Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

First Thoughts On Discover University?

Comments

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,527 Member
    I would like to get to playing it, but I am too focused on creating my custom dorm. :D
    I am about to dive in though. I need to see what living in the default dorm is like so I can see how to improve on my dorm.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • CharlyCharly Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi everyone, I have a problem and I am hoping anyone reading this can help ;)
    my Sim enrolled and moved into the dorms. Then I realised I forgot something, when rebuilding it, so I moved her out, fixed it and wanted to move her back in... But unfortunately that doesn't work. When I click on the dorms, it says "Sim need to be enrolled to live here" or something like that. She is enrolled, anyone an idea how to fix that?

Thank you so much and kind regards from Germany :)
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    IMO The class UI is weird and hard to see. I understand why it's not on the calendar. Not everyone has seasons. My Sims just started on Sunday evening and don't even have class for 3 days. They have homework and term papers to write. It takes forever. They both have 2 classes and 1 elective. Will have to see how it goes. It turns out that my Sims have to collect things to build bots and everything is just task based. The new aspiration is more like a tutorial to help the player learn how to do stuff. I played for a couple of hours mostly paused because there is so much stuff to read and learn how to do. lol Sims don't have much free time. I am glad I did not sign them up for a full class load.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Best pack so far. Really love this pack!

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,827 Member
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    got it for 27 bucks at target cause of that sale, so its way worth that money i spent. i had a lot of fun, graduated already cause i speed-ran it LOL. imma play another sim and take my time and really explore the organizations and stuff tho

love the cas, love the world, love the mechanics, love the bikes, overall i'd rather have spent $40 on this and the 27 on island living cause this one is well worth that money.

My copy is delayed until the 28th. I'm so close to cancelling and paying full price
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this pack. I really think this is the Best one yet.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,445 Member
    I'm enjoying it but the issues with aging and holidays are a concern.

@Mariefoxprice83, you can edit the holidays & uncheck the "day off work/school" box. That way they'll still go to class. You may have to reduce the number of holiday tasks though (or keep them up all night lol).
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    hihi122122 wrote: »
    Ugh I have all the stress I had IRL when I went to university -- too many things to do and never enough time...plus being chronically tired! lol

Jokes aside I am enjoying the pack. Just wish I knew a few things beforehand, like your sim moves out of the house. I also don't know why I had roommates to control -- if it isn't a bug that needed to be made clear.

@hihi122122 this is not a glitch. Two dorms (one per University) already has a household living there. I am unaware of which one is in Foxbury, but I'm almost POSITIVE that in Britechester it's Wyvern Hall.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    Starfree wrote: »
    I'm enjoying it but the issues with aging and holidays are a concern.

@Mariefoxprice83, you can edit the holidays & uncheck the "day off work/school" box. That way they'll still go to class. You may have to reduce the number of holiday tasks though (or keep them up all night lol).

I could but I'd rather let them enjoy their holidays. Real life students get to, after all. I think I will have to see how it works per save.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,402 Member
    I will start to play this afternoon when I'm back home. Question to all: on the help forum many players reported that after the patch all needs decayed much faster. Is this affecting your gameplay in DU?
  • APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    This pack sounds really good. I won't buy it at full price, because I am still upset at myself for caving and paying full price for Island living, but the moment I see it on sale I will pick it up.

I wish I could bundle, but the only other pack I don't own is ROM so...

What would be cool is a special discount option for people who own everything else. The current bundle system inspires us to hold off on picking up packs, so that we can save by bundling. A discount system for people who own all or most of the packs that went before would inspire people to buy more packs to get a discount, and the discount could be based on how many packs you already own, so people who own all the previous packs get a better discount vs people who own most of the packs that came before.. Just a thought. Still I am glad for the bundle system, since I will be using it for now on.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I think it’s a really good expansion pack. Probably the best after seasons.
  • JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    @LolaLuvsSims just go to cdkeys.com or any other DLC vendor and get it cheaper. It will email you the code right away. I never buy games at full price and they are never out of stock or making people wait.
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,827 Member
    JC1979 wrote: »
    @LolaLuvsSims just go to cdkeys.com or any other DLC vendor and get it cheaper. It will email you the code right away. I never buy games at full price and they are never out of stock or making people wait.

Cdkeys was 31.99 or something and I only paid like 23 at target
  • JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    @LolaLuvsSims, I meant cheaper than what origin is selling it for. It’s just a suggestion in case you are tired of waiting 🙂.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited November 2019
    Help me! I can't stop playing!

And taking screenshots. I have tons and tons of them.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Heavensent2010Heavensent2010 Posts: 167 Member
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    got it for 27 bucks at target cause of that sale, so its way worth that money i spent. i had a lot of fun, graduated already cause i speed-ran it LOL. imma play another sim and take my time and really explore the organizations and stuff tho

love the cas, love the world, love the mechanics, love the bikes, overall i'd rather have spent $40 on this and the 27 on island living cause this one is well worth that money.

