Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University is driving me crazy!

kendallrankendallran Posts: 125 Member
It feels like I’m in the actual game attending university and it’s so frustrating! My sim only gets to bed at 4, she’s barely eating because she has to rush to do her work, and she’s barely meeting anyone or having fun because she’s so focused on her work! Not only this but because of her low needs it’s making her walk slow to class. And the npc roommates are so annoying because they’re barging in rooms that aren’t there’s just to use a computer or listen to radio! And when my sim is doing homework other sims keep coming over to talk with her and that’s slowing her down. I’m 3 seconds away from having her drop out! I guess they really took more challenges in the sims 4 to the next level

Comments

• Options
    Coley666Coley666 Posts: 119 Member
    My first try I went for four classes and one of the dorms. I gave up, it was a horrendous experience.
    On my second attempt I lived on campus but in a student house instead. I also took two/three classes each time and had a much more enjoyable experience.

(Use door locks to lock them out to stop them barging in)
    Sims Builder - Coley666
    jWIA95z.png
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice! I’m currently taking 3 classes and an extracurricular and I’m still ready to rip my hair out but maybe I’ll try 2 next time
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    I still don't own the game due to work overload, but I'm really glad they made it challenging! Without Mods the game feels too easy to me compared to The Sims 2 and The Sims 3, so this is a very positive surprise. You can buy a bike for your Sim to go to class with, I've seen in videos that it makes things move faster and they don't miss class easily. Also, if you have the Fitness SP installed, you can use earbuds so your Sim can listen to music whilst doing homework or working on a presentation, so her Fun Need goes up. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the EP despite the challenges!
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Living in a student house is great. Just stop aging and don't take so many classes at once.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    kendallran wrote: »
    It feels like I’m in the actual game attending university and it’s so frustrating! My sim only gets to bed at 4, she’s barely eating because she has to rush to do her work, and she’s barely meeting anyone or having fun because she’s so focused on her work! Not only this but because of her low needs it’s making her walk slow to class. And the npc roommates are so annoying because they’re barging in rooms that aren’t there’s just to use a computer or listen to radio! And when my sim is doing homework other sims keep coming over to talk with her and that’s slowing her down. I’m 3 seconds away from having her drop out! I guess they really took more challenges in the sims 4 to the next level

That was how it was for me playing Sims 2 University. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    I still don't own the game due to work overload, but I'm really glad they made it challenging! Without Mods the game feels too easy to me compared to The Sims 2 and The Sims 3, so this is a very positive surprise. You can buy a bike for your Sim to go to class with, I've seen in videos that it makes things move faster and they don't miss class easily. Also, if you have the Fitness SP installed, you can use earbuds so your Sim can listen to music whilst doing homework or working on a presentation, so her Fun Need goes up. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the EP despite the challenges!
    Thanks! I tried a bike but she didn’t automatically equip it, and I didn’t want to stop time just to take out a bike. Also the bikes sometimes get stuck and left in the same spot they were last equipped at for some reason.
  • Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited November 2019
    The issue mainly is the time factor to complete tasks. When it takes your sim over an hour to eat a bowl of cereal, or 30 minutes to walk down a flight of stairs, any interuptions to those tasks can really be taxing when your sim is on a tight time budget. Sims commnonly take over an hour just to shower. And don't even get me started on the minutes that fly by in between task commands when they are just standing there doing nothing while you wait for them to finally activate the next task in the queve.

Add to that the time management scheme of keeping your needs up to par. I had my sim's social down to a bit less than half. I used the microphone to tell jokes to raise her social and fun at the same time. It took nearly 5 sim hours to get her social bar back up to full. And that's with the microphone replenishing 2 arrows. By that time she was tired, and half starved. So I had her eat, then go to bed. By the time she woke back up she was a bit hungry again, her social need was down again a little, she needed a shower, and of course, by the end of fixing all of that, she was 10% on her way to needing more sleep.

Then EA/Maxis expect our sims to have 2 hours to do homework for each of 4 classes, plus term papers, presentations, research, time to go to classes, AND lets not forget the partying and relationship building. Lets all save time for that too.

Edit:
    .....(correction) Actually, it just took my sim just 4 sim minutes to walk up a flight of stairs. So I was wrong on the 30 minute claim.
    Post edited by muzickmage on
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Pro tip: create dorms with fewer beds overall (6 is a good maximum) & use the lock door feature. In your own room, you lock for everyone but you and your immediate roomie if you've got one, then do the same for all the other dorm rooms as well ("Lock for everyone" + "Unlock for [whatever sim actually sleeps in it]". This HUGELY helps the experience. Adding a cafeteria in your dorm also makes the experience more fun.

Second: take fewer classes. If you take only 1 or 2 you can party and go out etc. You can even do it with 3, but 4 definitely not. :)
  • Options
    Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Spellcasters have it made. Once you have the needs potion you can replenish your needs constantly. And Vampires should too. You have to watch the daylight though. For a regular human I would suggest a light course load.

