March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I give up! What's the secret?

I give up. What's the secret to getting more downloads?

When I create a Sim and post it, it gets 1 download and 2 favorites. (Full disclosure: one of those favorites is me!)
d7BvqfG.jpg

When Maxis copies my Sim Story idea it gets 141,882 downloads and 763 favorites.
7FQif7v.jpg

(YES, the bumble bee thing was mine, too.)
219FPyU.jpg

Comments

• NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Well, Maxis is pretty well known for one. You can use more hashtags like gender and age. Other than, just keep at it. Just make sure your Sims are something others want ;)

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• greenXengreenXen Posts: 1,227 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    Well, Maxis is pretty well known for one. You can use more hashtags like gender and age. Other than, just keep at it. Just make sure your Sims are something others want ;)

Sure. Thanks for replying.

The thing is . . . Maxis did promote my Sim, it still didn't get downloads.

GwapOIL.jpg

I think if people just didn't like the Sim, they wouldn't have downloaded the Maxis version either.

Seems like there's more to it . . .
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    They didn’t copy you. The Maxis version has been a preset you could get since before Get Famous came out, the Maxis Gallery version is just the one with all of the outfits, a name, and traits. People like official sims.

And I’m pretty sure he just liked the puns, and it’s not like he was going to Songs of Innocence your sims into people’s library or whatever.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    I get 1 or 2 downloads too, especially on sims. I think that's normal. Maybe try building instead? Lots seem to be a little bit more in demand.
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    They didn’t copy you. The Maxis version has been a preset you could get since before Get Famous came out, the Maxis Gallery version is just the one with all of the outfits, a name, and traits. People like official sims.

And I’m pretty sure he just liked the puns, and it’s not like he was going to Songs of Innocence your sims into people’s library or whatever.

The Sim is a pre-made (with some adjustments), but they used a derivative story. There are more than a few Sims I made months ahead of them appearing as "Maxis made" Sims, including the ones in the banner on this page (and re-branded art). For example, my curvy, purple haired lesbian Sim . . .

r3ymu0a.jpg

And her girlfriend . . .

ynfhkmQ.jpg

I know the resemblance for someone not close to the work isn't immediately obvious. But . . .

My under cover cop Sim + 1st hit for undercover cop on Google = banner Sim

BowyDkf.jpg

At the same time, I posted a scarfed photographer . . . you get the idea. And if not, oh well. The point of this thread is not to discuss Maxis' appropriation of materials. I just want some tips on how to increase downloads.

There's obviously some interest in the Sims themselves, just not when I post them. How do others get noticed? Some people are able to get hundreds, thousands, or tens of thousands of downloads while other equally as good, or sometimes better work, goes ignored.

musteni wrote: »
    I get 1 or 2 downloads too, especially on sims. I think that's normal. Maybe try building instead? Lots seem to be a little bit more in demand.

You're right. I noticed that, too. But, I'd like to find out about Sims since I'm into character creation. I think that there's more to it than luck to getting a large number of downloads, faved by Maxis, etc.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member
    There's no secret to it. But I'mma tell you something. If you can get Maxis to favorite your sim on the gallery, that will also get you more downloads. It has nothing to do with how pretty or creative your sim/sim story is. One of my Sims got a lot of downloads cuz of that.

And I'm talking about really like a favorite on the Gallery. Not a tweet about it.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    The easy answer: custom poses. Don’t you know that anyone who’s anyone on the Gallery is using custom poses? All the cool kids are doing it. And if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    The easy answer: custom poses. Don’t you know that anyone who’s anyone on the Gallery is using custom poses? All the cool kids are doing it. And if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.

It also helps if you post your sims on reddit or twitter or something.
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    There's no secret to it. But I'mma tell you something. If you can get Maxis to favorite your sim on the gallery, that will also get you more downloads. It has nothing to do with how pretty or creative your sim/sim story is. One of my Sims got a lot of downloads cuz of that.

And I'm talking about really like a favorite on the Gallery. Not a tweet about it.

i must of put about 80 downloadable things up there and none of them got a look in by maxis, i don't advertise them anywhere. I have one lot i had built, the manning-keating manor, that i got about 100 downloads and 20 favorites without maxis support, but that was a while back. i have a few others similar to that in lots, and the most recent Firelli house got me about 40 downloads and a number of favorites.

In a sense i beat them without joining them, but clearly not interesting enough to get noticed. so how does one get maxis to like anything?
    Hoverael wrote: »

i must of put about 80 downloadable things up there and none of them got a look in by maxis, i don't advertise them anywhere. I have one lot i had built, the manning-keating manor, that i got about 100 downloads and 20 favorites without maxis support, but that was a while back. i have a few others similar to that in lots, and the most recent Firelli house got me about 40 downloads and a number of favorites.

In a sense i beat them without joining them, but clearly not interesting enough to get noticed. so how does one get maxis to like anything?

The one sim I made that got faved was a sim I sent for my friend's story challenge which she posted on this forum. So I guess the Maxis people read stories here?
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited November 2019
    @greenXen I get how you feel. I had this feeling recently, too. There was a Maxis fav not too long ago that was a group of different fairies:
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/57740A5DF98A11E98A9AFCF935A43D40

And here's my fairy crew, which I posted a few months prior:
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/4C2D7011B33B11E98D688BD3E38CA615

This was one of my favorite households, and I had a bunch a little details to make them look like they weren't quite human. I really felt like I did something different and got frustrated seeing something similar get the fav and all the downloads that came with it. But the thing is, it's all about taste. My crew definitely doesn't look as uniform, which can be a big appeal for a lot of people. Not to mention, tons of Simmers have done similar concepts in the past (a quick look through the gallery shows that), as original as it felt like I was being at the time.

