't have to make myself play it or think of fun ways to not get bored. Everyone's right it is a game than make the game enjoyable.
  • Carl_Veluz1992Carl_Veluz1992 Posts: 500 Member
    edited August 2020
    The vehicles and garages should be added to The Sims 4 before releasing The Sims 5
  • sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    The vehicles and garages should be added to The Sims 4 before releasing The Sims 5

Oh, they will be.

I truly hope that what we have in base game Sims 4 will be the minimum of what is released base-game in The Sims 5. It takes major effort. It takes time and resources. But, please, do it for the customer.
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • vcosleyvcosley Posts: 880 Member
    I played 1,2 and 3. 4 is boring has less depth. I just build to relax. I still play 2 and 3.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    So many missing features. My biggest wish list is Wants and Fears and an aspiration meter
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited February 2022
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    It would've been nice if they added sweethearts in CAS for boyfriend/girlfriend relationship.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Pond tool is added !

But not nearly as good as the one in TS2, which is easy to use, is flexible, and the ponds automatically fill with fish if the pond is large enough. That I need to stock a pond with fish types my sim already has is both short-sighted and lazy programming.