Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Teaching Career...... majorly dissappointed.

muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
The teaching career was one of the main reasons I waited for the university pack to come out, while hoping it would be added.... and finally... there it was... ready for my sim to dive into. Now I admit. A bit of my dissapointment is self inflicted. Because of the GTW pack I wasn't expecting all the rabbit holes. And to not even have a better grad ceremony option.... I mean come on right? But still, I was doing well to stay mostly positive.

I signed my sim up for the Psychology Degree (to become Professor), worked through the terms and earned an A+ (Honor) diploma. And then.... eagerly got my sim into the Professor career. What a useless journey.

For starters. Level 10 of the career only has my sim working 3 days a week. And.... I guess what they say IRL is true. Teachers don't get paid much.... because my sim, as a Professor, with an honor degree in psychology, only earns 2,238 per work day... for a total of 6,714 per week.

Now of course, I can tutor students online. And what a great plan that is. It takes 3 and 1/2 sim hours of online tutoring to earn.... wait for it..... 175 simoleans. Lets ignore the fact that I can catch 500 simoleans of fish in an hour, or find hundreds in trinkets on the Sulani beach, or.... simply create and sell 1 painting for well over 1000, again, in less time it takes to tutor students online for 175. (if it only took maybe an hour for the tutoring then I wouldn't really complain)

I figured maybe go to the Foxbury campus and tutor there instead of the online thing. NO. Don't do that. I started the tutoring at 10:47am. Finished at 3:54pm, and earned.... 90 simoleans. In short... stick to tutoring online if you're going to tutor at all.

The "write scholary paper", and "plan lecture" options (computer/career/educational career) do absolutely nothing except give you something like confidence boost for a few sim hours, and the teachers portfolio is only for grading student's homework which also does nothing except build the logic skill.

And... that's it. As a professor.... I get to work 3 days a week and earn a big paycheque of NOT even 7,000 simoleans for the whole week. If the professor was able to work 4 days a week, that would have been a bit better at 8,952. Then with some quick raises, and a few bonuses tossed in, it would have been easier to accept.

I'm hoping i'm missing something. That's its not as bad as i'm thinking. If I am, please point it out to me because currently..... I am absolutely majorly dissapointed at how empty, and a complete time waster the professor career is.

Comments

• MysteriousConcludeMysteriousConclude Posts: 352 Member
    To be honest, I would have prefered a career more like this. I graduated to become the lawyer branch, that is what excited me, but usually top careers only work a few days. Although with the lawyer it is Mon-Fri. Which I didn't mind because it had the work at home function. I figured that would be the best bet to use when the sims children were babies and toddlers, but even with that. My sim had to leave the lot to go to a lecture. Now, I know a few hours is technically better then all day. I just wanted to do more of a stay at home mom feel while retaining my career because the hubby hadn't graduated yet. I really ain't trying to complain I absolutely love the astectics.

Though now reading your post. I believe professor is the career for me!
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    What Maxis need to do now is give some real rewards for those reaching the top. Three day weeks, long vacations, or even a complete golf course with 9 to 18 holes, (something like Sid Meier's Sim Golf) into the packs as a hidden lot to aim for. I loved that little Sim golf game. Even a superyacht in Sulani's sea would be nice. That's what top execs, tend to do and get as perks.

I think their imaginations have shrunk since Sims 1 and 2.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    LDraconis wrote: »
    With the extra time, do what most professors do IRL? Write and sell textbooks on the side?

Also, put a microphone in the student commons building to perform book readings.
    It's more for immersion. The real money is in the books. My comedian sim wrote comedy books and had a group of alpha readers that she would perform readings for and would give copies of her latest book. I can see doing the same for a professor.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited November 2019
    Professors do a lot of things, they often do a combination of research and teaching. And research does often involve a lot of writing, it could also be projects they are doing together with other people, often other companies which they for example seek financing for. These projects could be huge and last multiple years. Famous professors often write their own course literature that they use for their own courses which they could be entirely responsible for, and they often have to update their courses over the years so that their courses will include new things.

