Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only Discover University complaining thread!

Comments

• LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    tegteg87 wrote: »
    Vagenius wrote: »
    I find it odd that there's no kitchen either. What if my sim is going to get a culinary arts degree? They have to read a book to gain the skill of cooking? I mean sure it's doable but it would have been so much cooler to cook big meals for the dorm to gain cooking skill and feed your friends.

This! I get that maybe in the dorms (ie the penthouse lots that are meant to be like halls of residence) you wouldn't be allowed a stove, but why not in the general residential university housing? I lived in Halls with a dining room for my first year, so only had access to a microwave, but when I moved into student housing I had a full on kitchen. It's going to be really annoying for Culinary arts students to build their skill. Although I suppose I could make a community lot cookery 'skills lab' with stoves for students to use...

Because they’re all the same lot type 🙄 If they made Dorms and University Housing separate lots then yeah. But they’re not, if you want a stove then you’ll just have to live in plain old residential housing.

Hopefully our AWESOME modders will find a way to mod this silly restriction out.
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    KayeStar wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »
    I'll have to admit, after seeing some of the game changer's footage and comments, things look a lot better than I was expecting. Still not worth $40 in my opinion but I'm not a university player and never have been in any sims game. I played TS2 through uni maybe 3 times before I just starting making all of my teens skip it (and they all had aspiration failures over it *eyeroll* because everyone always goes to uni IRL...) and I never even bothered with it in TS3. TS2 uni added so many objects and clothes and other things I could play with though so I never really felt ripped off with it. They did a good job with it, it just wasn't my thing. *shrugs*

This version seemed like it was going to be a lot worse. Their marketing tactics were a little odd this time and made me fear the worse for the fans that have been waiting on this. Especially since this is probably the most player anticipated pack since seasons. It's still not looking like anything I want that much so I might pick it up on a sale down the road but it does look better than I had expected now, I'll give it that. The livestream did it no favours in my opinion. I was already on the fence about getting it on a sale and that livestream pushed me off into a hard no. Good thing they have the game changers because now I'm back on the fence again, although, I'll still be waiting for a sale. I just want the robots...
    Glad I'm not the only one. University is one of the most popular packs of the series in general, and I've always felt like an oddity for never caring for it.

Right? It's so mundane! (IMO) *yawn* That doesn't mean it can't have other good gameplay or objects or CAS in the packs though. TS2 still had things I liked, even after I decided that uni was a grind I didn't want to do. This pack looks ok. If someone was interested in uni, it probably could do the job but there still does feel like a lot is missing for a $40 pack. I'm feeling more like it's a game pack. Even then, for me, it's more like a stuff pack. Ha!

The concept of going to a college simulation is also something I'm not truly interested in either, and Uni was not on my wishlist for future pack themes in TS4 to begin with either. Hence why I've gone and decided to sequester all Uni education in an alt save to test out the things I'll like and don't like about my experience, and I'll playthrough at least one Sim graduating from both Universities before I just go ahead and cheat the degrees onto the rest of the 400+ Sims I've already created.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    LuvMySimz wrote: »
    tegteg87 wrote: »
    Vagenius wrote: »
    I find it odd that there's no kitchen either. What if my sim is going to get a culinary arts degree? They have to read a book to gain the skill of cooking? I mean sure it's doable but it would have been so much cooler to cook big meals for the dorm to gain cooking skill and feed your friends.

This! I get that maybe in the dorms (ie the penthouse lots that are meant to be like halls of residence) you wouldn't be allowed a stove, but why not in the general residential university housing? I lived in Halls with a dining room for my first year, so only had access to a microwave, but when I moved into student housing I had a full on kitchen. It's going to be really annoying for Culinary arts students to build their skill. Although I suppose I could make a community lot cookery 'skills lab' with stoves for students to use...

Because they’re all the same lot type 🙄 If they made Dorms and University Housing separate lots then yeah. But they’re not, if you want a stove then you’ll just have to live in plain old residential housing.

Hopefully our awesome modders will find a way to mod this silly restriction out.

