Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My sim gets promoted in the same time as finishing their degree.

2...Next

Comments

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    I have a relatively new save with a bunch of sims that started off as adults with no pre-existing skills. I have played some of these for 16 days each and just popped in to see where they are in their careers.

6 out of 8 I am comparing have reached level 5 in their careers in Culinary, Astronaut, Business, Athletic, Musician, and Arts Critic. I haven’t exactly been grinding these to the bone since lately I’ve been more inclined to make them do social things in groups or when invited out.

If they can get that far in a full term less time than it would take to go through university, I don’t see much point in going unless it’s for a Distinguished Degree where they would theoretically start at a higher level.

Although, if you enjoy having your sims career hop, I can see the benefit. I tend to pick a career that helps define their personality so it’s rare that I change that.

Earning more money or vacation days doesn’t appeal to me because I have an excess of these things anyway. Hopefully there’s more of a benefit to it than all this.

Good thoughts, and that's exactly what I figured concerning post-Uni rewards; is it really all worth it when you can easily rise up the ranks already as is without the rewards in the basegame and other packs that would already let you start early high up on the career ladder? But after Uni, the purpose of the pack has been achieved and it's back to normal Sim play. Sure simulating life in Uni was always going to be temporary, but there should've been more substantial rewards then what you'll just get career-wise. Yes I'm sure they're quite helpful, but not anything deeply life-changing like say, extra trait slots.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    It's a real shame that the medical career isn't tied to university because of them all, it's the one that most requires it.

You could always role play in your game that any doctor HAS to get a degree before you allow them. Come to think of it I will do the same for that career and others that I need to decide on.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    I doubt if any of the game-changers has had enough time to work through everything in the pack. There was a lot more to GTW that they didn't explore before they gave up on that and it was much later that I found a lot of enjoyable things to do in the various careers that they just skimped over.

I've seen Carlos's and James Turners', and Simsupply's objects and building stuff and I'm not going to see any more.
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited November 2019
    The O.P. point is very valid though. While TS2 gave us new 'university locked' careers and an incredible jumpstartstart (as much as reaching lvl 9 of a career, or 8 for uni locked ones), TS3 gave us an incredible raise in salary that you simply couldn't match by going to work for the same timespan you would earn your degree. In TS4, My main sim has career hopper, which gives (incredibly) better job perf and doubles salary for ALL jobs. So unless the benefits of a degree stacks with that, going to Uni is more a personal preference than a wise game decision.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    I would give those with distinguished degrees more rewards when getting to the top of their careers, a post in Government, an island, yacht or large country mansion. the ability to lower taxes and bills in his world, rule a planet if an astronaut, or even to moderate the weather if he does the science degrees. He could make an army of robots and take over the world even or make a killing in gardening or cleaning robots!

I've always had too much imagination. :D
  • Phantasi33Phantasi33 Posts: 181 Member
    Dijktafone wrote: »
    The O.P. point is very valid though. While TS2 gave us new 'university locked' careers and an incredible jumpstartstart (as much as reaching lvl 9 of a career, or 8 for uni locked ones), TS3 gave us an incredible raise in salary that you simply couldn't match by going to work for the same timespan you would earn your degree. In TS4, My main sim has career hopper, which gives (incredibly) better job perf and doubles salary for ALL jobs. So unless the benefits of a degree stacks with that, going to Uni is more a personal preference than a wise game decision.

But the distinguished degrees do give you that. I've been watching a lot of the Game Changers footage and from reading the description about the distinguished degrees, your sims get a boost in their career as well as higher pay each day they work and earlier vacation time.
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    Therefore, for a simer like little old me who has a perk from a previous expansion, the powerplay value of uni is lost, unless bonuses do stack; otherwise, going to uni becomes a sim-lifestyle choice, not a power choice, as the O.P, themselves, states.
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    I mostly see 'going to uni' as a way to meet people, make a circle of friends, meet a potential partner. Aka as a way to set the YA lifestage apart from being an adult. It helps with a more believable flow from teen to adulthood.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    They could have added a setting where the player decides which career require a degree when you buy university. It's not that hard to figure this plum out.
    That's what I was going to say.

I guess my game will just have my own self-imposed restrictions. No more becoming a doctor or a scientist unless they have been to uni first!
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    They could have added a setting where the player decides which career require a degree when you buy university. It's not that hard to figure this plum out.
    That's what I was going to say.

I guess my game will just have my own self-imposed restrictions. No more becoming a doctor or a scientist unless they have been to uni first!

It's a bit too late for many of my Sims already, but I can always just cheat all the degrees on them that are no longer viable imo to attend university! They essentially work like reward traits anyway.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    Just a different route to get there. I choose to work my way up or study and get ahead like that. I like to have that option!
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • qpmommaqpmomma Posts: 135 Member
    I'm glad my sims don't have to go to university for a certain career. I may not want to play DU with every save and spending hours just to unlock a career for story progression seems limiting, imo.

If I decide my MD sim need to go to university I'll send them but I'm glad it's not a requirement.