March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pros and Cons TS 1/2/3/4

SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
What do you think are pros and cons of each series?

(this is probably wrong category but idk what is right one)

I've been playing the older games lately to refresh my memory
and I feel like there was many things people would logically dislike if they came back to ts4
but didn't really find all that weird back in the day

and also there is things people like about each sims game
that never really were done as good in other sims game
⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free

Comments

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited November 2019
    I'll start with my opinions on good old loveable TS2 as I played it just yesterday with Nightlife + Bon Voyage

Pros: Interactions, animations, wishes and fears, EPs, story
    so as I started playing I just felt I had so much to do even if I only had 2 packs installed
    the interactions are really sweet (need those romantic interactions soooooo bad)
    and there is overall so many things for your sim to do

especially it shocks me how many things one ep adds in this game
    like I could easily count each of these eps adding few gamepacks worth of gameplay and more

the wishes and fears, especially fears give your sims some personality as well
    because meanwhile sim x could be happy getting married sim y might feel its their nightmare

and those dramatic first kiss, marriage etc scenes are just priceless

+ I love exploring the backstories also

Cons: Build Mode and Create A Sim, fast needs
    Making house or sim in this game though, is rather irritating
    and I can see why I had so much cc back in the day

like in cas you can't make fat sims
    the game says they are fat sims
    but they are normal weight which really bothers me

the skin, eye and hair colors are really lacking so I could not make myself even if I tried

the clothing options are all either for teen or elder, or then too sexy
    (but that is subjective opinion and it was early 2000 i forgive)

needs really get in the way of actually doing things with your sims because decay is way too fast

build mode again you can't angle objects, you can't have circular roofs, object placement is big hassle,
    some objects are greatly oversized or undersized in comparison to other objects in game
    and its very hard to bulldoze anything (though later it at least gave me hammer as it updated wow future)
    still ended up having to build the house multiple times all over because i messed something up ._.
    I can see why I was not much of a builder in this game
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    edited November 2019
    For me,

TS1 is like my first toy, practically excited about it!. Pros, it's a practically a "new" & different simulation game. Cons, less gameplays.

TS2 is like my first crush, I think & play it every day, even before my big exams. Pros, practically an improved iteration, "drama with backstories", a lot of new gameplays, customisable lots & neighbourhoods', love the musics & audio, CARS & HELICOPTER :D. Cons, I can't think of anything :p

TS3 is like my first job, need it, love it, hate it. Pros, open-world with lots customisation. Cons, the realistic art style, bugs!

TS4 is like buying my first house, where I need a lot of money to buy/build my ideal house :D. The pros, the cartoonish art style, for some packs, it's kinda detailed (parenthood, vampires), easy to build houses (TS4 is the first iteration where I built my own houses), lots of free updates, interesting new gameplays. Cons, most of the pack has lacked of details, no cars, I feel disconnected with my Sims (no memory system), lots of oversized stuff (I just want a normal telescope & microscope: s), lack of customisation (I want to build my own world too, my own concept, my own fantasy...) ;)

Overall, I really love this game.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    no opinion on one cause i never played it. also my opinions on sims 2 and 3 are rather brief cause i've played them, but not to the depth i have with sims 4.

sims 2 pros: fun game play, in depth animations and things to do
    cons: bad body types, you can't really be diverse in this game. seriously, the fat body type model? horrible.

sims 3 pros: open world, create a style (its cool)
    cons: open world, create a style (but its also laggy as hell)

sims 4 pros: very diverse cas, any body size, the black hairstyles in this game aside from the base game afro fiasco have been amazing additions compared to other games out there. great to create any sim you really want to. great graphics, runs great.
    cons: worlds don't feel like worlds when townies from across the sim nation stroll by your front lawn, loading screens, sometimes things are a bit ignored in terms of animation depth and oversights on things that should've been added.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Sims 1
    Pros
    I just loved throwing parties and having Drew Carey show up. It was just so funny to me to see the sims going crazy over the celebrity showing up. I usually hate celebrities in my Sims game but this always cracked me up. Superstar expansion...the fashion show come on...nothing like it since at least not on the same level.

Cons

No Aging and the look of the sims.

Sims 2

Pros
    I love everything about this game. Gameplay wise. The gameplay is just out of this world. It beats all in my opinion. They bowl a real game. They play a real game of pool. Marco Polo in the pool. They can twirl together while skating. It felt like couples had plenty to do together. The blind dates. I could write pages and pages of stuff I love.

