Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

PSA: Have You Backed Up Your Save File Lately?

Reading the posts about the new updates not playing nicely with some OS's and the planned obsolescence that caught people off guard as well, much sympathy to those affected. I think most of us have lost important data or files at one time or another and it stinks every time.

This is a friendly reminder to everyone that it is a really good idea to make a backup copy of your Saved Games folder and place the copy outside of your Sims game folders. It may help save you from catastrophic computer failure, updates that go wrong and/or other types of unexpected borkedness. Your saved game copy may not always be up to date but it may help keep you from losing everything.

Comments

• crazycleopatracrazycleopatra Posts: 22 Member
    ___
    no
  • crazycleopatracrazycleopatra Posts: 22 Member
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    i have never backed it up
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Thank you for the reminder, OP.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I back mine up fairly regular.
  • FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    Last year my game wouldn’t work, and i had to uninstall and install the game again several times. While that was going on, i accidentally messed up my folders and lost like two months of progress, which was incredibly frustrating

I’ve never been good at backing up my saves and mods, but after all that I’m trying to get better at remembering to do it. I even made a new folder just for backups (i used to just put them on my desktop which was not a good idea)
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    i have never backed it up

:o
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I'm paranoid and do it before every update.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I wrote a script that backs mine up automatically. No worries there.
  • NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    I do not back mine up as I really do not care. Any builds I do are saved on the gallery with a WIP title and that is that.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    Faberries wrote: »
    Last year my game wouldn’t work, and i had to uninstall and install the game again several times. While that was going on, i accidentally messed up my folders and lost like two months of progress, which was incredibly frustrating

I’ve never been good at backing up my saves and mods, but after all that I’m trying to get better at remembering to do it. I even made a new folder just for backups (i used to just put them on my desktop which was not a good idea)

Just go into your game folder via the documents and right click on the entire folder, select copy and then paste it where you wish. You can also do the same with any file inside the main folder to create a backup. It's so easy, even this creeping up on age 65 year old can do it. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 961 Member
    edited November 2019
    Daephene wrote: »

Are updates always announced before they hit? Origin and TS4 always just surprise me with one while I'm launching.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

Are updates always announced before they hit? Origin and TS4 always just surprise me with one while I'm launching.

Origin updates aren't, but TS4 patches tend to be the week before a pack releases or at the beginning of a month lately.

I leave my game with auto-updating off just so it doesn't start updating without me choosing to do so.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    edited November 2019
    I usually back up before each GP or EP. Last back up I did was beforr I downloaded Island Living. I will again before I purchase University
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie

There's a fix for that, you can turn off Origin's auto-updates and select: User Installs Updates (After Safely Removing Mods Folder and Backing Up Save Games) option, that should help keep you from being surprised by updates.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I don't even know how to do that.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I'm so paranoid. I have two backup copies of my TS4 folders, one if from the previous update and the other is from the update before that. Just in case.

I always create copies before updates and before the installation of new packs. Have never had an issue before, but better safe than sorry!

Thanks for putting out this reminder for others.
  • HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    In 2018 there was a security issue with my Macbook that prevented access to the start-up disk and as a result I couldn't get to my save data from The Sims 4. I was devastated because to gain access to my laptop I had to wipe all the data on that start-up disk which got rid of basically everything. If it weren't for the fact that I uploaded my main save file to a usb in 2017 so that I could transfer that save to my brother's computer I would have lost a save I was building since 2015.

Still, there was a whole year of lost data, but in that year I did nothing more than small challenges. Gosh, talk about lesson well learned. And speaking of that reminds me...

Thanks for this thread btw.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    Nope. :D
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif

Do you mean you don't know how to turn off the Origin auto-updates or that you aren't sure how to create a back up save file or something else?
    DeKay wrote: »
    Nope. :D

You no backup saves types give me a nervous twitch. lol
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I back up all my documents weekly.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,886 Member
    never backed it up and also never had problems

in general I just don't care that much like if my saves wipe out i can always start new saves
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited November 2019
    Yes, I make backups of my saves and also the tray folder from time to time. Mostly when it is time for a new patch, or when I am installing new mods.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Catzilla wrote: »

Do you mean you don't know how to turn off the Origin auto-updates or that you aren't sure how to create a back up save file or something else?

Sorry, I should have specified. I don't know how to back up my saves.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I try to so once a week. Ive got 2 saves and my main one is my baby. Id hate to lose that one.