Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't make a potion

I know this is a bug, so I wish someone has some idea, what I could do. I already tried resetting my spellcaster, but it didn't help.

The problem is, that my sims knows the recipe for the curse cleansing potion, and I'd like her to make it, to have in stock for her students. Also she has all the ingredients. But, when I click the option for her to brew it, nothing happens. It doesn't even show up on her task list. Any other potion she knows and has ingredients for works.

I think it may have something to do with the fact that I had her making it, when I saved a game, which left her standing around the next time I opened to game. In which point I decided the household should move, so the pot where she had been brewing it was left (or sold with the furniture) in the old house. I don't think there's way to get her to resume that potion anymore, so is there anything I can do, or do I just have to accept that she can no longer make it?

A mod free solution would be welcome.
01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

Comments

• Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Do you have a prior save? She may be broken for that potion, otherwise.

A drastic fix may be for her to take the Rite of Dissolution, wait out the cooldown (of however many Sim days it is) and re-become a Spellcaster from scratch.
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Do you have a prior save? She may be broken for that potion, otherwise.

A drastic fix may be for her to take the Rite of Dissolution, wait out the cooldown (of however many Sim days it is) and re-become a Spellcaster from scratch.

Thanks, I think I'll just leave her without that potion, because I don't want to go to an earlier save anymore. Also, she's close to the highest level of spellcaster, so I don't want to start over with her again.

• Options
    BrinnBrinn Posts: 327 Member
    edited September 2019
    It happened in my game when my sim began to create a potion and I canceled the action. When I tried to create the potion again it was available in the potions list, but when I choose it, nothing happened. Then I looked in the sim's inventory and I saw no apple (it was already spent). Everything was OK after I've bought a pack of new apples.
  • Options
    Brinn wrote: »
    It happened in my game when my sim began to create a potion and I canceled the action. When I tried to create the potion again it was available in the potions list, but when I choose it, nothing happened. Then I looked in the sim's inventory and I saw no apple (it was already spent). Everything was OK after I've bought a pack of new apples.

But did the potion on the list show as if your sim had all the ingredients? Because I checked my sim's inventory, and she had all of them, well I'd put the fish in a fish tank, and it showed she didn't have it, but after I took it back into her inventory, she did. And it still didn't work.

Well, I actually decided to go back to the save, where the household hadn't moved yet, and now she finished making the potion, and is able to make it in her new house, too. Luckily I didn't lose much game play, since the one day I'd played since the move, I'd just spent trying to get her to make the potion in different locations.

• Options
    BrinnBrinn Posts: 327 Member
    kati77 wrote: »
    But did the potion on the list show as if your sim had all the ingredients? Because I checked my sim's inventory, and she had all of them, well I'd put the fish in a fish tank, and it showed she didn't have it, but after I took it back into her inventory, she did. And it still didn't work.

Yes, it was on the list like my sim had all the ingredients. Luckily, this bug went no further and I was able to brew a potion after purchasing some apples.

Restarting the game and opening the neighborhood editor is very glitchy in TS4. Better not saving while your sims are in the middle of something.
  • Options
    Brinn wrote: »
    Restarting the game and opening the neighborhood editor is very glitchy in TS4. Better not saving while your sims are in the middle of something.

I think I learned that now.

• Options
    ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    Having the same issue with my main and the Potion of Immortality, and just that potion. I've saved too many times since then to want to go back to it, so if I need more I'll just copypasto the sample (...and save beforehand in case it blows up). It is very odd, though!
  • Options
    DoomBotCandyGirlDoomBotCandyGirl Posts: 1 New Member
    Same for me but I found out its anything that has ingredients like food too!
  • Options
    Sh0wtig3rSh0wtig3r Posts: 78 Member
    I haven't had issues with the potions yet so if you figure it out please let me know incase it happens in the future!
  • Options
    ryttu3k wrote: »
    Having the same issue with my main and the Potion of Immortality, and just that potion. I've saved too many times since then to want to go back to it, so if I need more I'll just copypasto the sample (...and save beforehand in case it blows up). It is very odd, though!

How do you copypaste it?

• Options
    ryttu3kryttu3k Posts: 1,148 Member
    kati77 wrote: »
    ryttu3k wrote: »

How do you copypaste it?

It's one of the Practical spells! You learn it at Adept level. You can use Repario (Practical spell, Apprentice level) to boost the quality of the free sample you get, then use Copypasto to duplicate it. Definitely save beforehand in case it backfires, though, which can destroy the sample.
  • Options
    Oh, I wonder why I haven't learned that spell yet, my spellcaster is a virtuoso already! But I guess she'll have to keep practising.

• Options
    112061112061 Posts: 273 Member
    me too, the first potion in the list, i click on it and nothing happens
  • Options
    JPSimonettiJPSimonetti Posts: 23 Member
    edited November 2019
    I had this issue (ingredients in stock, click 'Brew Potion', selected potion, but the action wasn't added to queue and the sim never moved). I believe the cause was saving the game mid-brewing, then restarting the game. I also edited this sim in "Manage Worlds / Edit Household" after starting the game back up, but before reloading her actual house which might have been a factor (who knows?) ...

Anyway, this is what worked for me. I removed the ingredients from the sim's inventory and put them in a chest, then clicked 'Brew Potion' again just to look at the list (no brew option since no ingredients). Then I 'Experimented' on the cauldron for a few seconds to see if that worked (it did). Then I made some Chili in it, because why not? Then I retrieved my potion ingredients from the chest and the Brewing action worked correctly after all that. The action was added to the queue, and my sim successfully created the potion. I don't know what actually fixed it, so I listed everything I did.

I know this is an older thread, but it was at the top of the Google search so I think it's important that helpful info goes into it. Best of luck.
  • Options
    hermionegranger44hermionegranger44 Posts: 1 New Member
    I had the issue where the potion was clickable and showed that I had all ingredients, but after clicking it, it never showed up in queue. Then after checking my (very full) inventory I realized I was actually missing one of the ingredients! After adding that it worked fine.
  • Options
    SeriousarcasmSeriousarcasm Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi!!!!!! So i had this bug aswell! on two potions ( Plentiful needs and good fortune) and what i did was I reset and debugged my sim AND my cauldron then went to the magical realm and tried to brew it on one of those cauldrons and it worked for me!.