Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dorm Layouts

Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
Does anyone else find the dorm layouts strange? I'm in Drake Hall at the moment and I can't stand the way the bathroom is in the middle of an open plan area. I also I keep trying to make my sim watch tv whilst eating the free food brought by her roommates, and she just won't do it. She'd rather sit at a desk! I think I will have to try making dorms myself, with a better layout, because this is just weird! I want proper sitting rooms and dining rooms, and study rooms. Also, single occupancy bedrooms!

I am enjoying the pack, but the dorm layout is weird to me! I haven't looked at the other dorms very much, to be honest. Are any of them laid out any better?
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.

Comments

• Coley666Coley666 Posts: 119 Member
    Yeah, some of the dorms frustrate me greatly, also Foxbury Commons (SO MUCH WASTED SPACE) but I tend to rebuild everything anyway.
    Sims Builder - Coley666
    jWIA95z.png
  • simstr0ngsimstr0ng Posts: 679 Member
    All original layouts are strange to me. I am constantly redoing houses, etc.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I don’t like the layouts of the Britechester dorms, either. The Foxbury dorms are laid out better IMO. I just wish we had a world editing tool to make the Foxbury campus easier to walk across.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    Does anyone else find the dorm layouts strange? I'm in Drake Hall at the moment and I can't stand the way the bathroom is in the middle of an open plan area. I also I keep trying to make my sim watch tv whilst eating the free food brought by her roommates, and she just won't do it. She'd rather sit at a desk! I think I will have to try making dorms myself, with a better layout, because this is just weird! I want proper sitting rooms and dining rooms, and study rooms. Also, single occupancy bedrooms!

I am enjoying the pack, but the dorm layout is weird to me! I haven't looked at the other dorms very much, to be honest. Are any of them laid out any better?

That bothered me too as I watched the Game Changer videos.
    I still don't like it. The elevator bothers me too because it cuts down on your awarness of other sims coming and going.
    They just teleport into the center of the space and you might not notice.

When I get around to redesigning them, I will put the elevator near the exterior wall and give sims a corridor to walk down so it is obvious who is coming and going. The bathrooms will be place next to it so they are away the center of the room and I can have a nice common area.
    I will also have two levels, a study and activity area on the lower level and bedrooms on the upper level.

I am currently finishing up my custom dorm and will be testing it today.
    I am really curious as to how sims will behave in it.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,183 Member
    I am more perplexed over the open shower thing in one of the Brightchester's dorms. One of my tester Sims got embarrassed because one of her housemates walked in on her but she really has no other choice. And the appearance of the food in bathroom. At least it seem to appear there because Sims walk out of there with the food in their hands. Icky anyone?!

But free food does make up for the lack of communal fridge and/or a cafeteria.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Good idea @ck213! It is pretty annoying that the elevator blocks the view of any visitors that love the pop-in.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    I'm thankful I'm not alone in my concerns.
  • simstr0ngsimstr0ng Posts: 679 Member
    @Mariefoxprice83 - you are not alone. I spent some time today looking at the 2 dorms and the bar - I made some changes. Have not sent anyone to the university yet.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    I didn't play or build today because I desperately wanted to write but I am going to have a go at designing a dorm in the week if I can.
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,096 Member
    Stina1701A wrote: »
    I am more perplexed over the open shower thing in one of the Brightchester's dorms. One of my tester Sims got embarrassed because one of her housemates walked in on her but she really has no other choice. And the appearance of the food in bathroom. At least it seem to appear there because Sims walk out of there with the food in their hands. Icky anyone?!

But free food does make up for the lack of communal fridge and/or a cafeteria.

I put open showers in my dorm and didn't have an embarrassing moodlet
  • under_sun_and_skyunder_sun_and_sky Posts: 96 Member
    the first thing i did when moving my sim to a dorm was go to the gallery and download another one. personally i think they did a better job with builds this time around but they're still...yeah.
    tumblr_pg992c6rBP1r42s8uo1_400.gifv