Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have notifications changed for everyone and am I the only one that finds them annoying now?

Notifications used to just be "x commented on y" etc. without much extra info. Which was great. But now they actually show me almost the entire post? Both on desktop and on mobile. It makes it extremely annoying to scroll through, especially on mobile. I frankly don't need to see the entire message before clicking on the post link.

Am I alone in this? :(

Comments

• KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Notifications used to just be "x commented on y" etc. without much extra info. Which was great. But now they actually show me almost the entire post? Both on desktop and on mobile. It makes it extremely annoying to scroll through, especially on mobile. I frankly don't need to see the entire message before clicking on the post link.

Possibly. Some people want to see the message in notifications so that they don't have to go to a different program or click on a link to see what was said but can scroll past it without more work.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    KatAnubis wrote: »

Possibly. Some people want to see the message in notifications so that they don't have to go to a different program or click on a link to see what was said but can scroll past it without more work.

Yes on desktop I get that but on mobile it makes the pages super long :( It's really not pleasant scrolling through them like that. I kinda hope they can use a different format for mobile.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Yeah, I find it very cumbersome. I don't always want to see every single post in a thread I follow.
    #Team Occult
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member

Nope, not alone - so annoying! It now also makes it pointless to put people on 'Ignore' as you can also see their entire posts :angry:
    This has to be a bug @EA_Mai?
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited November 2019
    Whose doing is this? Why? It is horrible. It was well-arranged before. Now it is just... not. It is so annoying. What is the point now in actually clicking and seeing the posts in threads?

It is not that bad if it is just plain text but I have bookmarked "What happened in you game today" discussion and it is all about pictures. Many, many of them. It is unbearable to see 15 or more notifications and all of the pictures in there while I would like to also see if anyone mentioned me in another thread.
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
    Whose doing is this? Why? It is horrible. It was well-arranged before. Now it is just... not. It is so annoying. What is the point now in actually clicking and seeing the posts in threads?

It is not that bad if it is just plain text but I have bookmarked "What happened in you game today" discussion and it is all about pictures. Many, many of them. It is unbearable to see 15 or more notifications and all of the pictures in there while I would like to also see if anyone mentioned me in another thread.
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

Exactly!! Picture threads make me not want to look at the notifications at all anymore. It's ridiculous. If it at least gave you only a sneak peak of max 4 lines, fine, but we have to scroll past the entire post now :( I hope they change it back, I hate the notifications now.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Good. I thought this was just me. I'm not a fan of this change, would it be too much to ask for a toggle so those of us that don't want this feature can turn it off? Of course it is...
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I must be in the minority. I like seeing this on my page now.

sims-profile-page.jpg
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2019
    Certainly we all have very different forum usage patterns from each other here. And I can't stand the current Notifications structure either, it makes the page practically useless to me precisely because of the picture heavy posts now showing up there in their entirety.

What used to work the best for many of us was a short 1 or 2 line intro to each post on Notifications with a Details button that when clicked upon made the rest of the post open up and the rest of the page slide downwards. That was great because we could get so much more information about many Notifications at once before deciding if we wished to click through or open in a new browser tab at least on desktop browsers right away, perhaps later, or not at all. That feature got removed a couple of years ago (I think) and we were told that it cannot return so the button since then simply took us to the forum post itself.

But what we have now is not practical for many of us. I can have as many as 60 or even 100 Notifications when I log in. If 98 of them are filled with pretty pics that take up half a page or more and 2 of them are text only players requesting my assistance or input on something on various other threads, I'm never going to find the 2 text only ones and may as well just stop using the feature entirely. If we cannot have the prior Details slide-down feature back, could perhaps this new "show us all or nothing" setup be made user-optional?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Certainly we all have very different forum usage patterns from each other here. And I can't stand the current Notifications structure either, it makes the page practically useless to me precisely because of the picture heavy posts now showing up there in their entirety.