Having said that my first university Sim is living at home and only taking two classes a term. Also grades are related to skill level. That's what you need to increase. Once you max out a skill Uni should become real easy.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited November 2019
    My advices:
    turn aging off
    take up to 2 classes
    lock the room
    lock the computer
    skill research & debate at least on lvl 6 (then your sim will do homeworks, presentations and essays way faster)
    keep some fruits in your sim's inventory as a first aid. hungry sim = annoying sim (that's me also)

(If you let your sim join robotics society and climb up the ladder your sim can earn extra point for villainy, physics and computer science. That means your sim will graduate earlier.)
    Post edited by DoloresGrey on
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    They pushed realism hard with this pack, didn‘t they? If you want to be an A+ student you can kiss sleep and parties goodbye.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Just started my first class with my sim, aimlessly searching the campus to find where the class is.... feels realistic.

I'm really liking it so far, so glad I took two classes!
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I just finished a term with 3 classes and an elective and it was really fun, more than I expected.
    My favorite part was that one full day of class, leaving home early to travel to the commons, attend the 2 morning classes, either grab a bite or cram more work in, then last class of the day, finishing just in time to maybe catch a lecture or an event.
    It was An Experience. Kinda wish every day could have 3 classes now.

Living off campus and physically traveling to uni before class makes the gameplay feel a lot more active. Highly recommend it.
  • Options
    georgia_1992georgia_1992 Posts: 4 New Member
    Great tips on listening to music while doing homework! Love the multitasking available in Sims 4.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    me rn in grad school
    Great tips on listening to music while doing homework! Love the multitasking available in Sims 4.

I also do this IRL. The right song can be invigorating for your mind
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    ksimmiesksimmies Posts: 77 Member
    edited November 2019
    It's pretty realistic. I find that the extracurricular is what is hard. Because I forget what skill they need lol and have to study last minute.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

Yep. The earbuds from the fitness stuff pack have been a godsend. My sim wears them while studying and they help a lot.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I am annoyed my sim has to take one more class to graduate because she failed her baking elective. Who fails baking.:joy:
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I read some feedback on here before trying it with a sim who started out failing high school so he had nowhere to go but up.

I started him with three classes one of which is an elective. It was a good fit though he might phase out the electives as he progresses. I think I'm getting a hang of it for him in the dorm. Try to get as much done as early as possible and then enjoy more later in the semester.

I followed the advice of having the semester overlap with a weekend. Having multiple playable students is a little tricky especially at first.

I like the chaos in the dorms because it seems realistic. I definitely lock the bedroom door though and I've been staking out the individual rooms so far.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    I managed to keep one sim as A+ for all classes for my 3rd sim attempt. She luckily had 8 logic from teen years and I quickly made her practice debate to lvl 5 while she waited for her application letter. When it arrived I applied during the weekend to make sure she had the weekend to do her homework early and start early in her presentation and on her research papers. She only had 3 classes each semester, so on the day she had one class she’d usually have time to do homework for the other 2. Luckily though she lived at home with her parents so I always had a parent ‘serve’ food to have a lot of leftovers. Definitely recommend reward traits, they’re very helpful. Will not try 4 classes in one semester for a while though😬😬😬, that’s overkill
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Getting ready for University.
    1. Make Vampires sun restistant.
    2. Have Spellcasters read all the magic books.
    3. Choose Hardly Hungry, Seldom Sleepy, Long Lived, Carefree, Shameless, Heatproof, Iceproof, Waterproof & Storm Chaser Traits for Sims.
    4. Maximize some skills, eg; Charisma, Handiness, Logic, Mischief & ResearchDebate.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Getting ready for University.
    1. Make Vampires sun restistant.
    2. Have Spellcasters read all the magic books.
    3. Choose Hardly Hungry, Seldom Sleepy, Long Lived, Carefree, Shameless, Heatproof, Iceproof, Waterproof & Storm Chaser Traits for Sims.
    4. Maximize some skills, eg; Charisma, Handiness, Logic, Mischief & ResearchDebate.

If one raises a sim from baby stage, by young adult, they should be well-skilled and have rewards points by the bucketload.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I love that you can adjust the difficulty by taking less or more classes.

My first go at it I had twins there and they took 3 classes and an elective each. It was hard! I loved it lol. But I did make sure to lock each dorm bedroom for the respective occupants only so the only rooms everyone had access to were bathroom and kitchen/living.

Any time my twins wanted peace and quiet they just went to their own room.

They both managed to get through the first term with a B+, I was so proud of them because i was expecting them to fail :D
  • Options
    MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    4 classes are ok for students with all the needs reducing top reward traits, or a 3-week supply of Potions of Plentiful Needs.
    Even with 2 classes I struggle to get A and have any kind of social life :)
  • Options
    poemetragurlpoemetragurl Posts: 17 Member
    My sim managed to get straight A's until she graduated. Here is my advice.
    1) Do your work right away. Look at the classes you have coming up and do those first.
    2) When writing your term paper or doing a presentation make sure you edit them until you get outstanding.
    3)Get to class early.
    4) Level up your research and debate skill to finish your homework faster
    5) Take 3 classes. No elective, unless you want a challenge.
    6) When in class TAKE NOTES. If you don't you might get a notification saying you could have tried harder.
    7) Chill and have fun.