Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Harder jobs?

Is there a mod out there somewhere that effects how easy it is to climb the carrier ladder? Preferably both with normal jobs and the special once, like medic and detective. You shouldn't be able to get to be the absolute top in any carrier within 3 weeks, just for showing up on time and do some easy tasks.

Reducing income on creative skills, like painting, photos, woodworking etc would be nice too. Especially for the lowers lvl and for those without any artistic traits. No one would pay a dime for anything I painted, no matter how much I worked as I don't have an artistic bone in my body

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    edited November 2019
    MCCC has settings for how fast you learn skills and such, try playing around with that mod?
    You're Breathtaking!
  • Dida_QuickswitchDida_Quickswitch Posts: 290 Member
    edited November 2019
    Yes I have that mod and I have increased the time it take to skill up. I play with long life though, so the end result will be the same. I want them to try their best and still only a select few will make it to the top or even above lvl 5-6. Maybe also reduce hourly pay for most of the jobs, especial those in the lower sector. Only thing I can think of to make them stay poor a bit longer is to increase bills to a ridiculous amount. Harder grades for kids and teenagers, (haven't tried uni yet so don't know about that),

With no education and average high school grade, very few are able to climb more than a few steps on their chosen job. If you work at a restaurant, but don't have a chef education, you are not likely to climb higher than a waiter, no matter how many books you read about cooking or how much you cook at home.

So a bit more realist, harder to get a promotion, possibly a max lvl for different final grades for teens, (unless they go to uni), and lower wages for the lower paying jobs.

Another idea that I can't remember if I downloaded in Sims 2 or 3, is a bush that act like a loan. Every bush you buy will give you 1000 or 5000 simelons or such, but you have to pay 10% interest, not sure if it was pr day or pr bill, (2 times pr week). Would be a realist way to play on how many people spend more than their means and end up in a situation where they end up taking more loans to pay their old once in a vicious circle. Starting them out with no money except for the lot and have to buy those bushes to get the most basic, will also make for a hard start.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I recommend the mod by Triplis that lets you freeze individual skills. Then you can freeze the logic skill for example and then you can work and use the skill without being eligible for a raise.

For me that mod is a game changer. It is so freeing to be able to use a skill and still be rubbish at it :)
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    edited November 2019
    I sympathize with your desire for more challenging paths to success, but had to counter the assertion that with no college degree and just lackluster high school grades, no one can become a top chef, and all they can amount to is something lowly in the culinary career. There are people who started out in kitchens, paid under the table, at 14, who reached the top of their field through talent, hard work, and making connections in the field due to a great work ethic. The attempts to professionalize everything to the point that opportunities for success must be bought through the established channels, in which a degree is considered superior to innate ability, work ethic, and talent, is an indication of how bloated and corrupt the higher education industry has become.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Dida_QuickswitchDida_Quickswitch Posts: 290 Member
    That was defiantly doable 30-40 years ago. Would be a LOT harder to pull that off now. Most jobs nowadays that pays more than 20 pr hour, is required by law to have the proper education. Even the cleaning lady got her degree in cleaning. Most daycares have several with a bachelor degree for taking care of young children and most of those who don't still got a degree= maybe 1 year in college.
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    I believe Zero has been playing with Uni and jobs - making you need a degree for some. check them out
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • simmersizzlersimmersizzler Posts: 36 Member
    I didn't know about the mod by Triplis, I'm definitely going to check that out because it is absolutely annoying for sims to climb that ladder so fast that it makes you wonder what you're doing wrong in real life lol! Thanks so much for answering that question, and I wish that there was actually a way for sims to simply spend more time at each level, though not too much time, and that they could possibly still have lots of different scenarios at work, like a normal career, as well as being able to continue in a career if they were to switch careers instead of starting over again (because that would mean using tweaks). Lots to think about, though the Triplis seems to resolve at least that unatural rapid skill gain!
  • simmersizzlersimmersizzler Posts: 36 Member
    > @simmersizzler said:
    > I didn't know about the mod by Triplis, I'm definitely going to check that out because it is absolutely annoying for sims to climb that ladder so fast that it makes you wonder what you're doing wrong in real life lol! Thanks so much for answering that question, and I wish that there was actually a way for sims to simply spend more time at each level, though not too much time, and that they could possibly still have lots of different scenarios at work, like a normal career, as well as being able to continue in a career if they were to switch careers instead of starting over again (because that would mean using tweaks). Lots to think about, though the Triplis seems to resolve at least that unatural rapid skill gain!

unnatural** typo there!
  • peragogoperagogo Posts: 223 Member
    edited November 2019
    In addition to skill gain adjustments, MCCC has a setting under careers called Career_Difficulty_Adjustment to set the pace of promotions. You will have to set the flag for it though.

If you have different skill levels and Get Famous, sometimes you will get a call to join another career beyond the starter rank.

There have been mods to adjust the money earned from careers. I would have to check which one I had and whether it has been updated recently.