Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you rename CC to remove special characters?

Does it help to remove special characters from CC names? ({[ @ # - _ +<>. / : ; ]}) etc.

If so, what characters do you remove? What about spaces?

The info I found on Google seems to refer to this helping in previous versions of the Sims. I'm wondering if it helps with Sims 4 CC.

Comments

• FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    Removing special characters can be helpful, since it’s one less thing for your game to read/load (hopefully that makes sense). Special characters are a character that’s not alphabetic or numeric. I’m not sure if spaces count as one

I’ve only renamed my files once using this tool. My PC has always been able to run the game smoothly, even with all my gigabytes of CC, but i did notice that it would load a bit faster than usual after removing all the special characters.
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    Nah. I just merge packages, especially for hairs, or any items I include a recolour of. Seeing I recolour for the Witching Hour palette, all my hairs are now merged together with the mesh and the recolour files, then renamed to keep it simple, and put in a folder with the age range on it.
  • wamayeliwamayeli Posts: 147 Member
    Thank you @Faberries I've seen that tool mentioned before but have not used it. I'm trying to change file names now for all new CC I add, but I haven't gone back to change my old CC. Wasn't sure if it was worth the time and effort.
    munroele wrote: »
    Nah. I just merge packages, especially for hairs, or any items I include a recolour of. Seeing I recolour for the Witching Hour palette, all my hairs are now merged together with the mesh and the recolour files, then renamed to keep it simple, and put in a folder with the age range on it.

@munroele Can I ask how you merge packages, please?
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    it helped a lot back when I did it, but merging is better yeah. and yes removing spaces also helps.

you can merge with S4S
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    Yes. Well sometimes, unless I'm feeling lazy.

I like to remove special characters and spaces to make it look neater. Also some cc creators don't always name their items in the same way, so I fix that to make it more uniform.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Yeah, I do. I like simplicity.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• wamayeliwamayeli Posts: 147 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    it helped a lot back when I did it, but merging is better yeah. and yes removing spaces also helps.

you can merge with S4S

Thank you @Cupid
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,489 Member

Your Avatar is my favorite Disney Princess. Saw it originally in the theater. Yes, I'm that old. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member

One problem with this, merged packages don't work with using the batch fixes in Sims4Studio, like the mermaid tub fix or recent Shower fix. So, keep the original files. You'll need to delete your merged package, restore the original files, run the fix, and re-merge them.
  • CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member
    I never rename anything. It makes it a LOT harder to update mods. If I download a CC or mod, I'll need to remember what I renamed it to to see if it already exists or duplicates will be a problem.

Besides, the game doesn't care what the files are named.

Just make a backup, merge the CC, and delete the originals. Nice and neat.