If you would make this in the game, The "write scholarly paper", and "plan lecture" would not give you any money straight off, but would add to your performance and would give you money that you could use to do more research (not use for your own) , it would take months to complete and it could in the end increase your pay as you do more for your university.

So yeah, I don't know if Maxis maybe wanted you to write a lot of books to increase your pay.
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    Its not that I was expecting a lot from this pack, lets face it.... its sims 4. Its a game of rabbit holes, retitled scripts, and load screens.

As I hinted towards in my initial post; if the professor careeer had the sim working 4 days per week instead of just 3, and the tutoring only took about maybe 1 sim hour to earn 175, instead of 3 and 1/2..... then it would have been a lot easier to accept.

I know it's been many years since i've been inside a university but back when I attended the professors were much more active. Maybe not all of them. I have no idea what "all" of them were doing from one day to the next, but I know my economics professor (for example) worked 5 days a week teaching multiple classes at 2 different universities. And I do recall him mentioning the odd lecture.

I don't mind adding the odd idea to enhance my professor experience, but, at the same time, If I wanted to be a writer, I would have had my sim enter that career instead.

Its the same with my sim chef. I had her write the odd cookbook. I didn't mind doing that because she worked 4 days a week. She earned fair enough pay that the cookbook was more of an added bonus, not a resolve to a bad experience. Plus she could sell food using the stalls. Then there's the idea of running around collecting new recipies. The chef career, even before the university pack, seemed active enough with enough relating ideas to make it worth achieving.

Writing books as a professor doesn't seem like an added bonus. It seems like a resolve to fix a poor career that offers very little to do or achieve. It takes so long to tutor students with very little reward or incentive to do so. I haven't figured out yet how to offer lectures. We weren't given a podium like the politicians so we can't stand in the park and lecture the passerbys.

I'm working on addon ideas. I'm not ready to give up yet. I'm searching the build/buy for items or ideas I could maybe integrate into a professor activity/career. But, i'm still completely disappointed with the fact that I have to put this much effort into making the professor career interesting. I definately wasn't expecting this career to be so empty feeling.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I find the idea that a career is only the level 10 job, and everything before doesn't count, sorta weird tbh.

None of my sims actually have a level 10 job for that very reason: the work days are not enough for my taste, and playing these idle sims gets boring fast. Only really rich sims ever reach 8 or 9. I have to use MCCC to achieve that, but it's not a new problem.
  • TomatplanteTomatplante Posts: 2,793 Member
    With the extra time, do what most professors do IRL? Write and sell textbooks on the side?

Or if you have Jungle Adventure, have archaeology be one of their fields of research. Then they can go on field trips to Selvadorada and sell authenticated artifacts, which is quite profitable.
    What I find dissappointing is the lack of options. We have a whole Uni world. 2 universities, lots of students, and a professor career. But yet, the lack of options for the professor to interact with the students is what's frustrating.

All we were given with this career is the option to tutor, either online, or at the uni world itself. The online tutoring takes 3 and 1/2 hours, and the campus tutoring takes about 5 hours, which of course is a rabbit hole. By the time you complete either idea you have to spend another 2-3 sim hours fixing the sim's need bars. All for 175 simoleans. I can earn that much simply by checking the pockets of my sim's laundry.

Yes, I agree. I can put my imagination to work and force integrate some ideas into the professor career..... such as writing books. Or, I could buy the podium from the politician career and pretend to be lecturing students about degree courses outside of the commons building. I can even invite a friend over to visit, and concentrate on the "teach" option in the conversation tabs while pretending to be given one-on-one tutoring classes. Absolutely, I can do these things. But why should I have to?

Even the Computer Science degree offers the opportunity to .... not only work, but also build and sell robots. You could have your own robotic store, or sell them at fairs. Or keep them for added interactions, and activities.

The private lawyer career, as mentioned in this thread, works 5 days a week, has to attend lectures. The Culinary, Fine Arts, and Drama degrees each opens up loads of gameplay options.

Having the professor career as empty as it is.... a career that came with a whole world built around teaching and learning.... a world of classes full of students.... its just mind boggling that I, as stated previously, have to spend so much effort in trying to make this career more interesting.

Or if you have Jungle Adventure, have archaeology be one of their fields of research. Then they can go on field trips to Selvadorada and sell authenticated artifacts, which is quite profitable.

The archaeology idea sounds interesting. Though my career title is "Professor". It doesn't say... Professor of "what". Maybe I could work in an "Archaeology Professor" idea.

Thanks for the post. I'm going to give that some thought.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    None of the career rewards are exciting, for Education or any of the new DU careers. None of them have auras. I like to collect these over the generations, creating spaces that influence their moods to help with skills, so I’m disappointed about that.
  • Lindsmd113Lindsmd113 Posts: 196 Member
    edited November 2019
    My professors in college were all law professionals; police officers, probation officers, a criminologist who wrote books and offered commentary on true crime tv, and lawyers so it makes sense to me that they only teach a few days a week and spend their time in other professional ways
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    muzickmage wrote: »

The archaeology idea sounds interesting. Though my career title is "Professor". It doesn't say... Professor of "what". Maybe I could work in an "Archaeology Professor" idea.

Thanks for the post. I'm going to give that some thought.
    Indiana Jones sim anyone? ;)
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    Hehe, if You want to make money in TS4 don’t You dare go to regular work! Just buy „the money seed” and start to paint pictures. :disappointed:

I don’t have problem with poor teachers (in my country people who working in shops could get more money than teachers...). :(
    The problem is, that economics does not exist in ts4! Careers are so unbalanced that if you are focused on quick profit, you should not even waste time on regular work. Getting money is simply too easy (gardening, painting, floristry), there is no challenge. it's almost like using motherlode. It is a pity that they did not think it better and the prestige of being someone in a high position is the only reward the player will get.
    Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    Being a Professor would definitely be more interesting if also picking a subject to focus on. Also, careers that are not that well paid will often be of a personal interest, I guess many teachers in rel life one felt "the call" of starting that career. Selecting a subject would make it even more personal. A Professor in Botanic would naturally also grow a small garden - perhaps focusing on rare plants. Mind you that harvesting a single Perfect plant can give more than §500 *daily*. So what if your Professor grow 5 of those - as part of a project? Professor in History? Travel about, visit museums, pick up whatever collectibles you find on your way. Professor in Physiology? Pretend you have some duties at a gym nearby, mentor random sims, might even build a small office there.

Choose one subject from the Uni set up, pretend that is your Professor's main field, consider his/her personality and interests to get the package right :) I think it sounds fun exactly because it gives room for my own imaginary stuff and additional activities.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • LDraconisLDraconis Posts: 35 Member
    > @Tomatplante said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Or if you have Jungle Adventure, have archaeology be one of their fields of research. Then they can go on field trips to Selvadorada and sell authenticated artifacts, which is quite profitable.

> @muzickmage said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > The archaeology idea sounds interesting. Though my career title is "Professor". It doesn't say... Professor of "what". Maybe I could work in an "Archaeology Professor" idea.
    >
    > Thanks for the post. I'm going to give that some thought.

They can also take up music and write their own adventure theme music :D
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    ...careers that are not that well paid will often be of a personal interest, I guess many teachers in rel life one felt "the call" of starting that career.
    This is so true. So why didn’t we get an aspiration for it?

I really like your suggestions btw.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    edited November 2019
    Hmm....

In a way I like it, that you can play a sim who supports themselves strolling on the beach selling pretty seashells or having a cute garden. At the same time I was really irritated when I got all the simoleons I needed for Uni when looking for seashells. One rare Eye of Sulani and a few lesser ones. I don't know how to balance it.