My copy is delayed until the 28th. I'm so close to cancelling and paying full price

If you got it from Target, you can go pick up in the store and they will honor the price you paid for. Just ask for a price match.
  • Heavensent2010Heavensent2010 Posts: 167 Member
    edited November 2019
    After playing since Friday, I like the overall idea of the pack - It just wasn't executed as fully as I would have liked. As much stuff that was added to this pack, it just feels a little incomplete/unfinished.

Pros:
    • CAS items.
    • Roommates (there are already mods to expand on this)
    • Time Management - this make the game more difficult which is needed.
    • Activities and orgs!

Cons:
    • Can't edit via the Main Menu if we have a sim in University Housing - I'm having an error ATM where i can't even load into the housing to edit, so being able to edit via the Main Menu would be nice.. We can do so for other lots, not sure why we can't for University Housing.. :/
    • No idea when the final exam/presentations/term papers are due - I just try to get them done ASAP.
    • My sims are always late to class, there isn't anyway to see which building each class is at nor is there a way to send them early (they sometime automatically goes if nothing is in their cue).
    • Number of active lots.. With such a beautiful world, i hate that there isn't a lot we can interact with on the map - some that could have easily been blank lots.
    • Costs of dorms - they are relatively cheap. It's way too easy to get rich in Sims, this needs to be more expensive.

With that being said, I don't regret getting the pack (I only paid $24 for it). I would definitely advise waiting for a sale or discount to buy.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    @alanmichael1 I actually found needs decaying much slower while in Uni. Notably, Simmies are able to stay up wayyyy later, which I guess is true to college life!
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    @Heavensent2010, I've found that the term papers and presentations are all do before the end of the term. Homework is the only thing that needs to be done every night
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • BamajamBamajam Posts: 812 Member
    Charly wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I have a problem and I am hoping anyone reading this can help ;)
    my Sim enrolled and moved into the dorms. Then I realised I forgot something, when rebuilding it, so I moved her out, fixed it and wanted to move her back in... But unfortunately that doesn't work. When I click on the dorms, it says "Sim need to be enrolled to live here" or something like that. She is enrolled, anyone an idea how to fix that?

Thank you so much and kind regards from Germany :)

I had the same exact problem. Sim moved into dorm but I wanted him in another dorm so I moved him out and then could not get back in. If anyone knows how to solve this, I would much appreciate it. I don't know if this is a glitch or what?

• LiesSimLiesSim Posts: 358 Member
    The new take on this expansion (third one of its kind?) is quite enjoyable (number of classes you choose, roommates, sports teams, rivaling universities, ...). I'm really enjoying it so far!

CAS is great and build+buy is very appropriate for college/university so no complaints there. I am in love with the variety in jeans we got this time around, finally some good high waist ones!

My only complaint is about the sprites, their impact long after you've left the secret society is very frustrating to me. Dear Lord those are annoying. I don't know if they're meant to keep bothering your sims long after you're done with university but from my experience so far this could use a patch.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited November 2019
    What I love about it is how customizable it is. I played a little at UBrite in one of my saves - but IMHO there were way too many beds in that dorm and living with 9 other NPCs gets a bit much.

I then switched over to another save because I had a sim there too I wanted to enroll in Foxbury. She lives in my military so I ended up enrolling everyone (her computer science, the others in biology, physics, psychology and history). It's fun cause I kept them living at home, first taking care of their usual military duties (cleaning, repairing, gardening, programming, workouts) then university classes. But most of them had 3-4 classes and doing this with 5 sims got overwhelming.

So now I moved the one who's majoring in computer science out to a dorm. Except I customized it first (it only has 5 beds, one common hangout area and a cafeteria space). Loving it. It's less stressful taking care of only her but having less other NPCs around. You really need to use the door locking features for peace of mind.

But you could also play a bunch of sims enrolled in the same study - say biology - have them all follow the same "residency" to become doctors for example. You can use odd jobs and part time jobs to make sure sims have income. I've seen someone make a supernatural dorm.

The fact that dorms and commons are lot traits and the cafeteria item works in both is a huge plus. Being able to make my own dorms or off-campus arrangements is a huge plus. Haven't even played the new careers. Or had one of my sims finish uni yet (although my current one will soon :)).

It's not IL: there's plenty to do and it's extremely customizable for once. If a uni EP seems fun to you, this is is one of the better ones they made!
  • Fallenxroses7Fallenxroses7 Posts: 92 Member
    same as expectations, it's okay. I've never really been hyped for uni so I didn't have high expectations to begin with. I like some of the CAS though. There's this one shirt which I'll be using all the time and a haircut that looks a lot like mine that I really need in my game! Plus the jeans are quite nice. I think the only thing about it I really like are just the CAS and build/buy. Plus Uni is pretty hard which is good, it's not been watered down to an easy experience like in TS3
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    @LiesSim oh yeah those sprites. I have no clue how to get rid off them (even though my sim is not part of the secret society) nor how to please them (even though i follow as they say)
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p