Someone will...
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited November 2019
    I understand why people would be upset about kids being left out, multiple rabbit holes, and so on... but why are people upset about this? Have you guys never moved into a dorm room?

~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Marnetti wrote: »
    I understand why people would be upset about kids being left out, multiple rabbit holes, and so on... but why are people upset about this? Have you guys never moved into a dorm room?
    I am less worried about that now because yes, there are lots of things we’ll be able to drag out of the inventory.
    But it still wouldn’t look totally like that unless you decorate the whole room vs just your half. It’s not like NPCs will be decorating them autonomously (unless you count food, books and messes), right? So the other dorm rooms are still going to look pretty bare unless you take the time (and possible funds) to change that yourself.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member

Also...

DICU1ru.jpg
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Nothing ruins a well-built lot/room than terrible routing! :/
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I mean....I wouldn’t call it well built but I get what you mean 😬😂
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited November 2019
    First off this is a pack I hated in Sims 3 despite me being a realistic player and should have been one I would like so for Sims 4 I kept an open mind as other previous packs I hated in Sims 3 but love in 4 (City Living). After seeing the first trailer I liked the look of it and was intruiged about the pack. Then the gameplay trailer and livestream came out. I hate that you can't have stoves in dorms and I despise the CAS (I know this is a very unpopular opinion), plus the game play just does not interest me. Also after seeing the game changers videos I'm not keen on the BB stuff. This is a one use only pack for me as like Sim 3 I won't use dorms as I hated them and roommates I can't control and I would prefer to play in a residential lot. Once my main sims get a degree I have little use for it afterwards. This is pack I won't buy.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,185 Member

Yah,but the thing is it looks way different in the trailer.
  • 2fab4uboo2fab4uboo Posts: 47 Member
    Nothing ruins a well-built lot/room than terrible routing! :/

I am NOT looking forward to all the routing issue that we'll have to put up with when we decorate the dorms, and all the routing issue in general. I know that dorm rooms tends to be small in real life, but everything that EA makes is so friggin HUGE. It's like they can't grasp the concept of things taking up only one or two tiles.
  • ls2177ls2177 Posts: 10 New Member
    No hope for TS5. It's been confirmed that they'll keep making packs for TS4 at least until next year.

First time posting so I'm not allowed to post links yet but you can find this on EA page: ADD YOUR VOICE TO PICK THE NEXT SIMS 4 STUFF PACK

Why do I feel like they're copying Paralives's strategy? I know it's not the first time they ask the community for feedbacks but this one just astounded me. Last time they did a community vote they created... Laundry Day Stuff, when there were also choices like Dangerous Stuff and Arcade Stuff.
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    I initially thought this pack looked really good. But re watching the stream as I am at that moment, I’m changing my mind. I was ready to scream with every time I heard “Thats the story you what to tell”

What if I don’t want to tell a story? Just play a game? Just see what happens and get lost in a world? What if I want to tell a story about a sim who fights with her room mates after they get juiced, come home and cause a stove fire wrecking the kitchen? What if I want to tell a story where I woohoo with my professors? Why do I need a cheat to decorate my dorms? Why can’t I build my own dorms??

So much of this pack is set dressing. I expected it but it’s on a par with island living. So much of its rabbit holes which is ironic considering the sims 4 prides itself on not having rabbit holes.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s cool you can attend university from any world, not a feature I would use as I like living on campus, not necessarily in a dorm but living on campus is fun in sims 2 & 3. If I keep my sims at home in sims 4 and send them to university they are just attending a rabbit hole so where’s the fun in that? I don’t think them promoting the freelance careers as a good answer to having a career and being a student as we all know the free lance careers are broken.

Should we be concerned that when showing this game off they didn’t have seasons (and who knows how many other packs) not installed? I’m betting going by performance issues in the past this year alone (RoM crashing) that this game will suffer some bugs and poor performance. Call it a hunch.

For a university themed pack, very little is about learning that we can actually participate in. But we can put on ugly clothes and TP a statue. Hoaray!

