Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why are there so many bugs in Realm of Magic?

I've been playing with Minerva Charm, and when she ranks up her spellcasting level past Virtuoso, it boots her back down to master, and continues to derank her as she gets more experience. I hope the bug doesn't carry on to my grandmaster vampires too, but I haven't tested that.

I expect the system to be similar to Grandmaster vampires, where she's able to continue getting points to spend on perks, but her Virtuoso rank stays the same, even when it reaches the end of the experience bar. This isn't what's happening, though.

I'm really disappointed in how many bugs Realm of Magic has. If this was properly play tested, then these wouldn't have been an issue. I can understand missing the CAS crashing that was already fixed, but to have potions costing 0 simoleons and this bug with the virtuosos is something that should have easily been found by testers.

EA doesn't seem to be testing with players in mind, or they're ignoring the feedback their testers give them and pushing the game out anyways. One of the first things anyone would think of when playing with spellcasters is to make a potion shop, or if you don't have get to work you can at least make money by selling potions in your inv. Any play tester would have found out they don't have a price value right away.

And if any decent amount of time was spent playing with the pack's premade families then they would have easily found the virtuoso bug just by playing with Minerva for a little bit.

And the buildings that Maxis made seem to all have been rushed in 5 minutes. I know there are item limits they have to go by when making lots, but that doesn't excuse the extremely ugly shells these houses have. Glimmerbrook and The Magic Realm are both really beautiful, but then the buildings inside those worlds are absolutely horrible. Compare these houses with the ones in the Vampires pack and you can really tell that the quality of sims packs has been thrown into the garbage bin.

This pack in general just seems like it was rushed out. Players shouldn't be bug testing for EA after already purchasing the game. None of these issues should exist in the first place. I can understand future packs and updates breaking RoM features later on, that's a normal issue for games with a lot of DLC. But this game pack should be working perfectly during its release.

I'm really disappointed with the way the quality of sims packs is going. I hope this issue is addressed and corrected before they release new occults again. I'm really hoping they at least do a good job with faeries and werewolves. :confused:

Comments

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I didn't expect it to work perfectly, I expected a few bugs. This is natural.

What I didn't expect was so many- it's partially why I have yet to purchase the pack. It's plausible that the glitch with points isn't a glitch at all, but intentional to keep spellcasters from becoming too powerful, but I doubt it.

But I think that most of the issues caused are not necessarily Maxis's fault, but rather EA's. EA is likely the one who controls the release dates, etc, and if this is true Maxis likely has little say in the matter. The Sims seems to be a bit of an "embarrassment" or something to EA, as it's always last to be shown in things etc. So, they don't bother allowing Maxis enough time to produce good quality content.

This is just a theory though, I have no idea what is really happening at the guru's end of the table that could possibly produce such buggy products.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    I have no idea why The Sims would be treated like an embarrassment or like an afterthought when it's one of their most successful franchises. The Sims has been popular ever since the early 2000's and has such a large fan base. If EA is doing Maxis dirty then they need to change that.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited September 2019
    We got a critical patch a week after release that fixed the worst, crash-to-desktop, bug.

We'll get another patch next month, like always. If you don't expect bugs in new content, I really feel like you've not done this very much. It's why I typically give a new pack a good six weeks or more. RoM had me excited. I am not disappointed, bugs or not. The problem you report with Minerva Charm is a known bug with magical bloodlines. I am sure they are eager to get it fixed. Things take time.

It isn't treated as an embarrassment or afterthought. QA is hard. How many bugs have you fixed since the 10th?
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I read that it took awhile for the Vampires game to work properly, so the Realm of Magic is probably the same.
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    I never encountered this derank bug... I like how everyone assumes bugs are EA's fault and not mods clashing with RoM... While I full-heartedly agree with Potions I never encountered that many issues besides the now fixed crashing and lack of decorating abilities.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    I never encountered this derank bug... I like how everyone assumes bugs are EA's fault and not mods clashing with RoM... While I full-heartedly agree with Potions I never encountered that many issues besides the now fixed crashing and lack of decorating abilities.

Some people may not be playing with mods, another thing some bugs can be activated with an certain routine you may not think you have one until you activated that certain routine. I do not use mods at all in my game so there is no assuming that it is always EA fault. Just because you may not experiencing any problems with bugs it does not mean nobody else is not.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GrouchybeastGrouchybeast Posts: 149 Member
    edited September 2019

The XP bug is made much worse by having the magical bloodline trait, so if your sims don't have that it might be why you don't see it. Although it does happen under other circumstances, too.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-ROM-Spellcaster-Level-Reset/td-p/8188878
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-ROM-Spellcaster-UI-causes-LUIEs/m-p/8199187#M104387
    "Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde
    I never play with mods ever, and the bug is happening to sims with weak/strong/ancient bloodline traits.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Yeah, it's a shame that this bug along with my bug where all my casters ported to other saves lose all their learned spells are pack-killers for me. I can't make new or change existing sims to casters anymore bc of these two specific bugs. I can at least live and workaround or mod out the other ones, but not these two.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Yes, it does feel like this was a rather buggy pack. Hope that a lot of them will be patched soon.
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    So far I feel my bugs with Realm of Magic have nothing to do with RoM. My Sims will constantly go to the dining room table and put the book on the table and then sit down before getting up to do something else. Even walk by the bookcase to do it.

Raking leaves near trees seems to get them stuck in trees and then I can't get them out. They just stand there like they can't move.

Maybe the sages were half way through adulthood or something but I've lost two sages to old age and now morgyn is an elder. But the first Sim I put through RoM is only an Adult. It just seems odd that even the "students" have aged quicker than my Sim did.

No mods. On console.
  • CharlieOllie1108CharlieOllie1108 Posts: 577 Member
    So far the only bug that was obvious that I've encountered were the unusual eye color options when making a witch... same goes for the hairs.

I would click on one of the color options that looked like it was gray with orange. I clicked and it was blue. I clicked another eye color and it wasn't what I clicked. I clicked back on the gray/orange and it was the purple eye color from base game. I tried numerous eye colors and they were all the same; completely the wrong color. I even tried the hairs that came with the pack and it was the same issue. I clicked on the dark blue and it was the brown, etc. Before anyone asks, I didn't have CC/Mods in the game when I did this.

Apparently I'm not the only one experiencing this. We were hoping today's update would fix it. Uh-nope.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    To my knowledge those are the only bugs, my twins are Virtuosos and it bumps down the older twin back to "Master" from time to time.
    but then sometimes my sim loses his magic perks. and when I go back in to reselect them (Because I have the extra Points) I can't because the Perk UI is glitched out i have to refresh the game to do it.

About the Potions not having Monetary value... While they should have monetary value, I kind of wish if a sim asked my Spell caster for Magic or a potion, the spell caster would respond "What's in it for me?" could be money, could be more ingredients, a collectable, could be an objects or just I'll owe you.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    So tried selling potions and... You can only sell them from inventory having a potion store does not 'work' they sell for 0
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    So tried selling potions and... You can only sell them from inventory having a potion store does not 'work' they sell for 0

so-close-yet-so-far-away-quote-1.jpg
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
    These issues were fixed in the most recent game patch, though I'm still disappointed with how rushed Realm of Magic ended up being. It doesn't even have a fourth picture in the game's description when you click on it's info. from the game's main menu like all the other packs have, they only made three of them.

I'm glad these issues are fixed and I can finally have a potions shop for my witches now, but I really should have been able to do that the week I bought the game. I hope they're more careful with future packs, especially other occults. I really don't want half-baked werewolves/faeries.etc. :/
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited November 2019
    At this rate, magic should cost a sim an arm, a leg, an eye, a blood sample, their first born and a soul.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif