Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Did Discover University Meet Your Expectations?

funny-gifs20.gif

Did Discover University Meet Your Expectations? 167 votes

Yes! Discover University exceeded my expectations!
43%
Akl500Pbshag4lvalan650111IceyJlakireyouilivefor92Mi9shaoscarWritin_Regsennawalesbabajaynevessmeelanorbretoninvisiblgirlcchant86Aeroprincess87JnyxMoon_Willowalanmichael1DeathCoil13smurf45blue 72 votes
Discover University met my expectations.
35%
JeanDerellaKita5399IcewolfSimmervilleaprilrosedavidp0418aelias24starrling33PlayerSinger2010danacnbrettAlrynnsimm621asimbsimjcs7219DijktafoneMariefoxprice83simgirl1010gingsnapdirtandpretty 59 votes
Discover University did NOT meet my expectations.
19%
julienrob2004Mstybl95mischiefluverAlexaimcorralIsa_Menezesmock68barracuda1574mjalletHeavensent2010hotkakiLDraconiswormstache999becks1112bizuktagSiliCloneKayeStarHausOfSuperSteve Stormcosta09 33 votes
Other
1%
sam123migitpoo73SavorySage 3 votes

Comments

• Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I'll be honest, I didn't pay attention to any of the news leading up to the release. I simply went in with prior knowledge of the previous university games.

First, without much experience playing, I couldn't figure out how to actually get my Sims to school. I had to create a thread here just to figure it out. My daughter later pointed out that I could have visited the campus for instructions, but I hate loading screens so I never leave my lot.

Then I had a household with 4 people I wanted to send to school. I had to enroll for each of them and then one by one, send them to school so they could attend together. One by one. Why can't I just select the Sims I want to attend all at once? I do appreciate being able to stay at home, though, but the whole living in dorms experience is very lost if you do that. I did move after the first term, which again...one by one...because not being able to add computers to the dorm was ridiculous.

And all in all, they mailed what it's like to go to school...which I didn't like enough that I don't ever want to do it again. Haha...I didn't like playing this at all. It's like the daycare job in TS3, I need a vacation from the game after going through all that.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I didn't pay attention to any of the news leading up to the release. I simply went in with prior knowledge of the previous university games.

Yeah, since The Sims 4 doesn't really have tutorials I feel like it's probably best to get at least some basic knowledge about the pack, even if you've played other versions before.

I'm sorry if was so bad for you before, I hear it's a great pack though.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    It has quickly eclipsed even the mighty Sims 2 University as my favorite iteration of the pack. Well done.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,774 Member
    Cannot vote, as I do not have the pack.

But I am curious to hear from all who took the "Discover University met my expectations" - option :)

As it can be both, positive or negative, depends of what the expectations originally were :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I have to give it to the Sims 4 team for this one! This is by far the most CHALLENGING of all the expansion packs! That is a GREAT thing. I don't know how many times I've seen complaints for how easy the game is and I often was one of those people. It also thought out every single skill as majors and scholarships and classes offered. This attention to detail is refreshing. University's features are bolstering other aspects of the game too. Kudos to the team. I definitely rank this pack up there with Seasons and Get Famous with the great gameplay it offers me! It definitely exceeded my expectations because I honestly didn't have high hopes after the lackluster Strangerville and Island Living. Realm of Magic was a slight step up but it painfully missed some extra spells and alchemy potions. University just ended 2019 with a bang for Sims 4! :)
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    It has quickly eclipsed even the mighty Sims 2 University as my favorite iteration of the pack. Well done.

I always enjoyed Sims 3 University a bit more. However, now that I think of it, I only took a few students through university in both Sims 2 and 3's versions. I actually thought Sims 2's overall experience at university was dull and preferred the new objects that it came with. However, with the new version, I keep planning the multitude of Sims I will have partake in university because of this pack's VERSATILITY. The way all worlds are linked and can freely attend school from a home lot is a game changer! This pack truly adds a lot to the game.
  • ksimmiesksimmies Posts: 77 Member
    Sims 2 Uni was my absolute favorite and this is essentially that, but a bit better. It met mine. I like the challenge of classes, clubs, part time jobs and so on. You can be a single mom/dad going to college. Grandma can go to college. I feel like there's a lot of potential for different stories for your sims.
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I'm enjoying it even more than I knew I would
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited November 2019
    I had no expectations, and it delivered bullseye! An university crawling with randomly-generated townies (crimson red flag for me), A not-so-challenging-but-such-a-grind degree, lost my home to move there; also my job (TY career hopper for allowing me a quick recover), where I went from 'Angel Investor +28' to 'bench warmer' or something in the local soccer team; Oh and my sim who desperately wants to use his laptop on a picnic table... but can't pick it back up...
    On a positive, I guess it was kinda fresh to see some familiar faces, aka the merfolk, being students, but honestly, after that grind of a degree, I felt my sim accomplished litteraly nothing, that I would better had stayed home and start in the law, as it would have been more efficient and less isolated.
    Anyways, I for one, am disappointed by the whole university experience, but I guess I can use some cas, some robots and explore the new careers. And while I'm happy that the pack recived a very positive reception, that simmers around here seem to enjoy it a whole lot, sadly for me, especially after having played TS2 mere months ago... this isn't my cup of tea.
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    I wasn’t expecting it to be so difficult. :lol: When they said you had to manage your sim’s time, it was no joke! Having classes and being in a sports team is really time consuming. I barely had any time for my sim to socialize. So true to real life 🤣
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    As alan stated so well, this is probably one of my all time favorites even moreso than supernaturals.*gasp* In fact he's the one who advised me on how to even begin, lol. I love that this kept me up until 3 AM trying to get my sim to finish his term paper...we were both sleepy, lol.

Again, the pack is so detailed that you really have to keep on your toes to make sure your sim gets everything done. Thanks to EA/Maxis to make a great pack I can see me playing many times over to make sure I didn't miss anything. Oh, and is there anyone in Foxbury who isn't studying villiany?? :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,414 Member
    After the beautiful mess that is IL, my expectations were low. Like 'sims can go to university and lead the same ol boring lives while getting one of 3 degrees' low. However my sim just moved off to University and I've been highly impressed.

This pack is what I'd expect from an EP. There's lots of little details that make it so worthwhile. Like not getting an acceptance letter right away and having to wait 3 days to see if you got accepted, having to apply for scholarships and not always getting them all, and the little cry she did when she didn't get accepted into any distinguished degrees. I love it all!
  • BradyGalaxyBradyGalaxy Posts: 306 Member
    I really kept my expectations low, and I'm sure everyone else did too after the Island Living disaster. I wouldn't have been surprised if EA just made university a whole rabbit hole. Okay, that was an over exaggeration. Overall, I just thought that University would be boring. But I have been totally surprised!

They nailed the University vibes! Although I haven't been to university/college (not old enough), this is what I imagine it would be like. One day, you're partying at the bar with your friends, playing juice pong, watching movies, and having drinks. And the next day, you're staying up till 2AM trying to finish your projects and homework, sleep deprived and hungry, for the class you have at 8AM! Dorm life is really great I must say. You get a lot of strange people, also cramming in work, but that's the fun of it! Build mode and CAS items are amazing! Not a lot of CAS, but what they brought to the table was really, really good!

So yes, Discover University exceeded my expectations.
    Proud simmer
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    I chose met my expectations because I feel like it's a solid pack. I'm not in love with it, but I don't hate it either. It adds some really nice game play that is useful and versatile, and I really like it when packs do that.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Bikes🚴‍♀️🚴‍♀️🚴‍♀️🚴‍♀️🚴‍♀️ I know..... it's the only thing I ever have to say about the pack but I'm a simple minded creature. 🥴
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I chose met my expectations because I feel like it's a solid pack. I'm not in love with it, but I don't hate it either. It adds some really nice game play that is useful and versatile, and I really like it when packs do that.

How is it versatile? This is something I want to know. I don't see how it is useable outside the Uni experience.
  • pinkparkapinkparka Posts: 45 Member
    Discover university is my dream Sims college pack. The CAS, the difficulty, the range of university experiences your sim could have - there literally isn’t anything else I could’ve asked for. It was definitely worth the wait!
    tumblr_o9fscfKSXN1s3wumuo1_540.gif
    "But these aren’t just stories. They’re whole kingdoms. They’re worlds. They’re perspectives and opinions you can’t offer, from lives you haven’t lived.” -Melissa de la Cruz
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited November 2019
    I think the overall feeling I get is that they wanted to make a good university experience but they cannot redo the core functions of the game so things feel very...strange and limited in some cases.

I think they did well in some parts, like the challenge and time management, but other parts, like the odd ways you keep track of your tasks, with a daily task and a weekly task...it feels like they took the way careers are working in the game and used the same interface.

The pack met my expectations in some areas, even exceeded them in some other areas like robotics, but overall I feel that I am playing part-time careers in a student environment.

edited November 2019
    fullspiral wrote: »

How is it versatile? This is something I want to know. I don't see how it is useable outside the Uni experience.

Firstly, every skill in the game is covered in University so you truly are building the shape of your character for their whole lives by going there. Every class that surrounds a certain topic, such as violin, they will gain as they do the coursework for that course and so forth. They literally encompass every single skill across base game and packs! Also, the roomie system is in every world and that is extremely versatile. Not to mention once you graduate you have higher access to careers and moneys so your sim definitely will have a life with higher financial stability. It definitely covers the most besides Seasons for touching onto many aspects of your Sims' life! You also can use all the objects such as robotics and bikes wherever you'd like.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »

Firstly, every skill in the game is covered in University so you truly are building the shape of your character for their whole lives by going there. Every class that surrounds a certain topic, such as violin, they will gain as they do the coursework for that course and so forth. They literally encompass every single skill across base game and packs! Also, the roomie system is in every world and that is extremely versatile. Not to mention once you graduate you have higher access to careers and moneys so your sim definitely will have a life with higher financial stability. It definitely covers the most besides Seasons for touching onto many aspects of your Sims' life! You also can use all the objects such as robotics and bikes wherever you'd like.

So every skill already builds and shapes my character without Uni. But to be quite frank, there's NOTHING in this game that shapes any character on any level. My sim can practice violin at home and pretty much end up the same as they did after enrolling in a course for credit.

Careers are already easy enough and money is easy enough. I'm just not seeing the need for Uni. I guess.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited November 2019
    alan650111 wrote: »

So every skill already builds and shapes my character without Uni. But to be quite frank, there's NOTHING in this game that shapes any character on any level. My sim can practice violin at home and pretty much end up the same as they did after enrolling in a course for credit.

Careers are already easy enough and money is easy enough. I'm just not seeing the need for Uni. I guess.
    Actually I love the electives the electives have though they are based on packs you have like my sim is learning the Salvadoran Culture as an elective.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Winifred_WillowWinifred_Willow Posts: 423 Member
    I like the pack well enough. The areas are pretty and things run pretty smooth although there were a few times my PC got a little fussy but I think that was when the game was trying to generate new townies. I'm not crazy about how the class schedules have been implemented. I wish they had them more geared for the calendar than the work tab, if that makes sense. I also am not a fan of the fact that your sim won't automatically pick up their laptop if they set it down and use it somewhere other than their home. As far as the game generating terribly dressed townies, I fixed this issue by going into MCC and initiating the option for the game to draw from my games bin of saved sims in the MC Population settings. All in all, it's a nice pack.
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    edited November 2019
    My sim worked her butt off and then died a few hours before term ended. I already had low expectations in the first place though. I'm probably never sending my sims to uni again because it was really stressful.
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member

Hi Fullspiral! The roommate system is the primary versatile asset I was referencing. You can use that feature in any world, so you don't have to be at University to have roommates. I love the elements of unpredictable chaos that living with roommates brings, for some reason, it gives the game a very Sims 2 vibe... at least for me. You can't control your roommates, though, so the mess and chaos that they bring isn't for everyone, but for a simmer like me who enjoys having sims I'm not in control of close at hand, without needing a loading screen, this is more fun for me than the apartments. I'm setting up a little trailer park right now, and I'll be using the roommate system to populate the trailer houses with curious characters while I main a small family of 3.

I also consider the soccer ball and bikes to be versatile assets. The bikes, like the brooms, are neat to have in the game but not something I'm fond of. I like that they're usable everywhere, though, for the people who are into that sort of thing. I like options, even if it's not an option I will utilize. That soccer ball, though, I actually like.

I play on small lots, so I don't usually have room for a treadmill, punching bag, or weight lifting machine. I've never used the gigantic rock wall. That tiny one tile soccer ball is perfect for my sims who live in small spaces. It's just a nice and refreshing way to level fitness that doesn't require a large piece of equipment. We have jogging, but that's been the standard "small house" way to level fitness since time began and progress in the skill line is really slow. I'm happy to see something that doesn't take up so much space and has a decent progression speed through the skill line.

I haven't graduated with my degree yet, so I don't know if we get to keep our secret society sprite summoning skills after leaving college, but if we do, that's another versatile aspect of game play that I will enjoy outside the university setting. Summoning sprites to attack random sims is amusing for my mischievous and evil sims, and I like to use the sprites on my own sims in order to increase the speed at which they learn certain skill sets.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I don't like it. At all.