It all comes down to personal preference, what Maxis happens to be looking for at the time (fairies made a lot more sense for an October fav than an August one), and just a bunch of luck. At the end of the day, I created the household for me, and I love playing with it, and whether it gets a few downloads or hundreds doesn't (or shouldn't, anyway) have any effect on my enjoyment. Besides, I still hold bragging rights as one of the few fairy-themed households that actually has a couple guys in it. I'm happy with that. And I might just download the Maxis-faved one, too. See how all these Sims get along.

Keep creating for you and make things you want to see in your game. :)
    Post edited by katrinasforest on
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.

The one sim I made that got faved was a sim I sent for my friend's story challenge which she posted on this forum. So I guess the Maxis people read stories here?

i created Sandra Matthews long before i posted a whole family around her on the "what did you do today?" thread, same with the Alderra's. It seems they don't look backwards either if that is also a valid point to make. Storytelling is not one of my strongest points.
  • TWSimGamer82TWSimGamer82 Posts: 456 Member
    The Maxis version is using only base game stuff and your sim is using stuff from multiple packs. This may be a factor in why you're getting only a couple of downloads. I'm not saying you'll get the numbers that Maxis gets, but trying to minimize the number of packs you use could get you some extra downloads.
    Sim: "I'm starving!"
    Player: *instructs sim to prepare meal* "Then eat something, you little goofball!"
    Sim: *starts cooking meal*
    -5 seconds later-
    Sim: *Stops cooking meal* "I'm so hungry!"
    Player: *head hits desk*
  • NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    edited November 2019
    The Maxis version is using only base game stuff and your sim is using stuff from multiple packs. This may be a factor in why you're getting only a couple of downloads. I'm not saying you'll get the numbers that Maxis gets, but trying to minimize the number of packs you use could get you some extra downloads.

This. I made a SIm that used only basegame items and it got 30x more downloads than one with multiple packs.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    The secret is to hit "Popular Now" and create something which matches the 20 clones you'll find on the screen
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member

This isn't true. I have almost 500 downloads and I haven't used a single custom pose.

Now, back to your question OP. Their really isn't much of a secret. But the longer you're on the gallery, and the more you post your builds on social media, it is true that you will get more downloads in the long run.
    funny-gifs20.gif

i created Sandra Matthews long before i posted a whole family around her on the "what did you do today?" thread, same with the Alderra's. It seems they don't look backwards either if that is also a valid point to make. Storytelling is not one of my strongest points.

I think the Maxis staff are more likely to read in the Stories and Legacies portion, not the Gen Disc. I can't remember where the What Did You Do Today thread but I believe it's in the Gen Disc, right?
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited November 2019

This isn't true. I have almost 500 downloads and I haven't used a single custom pose

It is absolutely true. You might be the exception to the rule, but a quick scroll through the most popular downloads tells the story. While it might be possible to “succeed” without custom poses, it’s obvious that downloaders favour them and the odds of getting noticed therefore increase when they’re used.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited November 2019
    This conversation has been mostly about sims, but I actually have a couple of tips in regard to lots. I don't advertise anywhere, I used to have a thread on these forums but haven't been updating it.

My most downloaded lot is Slum in a City with 1146 downloads (that's so many to me)
    I think that's because the building is rather niche and there's not that much competition when it comes to slums. Also perhaps because I made it soon after CL and it has that 30x30 lot size which is perfect for two San Myshuno lots. The downloads have been slowly accumulating. So maybe think of something a bit unusual that people might search for or make use of a less common lot size.

My second most popular build is Windenburg Vampire Castle with 231 downloads (notice the difference)
    That one I built and uploaded right after vampires came out and it got most of the downloads back then. So focus on when a new pack is coming out and make something themed - this could also be a good advise for creating sims.
    Post edited by musteni on

I think the Maxis staff are more likely to read in the Stories and Legacies portion, not the Gen Disc. I can't remember where the What Did You Do Today thread but I believe it's in the Gen Disc, right?

yep, it's in gen discussions and frankly that thread should of been moved long ago into the creative corner, because it fits the very purpose of what is a creative endeavour.
  • AgrestAgrest Posts: 28 Member
    As someone who has only recently started to upload things to the gallery and someone who doesn't have a youtube channel or a blog to advertise my creations, I do have a few tips. When uploading sims, custom poses with a close up on the face definitely help A LOT. Another good thing to do is to upload lots of base game only sims. People are a lot more likely to download them since they're more accessible. This works for builds as well, especially larger, base game family homes. The most important thing is to make it look interesting on the outside : )
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    I've noticed that lots are much more likely (and easier) to gain traction if you're looking for downloads and favorites. Honestly, almost anyone can make Sims themselves, so they don't seem as high in demand... however, lots are a different story. Not everyone wants to take the time to create great looking lots. Some people have issues doing so. Therefore, they often resort to downloading from the gallery.

The most I've gotten was like almost 200 downloads on a single lot. Oddly enough, I rarely get 'favorites', though. I also don't have the habit of using hashtags, so that's probably also why they're not getting as much attention as I would like them to. I've noticed that gallery items with hashtags are much more often downloaded and favorited than not.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg