Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you play The Sims 4?

2...Next

Comments

• NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited November 2019
    Currently, I have three played households in a "main" save, but I don't feel like playing since the day before yesterday, so I'm on a small break.

PS: I play with aging off and sometimes get rid of kids if they annoy me too much. I'm not a family player, but stick with my main Sims.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Kniga_SitaraKniga_Sitara Posts: 414 Member
    I wil start new save this day. In actually save I have 40 families and I feel lost. I use Ea families, and families from gallery and I say stop. I must start fresh. I will start in Glimbrook or Forgotten hollow, all lots off the grid and I thinka about two sims (simple as :-) Adam and Eva) or I will start with 7 toodlers challenge... And 7 toodlers, so one will be magic, one wamp, one mermaid... Hmmm! And 4 normal? 7/2 = 3 families and one will be lost :D
  • Hak_vinHak_vin Posts: 32 Member
    Honestly, when I make a sim I get so attached to them that I never fully do a "age gameplay", I never want to see them age or die lol! On rare occasions I do play sims for a quite a long time (if I have a story for them in mind) to the point children are born and they grow-up. Though majority of the time I make more sims than I play. :smiley:
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I play 50+ households rotationally, 14 days per season, aging on only on New Year's Eve.

I have a working Council (featured in my ongoing video series As Sims Go By), political parties, stock market and many sims (ehem, the wealthier) have their own holding companies. Sims starting their own business normally do so through a incorporate company where they hold the majority of shares. I've got Farm Rights, restricting who can use the easy drag-n-drop when selling produce. I've got private high schools, and retirement homes. And probably a lot more that I can't remember right now.

All info on my sims and community is online in a huge Residents Registry, accessible from my blog at simmerville.blogspot.com and there are plenty how-i-play videos on my Youtube channel.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    I typically play one couple to start off with, then they have kids, and then I play their kids, and then their kids, etc. etc. I always make sure there’s at least once kid for each generation (I play w/ aging on). So yeah! That’s how I play.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,301 Member
    Over time I've moved more and more in the direction of what I call "playing like I am a movie director". I see the game as a bunch of sets, props, costumes, lighting options, and actors that I can use for creating stories. I use lots of mods, cheats and custom content to get the effects that I want for my stories, and I make my own custom poses so I can have anything happen that I want.

I stage the scenes that I have planned, not necessarily in the order they will happen in the story (just whatever is convenient), and take hundreds of screen shots for each scene so I have plenty to choose from. I move sims in and out of my active household for different scenes so that I can control the important actors for the scene. I share the stories I write with friends and family members.

I do have a few saves where I just let things happen and play with a few sims in a more relaxed way, but I still tend to take a lot of screen shots and often end up writing something about it, even if I never really turn it into a story.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I usually start with a single Sim (started with making a family at first, but that was really dull compared to letting relationships happen or not happen and seeing where it went) but then no matter how hard I try to avoid it, my game always winds up "going mosaic" on me, with 12-15 households in each save. So I play with lifespan set to long, and seasons at their longest (28 days per season) because otherwise I can't keep up with the changes.

I have played with short or average lifespans when I was doing a Sim breeding experiment with one of my favorite sims, and in that game, the point was to watch game genetics in action, not to deal with the details of life, so I would age up as quickly as I could, babies, toddlers, and children, so I could hand-pick the next breeding experiment and gauge the results. In that case I would age-rewind the Progenitor sim, and eventually pair him with his own descendants (because there are no consequences for that in TS4) to try to get offspring with the best features.

So, whether I stick to one main Sim or not, I tend to have a lot of Sims in my game before too long.

I do sort of hate making new Sims from scratch. Somehow it's far more of a thrill to have game genetics produce a "keeper" than it is to make a new Sim from scratch and then wait to see whether they will be interesting or not. So far, it seems like some Sims are just boring, but some are different from the rest, more quirky, more intense, don't react in robotic ways necessarily...or throw in a few surprises I didn't see coming. That's what I love about the game: the illusion that there are factors to their personalities beyond my ken, there to be discovered, at least in some of them.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I play my own little version of rotational play and I love it. One or two main families and then I use the holiday-system from Seasons for the rest of the town. I make rotation-days into holiday’s without work and school. In the old days all my sims were late to work or school when I rotated into a new household, the entire town ended up with the slacker-trait. Now I just make rotation-days into holidays. Made my rotational play so much easier.

I have an big project of creating my own premade sims for a save, got about 120 sims that I am happy with but I am far from done. All my sims are actors and show up in save after save.
  • kendallrankendallran Posts: 125 Member
    If I was to combine every save I deleted the list would crash my game. Anyways I typically play medium sized families, move them into a 2 story, create friends/neighbors for them and move them into other homes I got off the gallery. I used to play one family but I started getting into rotational play last year and I’ve been hooked since. I play typical family lives but I’m trying to branch out of that and create stories/background drama for each household. But then there’s times where I get bored of that save and I’d start a new one.