Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Degree for the Vet Career?

IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
Please tell me that the vet career wasn't neglected in DU. My sim is going to be a vet, but I didn't see a degree related to it when she applied.

ETA: Ugh. I just remembered that vet isn't an actual career. Sigh. Guess she'll just take classes to improve the skill. I had everything planned out perfectly, too.

Comments

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    It's a shame about this. I have a family who own a vet clinic and their daughter is about to age up for uni.

She would be able to get the Friends of the Animals scholarship as she has already helped out at the clinic and has a little vet skill, but then what degree to study...? I guess the closest would be biology, and then she could travel to her parents clinic to practice her vet skills.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,926 Member
    Unfortunately, it's a business, not a career.
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    I am a veterinarian in real life, so this definitely is sad news for me... Well, I'll probably do it indirectly, like having a Sim getting a Biology degree or something like that.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    @EgonVM Still our sims could get more money for treating those furry little patients :)
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,926 Member
    @EgonVM Still our sims could get more money for treating those furry little patients :)

Perhaps...
    I really see university as a place to get that skill up. Is it really me or does high vet skill help sims to diagnose pets faster? I see benefit in that.
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    Vet's a separate thing from careers in the game. There could be an elective class maybe?
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    I assumed that it would be covered by a degree you could earn.
    I have yet to try out being a Vet yet, but I do like the idea.

I put a station in my custom dorm.
    11-17-19_12-20-23nbspPM.png

Reading a book and going to a rabbit hole doesn't do it for me.
    I also like to see some applied learning in my game play. Whenever the sim has some free time, you can have them work on those vet skills.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    It's definitely intended to be biology I think. If only because the presentation board for biology shows both doctor and vet related things. Think it's just a catch-all for "things to do with health, sims & pet".
    EgonVM wrote: »

Perhaps...
    I really see university as a place to get that skill up. Is it really me or does high vet skill help sims to diagnose pets faster? I see benefit in that.
    High vet skill does indeed mean faster diagnosis. My mama vet is level 10 and generally needs to do 2 exam actions to fill up 5 symptom slots whereas her level 2 daughter has to do 5 exam actions to fill up the 5 symptom slots. Also, higher vet skill means the ability to make more vet goody types and calming the pets easier.
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    Irl vet students study biology. Have your student study biology and take a vet skill elective and then also sit in on vet skill classes when possible.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    I don't get why it's not a career ? Though it's interesting to run a vet clinic.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Oh... bummer but I would go with biology too. My legacy-heir is going to be a vet so I guess I'll try it myself once the last of my nice-to-have mods and CC are good to go.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited November 2019
    It's a shame about this. I have a family who own a vet clinic and their daughter is about to age up for uni.

She would be able to get the Friends of the Animals scholarship as she has already helped out at the clinic and has a little vet skill, but then what degree to study...? I guess the closest would be biology, and then she could travel to her parents clinic to practice her vet skills.

Yeah, I decided to choose biology. I was just so ready to get the career perks that come with having a degree... I wish they could have added vet somehow to the biology major, giving your sim a boost when/if they purchase a vet clinic. It never bothered me that it was only a skill, but it does now that it's affecting my money, lol.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Yeah, I have a Sim majoring in Biology but she takes the vet-related electives. I wish it could have been affected a little better as a proper career.
    #Team Occult
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    I don't get why it's not a career ? Though it's interesting to run a vet clinic.

Because it's a business, like retail with Get to Work and restaurants with Dine Out. Both of which have a degree you could use- Culinary Arts for a restaurant and Communications for retail. Wow... The Sims team really did think of everything I suppose.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Ded_Sheeran_88Ded_Sheeran_88 Posts: 2 New Member
    [quote="nerdfashion;c-17318001"][quote="Dianesims;c-17317382"]I don't get why it's not a career ? Though it's interesting to run a vet clinic.[/quote]

Because it's a business, like retail with Get to Work and restaurants with Dine Out. Both of which have a degree you could use- Culinary Arts for a restaurant and Communications for retail. Wow... The Sims team really did think of everything I suppose.[/quote]

