Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Relationships that aren’t family or romance related

So much gameplay is focused on either pairing sims up for a romantic relationship or having the paired up sims have a family. I’m interested to hear about other types of relationships you concentrate on in your game.

Do you have best friends? teen study groups? mentors and mentees? bitter enemies? political alliances? coworkers who go to lunch together? “juicers” who like to drink together?

Tell me about your sims’ non-romantic, non-familial social connections.
BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com

Comments

• NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited November 2019
    Do club members count?

My currently fave Sim (in avatar) has a fine dining club called Dinner Guests. He has formed some friendships in San Myshuno and with GalacticGal's Cantrell family some of whom are part of his exclusives only club. Furthermore, I enjoy having him visit the Bheeda's and help out with their toddler, Jason (who is insanely cute) - he is friends with him as well. Also, he has the fresh chef trait and so shows up to cook for his friends at their homes. Guess I've made him a very likable guy ;)

His adoptive (by kidnapping) son also runs a club (The Little Citizens) for townie kids. Having the Social Butterfly aspiration, he will at some point make friends with them once they've hung out enough times.

With Amari and Ayaan, I'm actually trying to focus on anything but romance and the usual family scenario 'cause it gets old and cliché. Ayaan is a kid I saw on the streets by himself pretty often and just fell for his cute face and felt peeved he was always alone at festivals and such. I checked in household management and felt that his supposed dad was...expendable, in my eyes. I deleted the dad and moved Ayaan in with Amari instead.

Hmm, is anyone having a Sim with a friendship with a stray cat or dog?

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I agree, this needs to be more of an area of focus. I need more interaction between friends. I think that will get easier because I've basically been making a bunch of sims as a "next generation". They are starting to grow up so there will be more opportunity for them to interact, all with different back stories.

I do use the clubs though I need to keep those more active. In Strangerville, I seem to have more people that are friends. I guess that is because it is a small town with fewer outsiders. I tend to keep them socializing with other people in the town. There's more of a need to make a good friend because they don't go to meet random people as much. They do go to Oasis Springs for community lots like the gym and a diner but that's still a special treat. Anyway, I have some best friends there. One moved into the trailer near the other. I also recently played the hippie commune in the fancier neighborhood and that seems to be more of a household of friends, at least right now.

I agree that while I want an overhaul to romance, I also want plenty to do beyond that. I'm not just playing romantic sims or family sims. It's kind of more of a variety. I know there's a politics track but I'm actually getting to the point where I want a system of government over all of them. I do kind of simulate that. There are local laws and overarching laws.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    Do club members count?

Yes, club members totally count! :smiley: Okay, I really need to hear the adopted-by-kidnapping story, LOL.
    I know there's a politics track but I'm actually getting to the point where I want a system of government over all of them. I do kind of simulate that. There are local laws and overarching laws.

That sounds interesting. I would love to hear some of your laws or anything else you want to share about your government system. I like it when people do stuff like this that makes the world more "real."

• GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    I usually have clubs for these, so I can make social groups and actual clubs. The people of Brindleton Bay can join a book club, the people of Sulani take part in a community club, etc. Certain schools have activity clubs - like a swim team, a basketball team, a student council, and a chess team.

Currently though, my main family's heir is best friends with his buddy from high school. Their wives became friends, too. The four of them watch TV every Friday and go to karaoke bars every Sunday. The wives and their friends also went to the Gym every Wednesday.

OH, and there's a political group. Every important sim from each neighborhood is part of a cabal that controls everything from behind the scenes. Their current leader is Tara Lynx (Catarina Lynx's daughter), who is also the mayor of Brindleton Bay.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    I like to try it all. For my DU gameplay I'm planning to do a big group of sims that will mostly be friends. I also have a save where I had my sim become friends with all of her neighbors. That was a challenge for me because I like to have at least two sims but it was fun to see what your sims friends will call you out to do at random hours. I did have her date but I played her more as a career-minded sim.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    I run a Council in my game, they count 5 Councilors (+ a secretary), and because they are kinda central, a lot of my game play involves relations between these sims and their families or other networks. Each Councilor has their own department, so they will reach out to different environments and careers etc, making it a tad diverse. Because I play these families a bit more in dept, it's become more important for me to make them a bit different, as in representing various values and aspects of life, but I guess I mostly play the 5 in the light of political matters.

I also have political parties in my game - they are too big for the club system, but they will occasionally require some strong relations between sims within the same party/interest, as there might also be political enemies.

Most relations are still tied to romance though :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    So much gameplay is focused on either pairing sims up for a romantic relationship or having the paired up sims have a family. I’m interested to hear about other types of relationships you concentrate on in your game.

Do you have best friends? teen study groups? mentors and mentees? bitter enemies? political alliances? coworkers who go to lunch together? “juicers” who like to drink together?

Tell me about your sims’ non-romantic, non-familial social connections.

