Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't afford a house after graduation...

How can a graduated sim afford a house after paying off what they been living with? Isn't this something that game dev needs to take a look into?

Cheats are my only way around it!

Comments

• DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    You mean to tell me that a sim loses more money than they gain, despite the starting bonus when they have a new career?
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    @Dijktafone no I meant as in my sim has just graduated and had to move out of the university dorm with a household fund of 4,500. I couldn't afford any liveable lot with that sum!

I wish I was able to keep the house I had before moving to university and still return home in that same house
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Can't sims on their spare time get to a easel and start painting to make §§§ while in an inspired mood after researching art on a computer?
    edited November 2019
    So you had a house, then how come you only had 4500 simoleons? As I assume the game prompted you to sell your house before moving to the dorm, right?
  • sixdeadqueenssixdeadqueens Posts: 225 Member
    Cheap apartment in SM and an art easel to save quick cash! That's what I'll do if I am broke for awhile after. (I like playing without cheats).
    Hoverael wrote: »
    Can't sims on their spare time get to a easel and start painting to make §§§ while in an inspired mood after researching art on a computer?

Yes I was thinking about that too, however, the game should provide a solution of rehousing after graduation, free of external moneymakers.
    edited November 2019
    Dijktafone wrote: »

Yes I was thinking about that too, however, the game should provide a solution of rehousing after graduation, free of external moneymakers.

I was just checking San Myshuno apartments as an option to start with. place your sim on an empty lot, go to manage world, get into the build mode of a cheap apartment in San Myshuno, bulldoze it, go out and then back into your sim. move house to the apartment. simply place the basics:

A shower, wash basin, toilet, fridge, bed and computer. that will post you near §4,000.

I was just checking San Myshuno apartments as an option to start with. place your sim on an empty lot, go to manage world, get into the build mode of a cheap apartment in San Myshuno, bulldoze it, go out and then back into your sim. move house to the apartment. simply place the basics:

A shower, wash basin, toilet, fridge, bed and computer. that will post you near §4,000.

Yes but this is a workaroud. The picture is as follows. A sim goes to uni, gets graduated, maybe even with honors, and yet can't afford a starter lot. Because, not all DU users have necessarely access to San Myshuno. In my book, this is preposterous. At exit, I feel as though you should at least have: starting funds+job enrolment bonus, which is about 20 000§

I just work it around by setting my family funds to a "starter" fund then just build it from there as careers do give out good pay once you are graduated!
  • gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 190 Member
    Wow! They really pushed the realism then! Pretty soon in certain areas, one won't even be able to afford to rent-a-room.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited November 2019
    This is very realistic. I guess you'll have to start with an apartment if you are opposed to cheating. With the boosts you get in careers, maybe you'll be able to afford a decent starter home after a bit?
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    @Dijktafone no I meant as in my sim has just graduated and had to move out of the university dorm with a household fund of 4,500. I couldn't afford any liveable lot with that sum!

I wish I was able to keep the house I had before moving to university and still return home in that same house

You could have kept the house and attended uni there if you wanted.
    edited November 2019
    I attended it with over 800k § personally. It's more about those who want to attend with a fresh sim.
    [Edit]Oh I see, a missquote, my bad.
    Quite honestly any sim that goes to college or university should have bills backing up worse than people eating spoiled food running for the toilet every 5 minutes. Part of having a realism approach is getting yet another loan to get a starter home and paying additional bills a week to help pay off the debts, and those should be hefty enough, after all no good deed ever goes unpunished. you'd be required to suppliment your regular income with extra income, it would be that hefty in bills.

But there should also be an option where a sim could sponsor you and move you into their household, but you'd have no control over the household members, just your own sim. you'd pay bills but at a reduced rate as they help offset that and help pay off part of your debt.

You are given pre-made room that can't be adjusted at first, but when you help pay your way and prove to the household you can be a good investment to them, you'll eventually have one of the household members come up and say that they'll allow you to make changes to your room as a pop up in a speech mark with a avatar of themselves. Eventually you'll clear your books and have a great paying job or used easy money makers on the side to help, either way, when you reach §20k in the clear, you are kicked out and the household sells your stuff for themselves and restores the original layout. you'll have to make your own way from there.

You'll keep ythe friendships you built, but you'll be limited on purpose to 50% friendship and unable to form relationships in order to keep from seducing the daughter or son of the sim to worm your way into their good books to pay off your debts just like that and use the one you seduced as a sort of hostage by love.
    musteni wrote: »

You could have kept the house and attended uni there if you wanted.

Then I wouldn't enjoy the proper university experience :D
  • VodkaVodka Posts: 25 Member
    Idk how people are saying there is no workaround if you don’t own CL like you can’t move into other households and now control how much you can transfer funds out when u move out the sim.......because that’s an option? It’s pretty realistic to have no money when ur done school let alone afford a whole 🐸🐸🐸🐸 house and that 20 grand you got thats gone is like how much school was which again is pretty realistice.

TL;DR move into another household, work and save up money, move out and take ur desired amount of funds with u
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    Luckily, all sims I sent to university, have a house or apartment to return to.

One solution might be looking for existing households with room for one sim more. At least some of the premade households have spare beds.
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    $4,500 is plenty of money for a Sim to start off with. With that much money, you could have built a very basic starter on one of the less expensive lots. Surely the Sim learned some skill while at college that they could have used to start making money - like painting, for example. Gardening is also a good source of income. But, I see that you already solved the problem by adjusting their household funds. I, for one, hope the devs leave this aspect alone because I think it should be difficult for a Sim starting out after they graduate.
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    It seems quite appropriate for your sim to move back home into their parents basement until they can afford to buy a house.
    Monaveil wrote: »
    $4,500 is plenty of money for a Sim to start off with. With that much money, you could have built a very basic starter on one of the less expensive lots. Surely the Sim learned some skill while at college that they could have used to start making money - like painting, for example. Gardening is also a good source of income. But, I see that you already solved the problem by adjusting their household funds. I, for one, hope the devs leave this aspect alone because I think it should be difficult for a Sim starting out after they graduate.

Without CL, §4,500 is barely enough to get a wall, roof and everything else you need to start off with, even on a tiny lot like Crick Cabana, Singleton Streamlet or Nookstone. even the basic house with nothing inside costs far more than what you start with. so you'll have to build your own on the smallest cheapest lot available (which usually costs §1,500), get the above as mentioned, no computer or easel. that is with the cheapest stuff you can get (the mod pod sleeper being the exception as the anti-goblin bed isn't made for adults to sleep on).

BTW i just created a 4x4 house for a post-graduate, as i'm poking fun at the situation, i'm gonna upload it when i post this message.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    gnelso1239 wrote: »
    Wow! They really pushed the realism then! Pretty soon in certain areas, one won't even be able to afford to rent-a-room.

That's what I was thinking. Now, all your Sim needs is a just-above-minimum wage job not remotely related to the degree he took, and a loan collector calling to ask what he's spending 'all his money' on.

This will make the realists happy...for me, there will always be 'motherlode'.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    edited November 2019

That's too late now. As stated in another debate, one way around is moving a random sim in before moving to university, and decide afterwards whether that sim should stay or leave once you need to move back.

For instance, a sim called Teulia Turei moved into the apartment of Karaoke Legends before Miko Ojo and Akira Kibo went to university.
    19_11_10.png

Darling Walsh moved out long ago and lives in Brindleton Bay now.

If you have City Living, the Lobo and Rasoya households of San Myshuno probably have room for a sim more, by the way.
    The Roswell household of Strangerville has plenty of room, too. I am not sure about the other worlds.

Edit II: I moved more sims into the mentioned and other premade households.

The Roswell household has four or five beds but only two residents.

The Lobo household looks like this after a new female sim moved in and some changes were made.
    19_11_11.png

Lobo is sitting at the computer to the right and the new female sim is watching tv to the left. I think there are plenty of room for two sims in that apartment. :smile:

Post edited by BoergeAarg61 on
  • CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    Luckily, all sims I sent to university, have a house or apartment to return to.

One solution might be looking for existing households with room for one sim more. At least some of the premade households have spare beds.

That actually sounds like an interesting scenario to live among the premades while your sim earns enough to but his/her own house.