I disagree and think that they didn't think of everything. Starting your businesses can be a challenge in get to work, and having a degree that could benefit you in making it a little easier is realistic. Starting a restaurant with no degree as apposed to having the degree in communications or veterinarian (they absolutely should have included that) should make a drastic difference in the difficulty or at least the skills of the staff you hire. If it's a job above the min wage choices (cashier, lifeguard etc) it should have a degree directly connected along with benifits to starting your businesses. If they thought of everything, they would have included a vet degree and everything else I mentioned.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member

@elanorbreton What's it like running a vet clinic? I've a sim with both cat lover and dog lover traits and am considering making her a vet.
    edited May 2020
    I know I already said so, but It's a shame that vet isn't an actual career, I have a sim who runs her Vet clinic where she works, and she still was "unemployed" even though she literally treated pets all day, so I had to have her take an extra job. She makes more money with the vet clinic benefits though. It also is kinda unrealistic that just any sim can start treating animals, when normally you'd have to study for years.

My sim working

yNA7QYh.png
    calaprfy wrote: »
    @elanorbreton What's it like running a vet clinic? I've a sim with both cat lover and dog lover traits and am considering making her a vet.
    I like it. If any of my sims want to be vets I have them register with the Ministry as a self-employed vet.

Last time I played one I cheated them some money so I could buy a fairly nice clinic (nothing too extravagant). This time I have put my sim through a uni Biology degree and she is saving up to buy a small vet clinic.

I guess it can get a little repetitive, like all of the 'hands on' careers:

You travel to your clinic and get into uniform and open up. Patients start arriving and their owners book them in and then you go and greet one and start examining the cat or dog. Each time you check something, such as checking the pets ears or heartbeat, one or more of the symptoms will usually fill up, then eventually you will fill them all up and be able to treat the animal. Once they are treated, the owner pays you and then you start again with the next patient until you are ready to shut the clinic.

It is worth knowing that you can click on the ticket machine and stop new patients from registering to be seen if you are getting too many coming in to cope with.

I usually have a couple run the clinic so that one can treat patients and one can make the pet treats to sell (these can make quite a bit of money, so are worth doing). Once made, add them to the vet fridge thing and sims will come in and buy them. Your vet skill increases by seeing patients or making the goodies, so you can switch your sims around if you want, say, the hubby to make treats one day and the wifey to make treats the next. Sometimes I will have them both treat pets at the same time if it gets really busy.

If you don't want to make the clinic a family affair you can hire staff to help out. They are not brilliant, but not too bad, and you can specify which tasks you want them to do.
    The names of the diseases pets get are quite funny. BTW, do you ever have sims coming to your clinic to spay or neuter their pets ? Because I haven't seen any, they all come for illnesses or check-ups.
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I like it. If any of my sims want to be vets I have them register with the Ministry as a self-employed vet.

Last time I played one I cheated them some money so I could buy a fairly nice clinic (nothing too extravagant). This time I have put my sim through a uni Biology degree and she is saving up to buy a small vet clinic.

I guess it can get a little repetitive, like all of the 'hands on' careers:

You travel to your clinic and get into uniform and open up. Patients start arriving and their owners book them in and then you go and greet one and start examining the cat or dog. Each time you check something, such as checking the pets ears or heartbeat, one or more of the symptoms will usually fill up, then eventually you will fill them all up and be able to treat the animal. Once they are treated, the owner pays you and then you start again with the next patient until you are ready to shut the clinic.

It is worth knowing that you can click on the ticket machine and stop new patients from registering to be seen if you are getting too many coming in to cope with.

I usually have a couple run the clinic so that one can treat patients and one can make the pet treats to sell (these can make quite a bit of money, so are worth doing). Once made, add them to the vet fridge thing and sims will come in and buy them. Your vet skill increases by seeing patients or making the goodies, so you can switch your sims around if you want, say, the hubby to make treats one day and the wifey to make treats the next. Sometimes I will have them both treat pets at the same time if it gets really busy.

If you don't want to make the clinic a family affair you can hire staff to help out. They are not brilliant, but not too bad, and you can specify which tasks you want them to do.

@Dianesims nope, not ever.
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 949 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    ETA: Ugh. I just remembered that vet isn't an actual career. Sigh. Guess she'll just take classes to improve the skill. I had everything planned out perfectly, too.

You got that right. There are electives at the university for that.

• singularuniversesingularuniverse Posts: 29 Member
    It's a bit disappointing, but I just had my Sim go through with a biology degree and she took a class for vet skills and pet training on the side. I guess that's about as realistic as we can get rn!