Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 was supposed to have 5 trait slots before the release.

I was searching some stuff on the internet and I came across this pre-release screenshot of the beta version of the CAS. You can clearly see that we have 5 slots for traits. So, its not impossible for them to update the ui to let us add 5 traits to our sims.
latest?cb=20150715205210&path-prefix=pt-br

Comments

• SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited November 2019
    It's a shame they cut it down to three. I feel more might of made sims more interesting.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Having more than 3 traits doesn't warrant our sims to acts differently due to low amount of traits and lack meaningful traits.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Traits don‘t do anything anyway. They could get rid of it for all I care.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member

Most of them do seem rather pointless.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited November 2019
    Meh, get rid of traits and bring back the point personality system of TS2 with expanded functionality.

Traits worked well in TS3 because the developers were very committed to them not only through the base game, but nearly every pack release. It's blatant; pretty much every trait in TS3 adds so much in comparison to their counterpart within TS4.

The fact you only get 3, and somehow a Sim being vegetarian is supposed to define 1/3 of their whole personality at large is a massive failure of an AI system.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited November 2019
    Sharonia wrote: »
    It's a shame they cut it down to three. I feel more might of made sims more interesting.

@Sharonia @dearie_blossom @izecson I'm pretty sure the Sims 4 traits are weaker than Sims 3 ones because they decided to cut corners, and for the same reason they have been cutting corners with the traits from the beginning. And, for us not to notice that, they cut down the number of traits slots to 3. I really wish they wouldn't jsut add mroe slots, but rather overhaul the entire traits/emotions system. I don't hate the emotions, but they do overpower the traits.

@bellagoth_ I'm aware of the Olympus project. Online simulation never got popular, I'm not sure why they kept trying. It just destroyed SimCity. Probably they wanted the online feature to help make difficult for people to pirate the game.

@Sk8rblaze I think like that too, I'd rather have a good system (points or traits) than having them hurting my game.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-feedback
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-ideas-corner

Why not make a post about how wonderful you think 5 traits would be in one of the above sections? You know, instead of beating around the bush in general chat?

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-feedback
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-ideas-corner

Why not make a post about how wonderful you think 5 traits would be in one of the above sections? You know, instead of beating around the bush in general chat?

Because OP's original post was stating the fact that there were originally 5 traits. Nowhere did they say they wanted 5 traits again.
  • SupersonicAvalancheSupersonicAvalanche Posts: 3,307 Member

There are plenty of reward-traits to choose from in TS4. The problem is that all sims end up more or less the same anyway - since all TS4-traits are overruled by emotions.

Personally I hope to see CAS-customized TS5-traits in a not too distant future - Traits that, if well implemented, would dictate how a certain sim responds emotionally and behaviorally to different in-game situations in more adequate ways than ever before.

Z5yqGx5.png
  • 2fab4uboo2fab4uboo Posts: 47 Member
    There are plenty of reward-traits to choose from in TS4. The problem is that all sims end up more or less the same anyway - since all TS4-traits are overruled by emotions.

Personally I hope to see CAS-customized TS5-traits in a not too distant future - Traits that, if well implemented, would dictate how a certain sim responds emotionally and behaviorally to different in-game situations in more adequate ways than ever before.

I'm getting scared that we'll never get TS5 game. TS4 will still be going strong in 2020 and we haven't heard anything from EA abouTS5 yet. EA could really turn things around with TS5 and restore a lot of faith in a lot of the players. The first thing to do would be to not make TS5 an online game. The sims still have so much potential there is still so much that they can do that they haven't done yet. If they were to really invest time and money into TS5 it could be huge again.
  • Alwe1507Alwe1507 Posts: 328 Member
    Hi. New to TS4 👋🏼

Why does everyone seem to dislike the Emotion and Trait system?

I notice people think that the Emotions overrule the Traits, but so far (Base Game only atm) I find my flirty Sim is only Uncomfortable, Happy or Sad for a short time before being overcome with Flirty again 😂

...and her husband seems permanently Energised or Confident which relate to his Traits, I think. He rarely feels any other emotion 🤷🏼‍♂️

I much prefer it to TS2 style of fulfilling Whims (?? Were they called that??) and keeping that life bar green or gold.
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    Alwe1507 wrote: »

Every Sim responds to the same emotions in the same way in The Sims 4. In The Sims 3, traits determined reactions when the mood bar dropped (Hot Headed Sims would get angry instead of uncomfortable or sad, Grumpy Sims would get sad instead of angry or uncomfortable etc.) Traits in 3 determined so much and added so much, and in 4 traits are inferior practically every time in comparison.

The aspiration bar system from The Sims 2 was highly intelligent and took a lot of things into account. For starters it meant there were consequences to choosing your Sim's personality because you then had to act accordingly. After that it considered everything from their aspiration to their friends, family, skills, jobs, location, the current season, recent events, interests and more in order to give wants relevant to that Sim's current situation.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif

Every Sim responds to the same emotions in the same way in The Sims 4. In The Sims 3, traits determined reactions when the mood bar dropped (Hot Headed Sims would get angry instead of uncomfortable or sad, Grumpy Sims would get sad instead of angry or uncomfortable etc.) Traits in 3 determined so much and added so much, and in 4 traits are inferior practically every time in comparison.

I've actually found that rather than responding to the same emotion in the same way, my two Sims override their negative emotions with positive ones relating to their Traits?

The aspiration bar system from The Sims 2 was highly intelligent and took a lot of things into account. For starters it meant there were consequences to choosing your Sim's personality because you then had to act accordingly. After that it considered everything from their aspiration to their friends, family, skills, jobs, location, the current season, recent events, interests and more in order to give wants relevant to that Sim's current situation.

Now you've put it like that, I agree...Wants and Fears were clever!
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member

While in S2 and S3 we had wants surrounding new objects introduced in new packs, it was always tied to our sims personality. In SIms 4, no... The whims are all about the new objects/interactions added in a new pack and that was annoying. I want my sim to think about their crush, to decide to change job...
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    i'd love to have 5 traits again revamped with a likes and dislikes system
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Wow! I really wish they kept it at 5! They also need to make stronger traits in general.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,667 Member
    edited November 2019
    I might be alone, but I actually like that we have 3 traits. I think that is enough, especially when playing all households it makes individuals feel more unique. In fact, I see only the first 2 traits as bold traits, and the 3rd more like a neuance. I have a on-the-side routine making sure most kids inherit 1 or 2 traits from parents. Wish the game had taken care of this, it feels mostly random.

PS: I love the extra traits given through growing up or career rewards. They are sim specific and if the 2 extra slots were used for traits related to behavior or actions, I'd welcome them more.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    There are modders who have added personality systems that work quite nicely however it also adds other things that shall not be mentioned
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I could be wrong but I always thought they don't give us more traits because sims emotions change ro quickly. And more traits mean more quick changing emotions.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,126 Member
    I miss the traits that Sims 3 had that Sims 4 doesn't have.