Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your Discover University Rating!

Aaaaaaand here it is again, my "your _NEW Pack_ rating" thread :) Always love doing these & very curious to know how you guys feel about this one! I'll add my rating later on below.

Please remember, though, as always: this is supposed to be a helpful thread for those who are still on the fence about this pack. Feel free to voice your opinions, but don't go attacking others for theirs. And try to be a little objective.

So, without further ado: on a scale from 1 to 10 - 1 being "I wish I could return this atrocity" and 10 being "Simtastic, best pack ever" - how would YOU rate Discover University?

Your Discover University Rating! 155 votes

2%
gettpsBagoas77smurfy77AmbyCakes 4 votes
1%
AnmirlaChadSims2Faust-RSI 3 votes
2%
barracuda1574Tenchi2ajoRN1414NorthDakotaGamer 4 votes
3%
mercuryfoamhalloweenchildLemon405TPMoriartytownie1010 5 votes
10%
UnDutchableMylitaSusanaLeotemcorralfriendlysimmersAmj1995Foxrox77jheyjuneicebixtersDoodlyDoofuscosta09MoonSimValeahbirdonawireSERVERFRAizecsontheaethanrealm 17 votes
8%
Jadeleinekristen_k7mcruddasimbsimchrstal27beachbug98DanmanNefariusSigzy05EricasFreePlaytachy0niclogionadrieleeWildDreams118 13 votes
20%
CK213Frn0731GalacticGalalexspoom13pajamajam07ashcrash19emereDaemonPawsAPottsDevilNDisguisesillyangel0906Kissarahclover24JAYSIMMS2004sailboatsandpearlsFanPhoriaRae357PeppermixAkilDrakos 32 votes
23%
IcewolfNighteyesstoryyaelias24magooo63AyradyssSimpatsyannMontrase102AlrynnsennawalesStrangerthanelanorbretonloubyloulouirishluck1986BabykittyjaderaybigbearLoriTSpSelinaKylesEvaliynjoleaco 37 votes
19%
Akl500Pjeepjeepcatalan650111danacnbrettjustChrisUktaydevDaB1gVChampandGirlieSindocatTomaTerianosesTwoeta_BirdKiwicantdiePamtastic72jennlynhSimTrippyJemmaTheSimmerChazzzysimsteph21Behappy1st 30 votes
6%
IceyJlove7680PlayerSinger2010cchant86catloverplayersmurf45blueKhrisstyneDoloresGreyMorkovkatsing_306 10 votes

Comments

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Oh I'm sorry, I hadn't realized someone else had already started a similar thread :( I've just gotten used to doing these I guess. Nvmd then! :D
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    10 but Seasons is tied with it for best ever.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited November 2019
    I love cas and most of the game play but going to classes is such a pain, at least in Foxbury. Those plumming stairs that make biking slower than walking, it takes 1-1,5 hours to get to the building. Sims usually leave early autonomously, but if you cancel it by accident, you're in trouble (=late).
    Then there is the problem of Sims going to classes too early. They arrive few minutes too early and sometimes they get bored of waiting and decide to go back to dorm to get a glass of water. Good luck trying to cancel the action, especially when there are stairs on the way... :s
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I love cas and most of the game play but going to classes is such a pain, at least in Foxbury. Those plumming stairs that make biking slower than walking, it takes 1-1,5 hours to get to the building. Sims usually leave early autonomously, but if you cancel it by accident, you're in trouble (=late).
    Then there is the problem of Sims going to classes too early. They arrive few minutes too early and sometimes they get bored of waiting and decide to go back to dorm to get a glass of water. Good luck trying to cancel the action, especially when there are stairs on the way... :s

Funny you say that, I just finished watching Carl's review and that's exactly what he complains about too :joy:

Definitely not an issue in Britecheser!
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    I love cas and the build mode items. I dont like that anything else university related is rabbit holes. It would have been so nice if atleast one class could have been like sims 3 where you actually attend the class. Still playing though so might change my mind. But for now its a 6 from me ;) Happy simming everyone <3
  • clover24clover24 Posts: 887 Member
    I like the cas items, wish for more male options. And overall the experience at uni has been fun so far. I have a couple of niggles with it, like please npc take a shower or go to sleep. And it seems a little empty in places as though not many sims are attending uni. It’s a nice break inbetween teen growing up and getting a job.
  • CapitolSimmerCapitolSimmer Posts: 18 Member
    i love the cas items overall. the build mode items could use some more swatches (why release an ikea furniture set with university prints on them but not have the other items be the same wood colour?). expansions such as university are also quite uniquely american and i'm not sure if i like that all too much.
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    That happened to my sim to, so now when I get to class and I'm waiting I have him walk back and forth, over and over. Don't talk to anyone, just walk up and down the path and stay close. When its almost time stop telling him to walk., also he always seems to go about 5-10 minutes late, but thats ok. It made me nervous at first because I thought he wasn't going but after 5-10 minutes he did go. Thats every time so its ok.> @Kimmer said:
    > I love cas and most of the game play but going to classes is such a pain, at least in Foxbury. Those plumming stairs that make biking slower than walking, it takes 1-1,5 hours to get to the building. Sims usually leave early autonomously, but if you cancel it by accident, you're in trouble (=late).
    > Then there is the problem of Sims going to classes too early. They arrive few minutes too early and sometimes they get bored of waiting and decide to go back to dorm to get a glass of water. Good luck trying to cancel the action, especially when there are stairs on the way... :s
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    i give it a 5 out of 5 its good but not top on my list
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited December 2019
    I'd give that thang a smooth 9!
    Post edited by Chazzzy on
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    So far, I have only enrolled one Sim in University. The application process took too long in my opinion. I am used to just moving my Sims to University and picking a dorm room for them to claim (Sims 2). She has done her homework for one of the classes she is enrolled in. She hasn't actually attended a class yet (I haven't played that long yet). I am hoping to get more playing time this weekend so I can actually get a feel for the classes and time it takes to complete a degree. I will come back and edit this post after I play a bit longer.
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    I'm not likely to rate anything 10, so I've done 9. But it's one of the best packs to date. My only complaint is lack of lots and flexibility of lots. I want to add a bar/club to the campuses. Trying to convert the university housing lots to venues looks a bit out of place. Also the stove in dorms issue. Aside from that, great pack! I'm about a third of the way through rebuilding Britechester and loving it. One sim is halfway through her degree and loving it. Only bug I'm having is roommates/NPCs failing their degrees.

Overall, good solid pack. BB is good, gameplay is good, haven't looked at a lot of the CAS but what I've seen seems good. I'm really happy with it :).
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    A solid 9 from me. I can’t rate it a 10 because there are little things here and there that bug me (like roommates not attending to their needs very well) but overall it’s a fantastic pack and my favorite behind seasons. The CAS is probably my favorite ever especially for male sims. The BB is solid as well with some really versatile items.

The gameplay is just enjoyable. I like the different tasks you have to do for the classes. The organizations are fun to mess around with and a challenge to keep up with. I like that it’s actually hard and adds a good challenge to the game depending on how many classes you take. The amount of replayability with this pack is also a huge plus. I’ll use it frequently. The only downside is having to freeze aging during uni but that’s fine and not a huge deal gives me more time with my sims.

The world is also beautiful and you can swim in certain areas which is a cool plus. I also like having two campuses to choose from and how different they are. Ive still got a lot of exploring to do with this pack but it’s a top pack to me for the time being and I’m thinking it’s going to remain that way.
  • thesimseveningsthesimsevenings Posts: 16 Member
    There are bits of annoyance here and there such as Sims wanting to get on bicycle in Foxbury and Foxbury having so many staircases. And cafeteria food service provider popping in after your Sim arrives on the lot. etc.

But I love this pack!

It helps the Sim skill up about 6-8 levels. And in a way, gives players the opportunity to tell the story of a mid-career switch through study, or the little rich girl not knowing what to focus on and just wants to try a bit of everything.

I can’t bear doing Mean and Mischief actions but that Villainy degree skills up my Sim who wants to be an Intergalactic Smuggler while maintaining a pristine reputation.

And the roommate system! OMG. Haha. I got to have my Sim choose a partner from meeting so many new Sims at university.

Even in base game, I can have a mansion and middle class family get tenants as they struggle to pay bills.

To me, this opens up so many options to do things that I previously wouldn’t do in the game (I know this is a game). And also opens other ideas that I hadn’t thought about in my storytelling.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited December 2019
    8 because its a great pack. Anyone interested in university would love it. I like it but university was never my favorite subject of interest.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    edited December 2019
    would have given it a 9 for it's gameplay and new stuff but the random generated sims utterly dominating the whole experience is a HUGE letdown for me and already caused me to just get my degrees from home and avoid dorm life entirely. roomamtes also is just a ticket for randoms to invade your lot so yeah…. big big disappointment for me :/ still, quite enjoyable otherwise and i LOVE the return of paid skill classes and having to put in work to get that perfect degree is something i for one enjoy! sure getting promos and cash is easy but it adds some immersion the game desperately needs.

like i said, 9 overall but a large penalty for the random generated sim dominion which is already a big problem in this game imo and uni made it even worse… and anyone who cared to read my nonsense knows i despise the random generated sims because of how much the game seems to favor them over premades and sims i housed for the purpose to be the townies i want to be part of the game instead of Genji Ghomari the pearshaped creep acting like he is all that even tho there is zero to him...

so the final verdict is a meager 6.. i will use some of the features but yeah… i will avoid the actual location as much as i can to reduce the explosive townie generation at least somewhat.
    Post edited by DanmanNefarius on
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    One of my favorites. It’s a high 8 for me. I wish biking was easier in foxbury, kids could bike, and that we had graduation parties. But I love it, and can’t wait for my next sim to age up, so I can go back.
  • BradyGalaxyBradyGalaxy Posts: 306 Member
    8! Love this pack, especially the CAS and Build mode, but University itself is not all that great. Don't get me wrong, I love the atmosphere and having to cram stuff in while trying to maintain a decent social life, but it's just the rabbit holes and all the loading screens. There should've been at least one class per a term for each degree where you could go with your sim and do some stuff, I think. And the commons should really be apart of the whole University, and not just a travel location. I would've used the commons more if there was no loading screen. Overall, great pack, might be one of my all time favorites in TS4, but it doesn't have enough needed features/refinements to give it a 9, or 10.
    Proud simmer
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Its not the top of my favorite packs in the world. I don't like sims going to college so I find this pack meh.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • kateoverendkateoverend Posts: 7,985 Member
    mcrudd wrote: »
    I love cas and the build mode items. I dont like that anything else university related is rabbit holes. It would have been so nice if atleast one class could have been like sims 3 where you actually attend the class. Still playing though so might change my mind. But for now its a 6 from me ;) Happy simming everyone <3
    Thank you for your honest opinion. As a huge Sim fan I value your opinion. The RHs are a big concern for me. There seems to be an even split of negative vs positive opinions.
    I have decided to wait for DU to come on sale before I purchase.
    rnKEhBT.png
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited December 2019
    I shoud have waited a bit more until rating DU.

I had only experienced Foxbury when I gave my rating. There is something really wrong about Foxbury. Among all the bike & stairs problems there is a problem that my Sims don't get go to class early option on some days, one of my Sims in Foxbury hasn't gotten it at all for few days and he's been late on his classes all the time.

Britechester works perfectly for me. All my Sims get the option to go to class early every day, there hasn't been any problems.

I would like to raise my rating to 8. Foxbury gets 6 and Britechester gets 9 from me. I love living in dorms and I love the dorm mates having different personalities.
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,181 Member
    Have to move my Sim into a private house because all the roommates lag my game. Which is surprising because....my game never lags. It's like wow, the Sims I don't play as are so lively now! But then on the other hand all of that is messing with me.

Also, I need a mod that shortens the time required to graduate. I mean really, a minimum of three weeks? I've done just about everything you can do in college.....and I still have another week and a half before my Sim graduates. This is honestly my pet peeve of the College expansions ever since Sims 2. Too much time being put into college, you send one Sim to college and after doing everything in one semester/term you have no desire to ever send another Sim to college. Was hoping they'd fix that on their third try at making a university expansion.

Just my honest Nitpicks. I like the activities and all that but....good golly.....
  • sennawalessennawales Posts: 192 Member
    Overall I liked the expansion, there was a level of difficulty in doing 3-4 classes, although just like in Sims 3 I didn't like how taking 4 classes meant just sitting at a desk for the whole day (and I'm glad I didn't have to sit at more desks for active classes). 2-3 classes seems to be the best balance for what a university experience should be, which makes the requirement of 12 a real slog - 6-8 would have been a good balance.

It takes ages to go to class in Foxbury, and I liked how that made me pay a lot of attention to my sims' schedules so that they dropped everything before the 1-hour warning and going to class early. I found it frustrating that there was no indication as to which building I was supposed to go for each class, and that there was no manual option to go to class whether early or on time. As others have mentioned, bicycles were useless (I sold it) but brooms were fun, especially because they used the balcony as their landing area.

In Britechester, Darkwing House was broom-unfriendly, as the landing area was on the roof, and my sims got stuck many times. Other than that, it was very well designed - it's clear that was the uni they put most of their efforts in.

With the exception of Honeydew Fields, all the lots were very well made. I disagree with the complaints that Foxbury Commons is too empty, as I found it often bustling with students. Not a problem, I copied and slightly modified Mossy Lane for Honeydew.

Robotics/engineering was fun, it feels like a real accomplishment to build an exomech suit or servo. My only complaint here is the colour options, specifically, where is the red helmet? There's red for everything else.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    I like it overall, but it can be a bit of a grind. I have to say that I opted to play back-to-back terms just to get all four of my Sims through it at one time. The last two terms felt more like a grind, as a result. I do enjoy the credit system. I like how I could find things of interest for my Sims to do while they lived on campus. Took me a good four terms before I realized how the Commons worked, though. And one brother decided to purchase the small fridge and also a microwave. But, thankfully, I discovered they could all go to the Commons and have an actual Holiday meal when it rolled around. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    I like it but I think that they released it too soon. I think it could have benefited if they had worked on it for a few more months if that would have meant that we could have gotten more content and animations. I think they could have worked more on the classes, roommates, graduations, organizations and side activities. There was potential there but it is cut short by their limitations that I find odd that they still do in 2019.