Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Discover University set in England

2...Next

Comments

• invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Think of the poor tourists and students from Willow Creek and Oasis Springs, forever asking directions to 'Bright-chester'.
    "Oh, you mean Britster?"
    "No, it says 'Bright-chester'"
    "Yes, that's Britster, love."
    Willow Creek resident stares. "But where did all the consonants go?"
    "Wales took them all. Sorry."
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    yep so it does, Being from England this was a nice change from EA <3
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    Set in England but has elective classes, cheerleaders, mascots and no kitchens in dorms.
    and room mates
  • simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    Think of the poor tourists and students from Willow Creek and Oasis Springs, forever asking directions to 'Bright-chester'.
    "Oh, you mean Britster?"

Ha, sounds like a small village near me. No one beyond a 20 mile radius or so knows how to pronounce it.
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    I have a son at Bristol University and the world in this pack reminds me SO much of that place, it's totally awesome. In fact, one of the set-dressing streets looks almost exactly the same as where his accommodation was last year.

Thank you, EA, it is wonderful <3
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    The Universities remind me of two universities in Glasgow - Foxbury is like Strathclyde (where I went!) with more modern architecture and the stairs....Britechester is so University of Glasgow...especially the quad.

glasgow-university-scotland-uk-the-east-quadrangle-showing-the-university-BM7FP5.jpg
    giphy.gif
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited November 2019
    I asked for a UK setting a long time ago in Ideas and Feedback and am so happy they did this. All we want now is some empty worlds like Newcrest but with different country settings and I'll be very, very happy! I'd love another empty UK, Japan or China or Africa. :)

I can see why they put some not UK stuff in. I wouldn't be surprised if we got Cheerleaders over here eventually as we seem to copy everything else from the USA. We've got some groups already over here.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    "Oh, you mean Britster?"

I've been thinking this since the place was first mentioned.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
    "Oh, you mean Britster?"
    This had me in hysterics :D

When I first moved to the Worcestershire area, I remember my work colleagues having hysterics when I said Leominster as Leo-min-ster instead of Lemster rofl. I never did live that down.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Keep in mind that a number of American colleges and universities feature similar architecture, particularly among Ivy League schools.

There's Yale:

shutterstock_517879ae.jpg?w=1000

Brown University:

Dt1-u00XQAEeQUJ.jpg

Haaavaaahd:

170128-harvard-university-feature.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1

Princeton even has fortification towers in what I assume to be a precaution against a siege by the University of Pennsylvania:

NL6TBNVEQ4I6PNLTR3EGZX7B5U.jpg

And so, while such architecture is found in British universities, they are also stateside as well.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    "Oh, you mean Britster?"
    This had me in hysterics :D

When I first moved to the Worcestershire area, I remember my work colleagues having hysterics when I said Leominster as Leo-min-ster instead of Lemster rofl. I never did live that down.

I'm one of those people who tends to mispronounce words because I generally only read them - I don't see a lot of films and so forth. Place names are the worst - if I don't already know how a place in Britain is pronounced, I'll look it up if it looks fishy.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm... to me it just feels european :)
    Bristol Uni/city with all the row houses:

f655ebc6-4163-11e7-9d56-25f963e998b2.jpg?dl=0

• loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    You can even get a chip butty and mushy peas from one of the food stalls :D
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Having studied in both Boston and the UK, from my perspective it feels about 70% British and about 30% like Cambridge (Harvard/MIT). (Based purely on the trailer and livestream, as I haven't purchased it yet.)
  • zekrayatzekrayat Posts: 1,855 Member
    It's definitely England. Asides from the architecture, the cars drive on the left!

001165757f5c8fa8a3e9fff178600c32c388a5bb.png
    edited November 2019

quote="zekrayat;c-17317486"]It's definitely England. Asides from the architecture, the cars drive on the left!

001165757f5c8fa8a3e9fff178600c32c388a5bb.png
    [/quote]

We're still in Feudal times here. I was told that the French aristocracy when they drove carriages on the roads forced the peasants over to the right hand side, so after the Revolution the peasants revolted to travel on the right and Bonaparte put it into law. We didn't have a Revolution! In other countries it depended on the type of transport used, which stuck the side they went on.
  • CorininiCorinini Posts: 134 Member
    To me it reminds me of my hometown Boston/Cambridge and the two Universities could be Harvard and MIT. But to be fair Boston is in New England and it is probably one of the most European-like cities in the U.S., so both could be true.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    And so, while such architecture is found in British universities, they are also stateside as well.

It's found in Aussie land too.

Syd-ogworts
    800px-The_Main_Quadrangle_of_the_University_of_Sydney.png

'Ogworts of Sydney-side, part two
    728b2532dab5c77b1be80eb74f20d2a9

Melb-bin it.
    1920px-Ormond_College%2C_College_Crescent%2C_University_of_Melbourne.jpg

Radelaide school of witchcraft, mockery and loitering.
    University-of-Adelaide-Graduate-Research-Scholarships-AGRS-2019-1024x614.jpg

Seems to be what you end up with, when your uni was built in the 1800's, or earlier.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    Movotti wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »

It's found in Aussie land too.

Syd-ogworts
    800px-The_Main_Quadrangle_of_the_University_of_Sydney.png

'Ogworts of Sydney-side, part two
    728b2532dab5c77b1be80eb74f20d2a9

Melb-bin it.
    1920px-Ormond_College%2C_College_Crescent%2C_University_of_Melbourne.jpg

Radelaide school of witchcraft, mockery and loitering.
    University-of-Adelaide-Graduate-Research-Scholarships-AGRS-2019-1024x614.jpg

Seems to be what you end up with, when your uni was built in the 1800's, or earlier.

I suppose if you have benevolently donated all the money to build them you want it to be noticed! I believe it's called "Collegiate Gothic" just waiting for bits to fall off now as too expensive to maintain! :D
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    I believe it's called "Collegiate Gothic"
    That perfectly describes the style!
    It's modern (ish) universities that have their design influenced by the buildings in medieval universities.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif