Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Did Discover University Meet Your Expectations?

Comments

• Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Yes! Discover University exceeded my expectations!
    Although I haven’t played a ton I am in love with this expansion. I was a little uneasy since island living was a bit bland to me and I loved university in sims 3 it was easily in my top three packs for that iteration. I didn’t want it to be ruined and done poorly. Well sims team you knocked it out of the park. Way more content than I was expecting even after the dropped info and it is honestly a much needed challenge for the game. I like how much time management plays in here and how important skills have become for my teen sims to develop to get into a distinguished degree. Overall it’s a great pack and I can’t wait to keep exploring.

Also was anyone else floored at how amazing the CAS is?
  • DeathCoil13DeathCoil13 Posts: 36 Member
    Being completely honest I dreaded the University expansions for both Sim2 and Sims3. So when it was announced for Sims 4 I was rather excited to see how it would be different and see if it was something I would actually enjoy doing or repeating with later generations.

I loved it. I was super confused at first on how to actually get my sim there because it isn't an instant process but I thought that added a little flare to the point of actually applying. Each term I had my sim move so I could see how gameplay was different between dorm housing and living off campus. I feel like it was done really well and I enjoyed trying to crunch all the homework and end of term work balancing 4 classes per term so she could graduate right before her 'adult hood' birthday.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I love it so far except for the constant bugs when I try to save my games. I haven't been able to do as much as I'd hoped because I always have to start over. Grrrrr.

Oh no! That is not a normal bug or that would be top priority for a hotfix! Are you sure you don't have conflicting mods ? Try repairing too!
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    edited November 2019
    Discover University met my expectations.
    @fullspiral Nope, you sure don't! Check this out from Carl's Sim 4 Guides.
    Roommates
    Sims can have a roommate whether they attend university or not, by placing an ad. Multiple Sims will show up as applications, and you can select among them who you'd like to be a roommate. They will pay a portion of the household's bills each week. What they might not do, is clean up after themselves. Some roommates are hellish, while others are great to live with. They are added as a NPC to the household, meaning you won't have much (if any) control over their actions.
    https://carls-sims-4-guide.com/expansionpacks/discoveruniversity/

I really like having roommates. They add a random element of surprise to my sim's life, and I used the cas.fulleditmode cheat to completely revamp their appearances. I'm playing in a test save, so I don't have sims of my own populating the world, which means I've done a fair amount of sim editing with that lovely cheat. LOL My roomies need a certain flair! lol

I took this screenshot on a regular residential lot. It's under Household on the computer.
    091b9212fa7a7deace1e0ab8037c9abd6d694322.jpg
    Post edited by Ceres_Meiriona on
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    It's much more fun than I expected, especially since I had no desire for my Sim to live in a dorm or do anything social on campus. Being able to live off-campus and take just one or two classes is perfect for family-style play. Right now, I'm playing a single YA in a new save to explore the pack. I've had fun working toward his psychology degree, seeing what classes he's taking, and doing various things to improve his grades.

And that's just one major...still much to play and discover, not to mention three new careers. My parent Sims will have something to do while the kids and teens are at school. It's rejuvenated my game.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • LDraconisLDraconis Posts: 35 Member
    Discover University did NOT meet my expectations.

It is not completely horrible. The variety of degrees is good (although not that different from the already existent career system). Not seen any robots yet but optimistic on them.

My full list of issues is posted in the unified complaints thread (which people seem to be ignoring a lot lately).

University life though feels like a lot more micromanagement even than normal university life. Dorms feel impractical and unnatural. So far, I do not get any sense of any actual university life at all.
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    University has always been my favorite pack and while I have enjoyed this pack more than I thought I would, I can't get over the lack of greek life. Sororities and fraternities should have been added and new game play (like pledging) with it. The organization system could have easily accomplished this and a couple of big lots to create a greek row would have made the world feel more fleshed out and given players more freedom with the stories they want to tell. I don't want all of my sims to be on tiny lots or in the dorms.

But you can make your own sororities and fraternities. Especially if you have Get Together
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Considering I am not usually a fan of uni expansions, my expectations were that I would find it too easy and too boring and that the room-mate system would be plum.

I am surprised that none of that is true.

I had twins take 3 classes plus 1 elective each and found myself struggling to cope (which is great, as I do not like it too easy). There were plenty of things going on and I think the behaviour of the room-mates is the best of any iteration. They really got up to a lot of varied things which made the dorm seem properly alive.