I love adding a townie to a household and being able to see what they have been through in life by reading their memories. Wants and Fears. The attraction system. The interest system. All of these things made each sim feel very unique.

Cons
    No towine aging and body styles of the sims themselves.

Sims 3

Pros and cons of the game was open world. While it was a great innovative idea, it was executed poorly. I hated being stuck in one world. I had so many beautiful worlds and I didn't get a chance to really enjoy them all. So many routing issues SOOOO MANY. When you need to have a mod to even play the game without issues, we have a problem. On the flip side, I loved watching townies around town when my sims were doing something boring. I loved driving though the streets with my sims when they were heading to their destinations. Seasons was amazing in that game. The best of them all in my opinion. I enjoyed open world but at the same time it felt limited. No open restaurants which made no sense to me because they had open nightclubs...LOL

Sims 4

Pros
    The sims themselves can really look diverse. Love that. I love how all the worlds are connected and my sims can visit all of them.

Cons

The sims themselves are not unique. They are all the same because they are all subjected to the same 10 emotions. It really makes me feel like I am playing the same sim over and over.
    I thought the trade off for closing the world would have been better but it feel like it is less. We are seeing rabbit holes more than ever. I remember when they used to say well we have to put rabbit holes in (Sims 3) because of performance. What is the excuse now??
    Musical chair...UGH
    Looking at artwork when at a restaurant..UGH
    Everything is separated for each sim. They don't really fish together, bowl together, skate together, DANCE TOGETHER, suntan together, they cannot even talk while laying on the lounge chairs together IT IS THE WORSE. I still cannot believe after how many years the sims are not dancing facing each other yet.

I can write a book on my frustration with Sims 4 but those are my top 5 most irritating. Honorable mention - giving a sims a command and they do whatever they want anyways. For instance, the sim is on the move to go to sleep and I want them to make a meal. The sim goes all way to the bed change in pjs get in bed and then get back up and go to the fridge to make the food even though I commanded them to do it well before the sim got to the bedroom.
  • July7601GirlJuly7601Girl Posts: 33 Member
    i never played 1, so i don't have an opinon

sims 2
    pros: in depth gameplay, has one of my favorite expansion concepts (bon voyage). i also really enjoy the cut scenes lol. also had the best little details such as hair movement
    cons: honestly there's not a con with the actual game content, but rather the fact that no matter what system i play on or the settings, it crashes for me eventually. loading screens are maybe my only other 'con' but i don't mind them much if i'm being honest since there wasn't an open world prior to ts2, so there's no feeling of regression there.

sims 3
    pros: this is the first sims game i played so it's my very biased favorite. i love the open world, generations is arguably one of the best packs introduced into the entire franchise, and the expansion packs went really in depth. i play this version of the sims the most to this day, i'll always go back to it
    cons: the sims 3 store was a money grab, really laggy at times (especially for the crappy laptops i grew up playing it on!!) and saves always get soooo glitchy after generations of gameplay

sims 4
    pros: runs smoothly no matter the system in my experience, and also has the most binge-playable factor. the art style is also probably my favorite if i momentarily stop being so biased towards the sims 3.
    cons: the gameplay feels so cold. as a family player, the relationships in the sims 4 feel so icy and meaningless. a sim could be talking to their mother or a homeless man at the park and it wouldn't make a difference. also the amount of loading screens gets old, and the game in general can be really buggy.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    the only issue in ts2 for me was the ugly sims and the needs that are decaying way too fast, it took out the enjoyment of me playing the game because i have to babysit my sims 24/7.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    Sims 2:
    Pros: extremely detailed gameplay, fears and wants, so many things to discover (it took me 15+ years to learn that tvs can fall off the wall), that little penguin who walks around, actual consequences for your sims, memories, slightly darker humor, cutscenes!
    Cons: the clothing style is stuck in the 2000’s, building feels awful, a lot of features are broken which requires mods to fix them, and using in-game features can corrupt your game (this one is the worst for me. I love TS2, but the fact that i have to be so careful of what i do to avoid corruption, makes me not wanna play)

Sims 3:
    Pros: a lot of different things you can do gameplay wise, the worlds are beautiful, create-a-style was nice, did one of my favorite songs in simlish (1+ from me!)
    Cons: the sims looks ugly, open world, probably caused the deaths of at least 3 of my old laptops

Sims 4:
    Pros: beautiful worlds and sims, runs great on my current PC even when i have 10+ GB of CC, building feels a lot nicer than the previous games, the gallery is great, i can play for hours without getting bored
    Cons: not enough traits and aspirations, some age groups gets neglected in favor of YA (especially female YA’s), there’s no real consequences for most of your sims actions and nothing bad ever happens to them, the lack or NPC’s like firemen, robbers, etc
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    edited November 2019
    If I'd had to put it, I'd put it so.
    The Sims 1:
    Pros:
    • This game put the foundation to the future games.
    • It has the least amount of expansion packs.
    • Children can do a lot there. For example cast spells, take bills out of the mailbox, take care of a baby etc.
    • The music.
    • The budget window that opens up when clicking on the household funds. Am I the only one who liked it?
    Cons:
    • Needs go down so fast. Seriously, players who keep 5 or more sims happy for 20 days or more have earned bragging rights.
    • So little customizability.
    • Sims can drown randomly!
    • No aging. A child growing up is literally a witchcraft.
    • Sims are so mean. :'( (It's so hard to make friends)

The Sims 2:
    Pros:
    • Aging and new life stages!
    • More ability to customize sims, houses, and neighborhoods.
    • Wants and fears and aspirations.
    • First must-have expansion packs (University, Seasons etc).
    • So many details and fun secrets.
    Cons:
    • Easy to corrupt. Delete a sim and watch your neighborhood go down at varying speeds.
    • Taking care of pregnant sims (I've had few of them die already).
    • The first game to have stuff packs.
    • If you want to have the best game (seeable neighborhood on lots, influence bar etc), you'll need the latest expansion/stuff pack.
    • Is it me or is it really hard to fill up a community activity center lot?

The Sims 3:
    Pros:
    • Create a style adds more customizability.
    • Open world and community lot types.
    • The first game where aging and life span is customizable.
    • So many things to do and so many new skills (No more moments where painting makes sims a good piano player anymore!).
    • The first game to have moodlets so the mood bar isn't directly tied to needs.
    Cons:
    • It crashes so often and has many bugs. Mods are required to play it perfectly.
    • Rotational play is so hard.
    • This game can scare you with loud noises! They happen when you least expect it (Meteors, krakens, vending machines crushing sims etc.).
    • Unforunately, I have to bring out the open world. Sometimes you'll need to go home and away quick or one of your sim dies.
    • 11 expasnsion packs, some stuff packs, and a lot of The Sims 3 Store content.

The Sims 4:
    Pros:
    • Easier to create sims and build houses.
    • It brings thing that allows players to customize their game (clubs, vampire perks and weaknesses etc).
    • Toddlers!
    • The first game where computer and console version is the same.
    • Manage households. It allows players to edit households (Change Sim with ability to add and remove sims).
    Cons:
    • So... many... expansion, game, and stuff... packs... It's enough to drown in them.
    • Bugs that take long time to be fixed and simulation lag.
    • There's isn't a lot of trait slots.
    • No matter what, if you play your game rotationally with some expansion packs, you will see your sims wearing bad fashion.
    • There are things missing. Some have been brought back, some still isn't back (my sims are burning to death!).
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Bookmarked for later.
  • WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    TS1
    Pros: Sense of humor, Extreme difficulty, Great expansions (honorable mentions: Superstar and Makin Magic), quirky NPCs
    Cons: CAS, Build/Buy, No aging up, Extreme difficulty (lol)

TS2
    Pros: Every single thing except for the cons
    Cons: Sims don't look good

TS3
    Cons: Bad performance

TS4
    Pros: CAS, Build/Buy, Everything looks stunning, Travelling between worlds
    Cons: Sims don't have personalities, Not much quirkiness/sense of humor, Most packs feel lacking
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    TS1:
    Pros: Nostalgia
    Cons: Pretty much everything else. It was great for its time, but there's no way I can go back.

TS2:
    Pros: The details and how alive the Sims feel. The memory system. Etc.
    Cons: It's so hard to keep them alive without cheating oh my God. So frustrating. Also the clothes are terribly outdated by today's standards and aren't that cute. Another con is how empty the neighborhoods are. Say what you will about TS4 but at least the neighborhoods actually look like NEIGHBORHOODS.

TS3:
    Pros: Open world, supernaturals, customization
    Cons: University, the LAG, the pudding faces, the dull colors.

TS4:
    Pros: BEAUTIFUL. Stunning. Finally, a game that looks like it takes place in the modern day. CAS is much improved as well. And I guess building but I don't use that so.
    Cons: Sims can sometimes feel stiff, the drought for supernatural players, the lack of specific things for teens to do.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    TS1

TS2

Sims 2 sims are some of the best (with CC). Every bit as nice as S4.
    vE7Dx4i.png

• WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    TS1

TS2

Sims 2 sims are some of the best (with CC). Every bit as nice as S4.
    vE7Dx4i.png

Yeah I don't use CC so to me they look really bad. Specially the pre-made and townies. This sim really does look great, congrats!
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I never come back to Sims 4. I come back to Sims 3. The reason is simple: Sims 4 becomes boring after a while and Sims 3 somehow does not. Sims 4 is “so, what shall I go do next” and Sims 3 is “oh dear, is that the time, where did it go?”
    5JZ57S6.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,710 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I never come back to Sims 4. I come back to Sims 3. The reason is simple: Sims 4 becomes boring after a while and Sims 3 somehow does not. Sims 4 is “so, what shall I go do next” and Sims 3 is “oh dear, is that the time, where did it go?”

Same for me! But for different reasons of course. :p

Same for me! But for different reasons of course. :p
    Yes, I of course mean it in a “what on earth shall I do next” kind of way, the feeling I have to come up with it myself constantly. The game triggers nothing, while Sims 3 constantly does. I remember the first few months I played Sims 3 that even confused me, because I’d never played games, wasn’t interested in playing games, didn’t mean to continue playing this game, it wasn’t even mine. Why on earth did it captivate me so much. Sims 3 constantly carries me, where Sims 4 needs to be carried by me. That probably describes it best for me. But yeah, I understand for you that same line will apply in a positive, gleefully way ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    TS1:

TS3:

I agree about the dull color choices for most of the lots. I always wondered why the lot designers always went with such dull colors when they have the full use of the color palette? When I move my household into a home, one of the first things I change are the colors used in the home to something brighter, more cheerful.
    TS1:

TS3:

I agree about the dull color choices for most of the lots. I always wondered why the lot designers always went with such dull colors when they have the full use of the color palette? When I move my household into a home, one of the first things I change are the colors used in the home to something brighter, more cheerful.
    I actually don’t, I love all the worlds for instance, including its colours. In the earlier worlds houses may be decorated a bit dull but I actually think they might have done that due to the misconception everybody would love to jump on it with CASt. Not how it works of course. Later worlds therefore most of the time look fine (interiors).

Besides, if colours in Sims 3 are your issue, eeeeeeeh :grimace:
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    TS1:

TS3:

I actually don’t, I love all the worlds for instance, including its colours. In the earlier worlds houses may be decorated a bit dull but I actually think they might have done that due to the misconception everybody would love to jump on it with CASt. Not how it works of course. Later worlds therefore most of the time look fine (interiors).

Yeah, I don't have many complaints about TS3. The dull colors used for the homes is really one of the very few pet peeves I have about the game and even that is very easy and quick to fix. I agree with you that they might have used dull colors to encourage simmers to use CASt more often.

I only commented about the dull colors, because right now I'm feeling too lazy to write out my pros and cons of each iteration. :)
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Sims 1
    Pros: Sims are full of personality
    Cons: No teens or toddlers and bassinet babies, cant make your own world

Sims 2
    Pros : Sims are full of personality, amazingly done retail, cars, the detail and animations for everything, can make your own world
    Cons: Did not go on forever, no body hair in CAS or ability to change body types

Sims 3
    Pros: Open world, customization with color wheel and patterns, can make your own world
    Cons: Pudding face, game issues lag and so on, limited hard to use face sliders, burrito babies

Sims 4
    Pros: Push and pull system in CAS, clubs, calendars
    Cons: Sims have no personality, no cars, babies locked to bassinet, no way to create a world or edit it

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 784 Member
    edited November 2019
    Sims 1:

PROS: No aging,great soundtrack,awesome graphics,provides hours and hours of fun!

CONS: Needs drained too quickly,could not build basements,that annoying organ grinder! You had to place pet cages and the pet trainer on your lot just ot keep the organ grinder away.

I never played much of Sims 2,but I loved the Create-a-World option!

Sims 3.I coud not play it because of countless bugs,crashes,freezing and glitches

Sims 4"

PROS:Nice graphics,and the color wheel for cats and dogs.

CONS: Worlds that are waaaay too small,base game lots/types being plunked into every new pack that comes out. Hopefully with 32-bit support being dropped,EA will give us bigger worlds and new lot types/venues(I hope).
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    In Sims 1, you could homeschool kids from the bookcase and make more variety in types of families/stories because of that. I used to like playing around with making latchkey kids, orphan kids, Peter Pan stories, and the like. It was always a challenge to see how far you could get them.