What used to work the best for many of us was a short 1 or 2 line intro to each post on Notifications with a Details button that when clicked upon made the rest of the post open up and the rest of the page slide downwards. That was great because we could get so much more information about many Notifications at once before deciding if we wished to click through or open in a new browser tab at least on desktop browsers right away, perhaps later, or not at all. That feature got removed a couple of years ago (I think) and we were told that it cannot return so the button since then simply took us to the forum post itself.

But what we have now is not practical for many of us. I can have as many as 60 or even 100 Notifications when I log in. If 98 of them are filled with pretty pics that take up half a page or more and 2 of them are text only players requesting my assistance or input on something on various other threads, I'm never going to find the 2 text only ones and may as well just stop using the feature entirely. If we cannot have the prior Details slide-down feature back, could perhaps this new "show us all or nothing" setup be made user-optional?

It's not the type of thing you want if you read the forum on a mobile phone. It must use a lot of your allowance if you aren't on Unlimited.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    I actually like them this way ._. it's handy to see who is talking about what and in what lengths

like before i had to jump into the actual discussions and then be like
    ''oh i ain't got time to be reading this rn and i won't remember to read it later because notif already checked out''
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
    igazor wrote: »

Yep exactly. now whenever I see 100s of notifications, I don't even open them anymore. I agree that having a little preview & the ability to see more would be absolutely perfect for me. Or just the way it was.
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    edited November 2019
    Thanks for the feedback on this change, good to know what is causing frustration and what you think about the new notifications page - keep sharing your thoughts as it's really useful! I'll discuss this with the team and explore our options. The Sims forums are a bit special when it comes to the amount of screenshots we share around here :)
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    It was much better the way it was before, no need to change it if you ask me.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited December 2019
    Wow. I never even noticed the difference until I read this thread. I'll have to experience it for a bit before I decide how I feel.

ETA: I don’t like it.
    Post edited by Chazzzy on
    EA_Mai wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback on this change, good to know what is causing frustration and what you think about the new notifications page - keep sharing your thoughts as it's really useful! I'll discuss this with the team and explore our options. The Sims forums are a bit special when it comes to the amount of screenshots we share around here :)

True that @ screenshots :) thanks for chiming in @EA_Mai, much appreciated. Happy weekend!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited January 2020
    Okay, now the Notifications page shows only the subject line of the thread we are being notified about and if someone paged us, but nothing else. Or at least that is what I am seeing on my end this evening. That's better, I guess, for some of us anyway since we won't be hit by a daily barrage of over 100 heavy screenshots with too many to scroll through, but there's no two-line preview of the text either like we used to have.

Might the changes here (or the changes back) still be a work in progress?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    edited January 2020
    Hurrah! I'm so glad it's back to the way it was! So much easier on the eyes and on the frustration level :D
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    edited January 2020
    Hey! Yes, I wanted to let you know about this: after taking into account your feedback we decided to revert the change. As mentioned above, we share more screenshots than usual in here, which translates as longer and heavier posts. You raised really good points when sharing your feedback, and I want to thank you all for that!

We might revisit/improve notifications again in the future, but until then we agree so long pages were not the best.
    Post edited by EA_Mai on
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    Thank you @EA_Mai for the update on this. I do like it better this way anyhow due to the amount of pictures that everyone shares and because of if, it took longer to look through all of the notifications. It made feel like there was no reason to go to the actual thread to read anything since everything was right on the notifications page.

So again, thank you for fixing it for us... :)
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    This is better! I'm sure I've missed stuff scrolling through that past nonsense. *shrugs* I'm glad to have it back to the way it was so thank you.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
    EA_Mai wrote: »
    Hey! Yes, I wanted to let you know about this: after taking into account your feedback we decided to revert the change. As mentioned above, we share more screenshots than usual in here, which translates as longer and heavier posts. You raised really good points when sharing your feedback, and I want to thank you all for that!

We might revisit/improve notifications again in the future, but until then we agree so long pages were not the best.

That's great news! :D Thanks for taking our feedback into account.

Have a nice day :)