Possibly, but TS4 isn't the most friendly towards different styles of play where relationships and procreation is the main aspect, and then pass those skills onto their children, the parents die and starts over again.

if i'm going to try something like that, it will be important to set some rules and that can be easily done with MC after some adjustments, in order to make the whole thing easier to take on different playstyles.

I haven't considered a specific playstyle though, but i'm very open to the idea of setting one up though...

hmmm... setting up a mock business surrounding with computers, cubicles, sims working at their desks. The big boss on their cushy computer chair doing a Mr Burns "Excellent!" and in the background the view of San Myshuno city, by use of Diego Lobo's apartments. nice, nice..

hmph! I might give it a go. :)
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited May 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    My new sim made a club with the students in her dorm, but as there is so much other stuff to track, and she had money worries, I haven't spent a lot of time befriending them yet.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I like my sims to have at least one or two friends outside of the family home. Usually they will have a best friend. I used to like making clubs but my sims are always whining they're bored from no club gatherings and I don't like that much.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    edited November 2019
    Nindigo wrote: »
    Do club members count?

My currently fave Sim (in avatar) has a fine dining club called Dinner Guests. He has formed some friendships in San Myshuno and with GalacticGal's Cantrell family some of whom are part of his exclusives only club. Furthermore, I enjoy having him visit the Bheeda's and help out with their toddler, Jason (who is insanely cute) - he is friends with him as well. Also, he has the fresh chef trait and so shows up to cook for his friends at their homes. Guess I've made him a very likable guy ;)

His adoptive (by kidnapping) son also runs a club (The Little Citizens) for townie kids. Having the Social Butterfly aspiration, he will at some point make friends with them once they've hung out enough times.

With Amari and Ayaan, I'm actually trying to focus on anything but romance and the usual family scenario 'cause it gets old and cliché. Ayaan is a kid I saw on the streets by himself pretty often and just fell for his cute face and felt peeved he was always alone at festivals and such. I checked in household management and felt that his supposed dad was...expendable, in my eyes. I deleted the dad and moved Ayaan in with Amari instead.

Hmm, is anyone having a Sim with a friendship with a stray cat or dog?

I have to pop in here just to thank you for downloading my Cantrell family! Recently, in my own game with them, Louise perished in a fire started by an Arsonist. The family is managing to carry forward with their lives. (So proud of me for not just ditching this save to restart, yet again). Hope they are as zany in your game as I find them to be. :)

Back on topic, I do try to have my Sims make friends. Especially Brianna, the only daughter. I have her make friends with prospective sisters-in-law. Always helps come holidays and when your Sim might need a family member to babysit …
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I often have a live in servant: (girl-friday, side-kick, cook, gardener, handyman, pet caretaker, keeper of clubs ect) to just make my main characters life easier. Especially if I'm playing an evil mastermind sim or a bunch of creepy kids/teens that need a caretaker. Often the lackey will develop a character of their own though and might even start another life later because I start to root for the underdog. They usually have a friendly but not romantic relationship as roomates..
    If my sims are in active careers I often make them a club or they have friends/coworkers over.
    Oh and then there is Johnny Zest... almost always friend-zoned by many in various saves.
    egTcBMc.png
  • DoktorBonkDoktorBonk Posts: 30 Member
    I never really thought about anything like that!! I usually just make my Sim's partner their best friend so that they're fully committed to each other, but I should focus on other relationships too! I think it would help if you could have more than one best friend... maybe up to five would be good!! Because let's be real, who just has ONE best friend?! I have different best friends that fulfil different needs in my life!! My best friend since kindergarten is fun when I want someone to play Toontown with and just goof around and laugh, my best friend that I met through an art therapy group is great to go shopping with, and my best friend I met through a shared interest is great when I wanna talk about that interest, and then there's my mom who's my best friend because she's the one I can rely on to take care of me!! I couldn't ever just pick one of them that's my all time favorite friend, because there's things I like and things that I don't like about all three of them!! I get that it's harder to replicate things like that in the Sims, so having one best friend isn't AS bad, but it would still help to be able to have more than one so your Sims could have multiple.
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    DoktorBonk wrote: »
    and then there's my mom who's my best friend because she's the one I can rely on to take care of me!!

Awww, that’s so sweet. Cherish that time together. :smile:

• asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    I play generationally, so what I normally do when my sims are kids is to create a small club with a couple of the kids they meet at school to become their friends, and they're in this club for life with their core group of besties. When they age up to teen I still have room to add any new friends they meet at school, and then the club is set, and they are friends throughout their lives. They'll get invited over for casual get togethers, or big life events, and often all their children will meet which starts to form the foundation for the new generations friends. I just really like the idea of having a core group of friends who have known each other forever, it adds a bit of history and depth of relationships for me :)
  • ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    Roddy (That's him in my avatar) has an elderly lady as a friend. Her name's Carol Brinson, and she used to be a fashion model. She's married to a former police officer, who is a young adult, Dudley Brinson. But I'm going off topic. Carol's a Lady of the Pink, along with Roddy's sweetheart, Jessica Lacey. Roddy's club is The Order of the Pink.
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!