I also liked so much that I could throw parties and teleport in as many sims as my computer would let me. It was my game, there were no limits, and the parties were so much fun. I used to like it when Drew Carey showed up because I could try to prank and torture him.

In Sims 2, I liked the gardening and seasons system better than any iteration. Gardening had good features like composting, and seasons were something my Sims had to plan ahead for if they were live-off-the land types. I miss the strategy and planning aspect that mirrors what we do in real life for things like that.

In Sims 3, the open world felt like an adventure. I loved always having lots of exploration to do on every map - it added to that sense of adventure. I also liked being able to play as a pet, follow them around the map and seeing the places they would go and the things they would do. Living vicariously as a pet was fun and always led to new discoveries that I didn't know about before. And somewhere, unfailingly, I could always catch Imogene Pelly's dog peeing on her foot.

One con of the earlier games that I'm glad we don't have to deal with is the no-shoes problem.
    We can pick shoes for our outfits now, yay!
    edited November 2019
    TS1:

TS3:

Yeah, I don't have many complaints about TS3. The dull colors used for the homes is really one of the very few pet peeves I have about the game and even that is very easy and quick to fix. I agree with you that they might have used dull colors to encourage simmers to use CASt more often.

I only commented about the dull colors, because right now I'm feeling too lazy to write out my pros and cons of each iteration. :)
    Lol ;) Well, if I try to come up with pros and cons myself:

Sims 1
    Pros: charming, lively, funny, sharp
    Cons: focus on making your sims survive and being happy, which is really hard so it’s about all you do (well, that’s how it was for me anyway)

Sims 2
    Pros: lovely, funny, palpable because of the refined personalities and relationships
    Cons: closed off lots, no time continuing, it’s very home centered because of this (at least for me it was)

Sims 3
    Pros: open world, CASt, everything seems to be designed for us players to go ahead and make everything our own. It’s my ultimate dreamworld. And there’s so much to do and discover.
    Cons: buggy (though that’s ok nowadays, with the mods I have and no more patches or new packs) and... I genuinely don’t know. The EA puddingfaces I guess but I love my own sims so I can live with that.

Sims 4
    Pros: smooth and lively animations, CAS is good, some amazing building tools, hats on any hairstyle (ok, found a Sims 3 CON after all!), buying mode is well organized, toddlers are great.
    Cons: multitasking that isn’t multitasking at all but just slowing down things, the emotion system that kills their personality (the auras basically, making them all identical), sims not facing each other when talking, rather dull behaviour of sims (the interactions aren’t ever surprising or triggering), the cartoony and rubber art style (not for me). And grinding gameplay (often based on checklists). P.s. forgot one and it’s a real last but not least for me: the tiny neighborhoods and loading screens that completely seperate you from your other sims while (in contrast to Sims 2) time continues, so they just hang there doing nothing. I love being able to control them all at all times, for me that’s essential. And everything is too set in stone. Very little catering the player’s creativity and freedom.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • thesimmer14thesimmer14 Posts: 393 Member
    edited November 2019
    Faberries wrote: »
    Sims 2:
    Pros: extremely detailed gameplay, fears and wants, so many things to discover (it took me 15+ years to learn that tvs can fall off the wall), that little penguin who walks around, actual consequences for your sims, memories, slightly darker humor, cutscenes!
    Cons: the clothing style is stuck in the 2000’s, building feels awful, a lot of features are broken which requires mods to fix them, and using in-game features can corrupt your game (this one is the worst for me. I love TS2, but the fact that i have to be so careful of what i do to avoid corruption, makes me not wanna play)

Sims 3:
    Pros: a lot of different things you can do gameplay wise, the worlds are beautiful, create-a-style was nice, did one of my favorite songs in simlish (1+ from me!)
    Cons: the sims looks ugly, open world, probably caused the deaths of at least 3 of my old laptops

Sims 4:
    Pros: beautiful worlds and sims, runs great on my current PC even when i have 10+ GB of CC, building feels a lot nicer than the previous games, the gallery is great, i can play for hours without getting bored
    Cons: not enough traits and aspirations, some age groups gets neglected in favor of YA (especially female YA’s), there’s no real consequences for most of your sims actions and nothing bad ever happens to them, the lack or NPC’s like firemen, robbers, etc

I vaguely remember a TV falling off the wall in TS2 when I played it as a kid. It scared the plum out of me! I always thought it was a false memory, because I'd never heard of it happening it to anyone else. Even when I downloaded UC, the TVs would stay on the wall. So I guess it is a thing, or, at least a very rare thing. :p