Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will open world ever return to the Sims

2...Next

Comments

• auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I loved the open world! I hope at least if the open world doesn't return that we at least get open neighborhoods where we can visit our neighbors without a loading screen.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    I hope it returns in Sims 5.

It worked in the sims 3, a game that released 10 years ago, so there's no reason why it couldn't work for sims 5. Yeah, it had its issue but its been 10 years with hundreds of open world games coming out. Develops have their experience with open world now so there's really no excuse for it to not be open world.

At the very least if they are going to go in the direction of Sims 4, the neighborhoods better be bigger and semi-open world.

But I would rather have a huge open world town.

LR3g0ni.jpg
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    It wouldn't work in S5 for the same reasons that It won't work in S4 and those reasons have been discussed many times already elsewhere.

S3 had huge worlds. Imagine linking all of those together like we are linked in S4. The best computer would lag if it was able to even load the game at all.
  • SimsBroSimsBro Posts: 134 Member
    It will most likely return for TS5.
    To think we'll never have it again due to how poorly implemented it was in TS3 is nonsense - you can't compare the tools/tech they had available back when TS3 was being developed to what we have now. That and I'm pretty sure it was also due to lack of optimization on the devs part
  • GguyGguy Posts: 254 Member
    edited November 2019
    SimsBro wrote: »
    It will most likely return for TS5.
    To think we'll never have it again due to how poorly implemented it was in TS3 is nonsense - you can't compare the tools/tech they had available back when TS3 was being developed to what we have now. That and I'm pretty sure it was also due to lack of optimization on the devs part

This a very good point and i do hope so.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    It doesn't matter how good their tech is, it still has to run on old computers.
  • NianaNiana Posts: 211 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    It doesn't matter how good their tech is, it still has to run on old computers.

Why? The sims is a pc game. And I want it to use the technology that’s available now, not 10 years ago! We have sims for mobile, tablet and sims 4! That’s more than enough to keep people with low spec pc entertained.

After years of the limitation that 4 has I really don’t want that for any other sims game!

And tbh if your pc is struggling with 4 now, you really don’t need to worry about 5.rather if your pc will survive until the end of 4.
  • Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    I love the open world in TS3. I’ve never had any problems with it. I would love for it to return, but I don’t expect it to.
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    The areas open to the Sims without loading screens are getting larger with each pack and that is probably why 32bit will no longer be supported on Windows 10 from this pack on. It might be best to wait to see if anyone can play it without difficulty before buying for an older machine. Areas might get even larger if we get a Farming pack later - I hope.

Any Sims 5 will have to wait until computers catch up with the huge requirements for open worlds and lower in price.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I've been thinking about this a lot.

I love the open world in Sims 3. I'm an avid CAW user and I'm in the process of creating my own world from scratch. I do also love the neighbourhoods in Sims 4 - the loading screens have never bothered me.

I don't think it was just the open world concept that kept it from being included in Sims 4 - I think the story progression element may have been a contributing factor. In my mind, the open world and story progression go hand in hand; I can't envision the open world working quite the same without the immersion of the story progression.

I remember around the Sims 3 Pets release that EA's story progression stopped working as intended. Sims no long got married, had children or got jobs, if memory serves. Household got filled with pets and supernaturals (depending on which pack you had, naturally) but there was no longer the traditional progression and this got worse the more packs there were installed. As a result, most people turned to the Nraas Story Progression to fill in that gap.
    I read a post on a forum once by someone who'd taken a look at some of the story progression files for Sims 3 and I remember them mentioning all the things the game did a check for every night and again, the more packs you had installed, the more things to check for and therefore that lessened the chances of sims getting jobs, getting married and having children. Instead, the game moved in random families to fill in the gaps for children, instead of the existing families progressing.

So bearing all of that in mind, I can't help but wonder if that could be a big contributing factor to the lack of an open world in Sims 4. I don't think it was just the open worlds themselves - on newer computers, they run just fine. But the story progression still doesn't.

When it comes to the Sims 5 (if, indeed, there is one), then there's a good chances those kinks may have been ironed out. With a different game engine to the one used for Sims 3, I think there's a pretty decent chance of not only the open world performance and optimisation issues being ironed out but the story progression ones too.

Just my two penny worth 51.gif
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    They didn't say that open world would never return to the franchise. They said it wouldn't return in this game. Who knows what might happen in the next sequel.
  • bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member
    An open world would be awesome!
  • ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this a lot.

I love the open world in Sims 3. I'm an avid CAW user and I'm in the process of creating my own world from scratch. I do also love the neighbourhoods in Sims 4 - the loading screens have never bothered me.

I don't think it was just the open world concept that kept it from being included in Sims 4 - I think the story progression element may have been a contributing factor. In my mind, the open world and story progression go hand in hand; I can't envision the open world working quite the same without the immersion of the story progression.

I remember around the Sims 3 Pets release that EA's story progression stopped working as intended. Sims no long got married, had children or got jobs, if memory serves. Household got filled with pets and supernaturals (depending on which pack you had, naturally) but there was no longer the traditional progression and this got worse the more packs there were installed. As a result, most people turned to the Nraas Story Progression to fill in that gap.
    I read a post on a forum once by someone who'd taken a look at some of the story progression files for Sims 3 and I remember them mentioning all the things the game did a check for every night and again, the more packs you had installed, the more things to check for and therefore that lessened the chances of sims getting jobs, getting married and having children. Instead, the game moved in random families to fill in the gaps for children, instead of the existing families progressing.

So bearing all of that in mind, I can't help but wonder if that could be a big contributing factor to the lack of an open world in Sims 4. I don't think it was just the open worlds themselves - on newer computers, they run just fine. But the story progression still doesn't.

When it comes to the Sims 5 (if, indeed, there is one), then there's a good chances those kinks may have been ironed out. With a different game engine to the one used for Sims 3, I think there's a pretty decent chance of not only the open world performance and optimisation issues being ironed out but the story progression ones too.

Just my two penny worth 51.gif

I think you're spot on tbh. They went back to their TS1/TS2 roots and scrapped story progression altogether for TS4 much like they scrapped open world lol
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I have a question. Is the reason that Sims 4 doesn't have Open World because of the previous Sims 3 freezing up do to the Open Worlds?
  • ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I have a question. Is the reason that Sims 4 doesn't have Open World because of the previous Sims 3 freezing up do to the Open Worlds?

A lot of it too was routing issues. Simmers fixed one of the world that had really bad routing issues, but there were other issues if you plopped or moved lots around
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited November 2019
    Everyone who says that 100% open world can't or shouldn't be implemented in TS5 are still thinking of the computers from 2009-2013. But as I have repeated so many times, with the current computers out now, with higher RAM and VRAM capacities, 64-bit, increased Mhz, and SSD a more common feature, it is quite possible to have that 100% open world and not have any lag or glitchiness.

Also, if TS5 will be 100% open world, it would be EAxis' second effort. Their first effort of incorporating so much into TS3 with a 100% open world was pretty amazing. I think for this time around, they remembered and have learned a lot from the things they did wrong as well from the things they did right. So I'm pretty sure that TS5 would be less buggy and be able to make improvements, for example more townies consistently visiting community lots (I still think it's brilliant that a sim would go to a favored lot based on their traits), less routing problems (one of the main reasons for routing problems is because the person creating the world painted the routes/roads or designed the lots improperly - so it's just a matter of quality assurance checks and not a programming error).

I also hope that TS5 will also come with a free Create-a-World tool just like TS3 did. I found that fan made worlds had little to no routing errors due to having no stringent deadlines demanded by the taskmasters EAxis. It should be a lesson that the EA world creators be given more time to quality check their worlds before releasing the game or pack for sale.

I seriously want 100% open world. There is nothing as exhilarating as taking in the scenery while travel from one place to another in the various forms of transportation. Plus it's just irritating for the flow of the gameplay if you're hit with loading screens - especially if your sims is collecting collectibles out in the world. I absolutely love TS2, but I don't play it much when TS3 came out because of all those loading screens - I want my sims to be able to go out all the time and enjoy everything their whole world has to offer and not be forced to stay in one place for long periods of time to avoid having to come across any loading screens.

In TS3, this is what 100% open world made possible:
    1. Take pictures of far away places. You didn't have to be in the same lot as the subject.
    2. A modder took advantage of the camera feature and used it create the gun mod. This in turn allowed a sim to shoot another sim from another lot! Perfect for those Hitman Codename 47 stealth assassinations!
    3. Travel seamlessly through the whole world without a loading screen. I love this feature so much! It really has a calming effect to watch my sim drive by a beach coastal road or boating in the open sea at sunset. It's pretty amazing.

I know it will take some people (which including me when I first managed a whole family) some time to get used to juggling several people in a household since everything is in realtime, but you get used to it and develop your own way of handling it. After I got used to, I really didn't want it any other way. I found it annoying that I couldn't manage the other members of the household if one of them left the lot in TS2. In light of the realtime effect that 100% open world produces, I really hope the devs will allow simmers to be able to customize the story progression the way the NRAAS mod does so that we can play rotationally if we choose to (and not have to install a mod to do that in TS5). Please devs, look into the NRAAS mod to get an idea of what to implement.

100% open world would also be necessary if the devs ever want to consider air flight as the newest mode of transportation. In TS3, we had the jetpack and air balloon, but disappointingly, they would just teleport a sim immediately to the designation. The jetpack only allows the sim to do some flying stunts in a lot, but no farther beyond it.

Anyway, I really do love 100% open world. It just feels so liberating for my sims to be able to go anywhere without a loading screen. In that view, the WHOLE world is my sim's home lot! I never even have to buy any stuff for the actual home if it's already somewhere in the world, such as gym equipment which you can just use at the town gym. I also feel much more connected to the townspeople too as my sims get to know them and see them live out their own lives with their own hopes and wishes. It is hard to go back to TS2 and the townies that don't even have real lives.

So yeah, I don't even want TS5 to be a partial, segmented world. It HAS to be 100% open world.
    Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on