Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Uni Fees Not Expensive

EA, is it too late to reconsider the expense of uni? I wonder if they could make it more expensive in the patch if we’re all bothered enough by this.

It would’ve been nice to have it feel realistic. I wonder if there’ll be a workaround without using a mod.

Comments

• blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,364 Member
    I feel the same. Given how easy it is to make money already, it kind makes the student loans useless unless you've created a new sim
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    Does the Value of the dorm impact tuition costs?
    Mine will be living in a huge dorm. I am hoping tuition reflects how much the place costs.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I don't know how much the fees are, but I'll be annoyed if they're too low. Need more expensive things to spend simoleons on, not more cheap stuff. As said above, what's the point of student loans then?
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    Mine will be living in a huge dorm. I am hoping tuition reflects how much the place costs.

I was wondering the same. It seems that it matters, some dorms are more expensive than others.
    I think somebody will make a mod for it, but if not, I'm going to hide a dozen of 15000 $ violins in my dorms. :D
  • ls2177ls2177 Posts: 10 New Member
    I know right... even my poorest Sims with starter-level jobs and run down houses can afford going to uni without the loans.
  • TinyrazorPlayerTinyrazorPlayer Posts: 49 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »
    CK213 wrote: »

I was wondering the same. It seems that it matters, some dorms are more expensive than others.
    I think somebody will make a mod for it, but if not, I'm going to hide a dozen of 15000 $ violins in my dorms. :D

🤣🤣🤣😩😩😩! That is the best idea! Put expensive items in the dorms just to make it more expensive.
  • DerellaDerella Posts: 765 Member
    As a North American, the cost definitely feels low. I am sure there will be mods that adjust this shortly after it goes up though.
  • IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    I’m Dutch and though we do have university and college fees, they are pretty low. So for me, this isn’t too unrealistic, though our fees are a bit higher than this. However, I’m also totally fine with a huge increase, as it means more challenge :smiley:
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • TinyrazorPlayerTinyrazorPlayer Posts: 49 Member
    munroele wrote: »
    The USA is the only country in the world with stupid high uni fees. Having them be affordable is the more universal experience, so I'd argue it's better. Mod the fees to be stupid high, rather than mod them down, if you really want.

That’s not necessarily true. I’m from the UK and uni fees are currently £9K per year. Not to talk about additional loans for living, etc...

• InvisibleaesInvisibleaes Posts: 1,526 Member
    munroele wrote: »
    The USA is the only country in the world with stupid high uni fees. Having them be affordable is the more universal experience, so I'd argue it's better. Mod the fees to be stupid high, rather than mod them down, if you really want.

That’s not necessarily true. I’m from the UK and uni fees are currently £9K per year. Not to talk about additional loans for living, etc...

When I looked at schools 10 years ago for a four year university living at home, was around $25000 USD for a full time class load 12 credits. That’s about by current conversion About 19500 pounds says google. I love that my sims can have big family's and still reasonably contribute if not outright pay for college.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Wasn't the cost shown for that one term only ? I didn't pay attention but it looked like it.

In any case being from a normal country with normal ideas about education and healthcare, I'm fine with it.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Hopefully MCCC will update with an option to choose the tuition cost. We could ask Deaderpool.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    Wasn't the cost shown for that one term only ? I didn't pay attention but it looked like it.

In any case being from a normal country with normal ideas about education and healthcare, I'm fine with it.

Yes, they were for one term. But still, around 1000$ in sims world is not too much.
    I mean, I'm for free or cheap education IRL (and my college was free), but student loans don't make a lot of sense in that case? Bills for one week are usually higher.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm... I would like to get a bit bigger loans for my sims so hoping for mods.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I‘m from Germany and there are no tuitions here so to me $250 per course seems very expensive. I want them to be more expensive though simply because it’s so easy to make money in TS4. I’m sure there will be a mod for it though.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    There are places where uni studies are free, so realism is debatable.

It would be fun if we could set the fees ourselves though.

Did you mean: almost everywhere besides America? LOL.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited November 2019
    In Czechia uni is either for free or extremely cheap though I find this tuition ridiculously low. I was really looking forward to spend a lot of my sims' money but nope. They'll all still stay Rockfellers.

I like that the books are quite expensive.
    Post edited by DoloresGrey on
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • bsasinbsasin Posts: 33 Member
    I don't get why the fees per course are $240 and the books are $700 each. It seems like it should have been the other way around. Hopefully the course books are required and not free unless you lose them, but I don't think you can take out loans for expenses outside of tuition and housing, so it'll be weird that you take out loans/get scholarships to cover ~1250 per semester for housing and four courses but then have to find an additional ~2800 for books. You should also be able to take an additional amount of loans out to cover incidentals imo.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,403 Member
    I think the cost for university is pretty realistic. Universities cost some money but not extremely much.

When it comes realism, I would have liked to have stoves in a dorm. Students who are old enough to live in a dorm hundreds of miles from home and old enough to take on a loan are also old enough to cook. This feels like a rediculous restriction from my point of view.
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I think the cost for university is pretty realistic. Universities cost some money but not extremely much.

When it comes realism, I would have liked to have stoves in a dorm. Students who are old enough to live in a dorm hundreds of miles from home and old enough to take on a loan are also old enough to cook. This feels like a rediculous restriction from my point of view.

I agree. It made people outside of America think that not having stoves in dorms is a normal thing, but it actually is very common in America, which is why I’m confused about why they decided to leave it out.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    As it's ridiculously easy to make money in the Sims they could at least be a tad higher, no matter what RL country you compare them to.I don't the sims necessarily to struggle, but it should make an impact paying for what they get.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Ans what the pros of taking student loans if the tuitions cost is cheap?
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    Ans what the pros of taking student loans if the tuitions cost is cheap?

Possibly for adding a little difficulty because it adds interest.