Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University and rotational players...

Well...I really love that University is coming to town, so to speak but I was wondering how it would/will affect rotational players? For instance, do I have to play out the household until enrolled Sim(s) have graduated or can I household hop and then when I go back into said household(s) my Sim(s) can just pick up where they left off?

Comments

• Options
    FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    You can pick whatever household you wanna play at any time.
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I play rotational and I was also wondering how it's going to work. If I send my sim to live in dorms it's going to age and get out of sync with the rest of their family back home age wise?
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited November 2019
    Well, I am going to say one thing. While on university, everyone! will age like they normally do. Keep that in mind.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I think I'll turn aging off most of the time during university. I might age them for a few days during their attendance but they'll still stay pretty young unless I want to put some years onto them for a law career, for example.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member
    There is a lot of ambiguity around this right now. What we do know is that aging will progress according to whichever setting you've chosen for your save file. If you have it off, it stays off for students. If you have it on, it stays on. We also know that time will continue to advance, just like it does in the rest of the game. So, if you start playing one university household on Monday and switch to another on Wednesday, it will be Wednesday in the second house too.

What we don't know yet is how this affects the progression of university terms or classes. In the Monday/Wednesday example, will the second household be penalized for "missing" their Monday and Tuesday classes while you played the first one? Or does their term then start up on Wednesday and carry over into the next week?

There are reasons to think it could go either way. Careers, for example, freeze their progress once you leave the lot. I can go play as many other households as I want to and my Sim won't get fired for missing work. The same applies to school for kids and teens.

However, this is not the case for the acting career. Yes, your progress locks-but if you schedule a gig and then rotate away, you do miss the gig.

Honestly, we probably won't know for sure until the pack is out. Right now, I have a plan for each scenario just in case.
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    edited November 2019
    Well, I am going to say one thing. While on university, everyone! will age like they normally do. Keep that in mind.

I suppose by "normally" you mean whatever the aging settings are? So you can have everyone aging, everyone not aging or just the played household aging.

Edited to add: I honestly think university will be least complex for rotational players because they're already used to juggling aging settings and the time moving forward while playing other households. Those who play just one household will have to either go temporarily rotational or find some other solution.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    What I'm wondering is, if I have students in three different dorms, and I play a week in one dorm, do the other dorm students get credit for their classes? And what would happen if I start a new semester week in one dorm...do my other played students become unenrolled, or do they continue with the next classes, or do they repeat their classes?

In Sims 2 I had students in different dorms and Greek Houses, but because time stopped on inactive lots, I was able to go back and continue their progress and keep them alligned without missing out on any of their decisions or lives. But Sims 4 doesn't have time freeze so I'd really like to know how it would work.

Basically, I'd like to have a dorm for each school with my Sims in them simultaneously so that I can switch back and forth and have them prank each other's schools.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    We do have some guidance on this.
    From the Guru Q&A:

There is some amount of progression that occurs for Sims already enrolled in university that are rotated away from. Unplayed Sims will finish their term and re-enroll, eventually graduating. Played Sims will finish their term but wait to re-enroll until the player rotates back to them. All Sims progressing in this way will earn an “average” grade while doing so.

Any students who you have enrolled will progress to finish their term with an average grade if you rotate away from them. They’re not penalized for missing class when you are not playing them. If you want multiple dorm households, you can rotate between them during the same term. You might want to do this strategically since putting a lot of effort in, while knowing this could be the household you won’t have active at the end of term could be pointless. Maybe if you stagger when they begin the terms (dorm 1 started Tues, dorm 2 started Friday) it gives you more control. Something to play around with.

Keep in mind that students can only live in dorms/uni housing while they are enrolled in a term at university. Once they complete the term, an event timer starts (don’t know how long it is) and they have to pack up and move out. Maybe if you have them re-enroll right away, this can be avoided. Still need to work out the details. Worst case scenario, they will appear in your Played Households bin that’s for households “not in world”. They should still be available to invite over and you might see them around, but I would be surprised if they maintain their memberships in uni organizations.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    From the Guru Q&A:

There is some amount of progression that occurs for Sims already enrolled in university that are rotated away from. Unplayed Sims will finish their term and re-enroll, eventually graduating. Played Sims will finish their term but wait to re-enroll until the player rotates back to them. All Sims progressing in this way will earn an “average” grade while doing so.