You should still be able to have a good house on a fun decorated lot even if you did not grind the game-given careers. Earlier I felt that my sims had too much money so I kept them on the lower levels of each career. However, you should not be locked into playing a game-given careers if you only want to play sims running around the world and really think it is plum to play the 9-5 grind. Yet again, I don't know how to balance it.

I usually make little rules and restrictions for myself to make the game suit me. Like modding the bills to be higher and putting a food-kiosk at each public venue. When my sims go to a public lot like a park, gym or library they have to pay for some service sims. Maybe a bartender, a food-vendor or perhaps a guitar player. It is "taxes" for my little sims and a money-sink for me with fun gameplay added.

I'm used to making little stories about things happening to my sims so I don't remember being bothered about having more freetime. That is usually when I make a personal challenge for my sims, usually in the way of building. Hm... if it was my little sim I would probably make it a challenge to build a library that was perfect for my sims. Build a little, go there and visit a few times to get a feeling for the layout and see if works ingame and slowly getting it perfect.

I wish we could raise or lower the bills and paychecks in the settings
    Hm... I think I will just mod the bills to be higher. That will give my sims an incentive to get higher-paying jobs. It should also mean that the bits and bobs that I find around the map would be less worth in comparison to my sims paycheck so the job feels more relevant. If could you hike both bills and salaries up a bit in options then those who wishes the jobs to be more important could do so. Then the players who wants to play a sim who supports themselves by living in the woods selling pretty butterflies you can do so too.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited November 2019

I haven't purchased DU yet, but I have an old Sim that I created long ago, specifically for this exact purpose. He's currently self-employed as an "Archaeologist" but I assumed we would eventually get a teaching career, so my plan was always to make him a bit of an Indiana Jones character. So I'm not too worried about him making a lot of money as a professor, as he can still travel back to Selvadorada and scavenge artifacts to sell. Though I suppose if I wanted to make him a really accurate Indy, I would have him donate them to the school museum instead. So let's call him "Evil Indiana Jones" I guess. :D
  • SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    Earning that much money a week is so much more than what professors would actually earn. Working three days a week as a professor is normal (most professors work MWF or T/TH) and people have this misconception that they make bank but they're actually pretty underpaid.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited November 2019
    How about if you get to the top of one of the Physics career options you discover a new world to live in, so unlocking a new Newcrest (but different background) type empty world? That would be a perk and a welcome surprise! We need some real rewards for their research in different top courses and a reason for buying the pack too.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,950 Member
    edited November 2019
    I agree with many of the other simmers here. Working about 3 days a week sounds a bit right for a Professor. I haven’t got DU yet, but by reading what the other simmers have written it sounds like you could pretend to be a Professor oof something in many areas, Botany (12 perfect dragon plants inside will bring in quite a bit of money) as a Professor of Art you could paint and sell them on the side, an Archeologist Professor would have time to visit The Jungle to earn money (or find rare shells and such at the beach in Sulani). If he taught Music, he could busk on the side ( or in a lounge). Whatever was his area of study, he could write books in his Profession. If he taught Computer science he could program, make apps, etc. on the side, I had one Business Professor in college that had his own Partnership that made and sold Quiche ( not sure how much you can actually make setting food in the sims however, maybe you can make more selling rare food). It just seems like there are so many areas you could make money in if you were a Professor in that area. Of course I love the active careers that came in GTW. It would have been nice if they had made being a Professor an active career, possibly teaching University students. If you have GF, you might even be able to become a celebrity Professor.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    The actor career makes no money so I am not surprised teachers would not make any either. It is real shame that gardening, painting and writing makes so much more money than the careers. I thought University would give a boost in salary?? Is that the case??
  • AyrthwilAyrthwil Posts: 59 Member
    Really! I was very disappointed with my teaching career. I think I ended up creating a lot of expectations.
  • Tenchi2aTenchi2a Posts: 105 Member
    All the Teacher/Professor(s) I know spend most of their freetime working on their Masters/Doctorate Theseus.
    Seems to be a common thread that while they are doing this they work as Teacher/Professor(s).