The outfits, hair and build/buy stuff is great (although build/buy is, perhaps, a little sparse). I love the bikes. I love the uni worlds.

There are a few bugs and some small annoyances but, over all, I am happy to say that the pack rates well for me.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    Other than sims scattered in walking about on campus where they might seem pretty sparse. There's always a lot of sims at events that have come up every time I went to them. Was surprised to see so many sims to watch a debate in front of the yarn balled statue. :p
    NGkQ0W4.png
    5vJrxmT.png
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,166 Member
    i was looking forward to this but after taking my sim through the full time from start to graduation , i am hardly going to use it any more ,
    My sims went to foxbury and the hassle with bikes , getting to lessons on time , the screen view constantly jumping up to the top of buildings , rotten food constantly all over the dorms , sism coming up to talk to mine and unable to cancel them doing it , the soccer ball kick about not cancelling from the UI , the dazed moodlet being given every single time i tried to do anything on the robotics station have just all ruined it for me

I was looking forward to having something different to do but now i almost wish i hadnt bought the pack
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited November 2019
    somewhsome wrote: »
    2fab4uboo wrote: »
    I feel like TS4 fanbase has low to no expectations so I'm not at all surprised that this game met or exceed most people's expectations. This game is so buggy and missing so much (yes I compare this to the other university game because each pack should get better and have more) that I don't know how it could exceed expectations I guess that people are so used to watered down content at this point any thing looks good, I've got to give to EA there they know what their doing.

I think it's the best Uni pack, honestly. 🤷‍♀️ For me it's flexibility that matters, and with Discover University we can tell tons of different stories. Any sim can study and they don't have to abandon their current lives. We can build our own campuses and pretend it's a different Uni (almost like in TS2).
    I remember a lot of people were worried that TS4 Uni will be all about partying. Well, it's not. It's about studying hard. And I love it. It's so realistic and challenging, almost as realistic as toddlers 😅 (another thing that Sims 4 made better than previous games).

I agree. TS4 University is actually better - for me, personally - than TS3 University - I liked that pack, it just had too many things I hated in it to really make me enjoy it (sims being locked in the uni world, the mascot whenever you start a game, those social groups :angry:).

Also the customizability of this pack is G-R-E-A-T and so NOT what I ever expect for TS4. For once they've actually given us the tools to create our own experiences, our own dorms, our own roommates, working cafeterias in two different lots, etc. It's honestly very very nice for that alone.

I also think they were smart, for once, in not giving the roommate system away for free to everyone in a patch. They tend to do this so much with major pack features that people are like "uh sorry that didn't come in Seasons / GF / etc. but in a PATCH" - as if it wasn't inherently tied to the pack it was developed for and, more importantly, as if it hadn't taken any time to develop. As much as I appreciated it, I never felt they were doing themselves much of a favour with that model.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Other than sims scattered in walking about on campus where they might seem pretty sparse. There's always a lot of sims at events that have come up every time I went to them. Was surprised to see so many sims to watch a debate in front of the yarn balled statue. :p
    NGkQ0W4.png

You'd think that perhaps they could take the debate inside during the dead of winter.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »

You'd think that perhaps they could take the debate inside during the dead of winter.

How can a sim be ready in things like politics and a lawyer career if they let some potentially deadly freezing weather bother them. PSHHHH.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I didn't have any to begin with.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I LOVE THAT ROOM @Ceres_Meiriona !
  • lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    If I had not been told of the rabbit holes then this ep would had not met my expectations but since I had it was what I expected. It's very run of the mill and not the most ground breaking ep. I will say that I haven't been able to really get into it as my Sim has been swamped at uni. The world also feels a bit underwhelming too. I don't regret buying the game but there is a sense that it wasn't worth the money.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited November 2019
    The fact that we can pick two different universities and can live on or off campus to study is a great option. My sims just became parents, so one can study at home while caring for their son and take turns that way. I like that and how there is a bit of rivalry going on.

Also can roommates anywhere as long as you have a spare bed/room for them.

I wished we gotten some dating website or improved education for the younger sims; but as for the college life, they did great.