Any students who you have enrolled will progress to finish their term with an average grade if you rotate away from them. They’re not penalized for missing class when you are not playing them. If you want multiple dorm households, you can rotate between them during the same term. You might want to do this strategically since putting a lot of effort in, while knowing this could be the household you won’t have active at the end of term could be pointless. Maybe if you stagger when they begin the terms (dorm 1 started Tues, dorm 2 started Friday) it gives you more control. Something to play around with.

Keep in mind that students can only live in dorms/uni housing while they are enrolled in a term at university. Once they complete the term, an event timer starts (don’t know how long it is) and they have to pack up and move out. Maybe if you have them re-enroll right away, this can be avoided. Still need to work out the details. Worst case scenario, they will appear in your Played Households bin that’s for households “not in world”. They should still be available to invite over and you might see them around, but I would be surprised if they maintain their memberships in uni organizations.

This sounds like I will have to have all current university students in the same house and play them until graduation if I want to experience everything. Not what I was hoping for, but it is what it is.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited November 2019
    telemwill wrote: »
    From the Guru Q&A:

This sounds like I will have to have all current university students in the same house and play them until graduation if I want to experience everything. Not what I was hoping for, but it is what it is.
    Either that, or leave some in limbo “not in world” while you focus on the others. Or have them live in regular housing so they’re not kicked out between terms and just play each through a complete term each rotation.
  • Options

Either that, or leave some in limbo “not in world” while you focus on the others. Or have them live in regular housing so they’re not kicked out between terms and just play each through a complete term each rotation.

Regular housing does sound like a good idea! I wonder if they will lose their scholarships though. I hope they can reapply.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited November 2019
    musteni wrote: »

I suppose by "normally" you mean whatever the aging settings are? So you can have everyone aging, everyone not aging or just the played household aging.

Edited to add: I honestly think university will be least complex for rotational players because they're already used to juggling aging settings and the time moving forward while playing other households. Those who play just one household will have to either go temporarily rotational or find some other solution.

I mean it doesn't work like TS3 University where sims' age would automatically freeze if they attended university. This time sims will still be getting older if you do not turn ageing off yourself.

And yes, for us rotational players this is not a big deal though for others it might be. Because the quickest time you can graduate is three sims week. Imagine if you play on normal lenght lifespan. It'd mean it takes almost all the time of your sims' young adulthood.

Sorry for my english. Usually it is not that bad :D
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    From the Guru Q&A:

I’m really disappointed by this, but at least I have some time to rework my plans. I always do a test save when installing a new pack, I guess I’ll have a lot to test out. I wonder if switching between households daily would work out, to keep grades up and such?
  • Options

Kita5399 wrote: »
    I’m really disappointed by this, but at least I have some time to rework my plans. I always do a test save when installing a new pack, I guess I’ll have a lot to test out. I wonder if switching between households daily would work out, to keep grades up and such?

I don't know. I probably will not be getting it when it first comes out. It may even be after Christmas. So I am really hoping to hear from other rotational players how well it works for them.
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I'll be doing a lot of testing with rotational play when I get the game on Friday. I'll post regular updates <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    It sounds like I should avoid rotating during terms if I want sims to have a high performance. I'll probably stick to that and play a term at a time for uni students.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    Kita5399 wrote: »

I don't know. I probably will not be getting it when it first comes out. It may even be after Christmas. So I am really hoping to hear from other rotational players how well it works for them.
    I’ll do a lot of testing over the weekend, I’ll be sure to post anything I find that works well for rotations.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I did have one vague idea this morning (at 4am, mind you, so bear with me!).
    In my BACC, my first Uni student will be Elena Worthington. She was born in the intro round, so she's the eldest of all the children. My rotations are a full week (usually Sunday to Sunday but I can be flexible about this if needed). So if I send her to University, I can play a week (ie. one term) with her in a dorm. I could then (I believe) move her into a residential building (designed to *look* like a dorm but not actually be one) so she doesn't get chucked out into the Manage Households tab.
    I could then rotate round everybody else, then come back to her? Assuming she doesn't lose scholarships if I'm rotated away from her for a long time (only my active household ages, so she wouldn't be ageing at this point but she'd still be marked as played).

