Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Excited to build "Apartments" with roommate system

I'm stoked to build some makeshift apartment with the roommate system. Just add a bunch of beds, get some roommates, set the ownership for their computers and beds, and lock their doors! And they'll even pay rent! You can even add the trash chute and elevator now! Not exactly like the Sims 2 Apartment Life, but better than City Living Apartments. Anyone else excited for this? What are your plans? Retirement homes, boarding schools? It seems like there are a lot of opportunities with this new system.

Comments

• Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    I'm stoked to build some makeshift apartment with the roommate system. Just add a bunch of beds, get some roommates, set the ownership for their computers and beds, and lock their doors! And they'll even pay rent! You can even add the trash chute and elevator now! Not exactly like the Sims 2 Apartment Life, but better than City Living Apartments. Anyone else excited for this? What are your plans? Retirement homes, boarding schools? It seems like there are a lot of opportunities with this new system.

Elevators are still locked to penthouses unless a guru said otherwise?
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    I have CC elevators if that’s the case, but I’m super excited as well 😍

• Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    The roommate system is going to be a huge game play feature. I just build a basement apartment with a side entrance in my sims family home. I plan on renting it out to a few roommates while the kids go to university.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member

I saw one in the build/ buy catalogue for University on Origin, I hope it's not tied to dorms :/
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    Me too!! That's a real game changer right there. Quite simple feature that brings a refreshing life to the game. I'm so excited for roommates.

I'm buying DU anyways, but I was actually surprised rommates weren't included in todays update.
  • Options
    MoonfoxNightcryMoonfoxNightcry Posts: 296 Member
    I’ve built a small “neighbourhood” (or gated community) on a 64 x 64 lot. Each roommate gets assigned a bed within one smaller house, the door locked for them. My main sim finally gets to see her neighbours walking around, using the items and gardens I put between houses, and going to work and coming home. I’m so excited for it.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Those townie houses some players create based on San Francisco have purpose 🥳🥳 I just hope they use them correctly, saw a roommate in Deligracy’s roommate video standing outside the home because he had forgotten his key or didn’t receive one.
  • Options
    bixters wrote: »

I saw one in the build/ buy catalogue for University on Origin, I hope it's not tied to dorms :/

There is no dorms lot. It’s just university housing on top of a penthouse lot.

• Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Roommates is the only thing I like about DU. They are always young adults or older though, right? I can‘t wait for modders to open it up for children and teens and building a boarding school and living my childhood Zoey 101 fantasy. I think roommates will be a gamechanger for me like clubs in Get Together.
  • Options
    Roommates is the only thing I like about DU. They are always young adults or older though, right? I can‘t wait for modders to open it up for children and teens and building a boarding school and living my childhood Zoey 101 fantasy. I think roommates will be a gamechanger for me like clubs in Get Together.

In the meantime I’m just gonna put all the teens together in a house with a headmaster and call it a day 😂😂 Also someone made a thread about this! Great minds think alike.

• Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    So what's the difference between roommates and leaving sims that live with your main sim on full autonomy?
  • Options
    calaprfy wrote: »
    So what's the difference between roommates and leaving sims that live with your main sim on full autonomy?

Roommates are NPCs that you can’t control, they aren’t apart of tour household.

• Options
    ZzMANzZZzMANzZ Posts: 72 Member
    I am excited for this feature. I have always wanted my spouse to be a NPC and this will be a good option. I hope that I can create a strong relationship and even marry and not move into my household. Hopefully that will work. I like the gated community idea too.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,670 Member
    I do have a few hostels and retirement homes in my game. Mostly they do have tariffs above the §100 per day, so I will keep doing this in my own way. But - I plan to use the new room mate feature to fill empty rooms temporarily. It will at least secure the owner a minimum income during silent periods.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    I’ve built a small “neighbourhood” (or gated community) on a 64 x 64 lot. Each roommate gets assigned a bed within one smaller house, the door locked for them. My main sim finally gets to see her neighbours walking around, using the items and gardens I put between houses, and going to work and coming home. I’m so excited for it.

Love it! I remember there where some mobile home/trailer park lots on the Gallery so it'll be fun having stories based around those type of multi-home lots.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I honestly don't know what I want to do yet but this is one of those features in didnt know I needed until now!🤗🤗🤗🤗 it opens up so many opportunities.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    OMG! I didn't even know this was gonna be a thing in 'Discover University'... that's a BIG difference than 'City Living' apartments! I know they're not technically gonna be actual apartments, but it's definitely a really good substitute for the lack of being able to build them! :smiley:
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    OMG! I didn't even know this was gonna be a thing in 'Discover University'... that's a BIG difference than 'City Living' apartments! I know they're not technically gonna be actual apartments, but it's definitely a really good substitute for the lack of being able to build them! :smiley:

Right? I’m glad they made it possible. Maybe they knew all along roommates were gonna come with university, but then again it could fit with either pack truthfully 🤔

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,670 Member
    Excited to find out if a roommate unit can be housing to more than 1 sim? I'm already having single lodgers services in my worlds, and this will probably work fine there, but in some retirement homes there are couples in a unit.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    I am really excited over this as I have a few apartment buildings in my saved game.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Excited to find out if a roommate unit can be housing to more than 1 sim? I'm already having single lodgers services in my worlds, and this will probably work fine there, but in some retirement homes there are couples in a unit.

I think you can have as many sims as you have beds in the household. It looks like you can also ask specific people to be roommates, but probably only one sim at a time. But maybe you could ask the husband and then the wife and then assign them the same bed?

I hope in the future we can pick specific type of roommates, so maybe we can invite couples, elders, teens or sims from a certain club? Hopefully they do expand the feature to make them more like actual apartments.
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member

@AquaGamer1212 whose mod are you using?
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options

I wish they would just unlock elevators at this point. Just add a little animation and release it in a patch. Especially with the roommate system, a lot more people will probably be building apartment style housing.
  • Options
    troshalom wrote: »

@AquaGamer1212 whose mod are you using?

WEE Elevators Everywhere by LittleMsSam