I guess I am the oddball that loves Island Living. It was not a disaster to me and didn't expect it. I mean mermaids and ocean versus homework?
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »

How can a sim be ready in things like politics and a lawyer career if they let some potentially deadly freezing weather bother them. PSHHHH.

I must have missed the episode of Boston Legal where James Spader argues before the appellate court outdoors in January.
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    I LOVE THAT ROOM @Ceres_Meiriona !

Aww, thank you, Popstarissa! It's a really old build of mine where my alien sim started his family after crash landing on sim earth. ;) It's always a joy to meet another simmer that enjoys industrial settings. Thank you!
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • barracuda1574barracuda1574 Posts: 115 Member
    I was really excited about a university pack, as the TS2 university was one of my favorites. Unfortunately, this one failed on multiple fronts. The most egregious is that it makes a rotational play all but impossible. There is also the ridiculous no computers or cooking in dorms. There is so much work crammed into the short timeframe of the term without time to do any extracurricular activities. The campus is so large that I travel by using the phone to go from my dorm to the commons because the loading screen takes an hour less sim time than my sim going over on foot. This was just a let-down for me, as a rotational player, I probably won't be using it much.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Met or exceeded.

My big wish for this pack was that it include an Education career track, and it does. So far, at least, I have yet to explore that.

All I have explored so far is my Sim's first term as a CompuSci major at Foxbury. There is tons more to do than I have had time to do. Then again, I am still learning the ropes and grades were my priority. A+ in both classes (no, I wasn't about to overload him).

But I also try to manage expectations. I check to see what features a pack does and does not support. I can't say specifically where my expectations were exceeded - although I am pursuing Computer Science and robotics, based on my Sim's history as a child and a teen, and that would not have been my own first pick.

I am pleased to see several majors in the Humanities, however - a cornerstone of higher learning. I still need to tabulate which degrees forward which careers, however - unless Carl's has already done so,

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Met to Exceeded also.. but I'll vote exceeded because I haven't even got through much of the content, but looking forward to going through it with different sims that have different goals when it comes to going to uni..
    I've been waiting for Uni since the game came out and had high hopes all along. It's very versatile for me (I do play with aging off and am in no rush). I've played with it in different ways with a few sims so far (still haven't gotten all the way through on any since I can't help but jump around my saves and start different students out). I really like the versatility of it and how it's merging into my normal game play so well.
    I was put off by the no stoves part in dorms, but since I put the food the roommates bring home away in the fridge there isn't as much problem with it as I initially thought. I'm enjoying room mates more than I thought I would also.
    I love the new inventory chest that you can put in your sims inventory SO much. Finally a place to store stuff you couldn't before and to help with organization for a pack rat! It's probably my favorite object in the game right now.
    It's going to take awhile for me to explore it and get through everything, but I'm having fun and don't find it repetitive at all.. probably because of the work involved in making sure they do what they need too to make the grade.
    I'm enjoying myself.. good times!
    egTcBMc.png
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I've been playing for some days, first group of 4 sims graduated and I'm now playing another group of 4 active sims in a dorm. Still, it feels like I only just got started. I think this pack is great, and I'm so glad I found a way to play it on rotation. The world is great, campus atmosphere is great, and there are several features also my non student homes can benefit from.

The only negative so far is that the studying feels a bit repeating after some time. I like how the setup with classes and presentations and term papers etc is set up, but it doesn't really matter what subjects you choose, the tasks are exactly the same. I wish at least the electives had something extra, one alternative way to do a project. Didn't play many of them yet though, so perhaps there is variation that I'm not yet aware of. But there is too little time for adding in extra personal interests, like a biology student could explore nature to collect or harvest stuff - that would not be possible because the repeated actions take all time.

Also - would like to have a couple more lots for community stuff. If you have additional packs, there are plenty of features that ought to be natural on a campus! Such as retail, cafes, dancing, gym, and a lot more.

Still, I'm having lots of fun (and frustrations). It's a good break from your everyday simming, with a challenge of time management that I do appreciate every now and then.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I finally was able to get off the bikes and play around with classes. Yes it met my expectations. I was never super interested in a uni pack and still it's not on my top list. Never understood the desperation for this pack.
    But it's amazing for people who want a university experience. And there are many uses I can get out of it, and I built a highschool in britechester lol so I'm definitely happy with it.

The only thing i don't like Is the design of foxbury. But that's just personal preference. Shame we cant do more world customization.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Yes, I believe so