So, could this be a possibility, or was my brain needing coffee this morning?

I'll be testing this theory regardless in a test save and see what happens. My Brothers Green look forward to it! a038.gif
  • Options
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    I did have one vague idea this morning (at 4am, mind you, so bear with me!).
    In my BACC, my first Uni student will be Elena Worthington. She was born in the intro round, so she's the eldest of all the children. My rotations are a full week (usually Sunday to Sunday but I can be flexible about this if needed). So if I send her to University, I can play a week (ie. one term) with her in a dorm. I could then (I believe) move her into a residential building (designed to *look* like a dorm but not actually be one) so she doesn't get chucked out into the Manage Households tab.
    I could then rotate round everybody else, then come back to her? Assuming she doesn't lose scholarships if I'm rotated away from her for a long time (only my active household ages, so she wouldn't be ageing at this point but she'd still be marked as played).

So, could this be a possibility, or was my brain needing coffee this morning?

I'll be testing this theory regardless in a test save and see what happens. My Brothers Green look forward to it! a038.gif

Sounds possible to me. I look forward to hearing how it works out. Especially with scholarships. Sounds fun!
  • Options
    Or it could be a huge headache. Only one way to find out! 7.gif
    I'll make sure to post updates (with pictures). This should be fun!
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I would think there will be no effect on ageing.

If the student sim lived at home with parents, wouldn't they just disappear to classes?

If the student has moved into student accomodation, they are classed as a separate household, right?
  • Options
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I would think there will be no effect on ageing.

If the student sim lived at home with parents, wouldn't they just disappear to classes?

If the student has moved into student accomodation, they are classed as a separate household, right?
    Aging settings will work the same way they do now. The issue for rotation players is that each term is 5 days, and the term keeps moving forward while you are not actively playing that student. Apparently a guru said that this will cause your Sim to just get an average grade, because you didn’t help them during that term. It becomes a matter of figuring out how to juggle multiple students, and when to have each one enroll. There are issues involving student housing (how long you can stay after a term ends), and possibly problems with scholarships.
  • Options
    I think my biggest query here is: Do they lose scholarships if they're played but not currently active. So for example, if Elena gets a scholarship and I enrol her on the weekend (so probably Sundays, the day I switch households), I can play out the full term with her. I always switch on Sunday, 6am. So on the Saturday, I could move her out of the dorm, into a residence and keep her there while I switch to the other households.
    The big question will be: what happens to her scholarship during the time I'm not actively playing her? Will she lose it, or would that only happen if she stayed active the whole time but didn't re-enrol? a014.gif
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    @MissyHissy I think the moving out might put her scholarship in more danger than if you rotated away before term officially ends and just didn't enroll her into classes for the upcoming week but she'd stay in the dorms. Played Sims won't automatically enroll in classes, they'll wait until you go back to them. Of course, if you want to use that same dorm, the moving out is necessary :/

The questions are: how long can they stay unenrolled in classes before they lost their scholarships and possibly student status (both for inactive Sims and active Sims)? What's the best day to switch in a rotation to prevent the enrollment screen for next term classes?
  • Options
    @darrenfroggy Hmm, I did wonder about that. What I'm wondering though is if that will work a bit like careers; when I rotate away, they stay as they are. I know that terms would continue without me but if she'd finished her term, I wonder if her 'progress' as it were, would remain as it was. a014.gif I mean, she'll still be a student and moving her out of the dorm would still count as being a student because she'd effectively move to an off-campus residence.

Hmm. Lots to test tomorrow!