It feels like the robot pack. The guru showing them off was very enthusiastic which is great (especially when the other two gurus didn’t look interested in the slightest, but then they never do) but it does feel like so much focus is on them which is great if you like things that make your sims easy lives even easier.

There are so many unanswered questions. What benefits do sims get from graduating? A boost in careers? How much of a boost? A new skill? A new object? Does graduating with a distinguished career mean anything? Sims 2 had three graduation levels (Probably not the right word but I’m not American) that impacted what level you would start in a career) As it is in sims 4 if your teen finishes school with an A+ they are going to start at level 3 in a career anyhow.
    No showing off how loans work other than the gurus giving sims lots of money to avoid a loan, no showing off what happens if your sim defaults on their loan, no mention if the repo man comes for defaulting on a loan or if he comes for defaulting on bills. No showing off your sims failing and what if any are the consequences? Like in the sims 2 you failed and got put on academic probation and had to repeat the semester. You could get expelled. I think the gurus said you can get expelled but again nothing of any consequence. Most likely because the consequence is there isn’t any. Just a moodlet. Whoop de woo.

They said they couldn’t have graduations or proms as they wanted to focus on university but all the university stuff is recycled or rabbit holes.
    Half way through the stream you can see them start to run out of content to show, it’s embarrassing. They then plugged the game changers so we can go watch them and their content - but why? It’s their stream. Why can’t they answer things instead of the game changers being their lip service? No doubt that means more “cant do this” coming as is always the way. Remember 150 swatches? The Gurus bigging that up? Then it was revealed via a game changer it was for doors only.

It’s ridiculous but not surprising children can’t ride bikes. They can play pong though. Hoaray!!!

But lots of people are happy with rabbit holes. Only EA could get away so m ah rabbit holes in a closed world game.

1. You can do that on a residential lot with your roommate
    2. You have to wait until you’ve graduated but I’m sure there’s a workaround
    3. You can build dorms, they’re called Uni housing.

Uni housing isn’t the same as a dorm.

A dorm is university housing though. In fact, I'm pretty sure if I go to the website for my alma mater, it lists dormitories under student housing.
  • 2fab4uboo2fab4uboo Posts: 47 Member
    ls2177 wrote: »
    No hope for TS5. It's been confirmed that they'll keep making packs for TS4 at least until next year.

First time posting so I'm not allowed to post links yet but you can find this on EA page: ADD YOUR VOICE TO PICK THE NEXT SIMS 4 STUFF PACK

Why do I feel like they're copying Paralives's strategy? I know it's not the first time they ask the community for feedbacks but this one just astounded me. Last time they did a community vote they created... Laundry Day Stuff, when there were also choices like Dangerous Stuff and Arcade Stuff.

@ls2177 I added the link for you: https://ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/choosing-new-stuff-pack

I won't get into what the packs are about because that's not what this thread is for and someone probably created a thread to talk about this very thing, but the link is worth a look.
  • ls2177ls2177 Posts: 10 New Member
    @ls2177 I added the link for you:

I won't get into what the packs are about because that's not what this thread is for and someone probably created a thread to talk about this very thing, but the link is worth a look.[/quote]

Yup, sorry about that. I couldn't find newer complain threads so I posted it here. I found it safer to post it in a complain thread than in a general one. Thank you for the link.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    netney52 wrote: »
    First off this is a pack I hated in Sims 3 despite me being a realistic player and should have been one I would like so for Sims 4 I kept an open mind as other previous packs I hated in Sims 3 but love in 4 (City Living). After seeing the first trailer I liked the look of it and was intruiged about the pack. Then the gameplay trailer and livestream came out. I hate that you can't have stoves in dorms and I despise the CAS (I know this is a very unpopular opinion), plus the game play just does not interest me. Also after seeing the game changers videos I'm not keen on the BB stuff. This is a one use only pack for me as like Sim 3 I won't use dorms as I hated them and roommates I can't control and I would prefer to play in a residential lot. Once my main sims get a degree I have little use for it afterwards. This is pack I won't buy.

Loads of new windows and doors though and a swimmable lake. I didn't enjoy the university expansions much in the past but this adds a lot of things that I'll use in my other worlds.

I just wish the other levels of the dorm buildings were used for kitchens, studies with study carrels and dining rooms though, with the elevators stopping at all floors. Maybe they will come sometime in the future with apartments?
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    netney52 wrote: »

Loads of new windows and doors though and a swimmable lake. I didn't enjoy the university expansions much in the past but this adds a lot of things that I'll use in my other worlds.

I just wish the other levels of the dorm buildings were used for kitchens, studies with study carrels and dining rooms though, with the elevators stopping at all floors. Maybe they will come sometime in the future with apartments?

Right? What is with having a loading screen just to eat a proper meal from the cafeteria. (If you can call caf food proper food :D ).

Looks like we can at least build upward though and make something sort of like that ourselves.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    How could they not have given us some kind of tasks, jobs, homework (besides paperwork) to do OUTSIDE of class hours since all classes are rabbitholes?
    I mean, we have gotten this for the first time in The sims 4 with active careers or stay at home careers and it is such a good step into the right direction. Like this it really feels like my sims are actually doing their job instead of just a title and dissapering off the lot every morning to come home at 5 with some fresh new money transferred to the household fund.
    I truly can not understand how they could have missed combining active tasks in an uni EP??!! This more than a lost chance.. its kind of.. not smart if I may say.

- They could have given us things like these little science boxes for kids to build rockets and then having to bring them to class or include them in our presentations to get points for our class etc. And then something like this to work on for every class. That robot lab would have been great to actually have and not build ourselves and not have it function fully or proper since sims will probably just come there to play on the computer and there is no proper lot setting for it to work.

- They could have given us tasks for sims to do outside on the school lot/square or basically anywhere in the world. Things like interview other sims, ask questions or certain interactions to fulfill maybe a journalism or charisma class.

-They also could have given our sims outside of school jobs like cooking meals for the culinary class, maybe even trying to sell them just to give us some extra gameplay so it really FEELS like they are working hard to get a degree in uni.

If they were more creative and would invest more thought into developing this game (and perhaps a bigger budget which they really REALLY should ask for to their big boss EA) They should have made a sort of recreation/after school activities center lot where there are different classrooms and they would all serve for sims to work on their skills, fulfill these outside of school tasks that will help them get good grades and points to succeed in their degree.
    Like that robot lab, a kitchen for culinary students to bake and cook goods and hell maybe even serve them to students who come there to eat so they can improve and learn how to cook LIVE, not in a rabbithole.
    And a class where they can hold social meeting or give presentations to work on their charisma skill, a science lab to build all kinds of things to bring back to class and a fitness center/basket ball court for sims to actually work on their fitness skills and team play with other students in the same class. It wouldnt even require so much more NEW features, just a smart way to combine old and a few new ones to create a whole world of new gameplay and real experience.
    THIS would be an EP! Even stuff packs looks more appealing right now. How is this possible? What happened to EP's? This is just crazy. Are they holding the same budget as stuff packs or something? I just cant believe what they are serving us right now.

And at last:

THERE IS NO FEEL TO THIS GAME AT ALL! It is all about clicking and getting the job done as fast as possible without an actual experience. What is this game even? Why are they trying to fool us by selling this as a simulation game when it holds almost nothing for the player to actually FEEL something.

I don't even want to play this game anymore, cause it really became so terrible. Thank your for ruining all the nostalgia and the meaning of 20 years of our lives. They really need to put more thought into what this games actually means to it's fans. It is more than just a game for us.
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    Is the 'new' death type they wouldn't talk about actually electrocution when working at the bot station? Also are the school statues ever clean? I do like some of this pack and I will be getting it but as usual some areas are disappointing and falling short.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    How could they not have given us some kind of tasks, jobs, homework (besides paperwork) to do OUTSIDE of class hours since all classes are rabbitholes?
    I mean, we have gotten this for the first time in The sims 4 with active careers or stay at home careers and it is such a good step into the right direction. Like this it really feels like my sims are actually doing their job instead of just a title and dissapering off the lot every morning to come home at 5 with some fresh new money transferred to the household fund.
    I truly can not understand how they could have missed combining active tasks in an uni EP??!! This more than a lost chance.. its kind of.. not smart if I may say.

- They could have given us things like these little science boxes for kids to build rockets and then having to bring them to class or include them in our presentations to get points for our class etc. And then something like this to work on for every class. That robot lab would have been great to actually have and not build ourselves and not have it function fully or proper since sims will probably just come there to play on the computer and there is no proper lot setting for it to work.

- They could have given us tasks for sims to do outside on the school lot/square or basically anywhere in the world. Things like interview other sims, ask questions or certain interactions to fulfill maybe a journalism or charisma class.

-They also could have given our sims outside of school jobs like cooking meals for the culinary class, maybe even trying to sell them just to give us some extra gameplay so it really FEELS like they are working hard to get a degree in uni.

If they were more creative and would invest more thought into developing this game (and perhaps a bigger budget which they really REALLY should ask for to their big boss EA) They should have made a sort of recreation/after school activities center lot where there are different classrooms and they would all serve for sims to work on their skills, fulfill these outside of school tasks that will help them get good grades and points to succeed in their degree.
    Like that robot lab, a kitchen for culinary students to bake and cook goods and hell maybe even serve them to students who come there to eat so they can improve and learn how to cook LIVE, not in a rabbithole.
    And a class where they can hold social meeting or give presentations to work on their charisma skill, a science lab to build all kinds of things to bring back to class and a fitness center/basket ball court for sims to actually work on their fitness skills and team play with other students in the same class. It wouldnt even require so much more NEW features, just a smart way to combine old and a few new ones to create a whole world of new gameplay and real experience.
    THIS would be an EP! Even stuff packs looks more appealing right now. How is this possible? What happened to EP's? This is just crazy. Are they holding the same budget as stuff packs or something? I just cant believe what they are serving us right now.

And at last:

THERE IS NO FEEL TO THIS GAME AT ALL! It is all about clicking and getting the job done as fast as possible without an actual experience. What is this game even? Why are they trying to fool us by selling this as a simulation game when it holds almost nothing for the player to actually FEEL something.

I don't even want to play this game anymore, cause it really became so terrible. Thank your for ruining all the nostalgia and the meaning of 20 years of our lives. They really need to put more thought into what this games actually means to it's fans. It is more than just a game for us.

I agree with all of this...I don't even know what the sims is anymore...it's no longer the franchise I know and love.
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member

Yah,but the thing is it looks way different in the trailer.

Because in the trailer, people live there. No one was living in the dorms during the livestream.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • VictorzerVictorzer Posts: 1 New Member
    My question is:

Why don't we have a Theme Song for Discover University? I mean, ALL expansion packs since Cats & Dogs had their exclusive Theme Song, right when you open up the game menu you can hear them.

Idk but i feel like this EP was just rushed.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    That twitterer has explained numerous times it was meant as a joke.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    edited November 2019
    I decided to take a look at the numbers in build/buy and CAS for the EP's and GP's since University seems lacking on build/buy. Just based on the numbers both build/buy and the "best CAS ever" are both below average.
    4b62225dcafffad092612b65cba2826ba57f9a79.png

*Edit - Mistake on my part - Spa Day is Above Average in both areas, image fixed
    Post edited by Rae357 on
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Rae357 wrote: »
    I decided to take a look at the numbers in build/buy and CAS for the EP's and GP's since University seems lacking on build/buy. Just based on the numbers both build/buy and the "best CAS ever" are both below average.
    b4cbc5db67a76bcf6eb51f73c07498d4e931c400.png

Thanks for this! I was actually suspicious that this was the case and I was going to do this same thing myself but you saved me the work, so thanks for that. :) It's really interesting.

You can really see how this last year has been an entire year of lackluster. That's pretty sad since they're still charging the same prices.

I also noticed that you can swim in the rivers/canals at Britechester. So there goes another point IL had going for it... (Although to be honest I'd rather swim in IL world than Britechester. There's not too many cities/villages I can think of, especially in a cooler climate, where people just want to hop on in).
    Origin ID: Peapod79