Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Legacy Update Was Heartless

The update erased years of work… I didn’t even know it would happen until after it did. I can’t afford a new laptop but I’ve spent countless hours contributing to the gallery and now I can’t even look at it. All my work is gone… I’m really disappointed in who ever made the call- because from the look of things anyone who couldn’t afford the transfer is dead to the company. All our time, trust, and emotional investment amounts to nothing after one update.

While this post wasn't flattering I hope you'll let it stand. I feel betrayed by my favorite brand, I'm very upset, and I'd like to use this post to mourn the loss of years of creative expression.

Comments

• MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    No, legacy edition has a separate game folder, relocate your mods/save files from sims 4 game folder and add them to The Sims 4 Legacy Edition game folder, I was able to resume my progress after I did that.
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    No, legacy edition has a separate game folder, relocate your mods/save files from sims 4 game folder and add them to The Sims 4 Legacy Edition game folder, I was able to resume my progress after I did that.

They’re saying they’ve lost access to the online gallery and everything they posted to it. But, if you still have your tray files shouldn’t your things still be in your library because that’s not an online feature.
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited November 2019
    Oh carp I didn't see the gallery part in the message, RIP, sorry. D:
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,751 Member
    and there are people like me who prefer to play in 32 mode since I don't like scrambling to stop a video on youtube and save my game when a parent is calling me down to pour drinks for supper. Its kind of hard to do that when I get a full screen
    6adMCGP.gif
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    If you only have your stuff in the gallery and didn't back it up, you could ask a friend that still has access to the gallery to download everything and send you the files.

As for all other issues, I've set up a thread here with a FAQ: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/PLEASE-POST-HERE-Questions-regarding-drop-of-32-bit-OS-Support/td-p/7681382/

Feel free to ask any questions/posts problems you have with it.

You can also download and install the legacy edition and play with that if you're on 64 bit. Just tried it and it works. You can set it to legacy in Origin. It does have all the downsides (no updates, no gallery, no DU) but you can play 32 bit that way still.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• SimQARoboSimQARobo Posts: 248 SimQA
    @MadameLee

Are you having issues running the game in windowed mode?
    If I don't actively respond here, I'm sorry. I can get a bit busy over at https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/ct-p/the-sims-4-en
    @SimQARobo I know my computer can handle 64bit but I prefer playing in window mode due to doing other stuff on the computer and now with this patch I can no longer play it on window mode (unless I want to get a headache with the game flashing ever 5 seconds in anything) but 64bit full screen mode
    6adMCGP.gif
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    How do you check to see if you are in 32 or 64 bit? I bought a gaming lap top last year and had them transfer my files over. I assume they transferred it into 64 bit, but I am not sure, can anyone give me a detailed description of how to check. I’m not up on computers these days. Every time I buy a new one they have changed things And anymore I just use my gaming laptop for.... that’s it....games. I use my phone for most other stuff including the forums.
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    How do you check to see if you are in 32 or 64 bit? I bought a gaming lap top last year and had them transfer my files over. I assume they transferred it into 64 bit, but I am not sure, can anyone give me a detailed description of how to check. I’m not up on computers these days. Every time I buy a new one they have changed things And anymore I just use my gaming laptop for.... that’s it....games. I use my phone for most other stuff including the forums.

go into Origin-Libarary click on the Sims 4 (settings)-game proprieties->advanced options it might tell you which version you launch in .
    6adMCGP.gif
    @MadameLee

What operating system and video card are you using?
    If I don't actively respond here, I'm sorry. I can get a bit busy over at https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/ct-p/the-sims-4-en
    @SimQARobo

Video Card: GeForce GTX 650 (and I think I last updated the graphics drivers earlier this year I would say May)
    6adMCGP.gif
    @MadameLee

Thank you. Do you use mods/custom content? If so, does the issue still occur when mods and custom content are fully removed?
    @MadameLee Thank you I will do that tonight. If it says 32 bit instead of 64 where do I go to change it? And will I still be able to go into my saves when I change it to 64 bit if it is currently in 32? I don’t use custom content or mods so I don’t have to worry about those. I know my laptop will be able to handle 64 bit as I bought a pretty good one.
    @MadameLee Thank you I will do that tonight. If it says 32 bit instead of 64 where do I go to change it? And will I still be able to go into my saves when I change it to 64 bit if it is currently in 32? I don’t use custom content or mods so I don’t have to worry about those. I know my laptop will be able to handle 64 bit as I bought a pretty good one.

same place I mentioned earlier? There's an arrow next to it and click on it and it will give you the 64 option.
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited November 2019
    SimQARobo wrote: »
    @MadameLee

Thank you. Do you use mods/custom content? If so, does the issue still occur when mods and custom content are fully removed?

I do but I been updating the mods as @luthienrising post the updates. But I should point out when I first played this game back in Sept of 2014 (without any mods). People had advised me to play in 32bit mode w/ laptop processing since when I was trying to improve a house all I had was crashing game. But with the exception of some CC traits which never been updated. I don't think CC traits or dresses would affect the game.

But it seems to not flash without the mods folder. It worked for like 4 seconds after I put them back in...before I get the flashing game and the repeating of the Sims 4 icon on the task bar.
    6adMCGP.gif
    @MadameLee Thank you so much! I did find that under settings for my Sims game ( in Origin) it already launches in 64 bit!
    @SheriSim57 you're welecome!!
    6adMCGP.gif
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @MadameLee All CC traits are broken unless updated today.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    @luthienrising some traits were already were outdated prior to yesterday's patch. Since I'm not a modder I have no way to fix them
    6adMCGP.gif
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Just out of interest, does the legacy edition automatically download when you update the game, or is it an entirely separate installation you have to manually download?
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    edited November 2019
    @Mecholi . If you pm me your gallery name then I can delete my library and download your whole gallery for you. And load it on media to share or if you have facebook, I can sent you the files that way. ;)

@crinrict which folders will I have to share? Thanks in advance for your advice :)
  • KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    I can't even start the game... some kind of "Initialisation error" pops up. I checked a few threads on EA Answers HQ and realised a lot of mac os High Sierra players have the same issue. Could be weeks before the devs fix it... I just don't understand why force an update if it doesn't even work properly for so many people. I want my game back! :(
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    We have been warned from the start of the year that this was coming by EA/Maxis. It was originally coming after 29th February.

I once had to resort to a credit card to buy a laptop that could run Sims3/4 and was lucky enough to find my bank was offering 0% for 17 months to transfer CCs or Shop cards. I did and paid off my laptop on 0% monthly for those months and hid my bank's card so that I couldn't use it for anything else since. You have to do a bit of researching to find a good deal for a new one and it is a good time of the year to do it.

Otherwise some Sims Website like MTS might start some threads to help 32bit'ers. They made good machines in those days but they do suddenly give up the ghost with the CMOS batteries failing. One did on me last week.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member

Anything you bought last year will be 64-bit, unless it's a refurbish with an older version of Windows. 64-bit has been the standard since at least 2014. This shouldn't affect anyone with a newer computer.
    I just want things to match. :'(